Why you should be excited about The Search Part 1 !!!

The Search Part 1

You may remember this title from a similar post I did about The Promise Part 3 where I previewed the book and talked about why it is an exciting release. People seemed to enjoy that post so I thought I would do it again for The Search Part 1 which is released in just 1 week on March 20th in comic stores (April 2nd from Book stores and Amazon). I will of course have a review out on Wednesday assuming I can get the book, otherwise I will have it up as soon as I can read it.

The aim of this post is to explain why I believe The Search is a major and important Avatar release, but mainly to increase excitement about it.

I will go through the various reasons why I feel this should be a great book.

The Search Part 1

1/ This Book is the biggest thing in the Avatar Fandom since The Promise Part 3 came out.

I think it says a lot about the state of the fandom right now that my initial attempt to type out this headline read “This release is the biggest thing in the Avatar Fandom since Korra Book 1 finished”. Then I remembered that The Promise Part 3 actually came out post Korra book 1, we all thought it would be the book that keeps us going in our wait for more Korra. I never expected we would reach The Search Part 1′s release with no extra knowledge about when Korra Book 2 is coming.

This all means that The Search Part 1 is something for us as fans to focus on and distract ourselves from the wait for Korra. There is not much going on in terms of news right now, so why not check out the newest Avatar comic next Wednesday, it beats just sitting there waiting for Korra.

2/ The Search is for Ursa

I think if you asked the whole fandom what the biggest ATLA mystery is you would get 1 response: What happened to Ursa, Zuko’s Mother ?
Since 321 aired in mid 2008 it has been the biggest open plot point in all of Avatar, Toph’s relationship with her parents and Iroh’s past the only things coming even close. With this series the question is at last being addressed. Zuko at the end of The Promise is putting all of his effort into the search for his mother, he needs to have a resolution about it before he can get on with his life. We know from the preview and other panels from Part 1 we have seen that the book will delve into Ursa’s history, how she came to be married to Ozai and so on. How much of her history we will get in Part 1 is unknown, but we will for sure get a start on it here. For me that is fascinating, even more than just possibly getting an answer about where she is now, we are going to really get to know who Ursa is outside of being Zuko’s mom.
Given how much every Avatar fan out there has talked about this topic, how can you not get this book ? This is what we have all been waiting for.

3/ How are you Azula?

Ursa by herself would be enough to interest most fans, but The Search is also going to reintroduce us to Azula post mental breakdown in 321. How is she now after a year in a mental institution ? Does she, like Zuko, also want to see her mother again and resolve the issues they had when Azula was younger ? Will she hinder or aid the search ?

These are the sorts of questions that will undoubtedly be explored with Azula in a main role for this series. She has always been a fan favourite character, so how she is done in these comics is going to be huge. I am very interested in seeing what she is like, as you always wonder with her – How much of who she was was naturally who she was and how much was it her being raised almost alone by Ozai ? Can Azula be redeemed or is she still working for Ozai. So many questions that make her such a fascinating factor in these books.

Lets now look at Azula in a different light, moving away from her own feelings, how do the other main character feel about her? All of them have very good reasons to hate her and not want her joining the search. She killed Aang once which affects Aang and Katara, Katara herself was nearly killed by her, she captured and imprisoned Sokka’s girlfriend and also tried to kill him, she insulted Toph (Never a good thing to do) and of course has done everything in her power to bring Zuko down from trying to capture Aang to beat him and just plain kill him. So she is in a bad position with almost everyone she will meet, she is not going to get far if she reverts back to her usual ways. Meaning she will either have to prove she sincerely wants to find her mother or act well enough to make everyone believe her. All in all just as interesting as Ursa in my opinion.

4/ Getting to see some new places

From the preview we know that Zuko has been searching himself for Ursa by sending his men all over the place with no sign of her. Until Azula’s meeting with Ozai reveals the place where Ursa was born, Hira’a. This means that we will more than likely get to visit some very new places in the Avatar world on the search for Ursa. How did Zuko not know that his mother was from Hira’a ?

Adding to the Avatar World map is always great universe building and with Team Gurihiru doing the art once again the new areas are sure to impress.

Final Thoughts

The Search appears to be a more focused series than The Promise, in that we know the focus will remain on the group searching for Ursa with some flashbacks along the way. This should lead to some great character moments with a group together for long periods of time. The highlights that I am sure everyone is waiting for this book for are of course Ursa and Azula. This in itself is something The Promise never had, huge things we as fans were waiting for, The Search has 2 of the biggest things fans have waited for in Ursa and Azula. As I said earlier in the post, what is not to be excited for ?

Expect my review of The Search Part 1 to be up on the site this day next week (Assuming I can get a copy on Wednesday) and a podcast discussion of the book next Sunday.

I will end with this. With no Korra news expected soon, lets all get excited about The Search Part 1. Head out to your local comic store and pick up a copy if you can, show Dark Horse that you love Avatar comics and show Nick how well Avatar merchandise sells. This is the perfect thing to keep you occupied for a while as the wait for Book 2 approaches 9 months.

You can find where your local comic store is here:

The 7 Page preview of The Search Part 1 can be found here:

Also on March 21st I will be interviewing Gene Luen Yang, writer of The Promise and The Search series for the podcast. You can suggest questions for me to ask, by commenting below.

1. Avatar of Troy
    Troy Said: Comment by Troy on March 13, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Yet another thing in the Search will be the Toph side of the story with her meeting with the Yu Dao chief of police.

Avatar M Reply:

Really? I didn’t know that. Interesting…

Troy Reply:

Read more you might have missed.

2. Avatar of Joey
    Joey Said: Comment by Joey on March 13, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

:x i knew i should have waited to get it at a comic store! i just found one, but i already paid for part one on amazon. 12 extra days?!

You can just see if you can get it in a comic store and cancel the Amazon order if you do. Until it ships you can cancel it.

3. Mario Kart Ninja Said: Comment by Mario Kart Ninja on March 13, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

I’d like to see how Iroh handles being Firelord for the first time, after being skipped down to Ozai.

Also, and this is just a theory, I wonder if Toph’s husband ends up being the Police Chief’s son, but I doubt Toph wouldn’t end up with an established character…Come to think of it, Toph’s husband/Lin’s father isn’t all that of an important part of the story of TLOK or The Search. But you never know, it may be at some point.

Pinkfire Reply:

Interesting theory indeed. It would make a lot of sense :)

4. Avatar of katara's mommy
    katara's mommy Said: Comment by katara's mommy on March 13, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

I’d much rather see who this unknown man from the sneek preview, and what kind of relationship he had with ursa, and how he is going to be a influence with the gaang now. I like the first comment, what was discussed between a chief and a metal bending master on creating peace in a new aged world.

Much rather see him than what ?

katara's mommy Reply:

well, i have been anxious on knowing who that person is cuz he is linked to ursa, and ive been wanting to know about that subject for some time. i would love to just watch book 2 and discuss scenes that occur, but sadly we have to wait. ):

5. Sam Said: Comment by Sam on March 13, 2013 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Iroh’s past is way more important. Why didn’t he become Fire Lord? What happened to him in the Spirit World? Who was his son’s mother?

Why he didn’t become fire lord is because he never returned to the Fire Nation after Lu Ten’s death. This question does in fact more relate to Ursa’s involvement in Azulon’s death and Ozai gaining the birthright.

And while I do feel it is a story we should be told at some stage, I would not quite go as far as to say that his past is the most important story to tell. For me Ursa affects more characters: Ursa herself, Azula, Zuko, Ozai, Azulon and the people from her past. While Iroh’s is more of a very personal tale. A matter of perspective as to which is the more important :)

Sam Reply:

You’re right that Iroh’s tale is more personal. I guess I just really really love Iroh and I find Ursa’s tale to just be one of sacrifice. A mother’s sacrifice for her son. So– from an almost poetic perspective I don’t really care what happened to Ursa.

6. Avatar of Avatar Yangchen
    Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on March 13, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

i cant wait for the search part 1! :D (thats all that needs to be said)

@airspeed, i love how you put a rhetorical question as the title, it makes it seem even better 8-)

7. Avatar of ~ღєιяιиι-¢нαиღ~
    ~ღєιяιиι-¢нαиღ~ Said: Comment by ~ღєιяιиι-¢нαиღ~ on March 14, 2013 at 8:09 am | Permalink

IM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

8. Avatar of FairladyZ2005
    FairladyZ2005 Said: Comment by FairladyZ2005 on March 14, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Very excited about this!

A few questions for Mr. Yang. I don’t expect any or all of these to be used but since I don’t see too many questions listed so far:

Is Ursa a firebender? (Given the royal family’s emphasis on bending power and her bloodline being from Avatar Roku did she ever train her children in firebending and did Ozai marry her for her bending power?)

In the preview pages, Sokka is teased by some of the Gaang saying that handling Azula should be left to the benders. But if the Gaang goes to the Spirit World, this will level the playing field. How might Azula cope with being without her bending?

Any chance Zuko and Azula will run into Roku in the Spirit World or any of the rest of their dead relatives like Lu Ten or even Azulon whom Ursa presumably killed? Perhaps Azulon’s murdered spirit knows the full story of what happened that night?

When is the Free Comic Book Day Mai story set in relation to The Search? Does it take place between The Promise and The Search or between parts 1 and 2 of The Search? And how will Mai’s storyline dovetail into The Search?

What was the writing decision behind Toph not joining the Gaang and staying behind? Is she going to get her own side-story again?

Will we get to see any more progress on the creation of the United Republic? The Promise ended in a cease fire with Aang, Zuko and Kuei willing to negotiate “something new”, but the colonies still haven’t officially been declared independant quite yet.

I will include as many as I can, some may be answered by The Search Part 1 itself which will be out before the interview.

FairladyZ2005 Reply:

Thanks. Maybe some of them will be answered in part 1. I hope so. And I I hope I am not coming off as a question hog either. I hope other fans can come up with some better questions than me. I just wanted to try and get the ball rolling a bit. :-)

I have got others on tumblr, youtube and the thread in the comic section. You are just the first here :)

Troy Reply:

I have a question: How many times do you rewrite a scene?

9. Avatar of Pinkfire
    Pinkfire Said: Comment by Pinkfire on March 15, 2013 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

I agree with the fact that getting to know the “light” side of Azula is VERY interesting and appealing to many fans :)

Oh and I presume you’ve already seen this question before, but can you ask Mr. Yang if we’re going to see a side-story with Toph? She’s the favorite character of many people and it would be a shame if she can’t get even some slight info on what happens to her while the gang is searching for Ursa. :)

10. Avatar of momo2009
    momo2009 Said: Comment by momo2009 on March 16, 2013 at 10:13 am | Permalink

i just want this to be the last comic and that it answer all the fan question. :)

It won’t be since Part 2 and 3 of The Search are already confirmed as well as a Mai focused comic.
    Plus how on earth would 1 comic series answer all questions.

The more comics the better.

momo2009 Reply:

i meant the search as the last comic series. (part 1,2,3) i want more tv episode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or another series after korra. ANd are we still doing any trivia? crossword? @airspeed. Where is ricado and all the other mods?

Trivia and the game are still going on, the problem is just user activity, due to a lack of news. Trivia is in progress, Hyriu85 has not been on to continue it, I think because he is having internet trouble.
    No idea where Ricardo is, he never mentioned anything to me about going away for a while, so I assume he is just inactive due to the lack of news same with many of the other mods, not all.

As for more tv episodes, look at the situation we are in now. Waiting endlessly, without the comics the fandom would more than likely be non existent at this stage. Avatar cannot continue to just be a tv based property, it is a huge universe that has so many paths to explore. Comics are a way to explore some of these that does not keep us waiting as long as shows. It is not like the comics are taking up time that could be spent making shows.

11. Avatar of Atry
    Atry Said: Comment by Atry on March 17, 2013 at 4:18 am | Permalink

I found this interview with Gene Yang on the wiki, it has some interesting details:

I saw that earlier on today, some interesting facts, answers some of the questions I was thinking about asking him on Thursday.
    The timing of my interview with him works out well in that the book will be out before it :)