We may learn who Lin’s father is and the sub ability of Airbending at some stage in Korra !!!

Korra Logo Title

Some interesting news at last.

Korra Logo Title

This info comes from Momocon 2013, where Sifu Kisu (Martial Arts Consultants, Sifu Manny (Toph bending consultant) and Steve Blum (Voice of Amon) were in attendance and had a panel.

Naturally Korra questions were asked and answers were given. Thanks to Fangirlyfashionista on Tumblr we know what was said.

The first thing to note is that nothing was outright confirmed to appear, just hints. So while likely, they are not facts.

-We will see the sub bending of Airbending. The one element as of now that has no alternate ability will at last get covered.

Firstly, we’re gonna be getting a sub-bending form of airbending! Kisu said it was going to blow our minds.

-Sifu Kisu knows who Lin’s father is, meaning that it will be more than likely be revealed in upcoming episodes.

Also, he totally knows who Lin’s daddy is, but he was tight-lipped, so we’re gonna find out soon enough I’m sure.

We also do not know if these will be Book 2 things or not, just that they will more than likely be explored in future episodes.

Thoughts ?

1. Avatar of Airspeed Prime
    Airspeed Prime Said: Comment by Airspeed Prime on March 14, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows that this is a definite “May be revealed” and it is not confirmed for Book 2 as other sites may have reported. The source are the two lines I quoted.

2. Avatar of Demin
    Demin Said: Comment by Demin on March 14, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

A sub-bending form for airbending, you mean fartbending, right? But seriously, it’s gonna be awesome to see a new sub-bending form. Mastery over their respective sub-bending form has always made benders more epic. I’m also curious to find out about Lin’s father. Hope to see this stuff in book 2!

3. Avatar of Water-Tribe Heart
    Water-Tribe Heart Said: Comment by Water-Tribe Heart on March 14, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

What do they mean by sub- bending form? Like a different style of airbending? And I was hopeful on them releasing the info on who line father is and why we didn’t see him in book 1. Alas news is news and I appriciate the post! I’m so over waiting for book 2!

Waterbending has Bloodbending and Healing
    Earthbending has Metalbending
    Firebending has Lightning Bending
    Airbending as of now has no special ability or sub bending form.

6thRangerKnight Reply:

I’ve always had the head-canon that Air’s subset was soundbending; manipulating the air at the microscopic level to create the subtle pressure differences in the air that our ears pick up and process as sound.

Probably more technical than they’d likely get in a kid’s show, so that may not be it. Guess we’ll have to wait and find out.

Exactly my own thoughts, either it is soundbending or sucking air out of peoples lungs.
    If it is neither of these then it will be something we just did not see coming.

Demin Reply:

Airbenders don’t have a special ability? What about their gliders? We’re not used to think of it as a special ability because it was introduced right in the beginning of the show, but it sure is something special to be able to fly. And to some extent the wind sword featured in Sokka’s Master could be considered as different from regular airbending too. But those 2 are not the mentioned sub-bending form, as there is no way they are gonna ‘blow our minds’ (gotta love the pun)

4. Avatar of Avatar M
    Avatar M Said: Comment by Avatar M on March 14, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Yes, more news! :D

5. Avatar of HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader)
    HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader) Said: Comment by HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader) on March 14, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

So there is a good chance we may see a sub form of airbending, well it’s better than no news at all. Can’t wait till we get some sort of trailer on book 2.

6. Sogno Said: Comment by Sogno on March 14, 2013 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Thank you~~~ wow, I’m so excited to see who Toph’s babydaddy is lol, and what special bending comes with air~

7. zuko Said: Comment by zuko on March 14, 2013 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

it could be breath bending… …..!!!!!!!!!!:-):-):-):-)

8. Avatar of avatarem
    avatarem Said: Comment by avatarem on March 14, 2013 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

This is great news. Can’t wait to see the new sub-bending form. I wonder who Toph’s baby daddy is…. o_0

9. ApendageBender Said: Comment by ApendageBender on March 14, 2013 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

I think sucking the air out of an area, or just someones lungs, would be the most practical, considering how things progress so far.

But, it could also be some kind of air compression, which could either lead to a type of attack (like compressed air bullets out of a tube) or a flash-bang effect.

OR, they might even take the compression a step further, or at least a step more technical, and go with extreme blood oxygenation through some bending means.

But then there is always stepping up the compression of the air to the point where it is so dense, that the friction between the air molecules super heats the air and generates PLASMA.

Does anyone know what a Thermic Lance is? Lots of compressed air pushed through a tube and some heat that produces a flame to cut through thick steel like butter. So I’m guessing compression on a magnitude higher than that.

Still, all just baseless(but fun) speculation at this point.

Zuko Reply:

that was like the most complicated stuff ever

YangChen Reply:

That sounds too violent for airbending…:D

10. Avatar of Avatar Yangchen
    Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on March 14, 2013 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

cool, i cant wait to find out who lin’s father is! :D

Avatar Yangchen Reply:

well, that is if we do find out…

Avatar of

momo2009 Reply:

let hope we do get it in book 2.

Pinkfire Reply:

Actually the creators of the show have specified that Lin’s father’s identity will be revealed, but not in book 2 :(

~ღєιяιиι-¢нαиღ~ Reply:

me 2!

11. Avatar of Amonster
    Amonster Said: Comment by Amonster on March 14, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

I saw someone speculate that it’s “soundbending”, and I think that would be pretty cool.

12. Avatar of Waterbender
    Waterbender Said: Comment by Waterbender on March 14, 2013 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

Yeah, my though vacum bending or soundbending :P but where,s the thing i dont understand…. who will have such an ability? Tenzin? i dont think so, and problem there no more airbenders xD except his children but it would be strange too if his children would have such a power.

johnny Reply:

in the preview pictures of some places they showed a trap door at the southern air temple. perhaps some airbenders did survive after all, but kept themselves hidden and over the 170 years they developed this sub bending form. that´d be awesome imo.

but i think sucking the air out of peoples lunges would be a bit too heavy for a kids show. it would bring a new darker and more sophisticated twist to Korra, but i highly doubt that´s it.

Avatar of

momo2009 Reply:

well sucking air out of people lung can be used with regular airbending…. so i don’t think that would be a new sub airbending skill.

By the same logic bloodbending is nothing special either. Since Bloodbending is a special ability then the sucking out air of lungs would be considered a special ability.

13. Avatar of Meelo
    Meelo Said: Comment by Meelo on March 15, 2013 at 5:33 am | Permalink

I totally can not wait!!!! I hope its not a stupid really obvious sub bending form. I cant really think of what it could be. I suppose air is in everything, to technically they could bend water as oxygen is in water…. and rocks…. its hard to really think without as Johnny said above, getting too dark. Like, YES, they could suck all the air out of you and kill you but that is not only against the airbending nomadic culture but totally WAY to dark for this series (or is it?!) That sound bending sounds promising.

HMMMMMM.

Avatar of

momo2009 Reply:

i want something that not to obvious, like healing with waterbending.

14. Avatar of Waterbender
    Waterbender Said: Comment by Waterbender on March 15, 2013 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Hmm, healing not obvious at all….. but plantbending and bloodbending was pretty obvious

15. Avatar of Waterbender
    Waterbender Said: Comment by Waterbender on March 15, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

As i know, its very hard for benders to bend their element when they dont see it… so i think that makes bloodbending so special

16. Avatar of
    Dudley Manson Said: Comment by Dudley Manson on March 15, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Would Toph’s husband be necessarily be someone from ATLA?

If that’s true, I’m calling Haru.

I don’t know I’m just calling Haru.

Karis Reply:

It would be cool if it were Huru. But I think it would probably be The Duke.

MelonLordIsUponUs Reply:

Yeah, I think the duke too.

17. Avatar of Hyriu 85
    Hyriu 85 Said: Comment by Hyriu 85 on March 16, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Omg I was at that panmel but had to leave early o can’t believe that not I did get to meet Sufi luau AMD sorry if my spellings off I am on a phone

18. Avatar of malvin
    malvin Said: Comment by malvin on March 16, 2013 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Sub Bending of airbending!!! Wow!!

19. Avatar of Droc Plug
    Droc Plug Said: Comment by Droc Plug on March 17, 2013 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Totally The Duke

20. Avatar of Troy
    Troy Said: Comment by Troy on April 23, 2013 at 6:54 am | Permalink

The airbending could be sucking the air out of plants or animals molecules. Or sucking the air out of car and train pistons so they don’t move, or putting more air in so the move stronger.

Avatar of

momo2009 Reply:

that would not be interesting. :) i want something like healing with waterbending, something that use airbendering for another purpose. The only reason bloodbending was interesting because few people could do it and it *had a limit*…..but i guess senju dna changes everything and now everyone can used it. :)

Avatar of

momo2009 Reply:

@avatarmaniac789 funny??? :)

21. Avatar of YangChen
    YangChen Said: Comment by YangChen on July 6, 2013 at 6:33 am | Permalink

I always wanted toph and sokka to get married, but since that’s not an option, I’m rooting for the duke :P