Voice Actor for Korra (and others) Revealed, Tenzin, and other Characters

Janet Varney Voice Actor for Korra

Alot of new Avatar The Legend of Korra news coming in! There has been a plethora of cast and characters for Avatar The Legend of Korra announced, foremost of which is Korra’s Voice Actor who will be voiced by Janet Varney Best known for her work in TBS’s Dinner and a Movie.”  A large assortment of other characters has been announced as well.

Janet Varney Voice Actor for Korra

Janet Varney is the confirmed Voice Actor for Korra

Here is some other characters and their voice actors, Some of which the characters have never been heard of:

Tenzin's Voice Actor JK Simmons

Tenzin will be voiced by JK Simmons (Jameson from Spiderman)

Seychelle Gabriel

Seychelle Gabriel will be voicing a previously un-heard of character named Asami - Seychelle Gabrial played Yue in M Night Shyamalans The Last Airbender

I thought JK Simmons did a good job in Spiderman, very funny, JK Simmons Voice actor for TENZIN

Stay tuned for more great news about Avatar The Legend of Korra, looks like alot of new stuff is streaming in!

Here is some more Voice Actors from Avatar The Legend of Korra Announcements:

Kiernan Shipka as JINORA
Daniel Dae Kim as HIROSHI SATO”  (from LOST)
David Faustino as MAKO
Lance Hendrickson as LIEUTENANT

Looks like alot of talent is being put into Korra, freaking exciting that’s for sure.

Stay tuned for more news as it happens!

Hey everyone, I'm the Administrator / Programmer of the site. I love anything that's awesome, and am looking for new hobbies. Let me know if you have any ideas :)

1. Avatar of
    Tracy Said: Comment by Tracy on March 7, 2011 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Ooh I love getting tid bits like this. Need more!

2. Avatar of a_girl
    a_girl Said: Comment by a_girl on March 7, 2011 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

i listened to there voices on youtube they sounded epic. I’m confused too about jk simmions being the voice for tenzin. will this mean he is buff, older than we think, or just have an intresting voice? :/

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yeah JK Simmons should be very interesting to hear.

3. Avatar of Airspeed Prime
    Airspeed Prime Said: Comment by Airspeed Prime on March 7, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

That is alot of talent, Daniel Dae Kim is awesome loved him in Lost.

JK Simmons as Tenzin confuses me too, I think the voice will suit him just hard to picture it now.

Loving Seychelle Gabrielle being involved, nice to see someone from the movie involved.

Lance hendrickson always does great work, look forward to hearing that voice.

Dont know much about the others.

Having a character named Mako is an awesome tribute.

Avatar of

Tracy Reply:

Seychelle made a beautiful Yue.

As for Tenzin, he might be middle aged and not a kid, so that could make sense. I have to laugh. After you announced it, a few others tried to make it look like they discovered it. In the words of Azula. “Dumb-Dumbs” You beat them to it. Nyah nyah. LOL

Avatar of

Tracy Reply:

But of course I want to know where Dante Basco, Rob Paulsen, and Dee Baker fit into this. But will they tell us?? No…. I might have to send them a threatening (ie: No chocolate bunnies for them) email if they don’t tell us.

4. Kristin Said: Comment by Kristin on March 7, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Interesting…not really sure how jk simmons as Tenzin is going to sound though. His voice is so deep. xD
    I LOVE janet varney’s voice.

5. Avatar of llamagal
    llamagal Said: Comment by llamagal on March 9, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

this is awesome!!!!!!

6. justanotherperson Said: Comment by justanotherperson on March 18, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

I heard JK Simmions’ voicework and I have to say: A gruffy, angry man would not suit an air nomad. Mike and Brian, you better haven a good excuse for that one. I also heard Seychelle, and I think she’s going to do great. So much potential.

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yeah I think it’s mainly the parts he usually plays. I’m guessing in this they will focus more on his sarcastic witty side. Especially while training korra.

7. Avatar of Jon
    Jon Said: Comment by Jon on March 18, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

J.K. Simmons is an interesting choice. He’s a really good actor, and I can’t wait to hear more news from Korra.

8. Avatar of LightningSpeed-Zuko
    LightningSpeed-Zuko Said: Comment by LightningSpeed-Zuko on March 18, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

I think Janet Varney is a good fit as a voice actor for Korra…altho I have a hard time picturing her portraying a hot-headed character like Korra lol. I like her on TBS a lot too :-D

9. Avatar of Nuriko
    Nuriko Said: Comment by Nuriko on March 19, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

OOOOOOO!!! AMAZING! Now I SO can’t wait! Thanks @admin! WOWEE Janet Varney is beauty! Blond hair and blue eyes! :D Yeah I’m with ya there @coyote01. She looks TOO nice to be playing a snappy girl like Korra. Let’s see if her voice can act well :)

10. Avatar of llamagal
    llamagal Said: Comment by llamagal on March 19, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

On DeeBaker’s twitter he mentioned that the cast release WASN’T full

11. Avatar of
    Tracy Said: Comment by Tracy on March 24, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

David Faustino makes me nervous, I see him as Bud Bundy,

12. Avatar of llamagal
    llamagal Said: Comment by llamagal on April 2, 2011 at 8:38 am | Permalink

On an interview with David Faustino, he was able to say that his character, Mako,is tall and handsome
    scroll half way down

13. Avatar of purpleavatardragon
    purpleavatardragon Said: Comment by purpleavatardragon on April 4, 2011 at 7:35 am | Permalink

hay was it nov 2011 the show was to air what they change it to now

Admin / Jordash Reply:

The estimated release date is now Fall 2012

Matthew Reply:

Wait, is it Mid-2012?

Yes the release date is confirmed as Mid 2012, it was fall 2011 but with 14 more episodes they have pushed the date back.

Avatar of

Tracy Reply:

Good things come to those who wait? Maybe it’s also being pushed back so that it will be cast all over the world and not just in the USA. That’s my hope because so many of you aren’t in the states. You’re as hardcore a fan as anyone else. I’m hoping on hope that they will broadcast it the same time. What if we asked them to? Think that would work?

I am pretty sure the date has been pushed back so that they can air all 26 episodes in a row and not a big break between 12 and the other 14.

I hope they air it everywhere at once for their own sake in terms of ratings.But knowing Nick and most animated tv shows the USA will get it first followed closely by Canada and NA.
    Who knows when europe and the rest of the world will get it.
    I hope they get the airing correct.

14. Avatar of
    Tracy Said: Comment by Tracy on April 18, 2011 at 11:30 am | Permalink

This might just be a shot in the dark, but what if we all compiled a letter to the execs. at Nick asking them if they could broadcast it worldwide. It wouldn’t hurt anything. Someone could compile the letter and we could all put our names down on it. It’s worth a try?

Admin / Jordash Reply:

I’m hoping it’s available at streaming resources like Amazon / Hulu / other places, I guess we’ll find out.

15. Avatar of Matthew
    Matthew Said: Comment by Matthew on April 18, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

MORE GOOD NEWS: There are 2 new voice actress revealed and 2 new characters confirmed.

1.) Darcy Rose Byrnes as Ikki
    2.) Maria Bamford as Pema

I wouldn’t say that is 100% confirmed, IMDB is not the best source, I want to know where they found it out from.
    Because I cant find that on anywhere other than IMDB.

Not Confirmed yet

Though if it is it is slightly concerning that there are so many characters for such a small series, 26 episode and we are at around 14 VA confirmed if this is true.

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yeah usually IMDB is a good source because they go through a verification check of their information.

Usually they are better than most sources, but in this case you’re right they don’t have any back-up information.

But the source is fairly credible although we don’t know who those characters are, they might even be just 1-episode characters if you know what I mean.

Yeah probably some 1 shot characters, but the way they reported alot if them in a cast announcement with the main cast is a bit weird, Korra ,Tenzin, loads of one shotters.

A bit weird.

IMDB need to put up a source for that info.

16. Avatar of llamagal
    llamagal Said: Comment by llamagal on April 19, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Yeah to Airspeed Prime it may seem like a lot of characters but like Admin/Jordash said they could just be 1 episode characters

17. oxymus612 Said: Comment by oxymus612 on May 18, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Is there any art in tenzin or any other significant characters besides korra?

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yeah we haven’t seen anything official on any of the other characters, hopefully soon though.

18. oxymus612 Said: Comment by oxymus612 on May 19, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

What about their background? Like what about sokka and suki? Do they have a kid? Or toph ringing someone? Are they descendants?

19. oxymus612 Said: Comment by oxymus612 on May 19, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

I mean does toph find someone which helps create one of these new characters

20. mo-z Said: Comment by mo-z on June 7, 2011 at 4:15 am | Permalink

hey…I just heard about the new series…Legend of Korra…..but…from what I’ve heard…its a mini series…..so…..if Nickleodeons wants to make the new avatar episodes….continously about aang and his friends…I’ve got one interesting storyline….on how the new series should be about…..hoping that Nickleodeons would pay attention on my storyline……

Admin / Jordash Reply:

It was originally announced as a mini-series but they’ve since changed it to become a full out series with double the amount of episodes.

21. Avatar of Kelly
    Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on June 7, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Im really intrested to see J.K. Simmons as Tenzin because ive been playing Portal 2, and he sounds pretty deep and stuff. He really is a very good voice actor im just surprised Aangs son could have a tough voice. Not sure if you know what i mean by that

22. oxymus612 Said: Comment by oxymus612 on June 8, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

You know how cool it would be to be the next avatar and you could go into different worlds?!!?! Ahem. . . Sorry got excited, but anyhow, with the series comin a lil later, like next year, I would really hope the aang gang could leave like somethin legendary to korra. Like what if like katara’s necklace was a way to unlock a hidden power within her, or sokka’s booming was bendable in a way somethin she could take with her and still have the original characters thru the series

23. oxymus612 Said: Comment by oxymus612 on June 8, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

You know how cool it would be to be the next avatar and you could go into different worlds?!!?! Ahem. . . Sorry got excited, but anyhow, with the series comin a lil later, like next year, I would really hope the aang gang could leave like somethin legendary to korra. Like what if like katara’s necklace was a way to unlock a hidden power within her, or sokka’s boomerang was bendable in a way somethin she could take with her and still have the original characters thru the series

24. Avatar of llamagal
    llamagal Said: Comment by llamagal on June 25, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

I read on IMDb that the character ‘Bolin’ played by P.J. Byrne will be a main character. Considering that some of the characters that were released probably aren’t main characters, i thought that was some news. Even though IMDb isn’t the ‘best’ resource they could be right! But I’m gonna believe it until they’re proven wrong!! =D

NO you are correct PJ Byrne is confirmed to be playing Bolin, that is all we know. He may or may not be a main character. He was actually confirmed in the same post that confirmed all the above characters but the post was then updated after this new post went up.

IMDB as you say is not a reliable source, they have 3 other characters: Pema, Skoochy and Ikki which are not confirmed as of yet.

Matthew Reply:

Wait? Where does it saids “Bolin is one of the Main Character” in IMDb?

I think it is just because he is listed in the cast there, We don’t actually know if he is a main character.

llamagal Reply:

it was on the bio. But we can’t be sure!

25. ham177 Said: Comment by ham177 on June 29, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

This is go be great

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yeah it looks like it has a ton of potential!

26. AnAvatarFan Said: Comment by AnAvatarFan on August 5, 2011 at 12:42 am | Permalink

Okay so, I know Aang and Katara hook-up, they got busy, and Tenzin is one of their accolmplishments…but I can never see original cartoon images of Aang’s spirit, the older katara, or a picture of Tenzin anywhere on google! If anyone finds one, can u atleast tell me what to look up and what to look for(like the background, what they look like, etc.)

Admin / Jordash Reply:

I don’t think we’ve had any pictures of Spirit Aang, but we do have a picture of Tenzin, you can see it here: http://avatarthelastairbenderonline.com/airbender-legend-korra-panel-news/

The Statue of Older Aang in the Korra Trailer may give an idea of what Spirit Aang will look like ?

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yeah that’s what i’m guessing as well.

27. Avatar of Dom
    Dom Said: Comment by Dom on August 6, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

I actually thought about this too: I’m not sure how they will make Avatar Aang look when we’re shown his avatar spirit. The show seemed to vary greatly with the age of the avatar spirits. Avatar Roku was well in his old age when his spirit contacted Aang, whereas Avatar Kuruk, Kyoshi, and Yang Chen were all simply of adult age (30-40′s). I wonder this was just a random observance, or that the image of their spirit is when they had died and the Avatar cycle has moved on to another.

- Dom 8)

Actually just thinking of this now, but the Avatar Spirits we see seem to take the appearance of any statue of them that we see.
    YangChen looks like she does in the Eastern Air Temple, Roku Looks just like his statue in the hall of Avatars,. Kyoshi just like her statue in Kyoshi Island.
    The problem with your theory would be that Kyoshi was 230 when she died,
    Roku is the odd one out.
    It could be they take the appearance as they were in the most critical moment in their life.

I would both love and hate it if the answer was just random.

I really don’t think they will go for 12 year old Aang as the spirit guide, which is why the Statue of an older Aang seems perfect

Dom Reply:

Very good point, airspeed. Plus I don’t see ATLA taking the “it was just random” approach anyways.

- Dom 8)

28. Avatar of llamagal
    llamagal Said: Comment by llamagal on August 20, 2011 at 7:32 am | Permalink

For some reason I keep thinking Hiroshi Sato is like the announcer at the Pro-bending (with the last name and all) he sounds kinda like… IDK!

29. The Homicidal Banana Said: Comment by The Homicidal Banana on September 18, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Dude, I cannot wait

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yeah it looks like Korra is going to be Awesome!

30. Avatar of Hannah230
    Hannah230 Said: Comment by Hannah230 on September 3, 2012 at 9:51 am | Permalink

I can’t wait for book two

31. Avatar of Krazyasian808
    Krazyasian808 Said: Comment by Krazyasian808 on December 6, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

I think the best person or voice actor for the equalist side was the guy who voiced the lieutenant.