Tonraq and Unalaq Information (Update – Eska, Desna and Varrick info)

Update/ Wow I totally predicted info on Eska, Desna and Varrick. Thanks to ComicsAlliance we now have bios for these 3 characters also.

Eska and Desna

“Korra’s cousins are sixteen year-old twins who have a strange connection and seem to communicate without saying a word.  They’re both Waterbenders, and when they work together they can accomplish amazing feats, such as shooting entire icebergs at opponents.  Korra has always found them incredibly annoying because they look down on her for being a rube from the South, even though she’s the Avatar.”

Varrick

“Billionaire shipping magnate from the Southern Water Tribe.  He’s a little eccentric, but very charismatic.  He spends most of his time traveling the world on his monster yacht and living a fabulous lifestyle.  Born a poor seal-hunter’s son, he built his business from a single canoe into a global power.  A consummate dealmaker, he’s always looking for angles to expand his business empire.  He is currently making a deal with Asami to become Future Industries’ shipping partner. There are rumors that he deals with underworld characters and gangsters if he thinks it will turn a profit, but that has not been verified.”

I love the idea that the twins are so connected and the relationship with Korra should be interesting. How much Varrick plays into Book 2 as a whole will be fascinating to see also.

As you all know The Legend Of Korra Enhanced Experience is coming out tomorrow July 2nd on Itunes, but we are not overly sure what exactly it is.

Thanks to MTV Geek we get a better idea what it is and some more content from it.

They confirm that it will be FREE on itunes from tomorrow at http://itunes.com/Korra

The new content they have is all about Korra’s father, Tonraq and his brother Unalaq.

Tonraq“Tonraq was a general in the Northern Water Tribe and next in line to be the Chief. As a warrior, he relied on his physical strength to protect the tribe and was never very connected to the spiritual world. He is brash and hotheaded, not unlike Korra. Now living in the South, he’s determined to live a simple life. But when fate intervenes, he’s forced to lead his people in battle against his own brother.”

Unalaq“Tonraq’s younger brother. He is an incredibly powerful Waterbender who also has a strong connection with the Spirit World. Because of his deep spiritual connections, he always believed that he was better suited to rule the North and the South than his older, brutish brother. He’s a firm believer in the old ways of the Water Tribe and a true fundamentalist when it comes to honoring the Spirits.”

So this definitely gives us a better idea of what it is, seems to be a digital preview guidebook to Korra Book 2. It is excellent news that it is free.

The news on the two brothers is fascinating as it really gives us an idea of at least one story that will be explored in Korra, that of the conflict between Tonraq and Unalaq, South vs North. Not to mention how Korra will play into this with her being a spiritual being, yet having the personality of her father.

If we get the same level of character info for people like Varrick, Desna and Eska, this “Enhanced Experience” will be a must get tomorrow.

We will try our best to have most of the content up on the site tomorrow.

Thoughts ?

Korra Air Date Revealed and New Trailer
More Comic Con news
Airspeed's Editorials - My Book 2 Spirits Preview
The Legend Of Korra Video Game Villain Revealed

1. Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on July 1, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

this seems really interesting. i cant wait until tomorrow 🙂 but i thought that tonraq’s and unalaq’s personalities would be opposite of each other. its going to be very interesting to see them in book 2.

2. Derrick Said: Comment by Derrick on July 1, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

I like tonraq better but unalaq has better hair

Troy Reply:

Yeah but Unalaq has a better cloak thing. I like both so far as characters based on what I think they will provide to the show. Unalaq= being to spiritual and Tonraq the brick wall family man that really cares about Korra. Tonraq is a better person but I like both thus far.

3. Azulan Said: Comment by Azulan on July 1, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Is it just me, or does this physically overpowering older brother vs cunning younger brother dynamic sound very familiar?

Thor/Loki, Mufasa/Scar and maybe even Amon/Tarrlok?

I don’t think it is as simple as that. Just from the descriptions the main thing between them would be Unalaq being spiritual and Tonraq not. Unalaq is all about the old ways, which could hint at him being extremely traditional while Tonraq is not.
    Not to mention their conflict would likely revolve around Korra.
    So while the obvious comparison to make are those you mentioned, there is not much there really.

Christine Reply:

It should be a very interesting storyline hopefully. Especially with Korra being the avatar, I’m sure her uncle would’ve wanted her to be a lot more traditional growing up or at least advised on it. Wondering now how Tonraq gave that up to move to the south.

Azulan Reply:

Granted Airspeed, I’m just saying that was the impression I got. it looks familiar to me. Oh definitely, the plot is going to revolve around her, I’m just disappointed that every piece of news we get about Unalaq (A guy with a name like that, is not lasting two seasons), he is a “bad guy”. This new info reinforces that in almost every way, and now the brothers are pitted against each other! I’m calling it now, Unalaq is going to have a spirit horde under his command that will eventually turn on him, and “consume” him (Scar’s demise).

I think the main villain(s) should be the twins. They be creepy!

4. Nico Robin Said: Comment by Nico Robin on July 1, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

I like that where getting more info on the new korra characters coming into the show.

5. Shiney Said: Comment by Shiney on July 1, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Interesting! Especially with the conflict between the South and North – I’m wondering how THAT will play into the larger conflict.

6. Sogno Said: Comment by Sogno on July 1, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Awesome news! So the whole spiritual focus will also pull in not just Korra but her family as well. I was not expecting the North/South conflict at all. Thanks for this great info.

7. Troy Said: Comment by Troy on July 1, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

I’m excited now.

Do we know what time tomorrow?

8. Water-Tribe Heart Said: Comment by Water-Tribe Heart on July 1, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

so somehow, korras uncle is going to be some sort of guide towards the spirit world for her.

um, it says “” he always believed that he was better suited to rule the North and the South than his older, brutish brother. “”

does the Avatar Universe have one single Chief for both Water Tribes?

Things may have changed in the 70 years since ATLA.

I think from SDCC last year Unalaq is the NWT Chief. Perhaps the south no longer has a chief and they just rule themselves, which the super traditional Unalaq does not like, hence why he would consider him self chief of the North.

Should be an interesting backstory to get into.

YangChen Reply:

I think now that the tribes are more connected, they might share a government

9. YangChen Said: Comment by YangChen on July 6, 2013 at 6:38 am | Permalink

BOOK 2 COME OUT NOW!!!!!!!! awesome background info that, if possible, makes me even more excited for book 2

10. Tonraq Said: Comment by Tonraq on September 15, 2014 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

so wat color is tonraqs belt and shoes in that pic