The Search Part 3 Six Page Preview

Part 3-1

I was not expecting this so soon. The Search Part 3 is not out until October 30th in comic stores, yet here we have a 6 page preview for the book. I believe this preview comes from the Amazon Kindle store.

Here are the pages

Part 3-1

Part 3-2

Part 3-3

Part 3-4

Part 3-5

Part 3-6

The first thing I noticed was that this was a 6 page preview when we usually get a 7 page preview, so I assume in a month or so we will get another page or a new preview.

That said, these pages that we have are pretty awesome. I never even considered that the Spirit Pools were linked underwater, so this makes for some great underwater action and a great way for Gurihiru to showcase their great style underwater. In terms of the story I suppose it answers one cliffhanger, in that Misu and Rafa both seem alive here when Azula was just shooting lightning at them in Part 2. The Mother Of Faces looks brilliant as ever, I am not too sure what to take from what she is saying, I have a feeling the next page is key.

Thoughts ?

1. Avatar of Avatar Yangchen
    Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on July 31, 2013 at 9:46 am | Permalink

interesting…im guessing this takes place near the beginning. but i am surprised to see the mother of faces not in the spirit world.

I would assume there are a couple of pages beforehand and perhaps an Ursa flashback. As something has to explain why Misu and Rafa are ok and not dead from Azula’s lightning and why Zuko and Azula so not appear to be present.

2. Avatar of HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader)
    HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader) Said: Comment by HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader) on July 31, 2013 at 10:01 am | Permalink

This is an interesting preview of the search part 3 indeed. Is Aang using an airbending bubble to get under water or is it a combination of airbending and waterbending? It looks different than the bubble Korra uses.

I am assuming Airbending due to the swirling effect on the bubble, not to mention it is a perfect sphere and not moving like water.

3. Avatar of Korra Watermaster
    Korra Watermaster Said: Comment by Korra Watermaster on July 31, 2013 at 11:49 am | Permalink

its so interesting to see that everything in the forest including under water that everything has a face, and its all different face expressions. there is a complete difference between the mother of faces and koh the face stealer

4. Avatar of Auddy07
    Auddy07 Said: Comment by Auddy07 on July 31, 2013 at 11:51 am | Permalink

I still think it’s weird their mom is a tree spirit thing haha, I just want Zuko and Azula to talk to her =)

That is not confirmed, not to mention there is another theory that Ursa may be Nuriko that makes more sense. Not to mention What the Mother Of Faces says here kind of confirms she is not Ursa.

Auddy07 Reply:

Noriko could make since, but she doesn’t really look like Ursa, it’s only been like what 10 years since they saw her last right?

5. Sam Said: Comment by Sam on July 31, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Wait, so part two already released?

Yes, part 2 has been out nearly a full month now.

6. Avatarfan Said: Comment by Avatarfan on August 1, 2013 at 8:19 am | Permalink

Awsome! Waiting for it!

7. Avatar of ZukoATLA
    ZukoATLA Said: Comment by ZukoATLA on August 2, 2013 at 2:23 am | Permalink

I really can’t wait! It seems interesting but getting over the fact that Iroh is not Zuko’s uncle is still very hard to adjust to.

Stefan Reply:

Ozai wanted to become Fire Lord right after the death of his nephew, Lu Ten and didn’t care about his daughter, Azula and his brother, Iroh. He killed his father, Azulon to become Fire Lord. So it doesn’t matter if Zuko was his son or not. Zuko does look like him and this the only proof supports Zuko being Ozai’s son.

ZukoATLA Reply:

I just feel that all his character developement in this case was just irrelevant. And Zuko isn’t even in line for the actual throne. I was just really surprised and am still trying to get my head around it. O.O

It is not confirmed and won’t be until Part 3 reveals if he is Ozai or Ikem’s son.
    Plus remember what Iroh said “Someone new must take the throne” sure he meant Zuko take over from Ozai as next in line, but Iroh chooses Zuko because of what he stands for not his blood.

Stefan Reply:

Iroh talked to Zuko about his struggle represented by what he thought was his blood at least. It could work out for Zuko if Iroh declared him the rightful to the throne based on Zuko’s qualification and/or Azula let him get rid of the letter before returning to the Fire Nation. All the evidence points to Zuko being Ikem’s son except Zuko looking like Ozai.
    The problem with the letter wasn’t Zuko’s struggle and what he stood for which they were real. It was Zuko resembling Ozai obviously. It won’t be a surprise if the Mother of Faces gave baby Zuko a baby Ozai’s face. :)

Shiney Reply:

It’s like a crime story – all evidence building in the two first halves to lead the audience to believe something only to, in the end, reveal it to be a false lead.

I will honestly be more surprised if Ozai is not Zuko’s father, than if it confirms him to be. I don’t think they’d change something so integral to the series this far in.

Also, when Ozai confronted Ursa with this? She said, ‘don’t be a fool Ozai’, but obviously they weren’t going to show the audience her fully denying it.

There’s also the fact that, with Ursa’s hair growth since the ‘abduction’ and the wedding, it’d make no sense that no one would have discovered she was pregnant.

Anonymous Reply:

I firmly disagree that Zuko looks like Ozai. His face looks more like Ursa’s and Roku’s. I don’t want Ikem to be his father, don’t misunderstand, but to keep insisting this isn’t the case solely because he “looks so much like Ozai” doesn’t really hold when their features are more DISsimilar than similar if you take a closer look.

stefan Reply:

It was mentioned in Avatar The Art of The Animated Series book, Avatar Extras and Nick’s old site that Zuko looked like Ozai.

Anonymous Reply:

Those sources said Ozai’s design was “based on” Zuko’s, not that they actually look like each other; there’s a difference. Looking at the actual characters, I don’t see the resemblance. Neither do other people I know. This makes it contestable.

Stefan Reply:

According to Nick’s old site, Ozai is the older scarless version of Zuko. I don’t think he looks like Ikem.

Anonymous Reply:

If that’s the case, that really is a strange comment for them to make, since his design shares more in common with Azula’s than Zuko’s. I don’t think Zuko looks like Ikem, either, but you don’t always have to look like both your parents. Some people don’t look like either biological parent. I do think Zuko looks more like a male version of Ursa over having a definitive resemblance to Ozai.

stefan Reply:

When Katara looked at Ozai’s baby picture in The Phoenix King, she thought that was Zuko. So Nick, Bryan,Mike and Katara think that Zuko looked like Ozai. :)

The comic attempts to make you think Ikem and Zuko are similar, he uses two prop broadswords to fight for Ursa, he looks reasonably like Zuko, his personality seems more like Zuko (pre scar). Goes on a journey on his own to the forgetful valley is kind of similar to Zuko’s journey during his banishment.
    They do kind of compare the two, but I think that is very much to make you believe the Part 1 cliffhanger. How exactly things are resolved in Part 3 we will have to wait and find out in a month.

8. Avatar of Hyriu 85
    Hyriu 85 Said: Comment by Hyriu 85 on August 2, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Wow perfect timing I got The Search Part 2 yesterday and read it yesterday and it was fantastic and now the preview is also great it feeds right off part 2′s ending.

9. Bubu Said: Comment by Bubu on September 16, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Is The Search Part 3 will be the last one? and if wont – how many more can we expected?

It is the last part of The Search comic series, but there will be a new 3 part story called The Rift coming afterwards.

Bubu Reply:

I`m so glad to hear that :) I`v got another question – how often do they release those parts?

Sorry about the late reply, but the release schedule seems to be. 5 months between Part 3 of the last series and the start of a new one and then 4 months between the parts of each series.

10. Avatar of Arpakasso
    Arpakasso Said: Comment by Arpakasso on September 20, 2013 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

the mother of faces has a lot of pride in what she creates.

maybe the line: “in each face I put a piece of my being” is a key to something?