The Rift Part 1 Description

The Rift 1

After being announced a while back, we at last have a brief description of The Rift Part 1.

The Rift Part 1

Here is the cover with all of the titles.

The Rift 1

AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER — THE RIFT PART 1 TP

Gene Luen Yang (W), Michael Dante DiMartino (W), Bryan Konietzko (W), and Gurihiru (A/Cover)

Avatar Aang asks his friends to help him honor Yangchen’s Festival — one of the highest Air Nomad holidays, which hasn’t been celebrated in over one hundred years.

But cryptic visits from the spirit of Avatar Yangchen herself lead Aang to discover a jointly owned Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom refinery — operating on land sacred to the Airbenders! Is this the cause of the pollution Aang finds there, or is a more mysterious menace afoot?

80 pages, $10.99, in stores on March 5.

Big YangChen focus has me super excited as she is the least explored of the Avatar’s we know. We know some of the others backstory, while with her all we know is that she was the Avatar in an era of peace and that she is very wise. Definitely not what I was expecting in terms of the story of this series, but this has taken me by surprise in a good way.

Thoughts?

1. Avatar of Shiney
    Shiney Said: Comment by Shiney on October 18, 2013 at 11:43 am | Permalink

I was really looking forward to this comic before, but now I’m positively EXCITED, more so than I am about The Search part 3, actually.

Airbending culture, Yangchen, sacred lands of the airbender? YES, PLEASE.

2. Avatar of YangChen
    YangChen Said: Comment by YangChen on October 18, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

This is so awesome!! I love airbenders and Yang Chen has always been my fave avatar!
    I had assumed the comic would be about earthbending because of its name, the rift

3. Avatar of Hyriu 85
    Hyriu 85 Said: Comment by Hyriu 85 on October 18, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

I can not wait to learn more about yangchen!!

4. Avatar of stefan
    stefan Said: Comment by stefan on October 18, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Looks interesting! Is there any upcoming interview with Gene Yang after the release of The Search Part 3 to ask if The Rift will answer unaswered questions from The Search? Zuko doesn’t appear on the cover , for a change. :)

I am going to try and organise an interview, not sure if it will happen, but I will try.

5. Avatar of Avatar Yangchen
    Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on October 18, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

by the looks of this we will finally get a backstory for avatar yangchen. this sounds very interesting, but what will tophs focus be?

The description doesn’t mention it, but when The Rift was first announced it was mentioned that it would also focus on the building of Republic City. I assume we will see some or the origin of the metalbending police with Toph and her students.

6. Avatar of Hannah230
    Hannah230 Said: Comment by Hannah230 on October 19, 2013 at 11:48 am | Permalink

that sounds so cool I can’t wait to get it!!!!

7. Avatar of avataraang
    avataraang Said: Comment by avataraang on October 23, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Can’t wait any longer for this series to come out :D

8. Avatar of avatarkpossible
    avatarkpossible Said: Comment by avatarkpossible on November 16, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

i cant’t wait to read it! Cant wait to learn about avatar yanchen