The Promise to get Hardcover Collection in February!!! (Update 16th September)

The Promise Hardcover

Yes, what I predicted on the podcast has come to pass, we will be getting a hardcover Collection of The Promise, a “Library Edition”. It is effectively all 3 parts collected into one book. The accompanying Image we assume is the cover

The Promise Hardcover

Now this is very interesting for a couple of reasons

1/ This means that we will be getting all of the promise at a bigger size as opposed to the digest sized parts, this means bigger pages and thus bigger panels and we can see Team Gurihiru’s art in all of it’s glory.

2/ This could feature extras about The Promise like concept art and creator commentary. This is just my guess based on other hardcovers.

Out February 2013.

My reaction – TAKE MY MONEY NOW DARK HORSE!!!!!!

UPDATE 16TH SEPTEMBER.

Thanks to Dark Horse’s official site listing this book we have more info.

-The book will be released February 20th 2013 in comic stores and March 5th from Amazon and regular book stores.
-The Book is 9 inches by 12 inches, which means it is the same size as the Art book, nearly 2 times as big art.
-240 Pages which would be about 220 for the story and leaving 20 for extras
-Those extras are confirmed to be a sketchbook, which may or may not be similar to the slides that Gene Yang Showed us on youtube when Part 1 was coming out.
-The retail price is $39.99 , but Amazon have a preorder for about $26

ATLA Episode Reviews - 314-317
Avatar Free Comic 2015 "Sisters" Scans and Review
ATLA panel at SDCC on Sunday July 24th, Korra not mentioned.
North and South Part 2 Out Tomorrow January 25th in Comic Stores

1. momo2009 Said: Comment by momo2009 on September 12, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

COOL !

2. Ricardo Said: Comment by Ricardo on September 12, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

*Empties bookshelf*

This will require its own personal space. 😎

Kelly Reply:

same, Im gonna need another Space for all my avatar stuff (shrine) at this rate. seriously I cant fit anything else in there!!

Joey Reply:

i have so many shelves full of books. I dont have space for anything else without stuffing it in, so i just put the books next to my drawings on my desk until i make space.

3. HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader) Said: Comment by HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader) on September 12, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Equalists fetch me a dozen copies of that book!

4. Ricardo Said: Comment by Ricardo on September 12, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

After staring at the image for awhile, I have realised that I’m not a big fan of Ozai’s new beard…

I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it seems very… unusual… 😛

Avatar Yangchen Reply:

lol 😛

5. Airspeed Prime Said: Comment by Airspeed Prime on September 12, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Comics have blown me away today, first the Transformers More Than Meets The Eye Annual comes out and is amazing.
    Then this announcement, The Promise with full sized art, Yes.

6. Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on September 12, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

thats really cool 😀 even though i have 2 out of the 3 comics, i will still get the hardcover version

KoolKorra Reply:

You sure about it? I was already planning to get the third book on opening day. I might as well keep the promise books or i can give em to my best friend who loves avatar as well as i do.

DragonMoose134 Reply:

yeah, i don’t think im gonna get them due to the fact that i too have 2/3 comics. but then again im not really a “super” fan like my friend who got me involved in this…

KoolKorra Reply:

maybe you can get the Promise collection and maybe give the books to your friend

7. Ricardo Said: Comment by Ricardo on September 12, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

8. CosmoSpiritVarie417 Said: Comment by CosmoSpiritVarie417 on September 12, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

ASDFGHJKL!!! I’M SO HAPPY!!! BUT I ALREADY HAVE THE INDIVIDUALS, AND PART 3 PRE ORDERED!!!! DX ……..oh, well, just gonna have to buy this, because….. THIS IS A NEEEEEED!!! hehe, my mom would call this useless shoppiing but IDC!!! 😀

Hardcover > Everything

The logic is perfect, infallible

Ricardo Reply:

I totally agree.

Whenever I buy a book, I always go out of the way to see if a hardcover version is available, then I’ll get it no matter how much more expensive it is than the softcover. 😛

momo2009 Reply:

please no bad language, ( i think?) 😛

why not save your money for a lok dvd or something. 😉

momo2009 Reply:

you must have ton of yuan, this lemur isn’t related to the sato, so not happening. 😛

momo2009 Reply:

she remove the bad language, now i look like a lying lemur. 😛

9. Rabadoo Said: Comment by Rabadoo on September 12, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

My Avatar shelf is getting quite full. TIME TO CLEAR A SECOND SHELF.

10. GBAMario Said: Comment by GBAMario on September 12, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Does anyone know if this or the other comics will be avaliable through the Dark Horse Digital store sometime in the future?

The Hardcover definitely not, too big to release digitally.

I am not too sure why the parts are not up digitally individually, probably for the same reason. GN’s don’t sell digitally as well as single issues. Not to mention that especially with these more single release books digital sales could ruin the physical copy sales.

11. Admin / Jordash Said: Comment by Admin / Jordash on September 12, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Sounds awesome, just in time for the holidays.

12. Troy Said: Comment by Troy on September 12, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

The hard copy will be more durable which is great, because I rip apart my soft copies. Though like CosmoSpiritVarie I have the individuals. I hope that isn’t the artwork cover because not only is it not as good as the covers of the three parts but it is worse.

13. Jadely Said: Comment by Jadely on September 12, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Wow this is amazing news! I cant wait !

14. Korrafan123 Said: Comment by Korrafan123 on September 12, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

CANT WAIT!

15. Hannah230 Said: Comment by Hannah230 on September 12, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

16. danielsherv Said: Comment by danielsherv on September 12, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

This looks really cool, but I would take that image with a grain of salt… If you notice the white band around aangs head, it looks to have been pasted in. A couple other things trouble me…

1. Position. Aang and Zuko have been seen in these positions before in the Promise… Making me think they were pasted in.

I can further believe this based on my next point.

2. Consistency with past comics. Roku and Ozai bare small resemblance to their apearence in the comics (If you’ll notice, They both have different outfits, I see no reason they would… Also Ozai’s gottee is proportionally inconsistant, A mistake I doubt Gurihiru would make. making me think perhaps Roku and Ozai were fan drawn?

Also. the cover is nothing like the others. If you’ll notice, almost every Giruhuri comic book cover is chock full of people, having them standing on nothing with next to no background is very uncommon for them.

Continuing with this trend, the font for “The Promise” is wrong, and so far Bryan, Mike, Gene or Gurihiru have been directly credited on the front.

(of course all these changes could very well be on purpose…)

3. Departure. My main problem with this is… Look at it. It looks no where near as beautiful as one of the promise comics. For such a “luxurious?” edition of the comics, I’m inclined to think Giruhuri would have put forth a better effort.

Call me crazy, tell me I’m wrong, but I have my doubts on the legitimacy of this photo. (and believe me, I use photoshop daily, I can tell if somethings off)

…Or maybe I’m just trying to console myself in the fact that I already bought all 3 in softcover 🙂

It is an officially released image from Dark Horse, yes it is just the solicitation image, so it could change before release.

But the complete difference in cover style is in keeping with the way most hardcovers are done, they usually have a very different layout to a single issue/part. Hence the creative teams names on the front and the simple layout. These hardcovers don’t tend to pack the cover.

Zuko and Aang are in an original pose for this image.

I do agree that Roku and Ozai look a bit strange.

17. Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on September 12, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

YES!!! THIS IS SO COOL!! I cant WAIT to get this!! Im super pumped now it will hopefully be like the comic version of The Art of the animates series and stuff too!
    also take notice that Mike and Bryans name appears first before Gene and Gurihiru
    meaning in my opinion these books couldnt be more canon and some people should stop complaining, but thats just me. IDC though IM super happy and the coverart is super epic
    but If I had any gripe id say Roku doesnt look much like roku to me :/

18. Callum Fryars Said: Comment by Callum Fryars on September 12, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

OMG YES! THANK YOU! *faints*

19. Droc Plug Said: Comment by Droc Plug on September 12, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Oooo Roku in the background looks kind of different.

Kelly Reply:

I agree, its not awful but not very accurate to what he looks like in the show OR the comics really :/

KoolKorra Reply:

I couldn’t tell if it was Roku or someone else. Are you sure that’s Roku?

Droc Plug Reply:

who else could it be? I just think the drawing was different, maybe a younger Roku

Kelly Reply:

Its roku, u can at least tell that much
    Roku represents his pressures and influence on Aang
    as Ozai does to zuko through out The entire promise series 🙂

KoolKorra Reply:

Interesting. Thanks Kelly and Droc Plug

Water-Tribe Heart Reply:

yeah he does, but doesnt roku look like that in the comic too? i cannot wait! <3

20. Water-Tribe Heart Said: Comment by Water-Tribe Heart on September 12, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

OMG YESSS! 😀 this is wonderful news! <3 does the book include all 3 "the promises?" like is it all 3 books combined in one huge hardcover beauty of a book? lmao thats amazing. and i love the cover! (:

Exactly, all 3 parts in one. Most likely it will have extras as well, but that is something we won’t find out until way closer to release.

Water-Tribe Heart Reply:

yeah sorry about that question i was so tired i wasnt thinking. lmao you shoulda just put read up top ^ lmao. i cannot wait. this is unxpected too!

21. Joey Said: Comment by Joey on September 13, 2012 at 3:45 am | Permalink

I ordered parts one and two of the promise and read them both the same day i recieved them. *happy face emoticon* Hopefully this has something more, so i can re-read the series easily, and in more than one hour.

22. AwesomeBender Said: Comment by AwesomeBender on September 13, 2012 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Yes I hope they never stop making books or comics about avatar that you can buy 😀

KoolKorra Reply:

Yeah but what if the comic is super close to Korra’s time? They’ll have to start making Korra’s lost adventures.

23. The Kappa Spirit Said: Comment by The Kappa Spirit on September 13, 2012 at 10:48 am | Permalink

OMG I been waiting on Amazon.com for this kinda announcement! I am SOOOOOO getting this. Getting all 3 books but I am SO getting this hardcover too!

24. Luca Said: Comment by Luca on September 14, 2012 at 4:09 am | Permalink

Awesome!!! Can’t wait to get it 😀

25. Eska Said: Comment by Eska on September 14, 2012 at 6:22 am | Permalink

This is a NEED!!!!! I have to have it! what day exactly does it come out?

26. gracealeman101 Said: Comment by gracealeman101 on September 14, 2012 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

I want it :'(

27. Twinkle Toes Said: Comment by Twinkle Toes on September 15, 2012 at 6:53 am | Permalink

THIS IS SOOO AMAZINGGGGGGGG!! How much exactly it is? $34? *drools*

Joey Reply:

$28 on amazon, i believe.