The Promise Part 3 First Look

Part 3 1

We at last get an officially released look at The Promise Part 3, I Believe these are the first 8 pages of the book.

All I can say is wow, I am so impressed with what I see, September 26th cannot come quick enough.

Here are the pages that originally came from Buzzfeed, http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/avatar-the-last-airbender-exclusive-first-look

Click Here To Pre-Order Avatar The Last Airbender: The Promise Part 3

Part 3 1

Part 3 2

Part 3 3

Part 3 4

Part 3 5

Part 3 6

Part 3 7

Part 3 8

Click Here To Pre-Order Avatar The Last Airbender: The Promise Part 3

The Promise Part 2 Preview
ATLA Episode Reviews - 218-220
ATLA Episode Reviews - 304 - 306
Nendoroid Korra figure teased!

1. Troy Said: Comment by Troy on August 29, 2012 at 6:03 am | Permalink

I like it. If these are Bryke previews, and not leaks(1), just imagine the actual book. The world problem at this point I can’t even figure out how to solve.
    (1)- No offence, ive posted leak like material before as you know.

2. Troy Said: Comment by Troy on August 29, 2012 at 6:11 am | Permalink

I don’t know how this will be solved. The way I can think of to solve it isn’t good but it’s the best “I” have. Zuko to me used the Earth Kings energy against him about only providing for your people; the Earth King is the problem, Zuko is to good to look like the good boy with so much bad. Aang shouldn’t kill him because an Earth King who wants the whole world might take his seat and Aang and friends will have a new Earth King to kill. Aang being the Avatar can’t assume power of the Earth Kingdom to call piece, neither can Toph or another of Aangs Earth Kingdom friend being too young to know how to do the job, Iroh can’t be Earth King being brother of Ozia. I think Aang should kill the Earth King him being greedy and put Bomi or someone else like him not 112 in power. This will prevent the Earth Kingdom from uprising too much. I don’t see Earth Kingdomers acting on Aang being bad, though they might protest it.

3. Peace Said: Comment by Peace on August 29, 2012 at 6:11 am | Permalink

Cool ! I like it !

Troy Reply:

I know there friendly discussion in the rain, I like the imagry. What about it makes you like it?

4. Ricardo Said: Comment by Ricardo on August 29, 2012 at 6:12 am | Permalink

@airspeed I agree, I’m also impressed just by the first 8 pages.
    The Promise Part 3 certainly will not let us down.

KoolKorra Reply:

Agreed

5. Callum Fryars Said: Comment by Callum Fryars on August 29, 2012 at 7:20 am | Permalink

This looks so awesome. The wait is killing me!

Troy Reply:

Yes, you’ll die before it comes out.

6. ~ღєιяιиι-¢нαиღ~ Said: Comment by ~ღєιяιиι-¢нαиღ~ on August 29, 2012 at 7:33 am | Permalink

CANT WAIT TO BUY IT!!!!!!!! IT IS SO AWESOME!!!!!

7. the avatarek1011 Said: Comment by the avatarek1011 on August 29, 2012 at 7:52 am | Permalink

OMG THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!!

8. Greta the waterbender Said: Comment by Greta the waterbender on August 29, 2012 at 9:17 am | Permalink

it’s a shame they don’t sell them in my country =[

Do amazon ship there, that could be an option for you ?

Greta the waterbender Reply:

Ye, good idea 😉 Maybe the comics will come to my country too, but I would have to wait about a year, till they translate it, so yes, I think it’s better to buy it online 😀

Probably cheaper for you too.

AvatarOlivia Reply:

What country do you live in?

Greta the waterbender Reply:

Lithuania. It’s in Europe, and if Nick shows something in America, in my country it shows up in about a half year, and if there are books in english, they have to translate them first to lithuanian language, and the books show up in about a half year or a year, so It’s better to buy things in english somewhere abroad, if you want to see them quicker XD

~ღєιяιиι-¢нαиღ~ Reply:

i’ve got the same problem. when showed ATLA on nick, it came to my country, greece, 3 YEARS LATER!!!! imagine in how many years we’ll see LOK here. the only way is to buy it from amazon. unfortunatelly

9. Water-Tribe Heart Said: Comment by Water-Tribe Heart on August 29, 2012 at 11:00 am | Permalink

oh my goodness. i cannot wait! this is going to be a great book. (:

i might have to wait til oct 9th to get it from amazon! D: i dont wanna wait that long.. lmao.

10. Donna Said: Comment by Donna on August 29, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Day after my birthday… epic… I’m looking forward to seeing how this is resolved and seeing the birth of republic city happening….

Ssssoooo love the artwork in the graphic novels and meeting the 2 artists responsible for them earlier this year was humbling. They are so humble and talented 🙂

only criticism – if they could just drop the “sweetie” bits 🙂 some of the dialogue is a tad too childish for my taste, though know that they are trying to cater to wide range of audience as well 🙂

I really do not see the issue with sweetie, yes it was overused in part 1, but they solved that in part 2.
    They are at that stage of their relationship where they are calling each other pet names, not to mention they are both still young 16 and 14. In both of their first romantic relationships. I am happy they are keeping that continuity of them calling each other sweetie and that Gene Yang is not coming up with loads of different names.
    Not to mention that Sweetie is the main thing that lampshades Sokka’s oogies, so it is not like it is bad writing, it is done on purpose to show their almost overly cute relationship 🙂

I agree that they are definitely making it at the same time readable for kids while still keeping the older fans happy, but I don’t feel they are taking anything away 😎

Oh you met Sasaki and Kawano, was that just the panel or did you get to actually talk with them ?

Troy Reply:

I agree. Sweetie is over-used, options like not using it or anything would fit. As Airspeed did a detailed job explaining it can be justified without a strecth. When they say it’s like they want other people to know about there relationship not themselves. The birth of republic city= middle ground.Promise not broken or kept.

11. momo2009 Said: Comment by momo2009 on August 29, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

make a movie out of this!!!

Troy Reply:

It would be quility. Looking at them in the rain is so dramatic.

12. AvatarAsh Said: Comment by AvatarAsh on August 29, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait to read this!

13. AwesomeBender Said: Comment by AwesomeBender on August 29, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Why can´t it come out sooner!!!

14. Brandy Said: Comment by Brandy on August 29, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Oh my goodness! I need this book NOW!!!

15. Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on August 29, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

i cant wait for the promise part 3!

Meelo Reply:

Agreed, I am so excited! Not only will it be AWESOME, but I also get to complete my promise comics set!! 😀

Droc Plug Reply:

Yea i can already imagine that full book set on my shelf. With space for the next avatar comic series.

16. Droc Plug Said: Comment by Droc Plug on August 29, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

OMG I CANT WAIT FOR SEPTEMBER!!!!! what a cliff hangar right?

17. Droc Plug Said: Comment by Droc Plug on August 29, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

A pretty cool fight scene too.

Troy Reply:

Yes cool looking and the Earthbenders and Firebenders arefighting kinda the same reshowing this land is mixed.

18. Meelo Said: Comment by Meelo on August 29, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Uh maaaayn. I found these on the web yesterday, I just assumed them leaks but i could have got points for finding it first. WELL, looks amazing anyway! Cant wait!

19. AvatarOlivia Said: Comment by AvatarOlivia on August 29, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait to read more! 🙂

20. epicbender_01 Said: Comment by epicbender_01 on August 29, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

This is so cool. Cannot wait till October!!

21. AgentNebraska Said: Comment by AgentNebraska on August 29, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

SO INTENSE. I kind of don’t want to have Aang and Zuko have an ultimate showdown. They’re my favorite characters. But if they must I know they’ll end it peacefully.

If not (which I know won’t happen because of the backstory in LOK) then GO ZUKO!!!

22. Gadani13 Said: Comment by Gadani13 on August 29, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

I’m proud of Zuko in this comic, truly! He’s like the only one who tries to help the people out of the colonies. Even when he visits his father for personal advice, he still tries to follow his own heart, and I’m sure he will continue to follow his own path.

I think Aang wasn’t in character in this comic, or perhaps he had just a little conflict with puberty? (Well, he’s also young and can make mistakes just like Zuko.)

I guess, Aang will see how the inhabitants of Yu Dao fight together as one. He will realize those families needs to stay together. And further, I’ve a lot of hopes but I wont write them all up. Because I hope to not get disapointed… But I hope Aang discovers that Zuko is family of Roku.

Man…. can’t wait for this comic!

I think you are a bit too Pro Zuko there.

Aang, Katara and Zuko are all trying to help Yu Dao. Zuko wants to defend his people, the firenation, who don’t forget are only in Yu Dao because of the war, and in supporting their stay there is justifying part of the war that he helped to stop.
    “Ozai cannot have all of the world, but he can have that part of the earth kingdom”

Aang is on the opposite side, he is still learning as the Avatar and is going by what Roku thought him, the 4 nations must remain 4. He has not yet fully found his path as the Avatar. So he supports the Harmony Restoration Movement which wants to relocate the fire nation citizens back to the fire nation. The problem here is that means separating families, Aang is against even his own relationship with Katara.

Neither of them is right and only Katara seems to have the idea of a compromise, that being that Yu Dao be made it’s own nation.

The problem is that while your idea sounds good in theory of him seeing them working well together, it is then Aang also getting behind the idea of it being ok that the fire nation keep this part of the earth kingdom, we know that it is the Earth Kingdom people who are the lower class people in an area of their own nation.

Aang needs to learn that the world is changing, Roku’s archaic idea of the 4 nations staying as 4 has passed, the nations are mixing.
    Katara and Aang being a prime example or Suki and Sokka.

Zuko needs to realise why him making the decision he had made is bad in some way, lets not forget that Zuko is following Ozai’s advice and more or less knew it would cause a war, which is happening.

I don’t think you can really blame any of their decisions on age, look at Roku he was a fully realised Avatar and he made his decisions which in the end he would have done differently.

Troy Reply:

I agree with airspeed other than one point. I am pro-Zuko, but I wouldn’t say he follows his own heart without explaining, he wants to help Yu Dao prosper, even if it means war, and the Earth King is a bad guy who didn’t mention the positive impact of the Fire Nation so he could have the land, not because he didn’t know himself though Long Feng weakend his knowledge on things. Aang wants to keep his promise for the good of doing so, so all prinicples don’t disapear, and he wants people to talk who don’t want to talk and thats the only solution. Zuko told Katara and Aang his reasons, the Earth King when they asked said he was advancing his army to Yu Doa and he’ll be arriving soon. What I disagree with Airspeed is that Katara does not see a thirds state solution she wants talk, which will never work, just like Aang.

It is clearly shown in Part 1 that Katara has the more balanced view on things and was seconds away from stating her full opinion.
    “Maybe Yu Dao can be an Exception” – Katara in Part 1, her starting to see Yu Dao as it’s own nation.

She had been taking a back seat to Aang and Zuko, but I get the feeling she will speak out on this in Part 3.
    Katara does not fully agree with Aang’s views on things and I get the feeling that she will be partly responsible for his mind changing and Aang seeing what he needs to do.

Troy Reply:

I took that as Yu Dao could be with the Fire Nation not a third state. Yes Katara is more balenced and I like how she plays a role as somone smart and not just a girlfriend but she is nehieve to the eventual third state solution of Republic City, I say that because she han’t brought it up, even though she sees things in balence. Because she is blind to this answer she wants to do what “cannot” work and talk.

23. fairladyz2006 Said: Comment by fairladyz2006 on August 30, 2012 at 10:07 am | Permalink

First off, this looks awesome. For some reason I thought this was coming out late Oct/Nov. so I’m glad it will be out last Sept/Oct instead which sounds a lot more reasonable.

I like Aang and Zuko’s prophetic dream. Everyone in this story is a little bit right and a little bit wrong – Aang, Zuko, even Kuei. One solution I wonder if it will be brought up, even before the UR solution is established is the posibility of letting the Fire Nation colonist stay but under Earth Kingdom rule. Perhaps this is the solution Katara might come up with. However, the Fire Nation colonist wouldn’t except that because while not as bad as Fire Nation rule they would still lose their proud identity as Fire Nation citizens. At which point, the United Republic idea is born.

I wonder if the way to stop this oncoming battle might be for Zuko to surrender to Kuei on the one condition that Kuei let the FN colonist stay. Zuko did break a peace treaty and if there is anything Kuei hates it’s liars. As far as Kuei is concerned Zuko has broken his promise and has no honor. And we know how big having honor is to Zuko. So some sort of gesture of humility needs to be displayed because while Aang and Zuko keep getting the credit for the UR according to LOK, the truth is Kuei’s role will be just as vital in reaching that outcome.

Finally, I want to smack Roku. Can’t he realize that Zuko holds half of the solution to this problem and that wiping out his own descendant is a very BAD idea? Has anyone considered the consequences of what deposing another Firelord would do to the balance of the world? No one seems to have thought throught the long term consequences of this – not Roku, not Aang, not Zuko. Say the Avatar does kill Zuko, (not that he will, but let’s speculate shall we) as Iroh would say, “Then what?!?” It would be a disaster!

The people of the Fire Nation would never trust the Avatar again (or at least for several more reincarnations). Who becomes ruler? Crazula? Um, no! Iroh? Seems okay until you consider that you’re dragging an old man who wants only to retire away from his tea shop AFTER you’ve killed the man who was like a second son to him. Iroh may not be so kind towards the Avatar as one might think. The promise Aang and Zuko made may have sounded good at the time it was made (and we fans were still screaming how OOC it was) , but I think it was meant to be that unconforatble and badly conceived (in the minds of the characters, not the writer) on purpose. And the sooner Aang and Zuko break it and trust themselves over the voices of the past that keep haunting them (Roku and Ozai) the better. Also I want to see Aang learn Zuko is Roku’s descendant. Roku keeps saying killing Zuko is the solution, but I want Aang to realize Zuko has deliberately been trying to walk Roku’s path of peace over Sozin’s path of destruction.

Sorry for the rant, I’m just excited now that this will be out soon and the first story arc of the comics will finally be complete. I really hope Gene Luen Yang will pull off a conclusion that is satisfying and will silence some of the nay-sayers of fandom. If he can’t pull it off, I’m going to be disapointed by this first story arc too.

Yes Roku is very much blinded to where the world is going by making sure Aang does not make the mistake he made. He just can’t get past the 4 nations remaining 4 thing which we see is what Aang is using and not because he so much believes it himself.
    He cannot see how wrong that concept is, and that the 4 nations are beginning to meld together in some parts, Katara so far seems to be the only one who really gets this, and has not yet had the full confidence to speak up between Avatar Aang and Fire Lord Zuko. She will be very crucial to a resolution.
    Kuei is the big unknown, how is he going to react to The Avatar being against what he is doing, will he be calm enough to listen to anyone.

From the early reviews that have come out, all are positive and praise most of all Aang and Zuko’s character development and the big steps they take. That is huge seeing as most of the complainer sections of the fandom seem to beat that drum constantly, “ZUKO AND AANG ARE OOC, HATE GENE YANG”
    I think everything thus far has been exactly where they were both heading post 321.

I like your comment that The Promise between Aang and Zuko may just be resolved by them both seeing how over the top and heat of the moment it was.

Troy Reply:

With all your explaining I now see things I’ve missed.
    – Fire Nation citizens to a degree want to be part of the Fire Nation not the Earth Kingdom or possibly not a third nation. We have now started seeing mixed familys which might be ok to it, but the strictly Fire Nation familys wont want to be Earth Kingdomers or Third Nationers. They could opt to move the Fire Nation, I don’t know what percent of Yu Doa they make meaning when they leave the prosparity will follow.
    – In what ways is Kuei a little bit right? I know he is, but for what reason do you say so? All people have some good in them but if that good is being a great husband it doesn’t impact the colonys we are talking about.
    -Even if the unlikly, wrong choice was made of killing Zuko you raise a point I agree with that the list of leaders is small and bad, other than Aang himself which while unpresidented would keep peice.
    -As for Katara she is the good and smart caracter of goodness, and involved with world events, but she isn’t good and smart enough. Because we don’t know yet that she has an answer that will work.
    Fairlady have you considered joing the site, these are the conversations i’m all for.

Kuei is right about not breaking promises and his aim to protect his own nation, ie Yu Dao is a part of the Earth Kingdom landmass not the fire nation.
    His issue is that he choose a really bad time to show off that he can be a good leader at the same time when Aang and Zuko are trying to do much the same. His decision to go all out army attack was too much as shown by Aang who is on Kuei’s side being shocked at the aggressive move.

I would not agree that Katara is not smart enough, I think that she feels she not having a role like Fire Lord or Avatar (though technically she is Princess of the SWT, though they do not use such titles there) means she cannot fully take part in the discussions, hence why she has brushed off talking about her own thoughts on Yu Dao for the most part, though she has the right idea I believe. It will be how she and Aang handle their own differing opinions that will be great to see.

I think with the Earth and Fire Nation coming together in Yu Dao, including the Mayor being married to an Earth Kingdom woman, that the Fire Nation pride of their own nation is not that much of an issue that they will only stay in Yu Dao as long as it is considered a Fire Nation town, it is just that they want to remain there and not have to leave, which ultimately is all the Yu Dao folk want, to stay where they are and not be forced to choose one nation or the other. So I think them becoming a nation of their own suits everyone, though Kuei gets the short straw a bit with the Earth Kingdom becoming a bit smaller. Though his main issue and Aang’s is that it is as of now pretty much under fire nation control, with them the wealthier people and Zuko though he is only defending he people from being moved appears to be in a position where he is defending his nation keep Yu Dao.

Troy Reply:

I agree:
    – Yu Doa doesn’t have to bad of Fire Nation pride seeing as their mayor is mixed family. Third state solution is pridable.
    -Kuei was back stabed by Zuko breaking his promise. I am agains him because when Aang and Katara were in his throne room he did say that he was back stabed but not why Yu Doa Was a big deal for the Earth Kingdom to have, would Katara or Aang mis-use that information. Vise-versa I was pro-Zuko because he has not only a reason but a good one, Fire Nation helps all citizens in Yu Doa. I’m neutral Zuko now because of that last reason and that prosparity is not worth war, or if it is thats something he should say.
    -I’m not suggesting Aang kill Zuko, if you reed above and saw it as that, I’m just telling fairlady that a backdoor for doing so is in place. Killing Zuko would be wrong because he wants people to prosper and isn’t the first one to attack.

24. Rrockz Said: Comment by Rrockz on August 30, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait

25. QuinnTheEskimo Said: Comment by QuinnTheEskimo on August 30, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Oh my god!!! This looks so amazing!! I thought the first two books were good but this has by far surpassed my expectations!

26. avatarkorralover Said: Comment by avatarkorralover on August 31, 2012 at 11:33 am | Permalink

cliff hangers D:

27. Avatarlee1997 Said: Comment by Avatarlee1997 on August 31, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Look better than the first two