The Martial Arts of Avatar

water
Listed as: About Avatar

The awesome Martial Arts scenes that you see in Avatar the Last Airbender are taken from real life Martial Arts, The animation and the depth that the creators went into the study of each of these Martial Arts scenes was truly extraordinary. Below find out more information about each of the different types of Bending/Martial Arts.

Learn The Martial Arts of Avatar The Last Airbender

Learn The Martial Arts of Avatar The Last Airbender for yourself!

Waterbending

water

Waterbending Master

Martial Arts Form: Tai Chi

water nation icon

Water Nation Symbol

Tai Chi is a primarily non-violent form of Martial Arts (although it can be used for self defense and combat just as well as any other Martial Art), Tai Chi means “Incredible Energy” And is used modernly as a way to excercise every part of the body from the core and promotes health, vitality, and strength.”  I think Tai Chi was an excellent choice for Water benders as it is more of a Defensive type of Martial Arts which promotes healing and regrowth, which are both big themes that the Waterbending Nations were trying to promote throughout the show.

A Modern form of Tai Chi

A Modern form of Tai Chi

Firebending

Martial Arts Form: Northern Shaolin

Fire Nation Symbol

Fire Nation Symbol

Northern Shaolin is an aggressive form of Martial Arts where the you push the

Fire Nation Master

Fire Nation Master

energy through your body in explosive movements and imagine sending the attack for many miles behind your opponent (a common technique which other Martial Arts use as well).”  Norther Shaolin was probably chosen for firebending because of it’s intense and extravagant moves.

Zuko Northern Shaolin Skills

Zuko Northern Shaolin Skills

Earth Bending

earth nation icon

Earth Nation Symbol

Martial Arts Form: Hung Gar

Earth Bender

Earth Bender

The main theme behind Hung Gar is that it is dependent on a strong and firm stance.”  The word Hung Gar means “to stand firm and tall with integrity” The art also emphasizes fluid movement between the different strong types of stances which really fits well with Avatar The Last Airbenders take on Hung Gar for Earth Bending.”  Hung Gar is also practiced Blind which is a cool tie in for Toph.

Modern Example of Hung Gar

Airbending

Martial Arts Form: Ba Gua Zhang

air

Airbending Master

Air Nation Symbol

Air Nation Symbol

Ba Gua Zhang is similar to Tai Chi in that it is internal, but it focuses on following the movements of different types of animals, including: Lion, Snake, Bear, Dragon, Phoenix, Rooster, Qilin, and Monkey.”  Training for Ba Gua Zhang is taught with long circular motions designed to allow the student to learn how to move without taking his eyes off his opponent and also ways to quickly get behind and opponent.”  You might notice throughout the course of the show Aang constantly moves in circles, this is because of Airbendings roots in Ba Gua Zhang.

Aang began as a Master Air Bender before he mastered all four elements

Aang began as a Master Air Bender before he mastered all four elements

Hey everyone, I'm the Administrator / Programmer of the site. I love anything that's awesome, and am looking for new hobbies. Let me know if you have any ideas :)

1. Ingjald Said: Comment by Ingjald on December 6, 2009 at 4:35 am | Permalink

Neat list, although Toph does not practice Hung Gar, but rather her own style, based on Southern Praying Mantis (Chu Gar)

2. Admin Said: Comment by Admin on December 7, 2009 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

Interesting, I did not know that! Thanks for letting me know, i’ll add it to the site (I’ll be doing character profiles pretty soon as well).

3. cameron Said: Comment by cameron on March 10, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

i am thinking about magic and goodness and friendship.

4. art Said: Comment by art on March 15, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Toph’s style is different because she learned directly from the badger moles as well (just another tidbit).

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yeah that’s correct, I believe that the style Toph learned / developed from the Badger Moles was based off of the real world Southern Praying Mantis Style (Chu Gar) that @ingjald mentioned.

Thanks for the information

5. unknown traveler Said: Comment by unknown traveler on April 11, 2010 at 1:38 am | Permalink

I wish to learn these particular martial arts used in Avatar: the Last Airbender. Does someone know who can teach me these? Even if I have to find the real martial artists who helped in making the tv show and the movies. Please help me!

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Hey,

I’m currently learning Tai Chi (Waterbending)

You can find some training materials here:

and here is a DVD

Tai Chi is a good martial arts to start with because it is practiced at a slower pace, is great for beginners, and can later be used and applied to several Martial Arts.

I’m not sure about the other martial arts or where to find a personal trainer, but I think DVD’s and Books work fairly well. It’s very healthy and good exercise as well. Plus it’s fun to model stuff after Avatar The Last Airbender :)

6. 1# Aang fan Said: Comment by 1# Aang fan on April 25, 2010 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Ihad no idea thats how troph learned how to earthbend. thanks for the info:)

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Sure thing :)

7. kk Said: Comment by kk on June 9, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

I LOVE AANG

8. Avatar of
    uber avatar fan Said: Comment by uber avatar fan on January 29, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

That’s kind of cool to know

9. Arta Said: Comment by Arta on December 16, 2012 at 4:16 am | Permalink

This post is quite cool.
    And I want to ask that what kind of martial art they use not for bending, like Iroh’s movements seems to be similar to wing tsun and aikido. But I’m not clear on this, correct me if I’m wrong.

10. Aaron Sharp Said: Comment by Aaron Sharp on April 30, 2013 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

hey guys I was wondering which martial arts chi-blockers used, it seemed similar to Win Chun Gung styled Kung Fu, but I just wanted more specifics. Thanks

11. kenya barriteau Said: Comment by kenya barriteau on September 14, 2013 at 1:40 am | Permalink

This is awesome. Now what styles are being used for The Legend of Korra. Or it it the same styles that was used for Avatar: The last Airbender.