The Legend Of Korra Video Game Announced

KorraGame1

I am sure a lot of you never thought this day would come, but it is here, a Legend Of Korra video game has been announced.

Platinum Games on console and Webfoot Technologies for 3DS will be developing a Legend of Korra video game which will be published by Activision.

Some of the key points from the IGN announcement are

-The game will be Downloadable for Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, PC and 3DS

-It will be a 3rd Person Combat focused Game

-Tim Hedrick who writes for the show will be writing the game’s story which will take place in-between Book 2 and 3

-You will play as Korra and use the elements to fight Mecha Tanks, Chi Blockers and other enemies, as well as play in 3 on 3 pro bending matches.

-The 3ds game will focus on moving Korra and friends tactically around the battlefield

-Game will be released later this year in Fall

-Announcement trailer, http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/06/25/platinum-games-the-legend-of-korra-coming-in-2014?watch

IGN have 4 screenshots up, and will have more details, including hands on impressions later in the week.

KorraGame1

KorraGame2

KorraGame3

KorraGame4

My Thoughts

I am so happy that at last a Korra game is getting made, I love that it will have some story to it and it won’t just be a retelling of one of the books. Makes it seem very important. The art style looks great with the cell shading style, a great way to give Korra’s traditional animation style a 3d look. I am not expecting miracles in terms of gameplay as it is a downloadable game, but I think we have a good developer making it and it should be a solid game well worth playing, but it is hard to tell at such an early stage.

Vote for the games cover

Make sure to check out the Korra facebook page’s post where you can vote for the cover to be used when the game comes out, just like the picture that you want as the cover.

1. Avatar of PerformerFX
    PerformerFX Said: Comment by PerformerFX on June 25, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Platinum Games did a Metal Gear Rising game. So I’m not hopeless.
    Especially that is taking place between Book 2 and 3 gives me hope.

Just the publisher is seriously the worst: Activision as followed by Electronic Arts are the worst gaming companies out there. I wonder how much the “Airbending” DLCs will cost?

The Cell-Shader style looks allright but the character models seems kinda blocky sometimes.

But I don’t have played it so far. I’ll definitely check this one out.

I admit I am not that knowledgeable about the video game industry and the publishers, mainly being a nintendo fan.
    But what is so bad about Activision, I have heard a lot of complaints about EA, but not so much Activision.
    Last Activision games I played were Transformers War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron.

2. Avatar of Greg2Bender
    Greg2Bender Said: Comment by Greg2Bender on June 25, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

I really hope this game good or at least decent. The developer looks good and from their previous games it seem like they know what there doing.

I like really like cell shading ever since I played Jet Set/Grind Radio and they seem to have experience in that style since they made MadWorld which I thought looked cool. Their models, at least in the probending arena, does feel a bit off to me.

This being a downloadable game we might have hold back on some expectations but if it’s plays well and has a decent story I think most will be happy.

3. Avatar of 北方拓芙
    北方拓芙 Said: Comment by 北方拓芙 on June 25, 2014 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

A Korra video game? Platinum AND Webfoot?! This just made my day.

I remember saying back in the “Where is The Korra Merch?” editorial that they should do a videogame like Okami – which was made by Clover Studio – which ended up becoming Platinum. Never expected them to actually do it! (We still don’t know if it actually IS like Okami, but at least it’s being made by the same company! :-P )

And I really liked Webfoot’s Legacy of Goku games for the GBA, so picking them for the portable version was a great choice.

Also loving the fact that they’re actually bringing one of the show’s writers to pen the game – it means the story won’t suck, unlike the first ever ATLA game. And the fact that one of the show’s writers is involved in an original story means we can expect a canon interlude between books 2 and 3!

With an increase this significant in production values, I’m definitely looking forward to this game!

Just one thing I didn’t quite catch… the 3DS version is also going to be download only? That’s kinda wierd…

The IGN article was not very clear about the 3ds version or why no Wii U version is coming.
    The 3ds version could be getting a physical release, but I am not sure.

北方拓芙 Reply:

Rereading the article, it sounds like the 3DS game will be physical. They only use the word “downloadable” on the paragraph where they mention the PS3, PS4, XOne, X360 and PC. Makes more sense that way.

Are you missing a Wii U version due to being “mainly a Nintendo fan”?

Yes, I just got a Wii U last week and then they announce this with only the Wii U version missing.
    Luckily I do have an Xbox for the few non-nintendo games I play so I am good, assuming they will put just as much effort into the last gen version as the current gen.

北方拓芙 Reply:

The Wii U is about as powerful as an X360 and a PS3, so you wouldn’t probably notice any difference. Not to mention there’s not that much difference between the last and the current generation, we were already reaching the limits of graphics possibilities anyway.

4. Avatar of HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader)
    HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader) Said: Comment by HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader) on June 25, 2014 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

2nd one for equalizing awesomeness!!!

5. Avatar of Troy
    Troy Said: Comment by Troy on June 25, 2014 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Honestly Nick’s highest rated shows like Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents aren’t getting games like this in recent history. Fans may complain about problems with the company or graphics but we really should be positive for getting something.

Tim Hedrick is also my favorite writer on the show but I doubt the story-line will mean much.

6. Marco Polo Said: Comment by Marco Polo on June 25, 2014 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

The most important thing for the to not mess up is the combat system since it looks like fighting will take up most of the gameplay. With Platinum games in charge, I have quite high hopes. Though there’s a possibility the game will be rushed out like many licensed products in the past.
    The teaser made me wonder – will there be 2D animated cutscenes in the game? That would be awesome. Oh, and what about the dark spirits? Will they be enemies too?
    It’s a shame there’s no physical release since I’m an avid collector. (heck, even the latest Trials game got a physical copy on PS4/X1)

Yes, Bryan on Tumblr mentioned that Titmouse animation will be doing traditionally animated cutscenes like the one seen in the trailer.

Marco Polo Reply:

Tit…mouse? What kind of name is that? :P
    Hmm… all I can find about them Avatar-wise is that they animated the S1 intro for the first series.

北方拓芙 Reply:

Titmouse is apparently the name of a bird (albeit quite a… strange one).

I think they did the unaired pilot also.

7. Avatar of Jadely
    Jadely Said: Comment by Jadely on June 26, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Wow! Those images are amazing ! I might have to go out a buy an X-box just to play this game