The Legend of Korra “Turf Wars” comic coming June 2017

korracomicspart1

UPDATE/ The art shown is by Heather Campbell, not Irene Koh. Not sure why they would announce a new artist and not show any of said artists work.

For clarity – Korra Comics creative team is as follows

Writer – Mike DiMartino
Line Artist – Irene Koh
Colours – Jane Bak
Cover Artist – Heather Campbell
Bryan Konietzko will continue to oversee/supervise in a similar way to his role with ATLA comics.

AT LONG LAST WE HAVE NEWS.

The Korra comics have finally been properly announced. The first 3 part comic series will be called “Turf Wars” and is starting June 2017 with Mike DiMartino writing and as predicted by most of the fandom Irene Koh as the artist.

Here is what I assume is the cover minus the graphics.

korracomicspart1

Cover art is by Heather Campbell

We also get a basic premise for the story.

Turf Wars is set to pick up right where the series left off, as Korra and Asami return from the spirit world to find Republic City in disarray. The new spirit portal has caused no end of chaos, as a pompous developer plans to turn it into an amusement park and the triads reunite just in time to cause trouble for the city’s many evacuees. ”

With Mike also saying

“Korra has to figure out how to find a new balance in the city with all this stuff that’s gone on, It’s gonna take place right after the finale, so it’s focusing on Korra and Asami’s relationship as a new threat emerges. It’s kind of like the aftermath dealing with the new portal in the city, and all the evacuees coming back to find their homes wiped out cause of the portal.”

Thoughts

I am surprised, but so glad they have put out the key info early. I do hope they give more information at NYCC on Saturday, I would hope to see some more art to get a feel for Irene Koh’s style, this EW reveal is great,but feels quite basic like there is more detail to come.

As for the cover, I am very impressed. I am very glad to see Mako and Bolin featured in the image, I was worried that book overall would be overly focused on Korra and Asami and perhaps leave everything else to the side. Them being here suggests they will be present in the story, which is interesting given that Mako is still recovering from his Book 4 finale injury and Bolin now seems to be part of the Republic City Police force in some capacity, I was wondering where he would go given the lack of direction they had for him at the end of Book 4. Wish they had shown us some of Irene Koh’s art, I love the cover here from Heather Campbell, but this is Irene’s big announcement hype it up a bit.

As for the story. My main prediction since the initial announcement of the comics was that the plot had to focus on the new spirit portal being right there in the middle of a big city. Questions like will it be policed like a county border or left as something natural for people and spirits to decide to use or not? They are taking it in an interesting direction with someone trying to make money from it as an attraction and the triads using the chaos caused by it to make a big return. The idea seems to be control the portal and you control a very important location in the city. I do hope that this plot ultimately delves into the human spirit conflict that NEEDS to be touched on after what happened in Book 4. Some spirits being present in the cover gives me hope.

What are your thoughts?

1. thelegendofvoltron Said: Comment by thelegendofvoltron on October 4, 2016 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

The cover is drawn by Makani/Heather Campbell. Irene Koh is the artist but isn’t doing the covers. But she DID post a sneak peak at some of her lineart for the comic on twitter, and it looks pretty dang great.

Jane Bak (who works on background layouts for Steven Universe) will be doing the coloring.

They really need to show off some of Irene Koh’s art, if not just to clarify the difference between the interior art and the cover art. Most Avatar fans are used to the ATLA comics with Gurihuru doing everything.

I hope we get to see her character designs at NYCC or something.

2. Legacy78 Said: Comment by Legacy78 on October 4, 2016 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

I wish Heather Campbell was Line Artist :(

3. Avatar of
    doratchi Said: Comment by doratchi on October 5, 2016 at 5:20 am | Permalink

Damn

Is it mean no more TLA comics?

No, should not cause any issue. Different creative teams working on both. ATLA comics is Gene Yang and Team Gurihiru, Korra comics are Mike Dimartino, Irene Koh and Jane Bak

Avatar of

doratchi Reply:

I know it’s different teams, but it feels like that working on Korra means there is nothing to do anymore with Aang comics, like they are going to finish his story. I will wait for sunday to know more

When should the preview pages of North and South part 2 come out?

I would not expect North and South Part 2 preview pages until at earliest mid-November if not a bit later.

As for Korra comics keep in mind if not for delays the first Korra comic was due to be released around this time. Meaning ATLA and Korra comics releasing side by side.

It is clear from the Dark Horse blog post that these Korra comics are expanding their agreement with Nick, not replacing. Don’t see it as the Korra comics taking focus away from ATLA, just that we are getting more Avatar content overall. 2 comic series a year instead of 1, which is big.

Avatar of

doratchi Reply:

Ok great
    I guess on the beginning of December?

4. Avatar of Justin
    Justin Said: Comment by Justin on October 7, 2016 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

So in 2017 we’ll get not just North and South Parts 2/3 but Turf Wars Part 1?

Awesome!

I’m probably going to stop reading the comics after I’m finish reading North and South (due to wanting my headcanon that Azula has changed and was secretly helping Zuko stay intact).

I’ll defiantly get Turf Wars though and read it.

I would expect Turf Wars Part 2 to also be out in 2017. Probably November 2017.

Why would you not read any ATLA future comics, how do you know the comics won’t take Azula in a direction you like?

Justin Reply:

Well I suppose I will get every comic. I will keep that headcanon if Azula stays evil but I’ll take your advise and still read each future comic just in case.

Avatar of

doratchi Reply:

Justin we all have something we want in the comics/don’t like in them but it’s not a reason to stop reading.
    It’s better we won’t think about it until the next part because now we basically don’t know nothing on what’s going to be

Justin Reply:

You’re right doratchi.

Avatar of

doratchi Reply:

What are you going to do in this 4 months? Should we forget about the series to make the waiting easier?
    Im really respecting you for waiting every time, it’s really hard for me

Justin Reply:

For me I re-read the other comics, re-watch TLA and/or Korra, play old/new telltale games, watch my favorite movies/TV shows. That all should keep me entertained before parts 2/3 of NAS and part 1of TF. And then I’ll just repeat all of that when I finally get to read the new book.