Smoke and Shadow Part 3 6 Page Preview

Major thanks to Dark Horse Comics for supplying us with the exclusive preview for Smoke and Shadow Part 3.

Smoke and Shadow Part 3 will be released March 30th in comic stores and April 12th elsewhere.

ATLBSSV3 PG 02

ATLBSSV3 PG 03

ATLBSSV3 PG 04

ATLBSSV3 PG 10

ATLBSSV3 PG 11ATLBSSV3 PG 12

Avatar Rewatch Awards
The Promise Part 3 description + Final cover art
The Promise Part 2 Tops the Charts
North and South Part 2 and 3 Descriptions

1. W Said: Comment by W on March 6, 2016 at 3:35 am | Permalink

i love the fact that Suki trying do the same thing as her boyfriend : )

I really like that little moment, given that some fans have been seeing a little bit of SukiXZuko in this series it was nice to get Sokka brought up and Suki being the one shown as knowing him best.

2. Hide Said: Comment by Hide on March 6, 2016 at 3:47 am | Permalink

so the pages which have not been shown was page 5,9,10,11,12,13

Based on previous books, the story starts on page 5. So it looks like we skip the first page and also pages 9-13 as we skip from page 8 to page 14.

3. Airspeed Prime Said: Comment by Airspeed Prime on March 6, 2016 at 4:23 am | Permalink

I have seen a few people mention they are thinking this is Azula redirecting lightning.

My initial impression was that she she just quickly switched hands she was generating with and caught Zuko by surprise.

Thoughts?

I guess it could be redirection, but I don’t think it is made very clear.

Peluso M. Reply:

But where did the Lightning Zuko redirected go, if Azula didn’t redirect it?
    It cannot simply disappear.
    We didn’t see a panel showing Azula evading any lightning after Zuko shoots it back at her.
    I think it must be Azula doing lightning redirection, otherwise Zuko’s redirected lightning simply disappears in a plot hole.

The way I am interpreting it is that Zuko is in the process of redirecting the first jolt when he is hit with the second so he never actually sends a jolt back at Azula for her to redirect, hence it is her generating a second jolt herself taking Zuko by surprise. My guess is that Zuko effectively gets hit by the power of both of these blasts of lightning, but because they were more focused on speed they didn’t do much damage, but again Azula only wanted to get away not kill.

For me if these pages are trying to show it is Azula using redirecting they would very clearly show a blast coming her way into her fingers, but the page we have doesn’t show that. Azula’s left hand in the first panel has moved in a downward motion suggesting she has basically “thrown” a quick shot at Zuko which he is trying to redirect, while Zuko is in the process of redirecting she switches stance and hits him with a blast from her right hand.

I am not trying to suggest I am 100% correct here, but for me based on the page we have right now I am not seeing redirection given how they have shown it before. For me it is a BIG reveal to show Azula with redirection, there is no way they don’t make it super clear that that is the case.

Also not related to the pages, given the origin of Redirection I don’t think Azula should have the technique right now. It is based on waterbending and Azula has never been thought the details of how to use that technique and I don’t think she is the type of character to willingly use a technique based in waterbending. I think the creators have been pretty careful with the Royal Family and the 2 lightning techniques, Iroh is the only one who can use both. Zuko couldn’t learn lightning because of his inner turmoil, but he was thought Redirection by Iroh, so only these 2 characters know the technique, Azula can generate lightning as she was a firebending prodigy and wasn’t in turmoil, but she doesn’t have the key knowledge to use redirection, she needs Zuko or Iroh to explain it. I would be a little annoyed if they just explained this away by saying she figured it out from watching Zuko or something like that.

It could very well be redirection, but I think it is more likely to not be redirection based on what we know right now and I don’t think the technique suits her character as it is right now.

4. funtime Said: Comment by funtime on March 6, 2016 at 5:46 am | Permalink

the non-spoiler for part 3 will be by the end of March ?

I will be getting a review copy, they said they will be sending it to me soon. I assume I will get it sometime next week and unless they give me a date to release the review on I will have the review up the day I get the book.

5. Franklin Said: Comment by Franklin on March 6, 2016 at 7:15 am | Permalink

My real question is how did zuko survive a shoot of lightning to the body last time that happens was in sozin comet and he almost died and he acts like it nothing

Anubis3200 Reply:

Exactly , Sozin comet. What means 10 times stronger. Besides it could’ve been weaker attack to begin with. If it’s Azula, her goal was clearly not to kill this time around. everything she did in those panels, was pure self defence. She did not start a single attack on her own.

While in Sozin comment she was going for a kill.

NikkitaTheMetahuman Reply:

That is absolutely true. Maybe Azula’s like a double agent; she’s working with Ukano and the NOS by kidnapping children in attempt to make Zuko look like a weak Firelord, but she’s actually trying to help Zuko. It does sound crazy, but why else would she not kill Zuko?; Especially given that she could’ve done so on page 6.
    Maybe Aang was right about her in the search trilogy after all. Maybe when she does what the hallucination of her mother said (to take off her mask of fear and intimidation), it’ll be shown that she has changed.

Franklin Reply:

You forgot aang being strike by lightning with out sozin comet and he died

NikkitaTheMetahuman Reply:

That was before Azula went truely crazy

6. Majka0978 Said: Comment by Majka0978 on March 6, 2016 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

I have a strange feeling, that one of the other spirits is Kei Lo.

NikkitaTheMetahuman Reply:

That’s impossibe. He was with Mai when the 3 kemurikage kidnapped Tom-Tom and he was with Zuko, Aang and Mai in the dragonbone catacombs when they 3 kemurikage were kidnapping other children.
    However, I too am still a little suspicious about him. And I think in order for this trilogy to end with maiko is either Kei lo and Mai break up or Kei is revealed to be a traitor.

Anubis3200 Reply:

The kid said “Scary Ladies”, implying both of them are females.

7. Que Said: Comment by Que on March 7, 2016 at 3:33 am | Permalink

I don’t know what about you but I feel that Kei Lo will break up with Mai ?

Yup I agree I think Kei Lo will most likely be the one to initiate the break up, I think he will realise Mai is not fully committed to their relationship and see the connection she has to Zuko. I just hope so badly they don’t have Zuko and Kei Lo have an issue with each other over Mai.

Que Reply:

especially that Kei Lo points out that Mai is acting unreasonably like not telling Zuko truth about her father

Pu Reply:

plus Mai still has her picture with Zuko

8. Vega Said: Comment by Vega on March 11, 2016 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

What if Kei Lo breaks up with Mai and starts developing a strong friendship with Zuko ?

9. WM Said: Comment by WM on March 15, 2016 at 4:22 am | Permalink

I found an anonymous comment about smoke and shadows part 3 : “Anonymous: I actually asked the sole reviewer of the advanced copy of smoke and shadows 3 about the fate of zuko, mai, and kei lo. I legit cried at her response” I know that we should not take seriously anonymous comments but i think this comment is referring to Online Eccentric Librarian who did a review on February 10 of smoke and shadows part 3

Full Reply:

I don’t know if that’s a bad cry or a good cry