Smoke and Shadow Part 2 Preview

FINALLY we have the preview for Smoke and Shadow Part 2, which is out December 16th in comic stores( December 29th elsewhere).

This is a 6 page preview from ComicBookResources.

SAS-2-1

SAS-2-2

SAS-2-3

SAS-2-4

SAS-2-5

SAS-2-6

I love this preview it not only basically confirms what the next series will focus on (Sokka and Katara’s return to the Southern Water Tribe), but very quickly gets Aang back into the story as well as giving us another great Kataang moment. 6 pages in and I am already impressed. Also we learn that Katara and Sokka have an aunt called Ashuna.

Thoughts on this preview?

The Promise Part 2 Preview
Avatar The Last Airbender The Promise Part 2 Review
January Dark Horse Solicits - Smoke and Shadow Part 3 and Korra Statue
New Avatar Comic Announced, coming 2018, new writer and artist

1. Caroline Said: Comment by Caroline on November 19, 2015 at 7:16 am | Permalink

I feel like that Kataang moment is setting up for some kind of drama in the next series. Gene did say he wanted to focus on their relationship and bring in a bit of drama….

But overall I really liked the preview! It’ll be interesting to see Aang handle this without the help of Katara and Sokka.

Seth Reply:

it’s true, plus do not forget Gene told us in his interview that there will be a time skip in this next series so I would not be surprised if Aang decides to stay longer in Fire Nation to help Zuko after this whole mess with New Ozai Society and Kemurikage

Caroline Reply:

I dunno if Aang would be gone that long. I imagine this taking a while to sort out but not too long. Plus, even if he was gonna be gone for a long time, I think Katara and Sokka (at least Katara) would go to the fire nation to help him. I doubt they’d wanna be apart that long

Epsilon Reply:

I mean, he can’t be gone to long. the Rift’s epilogue takes place two months from now in the timeline and Aang is back with Katara and Sokka by then. Maybe the next trilogy will take place before the Rift’s epilogue and then the time skip will be the trilogy after?

Caroline Reply:

That’s true! Kind of glad they aren’t doing the time skip yet, I didn’t think they’d wait TOO long to go back home. But I think a time skip after this trilogy is definitely needed.

2. Airspeed Prime Said: Comment by Airspeed Prime on November 21, 2015 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Ok some additional info now that I have had a while to think about it.

Usually with these comics the actual pages start on Page 5, the first preview page is page 7, so that would suggest that there are 2 pages before this preview.

This has happened before with the comics like The Search where we once got a preview starting over 10 pages into the book, because the first 10 pages were part of the Ursa flashback they did not want to spoil.

Also as I have mentioned above we usually get a 7 page preview, so that suggests the page following this preview is important also.

Maybe they are reintroducing Azula much earlier than we think or we may have more scenes with the Kemurikage they don’t want to spoil.

Caroline Reply:

I noticed that too! Wonder what it could be. I feel like this book’s gonna be pretty heavy and packed with tons of info!

3. Robii Said: Comment by Robii on November 23, 2015 at 5:01 am | Permalink

I don’t think the kidnappers are real spirits given what we’ve seen

Caroline Reply:

I don’t think so either. Didn’t it even say in LOK that spirits don’t really care about human affairs? (I might be wrong about it this was actually said or not)

In general that is the way most fans see them and most spirits have stated. But it is not a 100% rule, I personally think they are not spirits, but these could be the exception and be spirits that are interested in human affairs.

Tob Reply:

it is surely Azula in disguise

Well there are multiple ones, and given that Azula last we saw her ran off alone, I don’t think she is one of the Kemurikage.

Rena Reply:

its true but we should not forget that she will appear in the third part

Yes, but because they have said that in the previews I assume she enters the story separate to the Kemurikage. They may be working together, but right now I don’t think anything points to her being with the Kemurikage.

If the goal of them is to get Zuko off the throne and in The Search Azua left behind the fake evidence to prove Zuko is not part of the royal family, it really doesn’t make much sense that she is involved.

4. New Said: Comment by New on November 26, 2015 at 4:27 am | Permalink

Wait a minute did they change the release date from Dec 29th to Dec 16th http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/avatar-the-last-airbender-smoke-and-shadow-part-two-tpb-dark-horse-comics-2015

Comics come out on Wednesdays, December 29th is a Tuesday.

In general this is a thing most Avatar fans tend to miss. Graphic novels always have 2 release dates, 1 for comic stores and 1 for regular book stores and online.
    The comic store date is always 13 days before the mass market date. Hence Smoke and Shadow Part 2 is out December 16th in comic stores and December 29th elsewhere.

Use comic solicitation sites to get the earlier comic store dates

5. Wen Said: Comment by Wen on November 29, 2015 at 6:04 am | Permalink

I found somewhere that the title of Smoke and Shadow It’s a reference to Smoke and Mirrors (definition: Something/Someone that deceives or distorts the truth)

Or because Kemurikage literally means Smoke Shadow.