SDCC 2012 Korra Panel Information Summary

Storm

Airspeed Prime here just as I was last year to cover SDCC for the site, again I am not at SDCC, but hopefully I can manage to compile all the info that comes out of the panel so everyone can experience it.

Korra Title final

All of this info is from fans who are at the convention including this sites own Donna, who is tweeting during the panel. Jenny SDCC on twitter/Tumblr is doing the same as well as Hypable who did a live blog and Matt Patches on Twitter. So major thanks to all the fans who are in at the panel and are doing their best to keep everyone not at SDCC informed.

NOTE/ This post will be updated many times as more info comes out!!!

• Just a funny thing I saw someone tweet, once the panel before this ended little to no people left the room and it is a huge panel room, Dedication from Korra Fans.
  • Panel begins with a montage of Book 1, With great music from The Track Team which ends with tremendous applause.
  • Further confirmation of Korra now being 52 episodes and 4 books (12,14,13,13 is the Book Breakdown)
  • 4500 People in the full panel room, with 4000 missing out on a place in the panel.
  • Mike and Bryan kind of “interviewing” the voice actors present (Seychelle Gabrielle, P.J.Byrne, David Faustino and Janet Varney) mainly about voicing their characters and their similarities to their characters. Seychelle says that both she and Asami overpack, , Janet loves playing an Avatar so different to Aang, David Loves playing a big hero character and P.J loves Bolin so much he would never change roles.
  • They start a script read from Book 1, with Voice Director Andrea Romano reading out the parts of the script that tell the actors what is happening in the scene, P.J Byrne is hilarious.
  • They are reading scenes from K104 “The Voice In The Night” and K105 “The Spirit Of Competition”
  • They are now doing the scene from K108 when they prepare for their first city patrol as TEAM AVATAR and a scene from “Turning The Tides” and a scene from “Skeletons In The Closet”
  • BOOK 2 IS NAMED “Spirits and will take place 6 months after the end Of Book 1
  • They are showing artwork from Book 2, including snowy landscapes of the Southern Water Tribe during a festival, including a big hall made of Ice.
  • They will travel into the SWT Tundra, with bright green sky.
  • They will encounter a glowing iceberg similar to Aang’s from 101
  • They will travel back to the Southern Air Temple in Book 2
  • We will get spirit world action, Book 2 will explore the history of the Avatar (creation of the avatar) and The Spirit World. 2 special episodes devoted to this (I think)
  • Asami will take over Future Industries and Bumi and Kya will be main characters
  • Bumi wears Pink earmuffs
  • The characters will all have updated winter looks for the Water Tribe
  • We will meet Korra’s uncle Unarock (not sure if this is the correct spelling, just what someone posted) supposedly all of Korras family is BA, lol
  • Kya is a bit of a bippy, has a special bond with Jinora.
  • Bolin will wear a green parka
  • Mako will have a coat
  • We will see more of Korra’s parents, Tonraq and Senna, including flashbacks of Tonraq in his 20’s…..Shirtless, Unarok is his brother, who is posh, from the NWT. More on North Vs South issue. He has twins.
  • They show a spirit who is spiny and evil looking.
  • Pro Bending will return, they show an Animatic of The Fire Ferrets Vs The Lion Elephants.
  • Korra is racing Jinora in Airball and uses the Avatar State to beat her which annoys Tenzin, animatic I think.
  • Motorcycle chase with Mako and Korra chasing some robbers.Storyboards.
  • Mako becomes a cop in Book 2 !!!
  • The Fire Ferrets now consist of Bolin and 2 new teammates, which I assume makes Bolin the Captain. Playing with new players the team is losing.
  • Korra is attacked by a spirit and pinned down and uses the Avatar state to free herself. Storyboards
  • Bolin looking for his path in life.
  • Tonraq’s brother mentioned above is more in touch with the spirits and helps Korra with the Avatar State he is the head of the NWT, Chief I assume
  • Bolin is friends with a guy named Verick and they have a funny relationship, as Verick is a ladies man.
  • They are recording the crowd in the panel for use in probending crowd scenes in Book 2
  • And that appears to be the end of the panel
  • For Book 2 Bryan is focusing more on design and more writers have come in to help Mike, so basically work is being done on 2,3 and 4 as we speak in some form or other.
  • Kya is really into healing

More to follow, mainly any pics and videos that come out, updates could go on for some time.

Images (Credit to Owl Dee on Tumblr)

Korra’s Uncle

Korras uncle

Korra’s Uncle, Tonraq’s brother the leader (chief) of the Northern Water Tribe, Unarock (sp)

Spirit

Spirit

A spirit from Book 2, they appear to be the villians of the season, maybe

Korra new

Korra’s new outfit for Book 2

Tonraq

A younger Tonraq (I think)

SWT Festival

Southern Water Tribe festival concept art

Festival Banquet Hall

Festival Banquet Hall

Icy Tundra

Icy Tundra

Storm

As storm Korra and friends get trapped in.

Spiritual source

Spiritual Energy Source.

deep spiritual source

Deeper in the spiritual energy source

Southern Air Temple

Southern Air Temple

SAT Secret Door

A secret trap door at the Southern Air Temple

Spirit World

Concept Art of the Spirit World

Mako New

Mako’s new outfit design for Book 2

Bolin New

Bolin’s new outfit for Book 2

Asami New

Asami’s new outfit for Book 2

Asami New 2

Asami’s other new look, Amelia Earhart inspired.

Tenzin new

Tenzin’s Book 2 look

Bumi

Bumi with his devilishly stylish Pink Earmuffs

Bumi's Face

The various faces of Bumi

Senna

Senna, Korra’s mother, we will learn more about her and Tonraq in Book 2

Tonraq

Tonraq, Korra’s father

Unolok's face

Korra’s Uncle, Unolok’s facial expressions.

Kya

Our first proper look at Kya, Tenzin’s sister

Unolok's Son

Unolok’s son, he has a twin sister. Korra’s cousin.

Unolok's Daughter

Unolok’s daughter

Daughter Face

The daughter’s facial expressions, wow that one of her screaming, creepy…

Verick

Verick a SWT captain of industry guy, who is a bit of a ladies man and has an odd relationship with Bolin.

Verick Face

The various faces of the eccentric Verrick (sp)

The Legend of Korra Episode 5
The Legend Of Korra Episode 5 – β€œThe Spirit Of Competition” description
Book 1 Air DVD confirmed to have crew commentary
New SDCC 2014 Korra Merchandise

1. Ricardo Said: Comment by Ricardo on July 13, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

This is so exciting! I can already imagine it as if I was there myself.

Thanks Airspeed Prime! πŸ˜€

2. AvatarAsh Said: Comment by AvatarAsh on July 13, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

This is awesome getting updates like this. Thank you!!!! πŸ™‚

3. Rance100 Said: Comment by Rance100 on July 13, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

I agree with Ricardo, This is exciting and you can imagine it really easy.

4. Ricardo Said: Comment by Ricardo on July 13, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Book 2: Spirits!

Half in the Southern Water Tribe, other half must be in the spirit world πŸ˜‰
    I guess Korra focuses more on her spiritual self and that also means more Aang! πŸ˜€

5. Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on July 13, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

YES I can’t believe se were tight about the name of book 2

Ricardo Reply:

Aye, it was a brilliant guess.
    The fandom is amazing in that aspect πŸ˜€

6. Rance100 Said: Comment by Rance100 on July 13, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

LOL! Bumi wears pink earmuffs XD

7. Ricardo Said: Comment by Ricardo on July 13, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

History of the Avatar. Now THAT is a very interesting topic.

8. Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on July 13, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Yes! we now know what book 2 is named and it takes place in less than 6 months!

Ricardo Reply:

I think it means that it takes place 6 months after the tragic death of Noatak and Tarrlok and the non-bending retaliation.
    Not in real life time XD

Avatar Yangchen Reply:

πŸ™ πŸ™ πŸ™ πŸ™ πŸ™

9. clintoshoto Said: Comment by clintoshoto on July 13, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Great to hear that Aang’s kids are now main characters!

10. Ricardo Said: Comment by Ricardo on July 13, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

For some weird reason, I’m now more interested in Tonraq and Senna than Kya and Bumi. O.o

Though I can’t wait to see all their personalities.

11. Ricardo Said: Comment by Ricardo on July 13, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Steve Blum (Amon) and Dee Bradley Baker (Tarrlok) are in the audeince, and not on stage.

“We love you guys. Sorry we blew up the boat.” — Bryan Konietzko

Hahaha, nice amusing moment. XD

12. Ricardo Said: Comment by Ricardo on July 13, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

“Korra is racing Jinora in Airball and uses the Avatar State to beat her which annoys Tenzin, animatic I think.”

Glad the game is back! It was awesome.
    Also seems like that Korra has now mastered the Avatar State.

“Korra is attacked by a spirit and pinned down and uses the Avatar state to free herself.”
    And seems like she uses it a lot now πŸ˜€

13. Brandy Said: Comment by Brandy on July 13, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait to hear about the creation of the avatar! I’ve always wondered how it got started…

Ricardo Reply:

Yeah, what did the first Avatar do? There was no guidance available, it must have been incredibly tough. But how did the Avatar come to be?
    All big questions…

14. Ricardo Said: Comment by Ricardo on July 13, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Mako a cop and Bolin as the team captain of the Fire-ferrets.

Hm, does this have anything to do with Bolin losing his innocent character arc?

Ricardo Reply:

“Bolin looking for his path in life.”

That’s interesting…

15. clintoshoto Said: Comment by clintoshoto on July 13, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

And now the crowd is gonna be a part of the show!? WHAT IS THIS.

Ricardo Reply:

Hahaha, I think it’s epic. I wonder if they’ll make the character faces in Book 2 to be similar to the crowd as well?

Ricardo Reply:

“We’re going to record sounds for Pro Bending crowds! Yay!”

The Pro-bending audience in Book 2 will have the Comic Con panel crowd cheers XD

16. Ricardo Said: Comment by Ricardo on July 13, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Still no mention of Sky Bisons, Lemurs, or even a villain!

“They show a spirit who is spiny and evil looking.”

Perhaps spirits in general are the antagonists?

17. Tea Drinking Uncle Said: Comment by Tea Drinking Uncle on July 13, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Mako becomes a cop! Thats pretty interesting as he cannot metalbend, Is he the only firebender in the police force?

Ricardo Reply:

There were many waterbenders in Tarrlok’s task force, and I assume they’re all cops. Perhaps the ones that can metalbend are part of Lin’s special team: the metalbending police force?
    So there could be other cops as well, and also non-bending cops.

18. Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on July 13, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Im dead.
    I want to scream right now of Joy And excitment, but There are people here and they would fear my life and Id look like FREAK
    SO I will hold everything until I get Home, AND then Ill SCREAMM!!!!

19. Ricardo Said: Comment by Ricardo on July 13, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

“We will meet Korra’s uncle Unarock (not sure if this is the correct spelling, just what someone posted) supposedly all of Korras family is BA, lol”
    Might be ‘Ulak’

Also, Kya’s favourite song is “Secret Tunnel”.
    That awesome song is going to be back! Yeah! πŸ˜€

Avatar Amanda Reply:

I love the news we are getting!!!!!!! And Secret Tunnel is one of the catchiest songs. Remembered all of the lyrics.

AvatarAsh Reply:

Ahhhh, I LOVE the fact that “Secret Tunnel” is making a comeback! WOOT! πŸ™‚

Ricardo Reply:

Korra’s uncle also has twins, a boy and a girl.

20. Ricardo Said: Comment by Ricardo on July 13, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

“Mike is working with the writers on book 3 and Bryan is looking at animatics since he’s the art director. Designers in Burbank are hard at work on Book 2 and 4.”
    “Mike and I got to write Book One together, which was nice, but all my design work fell behind.” So Book 2 has some more writers working with Mike, and Bryan’s peeking in whenever he can. “If you want your own show: BEWARE.” — Bryan Konietzko

Judging by this, I think it’s fair to say that Book’s 3 and 4 won’t take nearly as long to come out as Book 2 did after Book 1.

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yeah looks like they’re pulling in a team effort to make this happen.

21. AvatarAsh Said: Comment by AvatarAsh on July 13, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

OMG, all this wonderful info! I can’t wait to see all of this!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOO! πŸ™‚

22. Admin / Jordash Said: Comment by Admin / Jordash on July 13, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Tons of awesome information coming in!

I am just trying to keep up with it, I am both excited for and dreading the inevitable super Image dump, lol

23. the avatarek1011 Said: Comment by the avatarek1011 on July 13, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Korra uses the Avatar State to win a race against Jinora? wow, that’s not cool.

Ricardo Reply:

I think it’s brilliant! πŸ˜€
    Shows competition between the two and that normally Jinora is better.
    Korra has also mastered the Avatar State.
    It’s awsome.

24. KorraFan16 Said: Comment by KorraFan16 on July 13, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

There are no words that can describe how happy I am right now! Spirits, this is amazing! I think, I just contradicted myself but oh we’ll! πŸ™‚

25. OG Sokka Said: Comment by OG Sokka on July 13, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

So much news. Tumbr is blowing up

26. Ricardo Said: Comment by Ricardo on July 13, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

The Spiritual Energy Source seems fascinating! πŸ™‚

Ricardo Reply:

Oh WOW! The spirit world is now gorgeous!
    It’s no longer that dark, with a blue-ish hue and mysterious place now.
    It’s like a fantasy wonderland! πŸ˜€

27. korrakicksbutt19 Said: Comment by korrakicksbutt19 on July 13, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

ya know what makes me happy the fact that this is know a full blown series with 52 episodes im so happy i think im going to go into the avatar state XD

28. Ricardo Said: Comment by Ricardo on July 13, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

The Southern Air Temple seems to have been revamped. There’s so much detail now! O.o

Ricardo Reply:

Secret trap door… XD
    I wonder if Aang knew about it. What’s below?

29. Ricardo Said: Comment by Ricardo on July 13, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Tenzin’s outfit really has changed a lot. I think I kind of preferred his Book 1 look, but I’ll make my decision when Book 2 has aired and I can see it in animation.

30. Korra Watermaster Said: Comment by Korra Watermaster on July 13, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

I LOVE ALL THE NEW LOOKS FOR ALL THE CHARACTERS

31. Arthan Said: Comment by Arthan on July 13, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Good job Morgan, and thank you for keeping us up to date.

32. Cynthia Mckitty Said: Comment by Cynthia Mckitty on July 13, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Thanks for keeping us up to date.
    I think it sounds great and I can not wait to watch the new episodes!
    I want to know when they will release dvds of korra!

33. Admin / Jordash Said: Comment by Admin / Jordash on July 13, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

I didn’t see it, do we know Korra’s Uncles name yet?

No one knows the spelling, but it is Unolok or something like that.