Rise of The Avatar gameup on Nick.com

Today sees the start of a big ATLA event Nick are doing, The Rise Of The Avatar Weekend. From June 13th to June 15th they will air all of ATLA in a marathon and they are kicking it off with the release of a new game on their website, Rise Of The Avatar.

Here is the link, note if you are not from America you will need to use a program like Tunnelbear to play the game.

RiseofTheAvatar

The game is a grid based button-masher fighting/adventure game.

It is interesting enough, but honestly I am not a fan of how it plays at all. The camera angle makes the controls awkward, because your view is a 45 degree isometric view I found I was constantly messing up where I was moving Aang. Did up on my keyboard make Aang go diagonally up and right or up and left and so on. Add to that that with it being a grid based game, but not turn based it makes the combat extremely awkward and frustrating as you miss your attacks constantly. Especially the part I got stuck on, the boss battle with Zuko, I simply could not beat him because of a combination of the controls and the awkward combat.

RiseofTheAvatar2

The level structure seems very basic, 3 main levels, one for Book 1 Water, 1 for Book 2 Earth and 1 for Book 3 Fire and a mystery level at the end that will be unlocked through a code revealed during the marathon on Nick. This game was advertised as taking place after the show, so perhaps this final level is post Book 3, but I am not sure and even if the level was open I doubt I would be able to make it to the level.

I also encountered a few bugs like Zuko phasing through obstacles he should not have been able to walk through and other stuff like that.

I think the game is worth a try and perhaps people more experienced with these flash games will get more enjoyment out of it than I did. I am interested in seeing what this final level is, but I was frustrated enough that I have no desire to really play the game again. I appreciate Nick putting up a new game, but at this stage I wish they would put time into developing a quality game and really make it something great.

Interview with Jeremy Zuckerman - Composer of the Avatar The Last Airbender Soundtrack
Zuko Speaks - A Video interview with Dante Basco, ATLA
Fun Christmas Events On This Site
Avatar The Last Airbender: Shells (Free Comic) Review

1. Troy Said: Comment by Troy on June 9, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

@badgermole1 Get to the last level, we need you to tell us.

2. Greg2Bender Said: Comment by Greg2Bender on June 9, 2014 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

As flash games go its just ok. It took me a while to adjust to the isometric view but after a while I could navigate enough to avoid enemies. I noticed the bug with zuko too. It seems the less life he has the harder he get which is expected but being able to break the game physics it a bit much if that was intended which I doubt it was.

The dancing dragon gave me the hardest trouble since you have to really get the timing down with your keyboard. The moves they where preforming actually looked kind of cool but if you try to look at Zuko and Anng while doing the moves you will mess up which is too bad.

Getting fire bending was pretty cool though but it seems a bit over powered since it’s a one hit kill on most enemies though it does take a good amount of energy to do.

It took me under 30mins more or less I think to get through the 3 books but I didn’t bother trying to get the all the medallions.(I’m the avatar why would I not use all of my elements on a level?) Not sure why I was expecting something more awesome, must of been the 5 seconds in the trailer made it look good.

I wonder if the last stage is air and Aang gets an upgraded air attack. We need someone to just figure out the code and tell us so we don’t have to wait.

3. Marco Polo Said: Comment by Marco Polo on June 10, 2014 at 8:20 am | Permalink

Aang the pacifist beating the crap out of people untill they evaporate. Okay then… 😛

4. P.K.Z Said: Comment by P.K.Z on June 12, 2014 at 8:23 am | Permalink

Enjoyable.

5. Troy Said: Comment by Troy on June 13, 2014 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

The tv event has already started. I don’t get nicktoons, I think nobody needs to watch. If I find the code on tumblr I will post it here for people on the site who have made it that far.

6. bob Said: Comment by bob on June 13, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

i need a code

7. bob Said: Comment by bob on June 13, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

i need a code.

8. Garrett W. Said: Comment by Garrett W. on June 13, 2014 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Latest code unlocks advanced water bending: water, earth, earth, white lotus, water. That’s the only one I have so far.

kro Reply:

earth is —water, earth, fire, earth, water

Garrett W. Reply:

Mystery level + advanced firebending: water, fire, air, white lotus, white lotus.
    Figured it out early by trial and error. 🙂

Garrett W. Reply:

Turns out the fourth glyph is supposed to be fire actually. My bad.

Garrett W. Reply:

Unlock Zuko: air, fire, fire, earth, white lotus.

Garrett W. Reply:

Turns out this last one is really the only one you need, because it unlocks all the other things too. 😛

9. kro Said: Comment by kro on June 14, 2014 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

earth is water, earth, fire, earth, water

10. Garrett W. Said: Comment by Garrett W. on June 14, 2014 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Advanced earthbending code: water, earth, fire, earth, water

Garrett W. Reply:

@airspeed i guess you can delete this… i didn’t see the last guy’s reply when i posted it

11. BOB Said: Comment by BOB on June 14, 2014 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Does anyone know the codes?

12. BOB Said: Comment by BOB on June 14, 2014 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Any idea what the firebending combo is?

Garrett W. Reply:

firebending comes with the last level’s code today. but i’ve already figured it out–see my comment above.

13. Jonathan Kimbell Said: Comment by Jonathan Kimbell on June 15, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

the last code is water,fire, air, fire, white lotus

14. phil Said: Comment by phil on June 15, 2014 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

firebending code: water, fire, air, fire, lotus

15. phil Said: Comment by phil on June 15, 2014 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

anyone got the play as zuko yet?

16. Liz Said: Comment by Liz on June 15, 2014 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Advanced FIREBENDING is Water, Fire, Swirl, Fire, White lotus

17. Brandon Said: Comment by Brandon on June 15, 2014 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

Zuko code water-fire-fire-earth-White Lotus

18. Brandon Said: Comment by Brandon on June 15, 2014 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Zuma Code air-fire-fire-earth-White Lotus sorry typo.