Page 2 M. Night Shyamalan Discussion
More questions asked about M. Night Shyamalans’ upcoming movie: The Last Airbender
[wpaudio url="/Avatar/mnightinterview/ReligiousAspects.mp3" text="Night Talks about The Religious and Cultural Aspects of the Movie (1:37)" dl="0"]
Question From – Jack B. LastAirbenderFilm.com
Summary – M. Night Talks about some of the Religious, Spiritual, and Cultural aspects that are going to be present in the movie.
- One reason M. Night connected so much with The Last Airbender is that the cultures represented were intertwined with his own.
My Response – I’m always interested to learn about other peoples cultures and beliefs. One of the reasons I loved The Last Airbender was that it’s message was one of having peace between cultures and ideas, accepting people for who they are.
[wpaudio url="/Avatar/mnightinterview/UnexpectedChallenges.mp3" text="Shyamalan discusses some unexpected challenges he faced making The Last Airbender (2:49)" dl="0"]
Question From – Teddy B. of LastAirbenderFans.com
Summary – In addition to fitting in the humor, another of Shyamalan’s challenges was to work with CGI, due to the time it took to see the finished product.
- Night discusses unexpected obstacles and challenges that faced him.
My Response – When I first heard about Avatar The Last Airbender being made into a movie, much like M. Night Shyamalan I was worried that it was going to be way cheesy, fortunately looks like M. Night is doing is best to overcome all the obstacles facing him.
[wpaudio url="/Avatar/mnightinterview/Racebending.mp3" text="Night Addresses Racebending Issues (6:40)" dl="0"]
Question From – Meredith of io9.com
Summary – After casting decisions were made a large amount of fans were disappointed that the cast did not feature more Asian characters, M. Night addresses those concerns.
- Characters like Katara and Aang were intentionally drawn to be a neutral or mixed race, I see them as American, M. Nights Kids see them as Indian.
- The Earth Kingdom is going to be Asian, including Toph (another major main character)
My Response – The Earth Kingdom is the largest nation in the Avatar World, and they are Asian … Doesn’t sound racist to me. I think M. Night made his honest best decisions when making the casting calls.
[wpaudio url="/Avatar/mnightinterview/TrackTeam.mp3" text="Shyamalan talks about The Track Team and Soundtrack of The Movie (2:03)" dl="0"]
Question From – Jack B. of LastAirbenderFilm.com
Summary – M. Night says that the upcoming theme is inspired by the epic Soundtrack put out by The Track Team, James Newton Howard (Batman Begins, Unbreakable) will be the composer of the live action movie.
- Night is involving Newton Howard with the creation of the movie as much as possible for a more authentic soundtrack
- Night is way excited about the Soundtrack for the movie.
My Response – The Soundtrack so far seems ok, I can’t wait to hear more. I hope at least a couple of tracks can be more heavily influenced by The Track Team, on a side note, I hope the original Avatar The Last Airbender Soundtrack comes out soon!
[wpaudio url="/Avatar/mnightinterview/Haru.mp3" text="The Unknown Earthbender and Firebender are no longer unknown! (1:20)" dl="0"]
Question From – Jordan G. of AvatarTheLastAirbenderOnline.com
Summary – The cool scene of an Fire Bender attacking an Earthbender is now confirmed as the Haru Episode.
- The Earthbending Prison camp is set in a rock quarry inspired by Nelson Mandela of South Africas Prison
- M. Night Says this scene will be particularly cool.
My Response – Although this scene deviates from the source material a bit, i’m still way excited to see it.
[wpaudio url="/Avatar/mnightinterview/AsianInfluence.mp3" text="Night Talks about the Asian Influence on the film, and talks of a new Language (2:22)" dl="0"]
Question From – Addressed to Group
Summary – M. Night said an early discussion about the movie was about the level of Asian Culture presented in the show.
- Shyamalan made the comparison that Asian Influence is to Avatar The Last Airbender, What Medieval is to Lord of The Rings
- A new language is being developed specifically for The Last Airbender (Heavily Influenced by Chinese Calligraphy)
My Response – I thought M. Nights analogy was great. Avatar The Last Airbender is heavily inspired by the fantastic Asian Culture, but it also mixes several other cultures together, making it it’s own unique blend of awesomeness.
[wpaudio url="/Avatar/mnightinterview/IronMan.mp3" text="Iron Man 2 is Going to Feature the final Airbender Trailer" dl="0"]
Question From – Addressed to Group
Summary – If I heard properly, the trailer to be released before Iron Man 2 is going to be The Last Airbenders last trailer before the movie release July 2nd.
My Response – I’m glad they aren’t releasing trailers which reveal the entire movie almost, like other movies tend to do.
I hope you enjoyed the interview.
You Might Also Like