North and South Part 2 and 3 Descriptions

NorthAndSouthPart2

We now have the product descriptions for North and South Part 2 and Part 3. Spoilers ahead if you consider these official solicitation descriptions spoilery for the as of yet unreleased North and South Part 1.

NorthAndSouthPart2

First up let’s go back and look at the Part 1 description.

When Aang leaves to aid Zuko with the Kemurikage, Katara and Sokka return to the Southern Water Tribe by themselves. Katara is shocked to find that her beloved village has become a bustling city, with none other than their father, Hakoda, in charge! A northerner named Malina seems to be behind this change, pushing the North and South to be more unified . . . but what are her true goals?

Here is Part 2

After attempting to kidnap Katara and Sokka, Southerner Gilak leaves a haunting note for Hakoda: “Soon you will see the truth, chieftain”. The vow leaves everyone on edge—including Katara, who remains wary of the two tribes’ integration. As Northerner Malina announces a partnership with the company owned by Toph Beifong’s father, her own brother comes forward to defame her. Have Katara’s worst fears been confirmed?

And finally Part 3

Fire Lord Zuko and Earth King Kuei arrive in the Southern Water Tribe amid protests of Gilak’s imprisonment. While the leaders hold council to solidify Malina and Hakoda’s unification plans, Gilak breaks free and leads a powerful rebellion! In the face of these two opposing tribes, Katara will have to make peace with her nostalgia and distrust to save the home she loves from being permanently torn apart.

My Thoughts

The most notable thing here is the mention of a new character from the South, Gilak, who seems to be presented as a villain type character in a similar way to the way Malina is presented in the Part 1 description. I have a feeling that it won’t be as black and white once the books actually come out since this North vs South issue is a very complex topic that even gets Zuko and Kuei involved at the end.

We also learn why Toph is involved in this book as it has confused many fans, she is clearly coming to the south as a representative for her father’s company the Earthen Fire Refinery. Which in The Rift was in essence a mining operation which begs the questions of what interest does Lao have in the south, what is there that his company may want or is this just a way to make a deal about workers for the refinery like Katara’s friends from the South we saw in The Rift.

I have more in-depth thoughts on these previews in this youtube video.

North and South Part 1 is out September 14th in comic stores.

Thoughts?

1. Avatar of ThePreciseClimber
    ThePreciseClimber Said: Comment by ThePreciseClimber on August 3, 2016 at 6:51 am | Permalink

What’s with Aangs clothes on the cover of Part 2? Wasn’t it established that he doesn’t need warmer clothes since he can use airbending to keep himself warm? Or am I just imagining things? I haven’t watched those Water Tribe episodes in quite a while.

Doesn’t require them, but if he knows he is going to a cold area why not get a coat instead of constantly having to keep himself warm via airbending breathing techniques.

ThePreciseClimber Reply:

That does make sense.
    Though I bet the main reason for the outfit is the fact it just looks more interesting visually in this setting.

2. Fat Said: Comment by Fat on August 3, 2016 at 11:31 am | Permalink

So we’re having an entire trilogy set in the South Pole and it sounds like Sokka is barely even involved…
    The story could have given some much needed attention to Sokka and Katara, who’ve been left behind story wise. Maybe show the siblings working together? Flesh out some of their shared past? Maybe even have Suki there and develop her relationship with Sokka?
    It looks like Katara’s getting focus, which I appreciate and maybe Sokka won’t be left behind and relegated to simply the comic relief again, but bringing in Aang, Toph, Zuko and freaking Kuei doesn’t fill me with confidence that he’ll get as much of the spotlight as he needs.

I assume Katara will be the main character of this arc, but Sokka will get good attention. Katara seems like the skeptic of this North and South unification, Sokka may side with his father on the issue which seems to be supporting the union, he is the one who eventually becomes chief of the tribe and SWT representative in Republic City. I think they will use his leadership skills here and foreshadow him becoming chief.

3. Ang Said: Comment by Ang on August 4, 2016 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Cant wait!!!

4. Koah Said: Comment by Koah on August 5, 2016 at 5:56 am | Permalink

Wait part 1 drops on 14th September right? Where can I watch it on the day it comes out? I *really* cant wait

5. Z Said: Comment by Z on August 30, 2016 at 3:54 am | Permalink

I have noticed that since the end of smoke and shadow as well as the announcement of north and south Gene did not participate in further interviews for Avatar comic series I do not know whether it is related that he is working now on other important projects or he doesn’t want to reveal anything specific, eg. the last part of the smoke and shadow which left behind many unsolved questions.

Avatar of

doratchi Reply:

What Unsolved questions? We have all the answers we need.

I hope it’s because north and south going to be something big

I think he means that Smoke and Shadow was different to all of the other series in that it left the story open for many plots, whereas the other series wrapped up basically everything they set up. The Search did something similar with Azula being set up, but left open at the end, but the main Ursa/Mother of Faces plot was so much stronger than the Ukano political/kidnapping stuff here. Most fans expect much more from Azula is Smoke and Shadow. I think it just means Azula will get huge focus in an upcoming comic series.

Stuff still left open after Smoke and Shadow
    -Azula is back, but she is still out there, we still have to come back and address what is going on with her. No Ursa/Azula scene being the main one.
    -Kei Lo’s mysterious leaving scene, it felt very sudden, where is he going, what is next for him
    -Mai and Zuko are on better terms, but not back together
    -Kiyi now has firebending, but outside of the scene she used it in it has not been referenced, we don’t know how many characters do and do not know she is a bender now.

Avatar of

doratchi Reply:

To be Honest I dont think it really matters. You need to remember that she’s crazy, she would probaly do the same stuff so we dont need another comics.
    She settled things with her mother at the end of the search.
    Kiyi and Kei Lo questions are don’t really matter, we can ask thousands of questions like this, but it dont really matter to the big story.
    And Zuko is back on part 3, probaly they would answer some of these questions.

I dont know what about you guys, but Im pretty tired of this fire nation stuff. And most of the fans probaly waited for more Water tribe with the old team avatar.

Most fans are happy to return to the South pole, but are much more invested in Azula since she is the main plot. We know nothing about Azula post Smoke and Shadow 3, not referenced at all in Korra, focus in 2 of the series and clearly building towards a big arc. The Search in no way resolved Azula’s issue with her mother, she ran away before talking to her, there can be no resolution until they talk or something else happens.

I am glad we are getting a break from the Fire Nation, but we NEED to go back to Azula, do you really not think she is the main plot of the comics overall, the big thing left wide open still?

Other than that we are just waiting to see exact details of how Yu Dao transitions into the United Republic.

Avatar of

doratchi Reply:

But Ursa apologized! They had a conersation!
    I really cant see why ya’ll focusing on these little details, but it’s very clear how Yu Dao became Republic city. We don’t need to talk about Yu Dao anymore, it’s clearly solved.

I think we going to get some answers at the begginig of Part 1, when Aang will leave the fire nation, and in Part 3, when Zuko and Earth King are going to the south pole, or just we will get some pages of the fire nation at the same time, like on the original show when its always switched between team avatar and Zuko.

Is it the last comics or they are going to make more?

If they had resolved everything in The Search then why was Azula a threat in Smoke and Shadow. Her character arc won’t be over until we address the root of her issues, most of which revolve around her mother, but also that she doesn’t really know what it truly is to have friends given that she always controls people through fear. Ursa and Azula talked in The Search, but Azula ran away before they could properly address the key issues, hence why Ursa is thinking about Ursa in Smoke and Shadow 1.

As for Yu Dao/United Republic City there is a huge gulf between the two, they absolutely need to address how it now shifts from a joint Earth/Fire Nation city to being a independent city for all that is considered the capital of the whole world basically. When does Aang start Air Temple Island, when does he find the other Sky Bison, those sort of questions are the bigger reveals we are looking towards.

I think they would have officially announced it if North and South was the last Avatar comic, that and Smoke and Shadow leaving Azula’s story open leads everyone in the fandom to assume we are getting at least one more ATLA comic. After that I would want a time skip to address other issues.

Avatar of

doratchi Reply:

Again, you are still intrested in minor and irrelevant details. Is it really bothering you how he find new sky bisons? Or how Yu Dao became a huge city after 70 years?
    Come on, those things are not really matter for the bigger story. Its like asking how Momo survived or how does the tempels are not burned.

So he finds a secret fly bison and the globalization is starting, do you really prefer to see this minor things beside new adventures?

I hope that not the whole fan base is thinking the same as you, I dont want to see another boring discussions about Yu Dao or the royal family in the comics, we need the important things-
    How Sokka became a Chief, how is Katara became the most appreciated woman of the tribes, How Aang deals with his new home.
    We absolutely finished with Toph- we saw how she became the metalbending teacher and chief of police, she reunite with her father.
    We finished with Zuko, ever since he finds his mother.

Irrelevant in your opinion, minor in your opinion. From what I have seen in the fandom Azula is one of the key things right now bringing a lot of people into the comics since she is so popular. The Return to the north has people hyped, but people also want the continuation of Smoke and Shadow since Azula was only really in Part 3 after being absent for The Rift.

Plus I think you are completely off base with much of what you say here. If The Promise created Yu Dao and we are in the gap between ATLA and Korra would the transition to United Republic not by definition be the “bigger story” the larger picture story, Zuko and Kuei being involved at the end to me suggests we will begin to approach the idea of United Republic. I just do not get in any way how you can consider Azula, one of the main ATLA characters, her arc to be minor and irrelevant. You using hyperbole to try and make it seem like I am citing minor points fails, because the Sky Bisons still existing is a pretty important point. For Aang right now in the comics Appa is the only Sky Bison, the Air Acolytes now exist in the comics and they have addressed stuff like Yangchen and other Air nomad stuff in The Rift, them explaining the story of how Aang continues the Air Nation and culture seems like a very valid story.

Ultimately Sokka becoming chief I don’t think is that big of a thing seeing as the position of chief in the south is not really official since the Chief of the North technically is the ruler of both tribes and we know he only becomes chief much later in his life, his first big leadership role would be as …. *drumroll* a representative for the Southern Water Tribe in Republic City, but nah, Republic city is irrelevant and minor according to you, but Sokka as chief/leader is important so which is it.

We are getting Water Tribe stuff in this comic, but the main ongoing plot of the comics is right now revolving around Azula. You may not be massively happy with that and wish they focused time elsewhere, but Azula is an important character in need of a lot of development.

I think you are also misrepresenting the opinion I am putting forth, I am not saying we should focus a whole comic series on an event like Aang finding new Sky Bison or training Kiyi in fire bending, but they are plot threads that do need to be explained and we are right in the timeline when we should be close to addressing it. I think you can have some of these smaller arcs happen while having a larger adventure.

Avatar of

doratchi Reply:

Thats what I have been tring to tell ya. They can answer these questions in something like 3 pages, just like how Aang find the Air Acolytes.

Maybe we have different way to see the story, but I can’t see why we should talk about Azuala, she’s just Zuko’s crazy sister.

About Sokka, I was wrong when I wrote ‘chief’. I actually mean the story of beign the man who they trusted to send to Republic City, which may be explained by how he and Katara made peace between the 2 tribes.

Aang may just find some wild sky bisons who lived secretly, we can ask around 300 questions like this on the original show, and to answe them we would need to have 80 episodes beside 61.
    But Avatar is all about the message of the series and the bigger picture, just 61 short amazing episodes.

But arguing about way of seing the story wont take us anywhere, every guy and is opinion.
    But we will find out on the 15th of September what is going on.

Avatar of

doratchi Reply:

You know, I thought about it again and you are right.
    But we both right.
    This things are important, but we dont need a whole 3 parts focusing on Azula reletionships and psychosis and Sky bisons. Avatar is not this type of series, we dont need a new comics which is just fan-feeder.

But you can 100% trust the creators, the are very talented in telling big stories only in few pictures, just like we saw how Aang and Katara got real closer in this search only by one conversatiom and few pictures. Im sure that that’s what they going to do about Azula.

The only issue I have with what you are saying is stuff like
    “I can’t see why we should talk about Azuala, she’s just Zuko’s crazy sister.”
    Ok, you don’t think she is overly important right now, but she is a VERY important character hence why nearly 2 whole series have focused on her with clear set up for her arc to continue. She is one of the few characters from ATLA who was very clearly left off withe her arc unresolved. She within the fandom that reads the comics has the most interest, because this is the comics dealing with a new character arc for a big character.

So my question is, why do you think Azula is not important? What is more important and in need of focus? You mentioned Sokka and while there are aspects of his life that we do need to know about, we at least know a few things about him in the future, with Azula we know nothing past where she is now and we know more happens to her given that Zuko doesn’t seem to be influenced by her as a leader.

Avatar of

doratchi Reply:

Look at my last commet. I wrote that you was right. Maybe I was too hyped for my favorite characters.
    It also would be nice to hear from Iroh past.

MPJ Reply:

about the interviews It’s possible that Gene is busy now with other important stuff like secret coders and new superman but in other hand i think that maybe he really doesn’t want to reveal too much about how Smoke and Shadow ended plus don’t forget North and South are lite bite connected regarding the events

It is pretty clear based on how news about the Korra comics is going that Nick/Viacom seem to have pretty strict rules in place about where and when the future content can be talked about. It is very apparent that Dark Horse are frustrated at not being able to tell us anything right now about the Korra comics despite the fans having figured stuff ourselves.

We have never really had too many interviews for the Avatar comics only ever when they were announced and a few here and there. I interviewed Gene Yang just after The Search Part 1 came out and he was very good at getting out of any questions about stuff yet to come, so they trust him to not reveal anything, but that also doesn’t make for a lot of interesting interviews.

6. Avatar of
    doratchi Said: Comment by doratchi on August 31, 2016 at 9:54 am | Permalink

How am I supposed to survive this 15 days my hype is too high
    I hope we will see a lot of Kataang

7. Now Said: Comment by Now on September 1, 2016 at 3:40 am | Permalink

hey guys look what i found http://avatarsymbolism.tumblr.com/post/149749147902/well-that-as-kind-of-disappointing-and

Avatar of