Next Avatar Comic Series Announced: Smoke and Shadow

SmokeandShadow1

At long last we finally have some details on the next Avatar The Last Airbender Comic series. Thanks to ComicBookResources we now know that the next ATLA series is called “Smoke and Shadow”, like the previous 3 series it is a 3 part series.

We have the covers for part 1 which will be out September 23rd 2015 and Part 2 which is out December 16th 2015

SmokeandShadow1

SmokeandShadow2

Now for some information on the series. It will tie into last years free comic book day issue “Rebound” which was about Mai and The New Ozai Society. Smoke and Shadow will focus on how Zuko deals with The New Ozai Society which is set on getting him off the throne, while Mai leads a rebellion against The New Ozai Society. No real mention of Aang’s full involvement, but I assume he will be helping Zuko deal with this new threat. Of course the creative team remains the same, Gene Yang writing and Team Gurihiru on art.

The interview with Gene Yang also mentions some more details here are some key points in bullet form

-Heavily hinted that Azula will be involved at some stage in the series
-Will explore the Mai and Zuko relationship in detail as well as Mai herself
-Iroh will have a role in this series
-Nothing concrete, but the idea of a bigger time jump after this series is brought up
-There is a spiritual element to this series also, mentioned that there is a spiritual element to the actions of Mai’s father who is the head of The New Ozai Society

There are other things mentioned,but these are the key info points right now.

Thoughts on this new series?

1. Avatar of Nikita
    Nikita Said: Comment by Nikita on December 1, 2014 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Instant awesoness just add NINJAS !!!

I’am assuming all three part must be already writen and part 3 still in the drawing process. And the next Comics series in writing process.

2. Avatar of 北方拓芙
    北方拓芙 Said: Comment by 北方拓芙 on December 1, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

About time! I was wondering what took them so long to announce the new series. Maybe Gurihiru got a bit more work this year and were unable to bring these out faster.

Based on what I have seen, I would say Gene Yang was involved in more non-Avatar projects this year than Gurihiru.
    I am not really sure what the big delay is with this series, I would assume that after The Rift they took some time off and planned a few series ahead before starting on Smoke and Shadows.
    I think they know that the comics will be important for the fandom post Korra and have planned ahead, at least I hope :)

北方拓芙 Reply:

From what I got from the interview, Gene certainly doesn’t sound like he wants to stop here… and the possibility of another time skip is undoubtedly exciting. Maybe we’ll finally see the gaang in their adult years and a transition to the Korra era by 2016.

3. Avatar of vman95
    vman95 Said: Comment by vman95 on December 1, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

these covers are awesome!!

4. Avatar of YangChen
    YangChen Said: Comment by YangChen on December 1, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

I’m excited to learn more about mai, i’ve always liked her but many of my friends don’t because they feel she has very little character developement so it would be nice to have some argument fuel :)

5. Avatar of ThePreciseClimber
    ThePreciseClimber Said: Comment by ThePreciseClimber on December 1, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

You know, if they didn’t waste it on that small free comic book, they could’ve called THIS The Rebound. I think it would fit. :P

6. Avatar of Troy
    Troy Said: Comment by Troy on December 1, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Looks good though the wait could use an explanation. Seeing as they have been able to release three series without falling behind.

7. Tom Said: Comment by Tom on December 1, 2014 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Mai is in the house : D

8. Avatar of Droc Plug
    Droc Plug Said: Comment by Droc Plug on December 1, 2014 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

A whole year away!!! I don’t know if I can wait that long!!!!!!!

9. Avatar of stefan
    stefan Said: Comment by stefan on December 1, 2014 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Maiko is back! Mai is Izumi’s mom. :) The next comic after Smoke and Shadow is probably will be about The Water Tribes which is going to be very cool and awesome.

10. Avatar of Joyful
    Joyful Said: Comment by Joyful on December 1, 2014 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

What Ever Just Waiting.

Water-Tribe Heart Reply:

that doesnt sound very… joyful? lol

11. Avatar of Water-Tribe Heart
    Water-Tribe Heart Said: Comment by Water-Tribe Heart on December 2, 2014 at 5:03 am | Permalink

bless these comics. If the series ended without these comics, i have no idea what i would do with myself.

Atry Reply:

Something nasty, perhaps?

Water-Tribe Heart Reply:

just going completely insane. yeah that sounds about right.

12. Tumas Said: Comment by Tumas on December 2, 2014 at 6:36 am | Permalink

23rd September 2015? That’s going to be one heck of a wait after ‘Korra’ ends.

Anyway, really looking forward to this one. More Mai is always welcome, especially after how she left ‘The Promise’ and her story in ‘Rebound’. Having the New Ozai Society seemingly be more of a threatening force than they were in the latter comic and after the allusion to them in ‘The Rift’ is also welcome.

And is it just me, or are Gurihiru’s covers improving? I know they usually design new covers for the Library Edition, but that cover for Part 2 would do nicely. (If I have to nit-pick I would point out that I don’t recall Mai having yellow eyes.)

13. Avatar of Appa Your Flying Bison
    Appa Your Flying Bison Said: Comment by Appa Your Flying Bison on December 2, 2014 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Looks pretty blessed. I wonder what the situation with zuko and Mai is gonna be. I’m guessing there’s gonna be one more comic after smoke and shadow

14. Avatar of White Koi
    White Koi Said: Comment by White Koi on December 2, 2014 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

So excited!! I hope the stuff with Mai will be interesting, I was never very into her character considering her complete lack of development so maybe this will be a chance to do what they couldn’t fit into the show. Since it seems like she’ll be a pretty big part of this next series, I’m betting she’ll end up being Izumi’s mama! Hope so. :) Also, is it just me or does Aang look a bit older on that second cover?? May just be that shot in particular, or the mentioned of an upcoming time jump skewing my perception, but I hope it was intentional because I think it looks AMAZING! (and naturally hr should since he is getting older. :P ) The wait will be painful but worth it. I read a lot of comics and I’m a huge fan of Dark Horse in general so I’m really glad they are continuing to publish Avatar comics!!!

I wouldn’t say Mai had a complete lack of development, she was a minor character in the grand scheme of the series and given her relative lack of screen time managed to get in some solid character moments.
    The Mai and Zuko relationship was explored pretty well and we do have a decent grasp on who she is as a character.
    Rebound has already expanded on this a bit and I am sure this will add a lot, but I think it is unfair to say she had a complete lack of development considering she does change from first appearance to the end of the series which is character development.

White Koi Reply:

Meh, COMPLETE lack was a bit harsh I suppose… I guess I more so meant that her character was flat (i know, that was supposed to kinda part of her character type in general) and unrelatable. Probably due to the lack of screen time you mentioned. I wholeheartedly believe that the writing team could make you care for and feel connected to pretty much any character. That comment was really meant to express my interest in seeing her become a truly fleshed out character, because so far i feel she’s really just been Zuko’s love interest and Azula’s pawn. I think this sounds like a great opportunity to take a very mediocre character and turn them into someone you actually feel for and want to see more of!

Atry Reply:

She might be a bit flat right now. But don’t worry, she’ll grow into it in time ;)

15. Jer98 Said: Comment by Jer98 on December 2, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Am I the only one who doesn’t want Azula as a villain?

I agree, at this stage making her the villain doesn’t work, I think dealing with her possibly having to decide upon her return from where ever she ran off to if she wants to side with her family and try to heal those bonds or just go back to before and side with the group supporting her father is a really interesting idea.
    That is the Azula we have now, a confused character who doesn’t know what to do. In a way Azula is now going through what Zuko has already went through, dealing with the decisions she has made already and having to make some key ones as we go on.

stefan Reply:

Gene Yang stated in an interview with Avatar Wiki two years ago that the dynamic between Azula and Zuko is fresh and new and not a repitition of what happened before but a natural development.
    The source: http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:KettleMeetPot/The_Ba_Sing_Se_Times,_Issue_46:_22_September

In The Search,Azula left the letter for Zuko,spared Ursa’s life,her visions of Ursa, and Aang told Katara and Sokka that he thought she changed imply what she will do in the upcoming comics.

Of course, but at the same time they can make it fresh and also somewhat similar to Zuko’s journey, Azula is different to Zuko, but has some big choices coming up.

stefan Reply:

True.Logically,Azula will have more character development.

16. Avatar of Shiney
    Shiney Said: Comment by Shiney on December 4, 2014 at 6:19 am | Permalink

I’m really looking forward to this series – it’s exactly the plot I was expecting, but that’s a good thing. (I’m also happy Gene says he thinks the Watertribes and Sokka/Katara needs some time in the spotlight soon).

Only negative things is the release date. September next year? That’s a long time. :/ I was hoping they’d release the comics faster, not slower, but oh well…

stefan Reply:

They could release Part 3 in March 2016 and the library edition few months later. It looks like comics about the Watertribes could be released in 2017.

MoonPeaches Reply:

I was expecting more comics, faster, too! We really have to wait until September? :(
    I think the plot sounds great.
    Any maybe I am the only one, but I would rather they did NOT do large time jumps because I dont want to miss anything. LOL Or the comics to end.

White Koi Reply:

Yes, but if the ATLA comics never end the the LOK comics can never start!! lol

17. Avatar of Zuko
    Zuko Said: Comment by Zuko on December 5, 2014 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Finally Zuko and Mai are together! lol. Kinda excited for this now because I’m gonna be missing all these ATLA and LOK vibes by that time. September 23, 2015, is one heck load of a wait. But this explores what I was kind of wondering about, because I figured that Zuko’s ascension to the throne wouldn’t be a smooth one, because after all, the entire Fire Nation was under Ozai’s rule for a while. I hope the New Ozai Society sees some sense because bringing a “100 Year Era” back again is pointless since the other nations are catching up with Fire Nation technology. I kind of don’t want the comics to end, whether it is ATLA or LOK because I miss the old avatar days a lot. And I’m going to be missing the korra days as well. And I doubt another series is coming, because then they might be just stretching it too much, and I don’t want the legacy to end in a flop. But I guess the countdown to the 23rd starts!

18. Avatar of avataraang
    avataraang Said: Comment by avataraang on December 16, 2014 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

these covers are awesome 10/10 , this comic series is going to be great for all the last airbender fans

19. Avatar of Jon
    Jon Said: Comment by Jon on December 17, 2014 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

I wonder if, down the line, we’ll get graphic novels of Bumi, Kya, Tenzin, and Lin when they were kids. But we haven’t really got to a point where Republic City has been fully built.

avataraang Reply:

I agree , some of the fans would be interested into seeing Kay , bumi , and tenzin as kids while republic city is being built , and we might get a chance to see Korra become the avatar for the first time .

Zuko Reply:

I’m agreeing with you on that one as well, although I think at a certain point they’re going to make it to the point where Republic City was built. But they’re making comics in between to keep the fandom more alive in my opinion, and I’m not arguing

20. Avatar of Zuko
    Zuko Said: Comment by Zuko on December 18, 2014 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

I kind of also hope that some day they’ll make a comic BOOK, so that it’s a big lengthier and you get the satisfaction of reading something lengthy. Not that there’s anything wrong with the comics, just a thought

21. C J Said: Comment by C J on July 11, 2015 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

Please give the new serious……