New Korra Merchandise out May 7th 2014

This came out of nowhere, after last weeks junior novel cancellation it was very easy to be very down about the future of Korra merchandise. Now, thanks to Dark Horse’s previews for March we know that we have some new stuff coming May 7th.

Personally most of this is not the type of merch I am eager to get, but it is good to see Korra stuff coming out.

First up we have a set of 4 coasters with the element symbols on them. I will admit that I get very confused by all the different symbols for the nation, the elements and the bending.Air for example I would usually associate the 3 spiral patterns arranged like and upside down triangle, but instead we get this symbol which the description says is the element symbol for Air.

The Description for everything here is the same

The Legend of Korra takes place seventy years after the events of Avatar: The Last
Airbender and follows the next Avatar after Aang-a girl named Korra who is from the
Southern Water Tribe. With three of the four elements under her belt (earth, water, and
fire), Korra seeks to master air.
We have themed our initial product releases to the symbols of these four elements, as
designed by show creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko and the
Nickelodeon creative team.

This set of 4 will be $9.99

Coasters

Next up are patches with the same symbols, but they are sold separately for $4.99 each

Patch A

Patch W

Patch E

Patch FUp next is a set of 4 pins with the same designs, the set is $5.99. Probably the only thing here I would buy, cheapest pay to get these 4 designs.

PinsFinally we have a set of 4 pint glasses for $29.99, these also have the Korra logo on the back in addition to the symbols.

Pints

Honestly these announcements have me a bit confused, I have been baffled so far by the merchandising strategy for Korra (I.E little to none), so for the first wave of new products to be glasses, coasters, patches and pins is weird to me. For Korra the stuff I would expect would be Trading Card Games, sticker albums, a toyline and video games etc. I am sure the above products will interest many Avatar fans come May. Admittedly these were announced through comic previews so they are aimed at the more adult fans, that said Korra is really losing out in terms of stuff aimed at kids. Nick after all is a childrens channel, why are they not marketing the show towards its main audience?

Thoughts on these items?

Avatar The Legend of Korra - News, Resources, and Information
Republic City Hustle Part 3 - The Smart Play is up !
The Legend Of Korra Video Game Out Today on Steam, PS3 and PS4, Tomorrow on Xbox 360 and Xbox One
K408 Remembrances available now on Amazon, Itunes and Nick.com

1. Airspeed Prime Said: Comment by Airspeed Prime on January 18, 2014 at 6:52 am | Permalink

Really want to know what you guys think of this stuff.

Is it just me that finds it odd that some of the first Korra Merch is coasters, with Symbols that not everyone is familiar with and an odd colour combination (Black, Orange and Grey).

Rance100 Reply:

I have seen the Air Symbol before in The Avatar Lego Sets. The color scheme seems kind of weird to me though.

Rance100 Reply:

I also would most likely only buy the pins if I bought anything.

2. Troy Said: Comment by Troy on January 18, 2014 at 7:05 am | Permalink

I am kinda glad they went with adult merchandise instead of a cheap plastic kid thing. The pins, not really sold on, but the glasses and coasters seem right as they will last and you can use them. The designs don’t make seance though which makes me hesitant.

Yeah I really wish they went with the more complex element symbols like they use most of the time in the show.

3. 北方拓芙 Said: Comment by 北方拓芙 on January 18, 2014 at 8:47 am | Permalink

Still waiting for the Korra video games… (and please do something a little more thought out this time, Nick…)

4. F.L.Z Said: Comment by F.L.Z on January 18, 2014 at 11:56 am | Permalink

I don’t like the colors .They seem weird to me.Beside what happens to those cool logos for water and air and especially earth?only fire makes a little seance to me.

Jadely Reply:

Agreed. I would much rather them go with the traditional colors rather than all the same color.

F.L.Z Reply:

You said it! I completely agree with you

5. Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on January 18, 2014 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

i do agree that this is a bit odd…but i would probably buy the glasses if anything, and maybe the patches.

6. Droc Plug Said: Comment by Droc Plug on January 18, 2014 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Pint Glasses! For a kids show? Hey whatever Nick’s up to I doubt it involves Pints of something

7. HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader) Said: Comment by HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader) on January 18, 2014 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

The only merchandise I justify is the waterbending glass cup. So whenever I drink water, I will remember the efficiencies of waterbending the water into my mouth.

Other than that all rubbish! I want a reaper axe with 4 element symbols on the side of the handle!

8. Karis Said: Comment by Karis on January 18, 2014 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

They should sell stuff like Mako’s scarf and Korra’s hair thingies, at least then they’d have children and adults wanting them. And I agree that the color scheme is terrible. The symbols, well, the one for water is specific for the tribes, and fire has the Fire Lord’s head piece. They just miffed air and earth.
    One of my older sisters enjoys sticking patches and pins on her purse, but she despises fandoms. So I think they were aiming at normal people when they made this stuff. Though the cups and coasters might be useful with tea.

9. Denise Said: Comment by Denise on January 19, 2014 at 2:09 am | Permalink

Their merchandise ideas do make sense. While the show is “supposed” to be geared towards children, the shows demographic is most strongly represented by teens and young adults. These are the people that grew up with ATLA and are now following LOK. The show even grew up too, matching themes that could relate to its older audience. I feel the designs are slightly different/unusual, but its cool all the same.

10. Zyon Said: Comment by Zyon on January 20, 2014 at 6:40 am | Permalink

That’s simbols of nations, not elements…
    I wouldn’t buy nothing, I like avatar and I have all Legend of Korra (2 books) on my mobile, but this it too much…

Well the product description for these items says otherwise. It says they are element symbols.

11. AvatarVeteran77 Said: Comment by AvatarVeteran77 on January 20, 2014 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Huh? What’s so unfamiliar?
    Fish out your ATLA DVD Box Sets, they should have come with a map, and an episode list on the reverse side. The dark gray border around the episode list has the 4 alternate symbols there. (including the air) But they’ve been featured several times in the past, remember?

It is more that most people remember and prefer the other more complex symbols. Not to mention the other ones are used more often. Add to that the odd colours for these and you have some odd choices.

Basically for me it comes down to, if you asked me to draw element symbols from memory, these would not be the ones I would draw. I would draw the Air symbol with the 3 spirals, the fire symbol that is more detailed, the earth symbol that is more angular and the Water one with the waves on it.

It comes down to that we really are not sure why they are different symbols and what each represents. Element, bending or Nation?