New comic series announced – The Rift

The news we have been waiting for since Comic Con started is at last here. After hearing nothing new from Dark Horse about new comics, and just a Gene Yang hint to go on, we were waiting for this.

Now thanks to comicbookresources we know what the next comic series will be.

Avatar The Last Airbender – The Rift, a new comic 3 parter from Gene Yang and Team Gurihiru. Part 1 will be out March 5th 2014.

Here is the “clean” cover of part 1.

The Rift 1

We also get a bit of a tease as to what this series will be about

The new trilogy shifts its focus back to Aang and the building of Republic City — now well known to “Legend of Korra” watchers. Though it was too early in the process to talk specifics, Yang said he was looking forward to return to some of the core “Avatar” cast after spending time away in the Fire Nation for the currently running “The Search.” “That story felt like a story of the Fire Nation royal family. The core relationships are Zuko, his sister and his mom. Those are the relationships we wanted to explore all the way through, so how we thought about it was, “if these are the core relationships, how do the other characters reflect what’s going on there?” That’s why we only touch a little bit on things like Sokka and Katara’s relationship.”

In particular, the writer is aiming at a larger role for his favored cast member. “What happened to me is that as I watched the show, Zuko was my favorite character, but now that I’m writing it, it’s Toph. I mean, I liked Toph before, but now I love Toph,” he said. “We’re trying to keep the focus on the characters. We want to talk about the world in relation to the characters, so what we learn about the world will always be filtered through their eyes. Aang and Toph will be the center of this one. I missed having Toph in ‘The Search!'”

Wherever the titular rift forms amongst the comic’s cast, Yang promises plenty of story movement.

The article also mentions that while the individual series are trilogies of parts, that this 3rd series is not necessarily the final comic series.

“I think it will just continue,” Yang said. “What Mike and Bryan wanted to do with the comic was show that the characters still had a life after that last episode, and we’re going to keep going on that idea.”

I am excited for a new comic series, especially the early days of Republic City, also what is that statue in the back of the cover ?

Who knows, but what are your thoughts on this big news ?

What Makes Avatar The Last Air Bender So Good?
Holy Wow! First Picture and More Details on Avatar The Legend of Korra, The new Avatar Series
Avatar The Last Airbender The Search Part 3 Review
Free Comic Book Day 2016 Info - Free Korra Comic Available this Saturday

1. 北方拓芙 Said: Comment by 北方拓芙 on July 24, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

More comics, the building of Republic City, a lot of Toph and possibly even MORE comics. Dang, the only way this could get any better is with either an ATLA soundtrack or a Korra videogame 🙂

Avatar Yangchen Reply:

or, we could get even more comics too 😛

北方拓芙 Reply:

Nah, more comics right now would mean a different author and different artists, and I’d rather have less comics with less frequency than lack of coherence and risking a lower level of quality 😉

2. Shiney Said: Comment by Shiney on July 24, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I was just waiting for this confirmation, as I think Gene had already been strongly indicating this: A new comic series in the works, and that they’ll likely just keep making these.

Personally? I’m very happy, because it’s now official that we’ll keep following the old Gaang on their journey into adulthood. This is goooooood.

3. Tedashii Said: Comment by Tedashii on July 24, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Yes! I missed seeing Toph in the Search, and I can’t wait to have her back in the Rift! I’m looking forward to her badass earthbending and constant blind jokes once more.

Perhaps they’ll give a few hints about her relationships in this one~? I am still holding out for Tokka.

YangChen Reply:

But then lin and tenzin would be cousins if toph and sokka got married

Tedashii Reply:

Well, they didn’t get together, so it’s still good. Technically. Again, just my personal preference, probably not canon.

YangChen Reply:

To be honest, I love the idea of tokka, and have been rooting for it since toph came into the gaang… hopefully cousins can date in the avatar world 😀

At this stage I think The Duke is highly likely, my evidence
    I would at the very least like them to address the friendship the two have. I mean come on, who else does Toph let touch her feet?

kataang:) Reply:

Hahaha that’s true!!

北方拓芙 Reply:

Though I kinda like the idea of Tokka, at this moment in time, it’s very unlikely this comic will address Toph in a relationship. Not even a month ago in LA, Mike said that he doesn’t even know who Lin’s father is, and by then, the script had to have been completed, at the very least outlined.
    Right now, the only way for The Rift to have a Toph relationship is if Mike just pretended to know nothing just for us to be completely surprised when reading the comic.

Sifu Kisu said a few months ago that he knows who Lin’s father is, so I doubt Mike does not know.

北方拓芙 Reply:

He did? Huh. Must be from a post when I still didn’t visit the site regularly. Then maybe Mike really was just teasing us.

He was at a con and mentioned that along with the fact that Korra would reveal what the sub form of Airbending is. We know the other elements unique ability, but not airbending.
    He could be teasing us too, I am not sure. I am just getting worried that they have all latched onto this yet unanswered question to keep a mystery, I just in general dislike the idea of keeping a characters husband or father a secret when it should not really be a secret.

北方拓芙 Reply:

You can probably relax about that, we’ve still got two unfinished Korra books and an undefined number of comics trilogies, so there’s plenty of opportunities for them to reveal Lin’s father. As was proven with The Search, they clearly have no problems with answering long sought-after mysteries (especially since it sells more copies).

Shiney Reply:

Yes, if the comics are going to follow the Gaang up into adulthood, (maybe even going right up to ‘seeing a teenage Lin and Tenzin’, as Bryke was talking about), we’re going to find out. But I doubt they’d tell us just to tell us. There’s probably some story to tell, eventually.

Personally? I’d take The Doph and keep Sukka, waaaaaaaay before I’d wish for Tokka. Although even if Toph gets a boyfriend in one of the coming comics, it certainly doesn’t mean he’s the father of her childhood, necessarily.

Shiney Reply:

*child

Derrick Reply:

I HATE the idea of tokka cause I mean sokkas like 17 and shes 12 that’s a little bit messed up

momo2009 Reply:

Well add 10 years and it be fine lol.

4. YangChen Said: Comment by YangChen on July 24, 2013 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

This is sooo awesome!

5. Luftmann Said: Comment by Luftmann on July 24, 2013 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Thisnis very interesting news.

6. Nico Robin Said: Comment by Nico Robin on July 24, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

A new comic yes!!!!!!!! 😈

HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader) Reply:

Ahahaha you’re so happy that your smile changed to the one I use 😛

~ღєιяιиι-¢нαиღ~ Reply:

hahaha

7. Hyriu 85 Said: Comment by Hyriu 85 on July 24, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

This is great I love Toph and can’t wait for this to come out. I do want to learn more on building Republic City. And ‘The Rift’ I wonder what signifigence that is????

8. kataang:) Said: Comment by kataang:) on July 25, 2013 at 8:13 am | Permalink

OMG i cant believed!!!!!GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!

9. Avatar M Said: Comment by Avatar M on July 25, 2013 at 11:33 am | Permalink

This is great!
    But I wonder what statue that is behind Aang…

10. Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on July 25, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

this is great news 😀 i wonder why aang is going to be a main character of this series, and i wonder what toph’s role is…

11. Korra Watermaster Said: Comment by Korra Watermaster on July 25, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

🙂 Another Trilogy to add to my collection of comics. The art cover look amazing as always. Cant wait till next year, I’m differently getting this for my birthday (March 9). another year of the Avatar for the Avatards 🙂

12. Water-Tribe Heart Said: Comment by Water-Tribe Heart on August 7, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

great news, even though i was never into comic books, when i learned that Avatar had comics of their own, i knew i had to get them.
    i knew that it contained information that i wouldnt get anywhere else. (:

13. Karis Said: Comment by Karis on August 31, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Trying-Hard-Not-To-Scream!!!!!!!!!! ^X^ I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!

14. Big Adam Said: Comment by Big Adam on September 21, 2013 at 11:53 am | Permalink

You don’t often see things like this with other cartoons/animes. It’s good to see the characters continue their lives after the series.

15. AguusMalafe Said: Comment by AguusMalafe on October 7, 2013 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Vale la pena esperar!!! La verdad no me gusto mucho que no este en La busqueda… pero bueno ahora va a salir en “La grieta” 😀

16. Nico Robin Said: Comment by Nico Robin on October 7, 2013 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

@aguusmalafe me encanta la mayoría de los cómics, pero cada uno de ellos el salir con cada vez es mejor y mejor, me imagino que esto será grande ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡