Mike LA Panel Info

Edit/ Videos of many of the questions are up online now and a few things have been clarified.

-What is reported below about Toph’s Husband from people who were there was never said. Mike was unsure how to answer it, but was aware how interested in knowing who it is the fandom is. He joked that it may be the next Zuko’s mom to be revealed in a comic 6 years later. So while initial reports hinted at us possibly never finding out, nothing was said either way. So obviously my opinion below is based on the initial reports which are now not accurate. Right now I am fairly neutral on the thing, nothing was said either way, but it was nice to hear the question get a huge pop from the audience, people want Toph’s Husband.

-Something not mentioned below was Mike being asked if we will see more Gaag flashbacks, he completely avoided the question, but hinted that “Aang is around” so more than likely he means we will get some Spirit Guidance Aang moments with Korra.

Nothing Book 2 related was mentioned, so pretty much everything was about Book 1. All of this info is collated from fan reports from the event

Michael_Dante_DiMartino

• According to Mike we may never get it revealed who Toph’s husband, Lin’s Father is. He doesn’t see the need to tell us or know himself.
  • With regards to how Amon took peoples bending away Mike said that he is such a good bloodbender that he can bend the energy/chi in another persons body and block it. I assume this basically means blocking chakras like why Aang could not use the Avatar state for most of Book 3.
  • He was shocked at the amount of hate Mako got from most of the fandom
  • He brought up Ursa with Toph’s husband and mentioned needing 1 unanswered question, even if it is not the one we expect.
  • As we knew from before Asami was initially planned to be evil, but as her character developed they decided she would be better off as a good character.

I am not surprised at all that he said nothing about Book 2, but I am glad that we did get some nice info.

I do always hate it when creators really go out to make it clear that they are not going to even reveal something, I get somethings don’t need to be answered, but why did he feel the need to explain bloodbending taking away bending yet say we won’t ever find out who Lin’s father is. For me I would get the opposite as a mystique around Amon’s ability makes sense, while not knowing who a main character who is beloved by the fandom at large married is baffling to me.

Thoughts ?

Korra Episode 1 and (half of) 2 up on Nick.com
Tonraq and Unalaq Information (Update - Eska, Desna and Varrick info)
Episode 4 "Civil Wars Part 2" up on Nick.com
Extended preview for "A Breath Of Fresh Air"

1. momo2009 Said: Comment by momo2009 on June 27, 2013 at 8:30 am | Permalink

1. a secret that will be kept until they feel they can sell that idea. *the secret of toph husband* most likely a comic πŸ˜‰
    2. okay so bloodbending can now affect chi….. so how does energybending work? o-o
    3. He didn’t expect adult to be watching this show. πŸ™‚ And he must had been just like mako during this time at the fire academy. 😎
    4 cool
    5 she should had turn evil. I can’t believe that she didn’t. Guess losing your home, father and boyfriend in one month is okay πŸ˜‰ *cough cheating boyfriend* cough

3/ ???

5/ You are leaving out the gain of many friends, Mako, Bolin, Korra and people who will welcome her on Air Temple Island.

momo2009 Reply:

well wasn’t he offically dating asami when he kissed korra? She was also on a date with bolin at the time.

You mean when Korra kissed Mako. Important fact to keep in there.

I just put a lot of the romance stuff down to them being teens, they make mistakes and all of them learned from it. So vilifying Mako for being confused I so over the top for me, especially when he learned from it and ended things with Asami in a friendly and mature way, the two are still friends, it is not like they hate each other. Asami has the most reason to be angry at Mako, yet is not, yet a lot of the fandom is, I am not sure why.

momo2009 Reply:

he never really apologize in my opinion for the kiss or for keeping it from asami. *he blame his brother* Well asami isn’t angry because the creator decided to protray her that way.

Really ????, “I am so sorry Asami that Korra kissed me” shouldn’t Korra be the one to apologise to Asami.

“Well asami isn’t angry because the creator decided to protray her that way.”

It is not like it does not make sense, why at that moment with so much at stake would she get angry at Mako for being honest with her.

Atry Reply:

“Oh, Mako cheated”.

I DON’T CARE!!

momo2009 Reply:

@shinobi well i do care. πŸ™‚

To be fair he didn’t unless you can explain where he cheated ?

2. Dudley Manson Said: Comment by Dudley Manson on June 27, 2013 at 9:13 am | Permalink

I still don’t think they need to explain who the father is. I think it’s just people going crazy wondering who they “shipped” Toph with. It might be in the comics, it wouldn’t bother me if it is.

3. Shiney Said: Comment by Shiney on June 27, 2013 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Hmm, I’m not so sure I agree with your last thoughts, Airspeed. Amon’s ability to take away a persons bending is an important plot factor and is relevant to the story. I’ll admit I was slightly bothered by the fact that there wasn’t much explanation on how he could do it in the show, but I suppose the series has always shown bending as evolving and progressive. I made up my own mind about the details, which was actually exactly what Mike explained it to be – I suppose it really is the most obvious and logical explanation and not so surprising when you think about it.

The difference is, this was a legit mystery in the story whereas the identity of Lin’s father has never been presented as a mystery, nor as important to the plot or even to the character. Unlike with Zuko’s mom, it serves no story or character background purposes. They have not brought it up, not even remotely, so I don’t know why we should expect it. Sure, Avatar spends a lot of time exploring the character’s family background, but many other characters we have no official parents for either. For example Pema – and I actually want to know, because I have a headcanon about it.

They can’t tell us all the details, but we can expect to told about things they encouraged us to question in the story. I don’t think Lin’s father is one of those mysteries, definitely not on level with “what happened to Zuko’s mother” or how Amon learned bloodbending.

So while I certainly WANT to know, I agree that in this case, it’s not essential, or even necessarily relevant, and it’s fine that it’s left up to the viewer to decide.

That is my problem, Lin’s father is not presented as a mystery nor should it be, so why is he making a big effort to tell us that we are not going to find out. Yet in the same panel explain a concept that he didn’t feel needed to be explained in the show. Sure Bloodbending and Amon’s ability was important to the plot, but the specifics behind the technicalities of how it works are not, the more important thing is how he learned it. Bloodbending details makes sense as a technical detail to be left a mystery, while a main characters husband being kept from us is just odd to me.

Plus the implications of this are pretty big with regards to any possible stories taking place during a time where Toph is married. It means any stories will be purposely written around her husband.

I really do not like the president this sets, that the creators are purposely deciding certain things are always going to remain a mystery while others are not, rather than it being natural. Why not leave it open to maybe finding out who he is, why specifically say we don’t need to know, why limit yourself.

I completely disagree that Toph’s husband is not important to her as a character, Toph is a character who we have only in rare scenes shown romantic interest in characters, so her actually marrying someone and having kids with them is huge for her as a character not to mention that her own relationship with her parents is a big part of her character, so how she and her husband raise their children would be a big thing for them as Toph would not want to raise her kids as she was raised. It is a huge part of her life and one of the most important people to her, knowing we will never see their interactions or know who he is is big. This is not just me wanting to know who is shipped with who, this is basically confirmation we will never see a main character with her child’s father.

I do not need a highly detailed exploration of him, I would even accept them saying that that he died early in their relationship and so did not play a huge role in either’s life. But to just flat out say no is very annoying to me, and it takes a lot to annoy me . I agree it is not essential, but that is not the point, the point is him kind of confirming that we may never be told.

Shiney Reply:

I got the impression that he was merely answering questions from the audience? That means he did not dictate what they were to talk about, and both topics was brought up because people asked him to. At least, that’s what I though, if not, then I agree that it made no sense to bring something up only to tell that he wasn’t going to tell.

But if it was an ask-session, then I think it’s perfectly fine to clarify and explain some ‘mysterious aspects’ of a story, while not wanting to reveal others or telling the audience to decide for themselves.

My guess is, they don’t plan on telling us, because they don’t have any reason to tell us on the schedule. While that might make it unlikely that we are told, there’s no reason they couldn’t change their minds if they wanted to. Also, let’s not entirely rule out the possibility that Mike was trolling here – he might actually plan to tell us, but not wanting to let us know that. I don’t know.

“I completely disagree that Toph’s husband is not important to her as a character” – I was talking about Lin here, not Toph. If the the comics continues with the Gaang into their adult lives, then I think Toph’s family life is just as important as the other characters, but it’s not from a Lin and LoK perspective. It’s important for Toph, but Toph is not a major character in The Legend of Korra. Lin is, and I don’t think it’s vey important to her character – could be, if they made it, but at the moment I don’t think so, other than revealing some details about her background.

You know, my guess is, whoever Lin’s father is, he’s not a significant character and he probably doesn’t have an important impact on either ladies. It could be that she married some minor character, like the Duke, but I doubt Tokka is even remotely possible any more. It could also be, Toph raised Lin alone for whatever reason, and whoever the father was, simply isn’t important because all we need to know is that Toph had her kid and perhaps a little about how that relationship was.

I think the father is probably unimportant and that’s why we won’t be told, and that’s why they don’t make a huge deal out of it – but the rest of Toph’s family life could still be brought up or be relevant, both to her and to Lin.

I never mentioned The Legend Of Korra, I know and have said from day 1 that I do not expect much if any exploration of ATLA characters in Korra. The Korra characters need that.

I got the impression that he meant they were never in any medium, shows, comics, art books etc going to reveal who Toph’s husband is. That is my problem, in saying that you have shut down so much potential just because you do not want to reveal the identity of 1 character. Yo are shutting down some potential with Toph, Lin and even some of the other ATLA characters just because you are keeping a character close to a main character a secret for the sake of having some form of unanswered thing.

Why did he not just leave it open and say “I cannot reveal anything now, we may say who it is somewhere down the line, we may not” the way we have it now it is just such a negative.

Until we see what he actually said I am not going to get really annoyed, what he seems to be getting at though, seems utterly baffling.

Shiney Reply:

Well, there’s two aspects to this mysterious man – he is Toph’s ‘something’ that resulted in a child, and he is Lin’s father. Potentially, this could be important to both and therefore be material for both shows.

We should bear in mind though, that at the current moment, we only have comics set about two years after the ending of ATLA and several decades before Lin’s birth. We don’t even know if they’ve considered taking the comics that far, so, as it is, there really is no reason for brining him up. Even if they do go this far into the timeline, it’s still not necessary if it turn out Lin is really just the result of a random one night stand or something like that.

If, at some point, there’s going to be an adult Toph focused story, I don’t see why he can’t take this back or change his mind.

I don’t think Mike said he didn’t WANT to reveal this – or even restricted himself from doing so forever – as much as he felt no reason to do so, because some mysteries doesn’t have to be told. I believe he wrote something similar when The Search part I was released – he was a bit anxious about the release, both because of the fandoms expectation, but also because (I think he said) some aspects of a stories is best left up to the viewer to decide. I think he means for this to be a ‘you can imagine for yourself what happened’. As a devoted fan, I’m not entirely sure I agree that we don’t need to be told, but I do get where he gets this from.

I think this suggests that the identity of the father, in Mike’s opinion, isn’t important to us for understanding Lin and probably also Toph’s future. He didn’t say he would never explore Lin’s childhood or Toph’s adulthood, though – I think we’ll probably get at least one more flashback with Toph, and I hope there’s comics beyond The Search that will give us more insight into her life.

So while I want to know, I’d like to remember that it might not be important at all. It’s possible Lin doesn’t even know who her father really is, because Toph might not have had a meaningful relationship with the guy. Or it’s possible that Bryke wants us to imagine him being whoever we think.

If they have no plans to bring him up then why do they have plans to not bring him up ? Why not just say there are no plans at this point in time and leave the possibility open at some point.

“I don’t see why he can’t take this back or change his mind.”
    The why did he say this in the first place, why give a statement either way if there is any possibility.

Again I do not see how a main characters husband is a mystery, for me unless they actively set up something to show a mystery around him then it is them actively just withholding information for no reason other than “I don’t know why you need to know, I don’t”

I would love to be able to agree with and like everything Mike and Bryan say, but this for me was a huge disappointment.

I feel we have kind of got off track a bit so I will sum up a bit

He was clearly asked about Toph’s Husband, which is a big thing in the fandom, it is not that only a few people want to know, A LOT of people want to know who it is.
    I do not know if Mike and Bryan know who it is, so they either know or do not. If they do know then why do they have that info in place if they see no need to tell us, if they don’t then why not just tell us or joke that they may not know who it is yet.
    Obviously right now they have no plans to explore him in anyway, I get that and I don’t think anyone really is expecting an indepth story about Toph and her husband.
    My basic point is why be so negative about it, why say effectively he is not important, when judging by the fandom he is to us, we want to know. When it comes down to it all we want is a name a name to add to the Toph family tree to replace “Unnamed Male”.

Paraphrase “I don’t feel the need to tell you, I don’t need to know myself” this seems to be what was basically said judging from what sources I have seen. I feel this is him not quite getting the fandom, to him “Unnamed Male” is no issue, but to us it is fascinating to have a name to a character even if we never see them and they are only mentioned.

Aang’s parents are an example of characters who we flat out do not need to know, because they have no impact on his life and because of the Air Nomad culture it is not an unusual thing so he would never feel the need to know. With this character they have an impact on Toph, more than likely all of Team Avatar and Lin more than likely as well.

It comes across to me as him looking to keep a mystery unanswered and picking something completely unsuitable.

4. Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on June 27, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

im disappointed that we arent going to find out who lin’s father is. i dont think we absolutely need to know who it is because its not as bad as finding zukos mother, but it would still be nice to know…

i figured that bloodbending had something to do with bending the chi, but i thought it would be more like twisting it up and/or removing it somehow.

5. Troy Said: Comment by Troy on June 27, 2013 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Videos of that panel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/kataraaang123?feature=watch

Wow if that is all that was said about Toph’s Husband people were clearly not listening, he never said any of the stuff that I heard in reports. Yes he seemed a bit unsure of why he was such a big deal (Huge crowd pop after the question tells a huge story).

The reports were getting at him saying we don’t need to know ever, yet he jokes at the end that maybe there will be a comic 6 years from now, so there is a chance we will get it.

Some pretty poor reports out there it seems. Unless I missed where something was said.

εŒ—ζ–Ήζ‹“θŠ™ Reply:

Lol, apparently the video where he says he’s shocked that Mako is hated by so many fans is not there. I personally see no wrong with the character, so I really wanted to see what the man himself had to say about it.

Shiney Reply:

I think it was reported that he was asked about that during signing, thus it’s not on any video.

Too bad, I’d be interesting hearing him talk about that. Generally, it’s fun when Bryke are completely baffled at how the fandom receive things.

εŒ—ζ–Ήζ‹“θŠ™ Reply:

Yeah. Thankfully, they really never were ones to let it interfere with their storytelling.

6. Troy Said: Comment by Troy on June 27, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

He said something to when asked about seeing more of the gaang that we would see Aang around.

Yeah I think he was hinting at more Spirit Aang, which I believe was confirmed a while back.

momo2009 Reply:

do you think see more of aang is good for the show? Since the show is now focus on the next generation I think it should show them solving the world problems.

He will have the equivalent role to Roku, so minor character. Same case as ATLA with Roku from the last generation guiding Aang and friends.

7. nicholas Said: Comment by nicholas on June 27, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

well mike thats how fandom works although i really liked mako the haters can suck it

8. YangChen Said: Comment by YangChen on June 27, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I’m dissapointed about not figuring out who toph married, but the bloodbending info is cool. And I think it’s crazy to hate on Mako, he rocks… if Asami isn’t mad, you shouldn’t be

9. DragonMoose134 Said: Comment by DragonMoose134 on June 28, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

Who ever said Toph got married? It seems like a husband/father figure isn’t prominent in the Beifong ladies’ life. One could say that Lin’s tough deminour could be brought on by the lack of a father/prominent male figure in her life. It also seems that Toph wouldnt be one to get involved in a relationship with all of her work with the police station and all. Lin’s lack of a partner also suggests the fear of relationships because they may have failed in her childhood (parents) and in personal experience (Tenzin). I personally believe that Toph was left as a single mother during pregnancy, or things didn’t work out. Either way I see Toph being a single parent. Just thought I’d give an opinion.

I seriously doubt they would do that in a Nickelodeon universe. Yes Avatar often does things that make you go “Is this really for kids”, but that is just something that Nick would not do.
    It is the same reason we cannot really see death on screen, or blood, and so on.
    I could see it where they were married and had Lin, but he died early on and then did not play a role in their lives. But because this is a Nick show and the show and comics are aimed at kids, they had to have got married.

DragonMoose134 Reply:

This is the same Nick that Ursa, being forced into marriage, had a child with another man when either married to Ozai, or while unmarried. The same Nick that then Ozai sends Ursa off. I think that they are capable of having Tophs’ husband be a flake, but I do agree that Tophs’ husband quite possibly could have died early on.

Unconfirmed yet, Letter could be a fake. We will hopefully know in 11 days what is the case.

Shiney Reply:

Still thinking Ozai-not-being-Zuko’s-father is a red hearing, but nevertheless The Search certainly deals with children born outside of marriage and love-less marriages. I don’t think it would be too out of line to have Lin come from a shorter fling, especially if they’re never going to dwell to far into this story.

I don’t know, it’s weird with Nick and their rules, and all what Bryke has been passing through them. It’s not like it’s not implied that Sokka and Suki was sexually active during the series anyway.

There is a difference between implied sex, implied out of marriage children and it actually being stated/shown as such.
    Because they can just come out and say it wasn’t so and blame us for thinking more than it is.
    Sokka and Suki in 316 hints at sex, but never confirms it so why would Nick not allow it if they don’t know either way. Kids will see it as a kissing session we will see it otherwise.
    Zuko in the search has been set up as a mystery throughout, the letter could be a fake to get Zuko off the throne. Right now it is just us believing it and thinking Zuko is Ikem and Ursa’s son. Page 1 of Part 2 could confirm it to be false.
    Huge difference for me anyway, so that Is why I would lean towards Toph definitely having a husband. That said it is a fruitless debate with no confirmation we will ever get Toph’s story.

It is pretty frustrating that Toph has so many unanswered things around her. The letter to her parents that seems to have been forgotten and now her husband being kept a secret. It is like they are trying to make her the second Iroh with lots of stuff we want to know, but they don’t want to tell us, lol

10. DragonMoose134 Said: Comment by DragonMoose134 on June 29, 2013 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

@airspeed , you should bring this up for discussion on the pod-cast, I’d like to hear others’ opinions on this. It is an interesting topic, and another thing to keep our minds enthralled in the avatar- verse while waiting for Korra.

I will be sure to bring this up when we are talking about this news πŸ™‚