M Night Defends Against Accusations of Racism

Earth kingdom Actors

Since the first casting calls for The Last Airbender, M Night has been under fire with accusations of Racism for the Casting decisions made in The Last Airbender, lately Night has been a bit more vocal in the defense of his casting choices, and I must say he makes some good points against those who say his casting decisions were racist. (Many so called “Racebenders” arguments are so blatantly ridiculous it’s laughable).

Possibly the most outrageous claim from “Racebenders” is that M Night intentionally cast White Skinned people vs Dark Skinned people with Darker Skinned people as the “Villians”. It begs me to question whether these people have actually even WATCHED the show, due to the fact that Zuko and Iroh (SPOILER ALERT) become some of the major heroes in the movie, becoming instrumental in putting an end to a hundred year war fueled by intolerance, hatred, and imagine that racism..

The main message of Avatar is one of tolerance and also of fighting against intolerance and injustice (in a sense fighting against racism). Here is what M Night had to say on the subject.

“Here’s the reality: first of all, the Uncle Iroh character is the Yoda character in the movie, and it would be like saying that Yoda was a villain. So he’s Persian.”

The filmmaker also said that some of the perceived villains in the story are actually the heroes.

“And Dev Patel is the actual hero of the series, and he’s Indian, okay? The whole point of the movie is that there isn’t any bad or good. The irony is that I’m playing on the exact prejudices that the people who are claiming I’m racist are doing.

“They immediately assume that everyone with dark skin is a villain. That was an incredibly racist assumption which as it turns out is completely incorrect.”

M Night says (And I agree) that people attacking Airbender for racism are completely missing the target:

“Well, you caught me. I’m the face of racism. I’m always surprised at the level of misunderstanding, the sensitivities that exist. As an Asian-American, it bothers me when people take all of their passion and rightful indignation about the subject and then misplace it.”

Earth kingdom Actors

The Earth Kingdom will be made up primarily of Asian Actors, The Earth Kingdom is the LARGEST NATION in the Avatar World. Avatar which is largely Influenced by Asian Mythology will feature an interesting look at Asian Culture.

Shyamalan also discusses his mindset while choosing the characters for the show, and if you stop to think about it, it makes a whole lot of sense.

“There are four nations, and I had to eventually make a decision about what nationality each of them are. What happened was, Noah Ringer walked in the door – and there was no other human being on the planet that could play Aang except for this kid. To me, he felt mixed race with an Asian quality to him. I made all the Air nomads mixed race – some of them are Hispanic, some of them are Korean. Every monk you see in a flashback, in that world, are all mixed race because they’re nomadic. I felt that really worked as a culture. OK, so that’s one-quarter of our world population. The second group is the Fire Nation; when Dev was cast as Zuko, I said, OK, I have to cast an Uncle Iroh that looks like his uncle. We’re going to go from Indian/Persian to Mediterranean, all that group with all its darker colors including Italians.

Moving on to the third group, which is the Earth kingdom (which is the biggest kingdom in this fictional world): I liked a bunch of the people who happened to be Japanese, Korean, Philippine, so I decided to make the Earth kingdom Asians. Now we’re at three-quarters of the world. Now I have the brother and sister left. If you don’t have an edict of “don’t put white people in the movie” then the Water tribe can be European/Caucasian. So that’s how it ended up. So now we’re at one-half of the population of the movie which is not white.”

One thing I think that’s very interesting about the controversy is that Racebenders are angry because there isn’t enough Asians being cast in the show, ironically the Earth Kingdom will be primarily made up of Asian Actors, the Earth Kingdom is the LARGEST NATION in the Avatar World., Toph one of the Main Characters on the same level as Aang, Sokka, Zuko, and Katara is going to be Asian. So for main characters different Ethnicities being represented are Asian, Indian, Caucasian, Phillipino, African, etc.. Sound culturally diverse? That’s because it is. Sound Racist? didn’t think so and that’s because The Last Airbender is probably the farthest movie from being racist that I’ve ever seen. Night sums it up by saying:

The Last Airbender Racism

The Last Airbenders' main characters will be represented by a mix of various Ethnicities including: Asian, Indian, Philipino, Caucasion,.. and more, Does that sound Racist? ... It doesn't even sound racist because it isn't racist.

“I had complete say in casting. So if you need to point the racist finger, point it at me, and if it doesn’t stick, then be quiet.”
M Night Shyamalan – Quoted from Various Sources (See Below)

Personally I can’t see how The Last Airbender can be construed as Racist in any shape or form, and I applaud M. Night for appreciating a show about Tolerance, Respect, and a healthy appetite for diversity; and turning into a mainstream live action movie.”  I hope to see my readers in Theaters!

Feel free to share your thoughts on the subject.

References and Additional Reading:

Digital Spy – Shyamalan Denies Racism
Cinema Blend – The Last Airbender is not Racist
Cinematical – Shyamalan on Racism Controversy

Hey everyone, I'm the Administrator / Programmer of the site. I love anything that's awesome, and am looking for new hobbies. Let me know if you have any ideas :)

Brand New Behind The Scenes The Last Airbender
Holy Wow! First Picture and More Details on Avatar The Legend of Korra, The new Avatar Series
Breakthrough Designs Avatar The Last Airbender Wallpapers (Subpage) Short
Avatar The Legend of Korra Artists to be at San Diego Comic Con

1. Michael M. Said: Comment by Michael M. on June 29, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

I’m really glad M. Night finally spoke up a bit more aggressively. I’m really tired of hearing from those racebending lunatics!

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yeah, Agreed

Jade Reply:

Agreed! And thank you, OP, for this article! Definitely sharing. 😉

2. eanrey Said: Comment by eanrey on June 29, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

thank GOD it is all clarified now!

im not involved in any side..
    i just wanna hear their word..
    and
    finally,
    i heard shyamalan’s!

the problem is, its easy to criticise than to appreciate..and we always intend to judge before seeing things thru..

3. Red Said: Comment by Red on June 29, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

How does his claim that the people of the Earth Kingdom will be largely Asian take away the fact that, the central characters, the heroes of the story, are Caucaisan? How does that make this better? How do you reconcile the fact that Sokka and Katara, who were Inuit, are now Caucasian, yet from what the trailers show, everyone else in their tribe (in the background, no less) is very much Inuit?

Why aren’t Asian/Inuit actors the central focus in a pan-Asian world? The ‘saviors’ are White and the oppressed are POC and the ‘White Saviors’ are fighting against an oppressive nation made up of POC?

The people over at racebending.com have spoken to casting agents, producers, directors and a whole host of people who work in the industry who tell us, repeatedly, that racial discrimination takes place on a daily basis. Yet people are willing to believe Paramount and M. Night’s claims that no racial was intended. Doesn’t matter if was intended, the fact is, it happened.

No one is calling M. Night racist. We’re calling him a cog in the Hollywood machine, who operate under the belief that ‘White people=profit’. The guy has not had a hit film since who knows when. Why should he be trusted with this, especially since Mike and Bryan HAD NO SAY on how the film was made?

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Sorry I’m going to have to clear up some things you may not have heard about that.

– Mike and Bryan had alot of input into the movie, and they themselves are very excited for it (Read the Art of the Animated Series book if you don’t believe me: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1595825045?ie=UTF8&tag=thebestfreega-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1595825045)
    – If I were to name the “Saviors” in the movie it would be Zuko, Toph, Aang, Sokka, Katara, Iroh, Earth Nation Soldiers, and others Every single one of those people / groups played a role in saving the day. Which is a central focus of the cartoon and movie.
    – The fact is people are calling the Casting Racist, when that couldn’t be further from the truth.

4. Ophy Said: Comment by Ophy on June 30, 2010 at 9:14 am | Permalink

I am pleased to hear Night become more aggressively, plainly vocal about this issue. I do understand the concerns of those who look at the Water tribes and wonder at their color. The cartoon is a very diverse world of people and the greatest triumph of the series is the realization that “we’re all in it together”. In the cartoon, in the end, they realized they weren’t so much fighting a nation (race) as they were fighting one man. One family who wanted too much power. That is why I was okay with the lighter skin on the Water tribe people. There wasn’t a thought about it until I noticed people online talking about it. It just clicked in my mind. No one complains about the Fire nation switching from a more Japanese/Chinese/Korean Asian society to an Indian Asian society. Why? Because the nation as a whole has been shown to be homogeneous. That’s really all we needed.

Air Nomads as actual world-traveling nomads who pick up numerous ethnic groups that mix in? That’s pretty cool. Makes ’em kind of the gypsies of the Avatar world. Probably some of those people were trying to flee from whatever nation had control at the time.

I think the main thing people need to think about is… we haven’t seen the movie yet. We have no idea what the vast majority of these people look like or how homogeneous the nations really are. Except Fire. We’ve seen lots of them. Give it a day. Maybe people’s minds will change when they see that so many of the people in the world are not white and that after we leave the Water tribe (and Air Nomads, how often do we see them?) in this first movie, we will be inundated with evidence that this is not a white populated world any more or less than the real one we all live in.

5. Airbender Fan Said: Comment by Airbender Fan on June 30, 2010 at 9:58 am | Permalink

I admit Sokka and Katara (not Karata) are not as dark as they ought to be. and Zuko isn’t as white as he is was in the series. but that is not stopping me from seeing the movie and it shouldn’t stop you. all this talk of Sokka and Katara being the central heroes and therefore making it racist to not make them inuit I think is a little unnecessary. After all there are many well known characters in film who were not the central heroes. Take yoda for instance. there is not a single star wars fan out there who thinks yoda is just supporting cast, or that he is unimportant because he isn’t the central hero. Just enjoy the movie. 🙂

6. Shawn45 Said: Comment by Shawn45 on June 30, 2010 at 11:04 am | Permalink

I have mixed feelings about this. In truth, I think he really should have switched around the races. The Fire Nation should have been caucasian in my opinion, and the Water Tribe should have been Inuit (Or Indian rather, considering Inuit actors are probably hard to come by). The Air Nomad and Earth Kingdom casting I have no problem with to be honest.

It will be weird to see Toph as a small asian girl though, because she doesn’t look asian at all in the show.

Nemle Reply:

@Shawn45…Toph’s last name is Bei Fong. I’m pretty sure she’s of Asian decent. lol

@Article…so glad M. Night finally spoke out more about this. I’ve been defending for weeks now. I do agree that the races could’ve been switched with the Fire Nation and Water Tribe and probably would’ve avoided a lot of hassle, but they all made that call and I support them in it.

@OP…thanks!

BooBooSushi Reply:

how does toph not look asian? not only is the earth kingdom in the cartoon series based off of primarily CHINESE culture [hair, dress, food, architecture, written language, etc]. Toph, other than her eye color, looks like a typical Chinese girl from nobility.

what you said is absurd.

7. Admin / Jordash Said: Comment by Admin / Jordash on June 30, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Just so everyone knows i’m limiting this post to 1 comment per person, otherwise it will just turn into mindless banter.

Also, Swearing or Racial Slurs will be deleted immediately, Please try and keep things civil!

8. Swag Said: Comment by Swag on July 1, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

The problem isn’t Hollywood or the movie…or the ethnic background of the characters/actors. The problem is the race-minded public. Yes, I mean you. Those of you, and you know who you are, who divide everthing by race are the one’s who perpetuate this backward way of thinking. It pollutes all that you see and hear. Just look at the movie for what it is. Watch the dog gone thing before you judge. Don’t pass this poison on to the next generation.

9. Wolf Said: Comment by Wolf on July 1, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Racist? Of course he isn’t. How can you be racist if you’ve clearly not seen something. How does he still have work if he can’t make a movie based off a kids’ show right? Can’t pronounce name right…

10. ace Said: Comment by ace on July 2, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

huumm i had high hopes for the movie but it dissapointed me becasue number one the racial part didnt matter to me i just wanted the character to look like the cartoon for example zuko he suppose to look light skin (not being racial or anything) but they chose the slum dog millinare dude i think that jesse macrthy would hve been better off and the fire lord suppose to have long hair not short and curly and the other thing is tht they pronounce some names wrong that kinda annoy me and the thing tht piss me off the most is tht the fire bender needed fire to bend… what the (bleep) is tht… like serously!!! really m knight shamla u jst had to make them do tht and the fighting was lame didnt like it they should let jackie chan do the fight choreogerphy or somthing but besides that i think that the other things were okay …. but i think that james cameron should direct the next last air bender movie

11. Rikku Said: Comment by Rikku on July 3, 2010 at 9:15 am | Permalink

srry but truthfully only some people in the movie sort of looked like the cartoon and only a few fyi next movie sokka should be funny and aang was pronounced wrong and sokka too

12. miki Said: Comment by miki on July 3, 2010 at 9:56 am | Permalink

I think this movie is going to wow a lot of people and disappoint some also about the actors chosen. I for one don’t feel this movie because I think the actor playing as Aang is not the right person and it’s Night’s first time to direct a movie of such theme, BUT then again! I haven’t watched this movie yet, so the best thing to do for now is to hold any comments and grab a popcorn XD

kindofagryanddepressed Reply:

i think the movie disappointed a lot of people… and then disappointed some more.

13. Dante Said: Comment by Dante on July 3, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

All respect intended to the OP, but have you ever SEEN the movie?

Shyamalan’s defenses would make sense if he were defending the SHOW, which did feature a multicultural character list, fighting together for a common goal. There were equal amounts of ethnicity on both sides of the war, and in that it was very tolerant. It didn’t have to deal with the race issue, because it was featured so prominently.

Shyamalan, on the other hand, used caucasian actors in roles where an asian or native american would have been more suited (as that would match the show). He deliberately CHANGED the race dynamics by making the ‘evil’ (fire nation) characters into darker skinned ones, and the ‘good’ (Water/Air/Earth Nations) into white or lighter skinned characters.

His so called ‘defenses’ are paper thin backpedals if you have seen the show.

14. John R Said: Comment by John R on July 4, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

There are only so many roles for minorities, and it is disgraceful that M. Night participated in the Bleaching of characters because he falsely belived that minorities could not carry a picture. (the #1 movie was Karate Kid, which starred a black kid and an Asian, so that is bunk).

SO WHAT if the majority of background characters are diverse…the MAIN characters are all White! Yeah, I know Zuko isn’t but if it wasn’t for a scheduling conflict, ZUKO would have been White as well (originally M. Knight picked Jesse McCartney, another Caucasian, which you conveniently didn’t mention).

With the asian and inuit cultural themes, the caucasian characters look ridiculous.

I am a HUGE HUGE fan of the series and you can count me as one who won’t go.

PS..the bleaching didn’t even work…this is so far the worst reviewed movie of the year.

15. guestman Said: Comment by guestman on July 4, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

I think people just wanted to see their beloved character from the tv show. I know I did. I’m not complaining though at least he made the movie. I plan on seeing the movie this week, but I hope he doesn’t disappoint. Besides I wouldn’t have the main characters cast any other way! 😀 If you ask me Noah Ringer looks just like Aang! Though, that’s just me.

Tim Reply:

I completely agree with you. I just want to see my beloved characters from the tv show. I can associate Noah Ringer to Aang, but his character is not as playful and funny as in the tv show (:. I have a hard time associate other movie characters to the tv show characters.

I planned to see the movie, but I was afraid being disappointed. Let’s me know if you like the movie.

16. Mystic Moonstar Said: Comment by Mystic Moonstar on July 5, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Sokka and Katara are decedents of the Northern Water tribe on their gran gran’s side. The movie may not touch on this fact but anyone who is a fan of the show should know this. The two tribes are very different. Sokka and Katara do not have to be as “native” as their other members of their tribe. I admit that I was a little dissapointed when I first saw them in comparison to their tribe, but when they reached the Northern Tribe it made a little more sense.

The casting, race wise, was definitely not the worst part of the movie. So if people are going to complain about anything complain about the pronunciation of the names ex. Iroh is pronounced EE-row etc. OR how there was no character development. The movie could have been so much better if they could have spent more time on the movie rather than fighting racist accusations.

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yeah agreed, the movie had it’s problems for sure, but Racism was definitely the smallest concern.

17. Sylvia Said: Comment by Sylvia on July 5, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

I don’t really care that there are different races representing different benders. I’m just here to state that the movie sucked. The story was extremely rushed, which is understandable since they are compressing an entire season. The acting was bad since they didn’t really get the persona of the characters right. The thing that bugged me the most was probably the way they said all the characters’ names. ARGGGHHH the movie killed an avid fan’s dream for a GOOD real life avatar movie.

18. Doc Said: Comment by Doc on July 8, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Guys in the anime there is only one black so you can’t acuse racism. and the names aren,t pronounced wrong. they are pronounced in the chinese language. we’re the ones that pronounce it wrong

Red Reply:

One, the show is NOT anime; it’s anime inspired and was stylistic in that regard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKTvFhRbBt8

Doesn’t matter; you DO NOT CHANGE an established characters name. Even if you think it’s ‘correct’. He goes on about how anime is ‘ambiguous’ but INSISTS on giving their names ‘correct Asian pronunciation’?

Neptuny Reply:

Wrong. The names *were* pronounced wrong. The show is the highest authority when it comes to name pronunciation . . . NOT real life, or the Chinese language for that matter. M. Night Shamwow had the gall to “correct” pronunciation.

19. Toraof theSouthernWaterTribe Said: Comment by Toraof theSouthernWaterTribe on July 8, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

I personally don’t mind all the diversity in races I thought that was kinda neat. I kinda like the fire nation being darker, the Earth kingdom citizens being Asian, the Water tribe members could have been a little dark but I still don’t mind them, I was okay with all the Air Nomads but Monk Gyatso. I’m not racist, but I still don’t like a black guy in the Last Airbender. In the series Aang looked white, there were Asians and Inuit kind of people in the Southern Water Tribe, but no blacks. The Fire Nation citizens were dark skinned but they were still Asian. A black person just did not seem to belong to me.

20. Jllee Said: Comment by Jllee on July 9, 2010 at 12:46 am | Permalink

For all of the people that just don’t get the racism that happened when casting this movie, please read this article:

I work in the entertainment industry, and as an Asian-American actor, I feel strongly about this issue.

This article on this page is a bit silly. Why are you defending M. Night? His choices are justified, yes, but did you not see the original casting call? I sure did, and it did not say “All ethnicities encouraged to submit”. It said “Caucasian or any other ethnicity”.

When an agent receives a casting notice like this, they will most likely pool their popular Caucasian talents because that is specifically mentioned. To believe that Paramount and M. Night didn’t intentionally do this is somewhat silly. The casting of Dev Patel was an after thought after hearing an outcry by many with the white washed casting. If Jesse McCartney didn’t end up having a conflict, all the leads would have been white. Please keep that in mind the next time you say this movie is diverse.

Casting lead roles as all Caucasians and then having the background actors be minorities is not diversity. That’s teaching kids of minorities that they themselves wont ever be portrayed as heroes but as someone standing on the side lines.

Unless you are a minority that has faced racism their entire life, I think it’s rather hard for anyone to claim that people are being “lunatics” or “crazy” when complaining about the casting of this movie.

21. Alex Said: Comment by Alex on July 11, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Yeah we just made majority of the central characters white, and added one token minority to not seem obvious. But we’re not racist guys! the rest of the unimportant actors are mostly Asians!

I dont think Shyamalan is racist, I just think he’s an opportunist. He knows a movie will make more money if its a white cast, so he went for it. Plain and simple. No amount of “aggressive” damage control will hide that fact. It would be like a Japanese remake of lord of the rings where all main actors are casted Asian (even though middle earth is in Europe) and then for that director to say “well the non-principal actors are not japanese”.

Oh, and the movie sucked major ass, on leagues with Dragonball Evolution. So Shyamalan loses either way.

22. Savvy Said: Comment by Savvy on July 11, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Exactly! You go Night! And 2 the racebenders, really? But I’m white and I want to play Toph, is there a chance he will cast a white girl as Toph?

Alex Reply:

lol of course the white people wouldn’t find anything wrong with shyamalan’s racebending. its okay as long as its in your favor right

Mystic Moonstar Reply:

Now I find your comment to be racist Alex. I am white and I have a problem with the original casting call because it was white washed. They fixed the cast because of the outcry. In the end I found that there was a good mix of people. I am sorry if you think that is wrong but you have no right to say that white people would have no problem with the cast being white. I am a huge fan of the series and would have liked the movie to be as accurate as possible. Obviously that did not happen as there were many discrepancies, but there were things in the movie that were way worse than the casting.

kindofagryanddepressed Reply:

you probably have a higher chance than any asian, as long as you look like you’d attract publicity, good or bad. I wouldn’t be surprised.

23. Driz Said: Comment by Driz on July 11, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

It’s spelled “Filipino,” not “Philipino.”

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Wow, you are right: http://www.arkhilario.com/2009/08/01/philipino-phillipino-philippino/

Wierd… never would’ve guessed that.

24. kindofagryanddepressed Said: Comment by kindofagryanddepressed on July 13, 2010 at 2:20 am | Permalink

i’m just saying, i don’t care all too much about the whole race dispute, because that’s already a very fiery and heated discussion. My issue is the bad directing all together. even if the characters were casted “properly” according to race, i still don’t think it would be a good movie because the direction of Knight is so… horrible. I’m not going to say i could direct better or that Knight is racist. I’m just saying that despite the issues, despite all the anger and frustration and debates, the movie was still very LOW QUALITY.

another point i’d like to make is how could you say that Zuko is the savior of the series? how could you say that all of the “good guys” are the saviors of the series? Yes, they played their part in restoring balance to their world, but last time I checked, the series was called Avatar: THE LAST AIRBENDER, not Avatar: EVERYONE or Avatar: GOOD GUYS. Even the movie is The Last Airbender, not Prince Of The Fire Nation. Just goes to show that the director wasn’t really that dedicated a fan of a series, and therefore wasn’t able to create a movie that pleased fans who ARE dedicated to the series, or a generally enjoyable film altogether.

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yeah I agree I don’t think The Last Airbender was bad on the basis of Race, just simply poor storyboarding, poor writing and directing.

Avatar The Last Airbender had sooo many sub-plots in addition to Aang, so much so that IMHO I don’t even look at Aang as the main character, to me Zuko is more the main character, but that’s just personal opinion and that’s why I say that every main character is a hero in the show.

There are episodes where Aang and the gang aren’t even shown the entire episode, that’s one of the reasons Avatar The Last Airbender is such a good show, it places such an emphasis on the contribution of different individuals to achieve a greater good.

25. Savvy Said: Comment by Savvy on July 13, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Hey everybody! I’m so HAPPY someone finally posted M Night’s opinion on this! Anyway, I have a video on youtube about my views on Racebending. My username is TheLastAwesomebender the video is titled: My Big Bad Momma Jamma! I Speak to Racebenders, check it out! And subscribe, comment, rate!

26. girl Said: Comment by girl on July 15, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

I’m not a racebender, but I don’t think that the actors that he chose look like the characters, and I don’t think it works. If anything, it isolates the original fans, and that’s one of the stupidest things that you can do. From what I’ve read, the movie fails epically. I don’t see why he couldn’t hire actors that looked more like the cartoon characters. Obviously, it would take more effort to find more asian actors, but that’s his job. He’s being paid to be creative. People aren’t obligated to watch mediocre work, not matter how well Shyamalan tries to justify it.

27. shoudacouda Said: Comment by shoudacouda on July 15, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

It’s a movie. Shutup and don’t you get your panties in a wad.
    Hasta Luego!

28. noone Said: Comment by noone on July 15, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

This is why I hate it when movie directors pick up a cartoon and make it live action. There is ALWAYS issues about it (ie: race, how they look, personalities, etc). It really disappoints me that Bryan and Mike let Shyamalamama (…) make a movie out of their amazing cartoon series. I’m sure if they waited a few years some other way better director would have picked it up and made it. I mean really, what were they thinking? Shyamalan hasn’t made a good movie since the Sixth Sense. He’s a one hit wonder. He made his one good movie, had his 15 minutes, now he can stop making all these horrible movies.

I know my post isn’t really on topic about the race accusations, but this ALWAYS happens when a comic/cartoon/book gets turned into a movie.

29. Swakner Said: Comment by Swakner on July 16, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

I watched the movie with my family and me and my brothers found it an insult to the show while my dad who has never seen the show actually likes it. this just shows that he was able to appeal to most people but he is completly destroying the hopes and dreams of the fans. there are so many easy ways to fix it too, all he really needed was to make the pronounciation correct aswell as add more bending. none of the characters bend as much as they would normally, heck zuko bends fire just for the hell of it when hes even sligtly pissed. and iroh needs to be more happy and fat and jolly not so serious

30. M.Night Uses Reverse Psychology Said: Comment by M.Night Uses Reverse Psychology on July 17, 2010 at 9:57 am | Permalink

The actual genders and races of what the elements represent are in Rodney St.Michael’s book, Sync My World: Thief’s Honor GA SK. (myconnected.webs.com)

Air = Yellow “race” = Males = Scholars.

Water = Small Browns = Females = Shamans.

Earth = Blacks = Lesbian = Social Ubuntu Business Class.

Fire = Whites = Gays = Military, Militant Business Class.

Ether or Metal = Big Browns = Bisexuals = Working Class, Bi-military
    (females & bis go together like Katara & Sokka or brown females and males).

Therefore Aang should be Chinese.

Katara should be a Malay like a Filipina.

The Earth Kingdom should be African.

Zuko should be White like Hitler, Alexander the Gay or Gen. Arthur McArthur.

The Fire Nation’s army should be like the fiery Sacred Band of Thebes (an ancient elite gay army that Don’t-Ask-Don’t-Tell troops would be envious of) or the Sturmabteilung, the much-feared homosexual stormtroopers of Hitler.

And the Slumdog Millionaire (casted as Zuko) should be Sokka.

This film is just as messed up as the movie Angels and Demons. The branding of the priests were incorrect.

But anyway, from the guy who gave you the Sixth Sense, which did not portray childhood schizophrenia accurately or anywhere near the real world, what do you expect?

Bisexuals love horror and terror. They also scam people, just like the Wizard of Oz. The old Oz film which is also about the Elements is understandably all-white because they were ignorant back then. People have higher standards now, and realism is a must.

But M.Night, the Wizard of South Asia also has lessons for everyone after conning them:

1) Clearly, when people don’t play roles that fit them, everything is messed up. (e.g. “male” clergy in what should be a female realm, forbidding gays in the military which is their territory)

2) Whites are not fit to play the leading roles of Air and Water in the world scene. Leave that to the ASEAN+3 (China, Japan, Korea and South East Asia).

3) Arabs are not necessarily the greatest evil in the world. Occasionally, they float like Ether to the ranks of Water. It is fiery whites that fit the role of Lucifer or Satan.

4) By acquiring objective reviews from leading critics, they have agreed themselves that these are all factual objective realities.

Thus, the Wizard, even if he is a con man, is also an accidental pseudo teacher. Partly, it’s called sunyata or “emptiness.”

Pat Reply:

Anyway, I really didn’t care what race the cahracters were, I just wanted their physical appearance and also their personalities to actually be similar. Sokka, in the movie, is a serious, bland, uninteresting character. In the cartoon, he’s a funny, sarcastic, goofball.

Aang, not Oong, like pronounced in the movie, should’ve been more fun-filled and bright.

Where’s Katara’s hair…..loop……thingies?

Zuko was the most similar to his cartoon part in my opinion.

Iroh wasn’t short, fat, and jolly. The first half of the movie I didn’t even believe that was Iroh.

Some of the aspects of the story being changed really kept me from enjoying the movie. Firebenders can’t bend without fire already being there?

There never was a fight in the earthbending village! It happened on the fire nation coal ship! At least in the cartoon it made sense why the eartbenders weren’t fighting. They didn’t have earth! In the movie they were surrounded by earth and did nothing! Furthermore, one scene, I spoted 6+ earthbenders doing earthbending choreographed together only to throw a single rock.

I think there were plenty of scenes from the cartoon that would have been better suited to the movie. Kyoshi Island was never visited in the movie. Aang never visited Boomy in the movie. The duel with Boomy would’ve been epic to see with real people but us Avatars fans will never know how that would’ve looked.

My rant is finished. I hope this movie is forgotten and we can just get on with our Avatar lives, waiting for another series/season.

Spottedpelt Reply:

agreed 😮

Spottedpelt Reply:

no wait i dont >:O

Phillip Reply:

The reasoning (or lack thereof) behind your entire post “M. Night Uses Reverse Psychology” is probably the most ridiculously offensive thing I’ve read on this entire forum post and I’m not seeing how it has anything at all to do with the movie or the show. “Bisexuals love horror and terror”? REALLY?

And yeah, people do “have higher standards now”: one of which isn’t being a blatant racist to multiple groups of people with one post.

31. Spottedpelt Said: Comment by Spottedpelt on July 19, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

i wouldn’t call it racebending, i would just say he should’ve used the race used in the show.