Korra Republic City Hustle Web series Episode 1

Hustle

This is very interesting, it seems we are going to get some Korra shorts set in time periods we have not seen yet.

Nick.con have just premiered a new web series called The Legend Of Korra Republic City Hustle online. EDIT/ Korra Nation have confirmed it is a 3 part series.

Hustle

You can see episode 1 here. It is on Nick.com so anyone outside of USA should use a program like Tunnelbear to access it.

I just watched it and I am very impressed, it is nicely animated in a different style showing us life for Bolin and Mako on the streets of Republic City a few years ago. It is nicely voice acted too and seems like the perfect way to hype up Book 2.

This is the perfect way to visually fill us in on their backstory. In this episode we see the scamming that they have to do to survive, then their first meetings with Toza who is revealed to be a former Captain of The BoarQPines team. He takes a bribe to purposely lose the match, Bolin is upset at this while Mako just accepts it as a harsh reality.

Episode 2 by the looks of the preview image seems to hint at how Bolin found Pabu, which we know from the Art Book was him saving Pabu from a nasty pet store.

I am impressed so far, what about you?

1. Avatar of HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader)
    HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader) Said: Comment by HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader) on August 9, 2013 at 10:25 am | Permalink

I will start watching this series in a bit.

2. Avatar of Airspeed Prime
    Airspeed Prime Said: Comment by Airspeed Prime on August 9, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

This wired article seems to hint that 2 other series are coming, it is not that clear, but it seems to suggest that we will get 3 3 part shorts. Though it could just be the confusing article just confirming that Hustle is 3 parts.

3. Avatar of Trey
    Trey Said: Comment by Trey on August 9, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

I don’t know about anyone else, but the dialog sounds like it’s all exposition to me. It looks and sounds great otherwise.

It is 3 minutes so of course a lot is going to be exposition, flows well enough for me. Plus exposition means info and in backstories that is fairly important.

4. Avatar of Avatar Yangchen
    Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on August 9, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

i really liked this webisode thingy. i cant wait until the next one comes out :)

5. Milo Said: Comment by Milo on August 9, 2013 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

TunnelBear isn’t the only option for viewing Nick content outside the states. I found a cool Firefox/Chrome extension called Media Hint that works with their streaming video, and doesn’t require an account like TunnelBear does. I really recommend it:

Doesn’t work as well as Tunnelbear for me.

That worked when the embeded video was there on a site I can usually access, in this case Tumblr. But it does not let me access Nick.com as the issue in the first place is that I am always redirected to Nick.co.uk, Tunnelbear gives me access to the full site.
    Mediahint is nice, but only works in certain situations.

6. Avatar of Azulan
    Azulan Said: Comment by Azulan on August 9, 2013 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Oh fun! I can’t believe I’m saying this, but thank you nickelodeon!

7. Avatar of Greg2Bender
    Greg2Bender Said: Comment by Greg2Bender on August 9, 2013 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

I think it’s pretty cool that we get some back stories. I think it’s a good medium to give the fans who are actually want these stories told a way to watch them and hype the next season up.

The style does remind me of something that would play on nick jr. but with bit more detail. However it works for me in this short format. It’s also fully animated which even the web videos during ATLA where not from what I remember.

8. Troy Said: Comment by Troy on August 10, 2013 at 7:30 am | Permalink

I haven’t seen many people talk about this and Mako hate. This gives good reason to dislike him and Bolin alike. I personally think this shows that they have risen above what they used to be. I like that. What I dislike is is how it was meant to be funny to some degree and I didn’t laugh. This is Troy logged out.

I think that is the point, that the two have to make some sort of enjoyment for themselves, as much as they hate to steal, they need to to survive and they try and have some fun doing so to get any enjoyment out of life.

9. Sogno Said: Comment by Sogno on August 10, 2013 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

I liked it! I know a lot of people wanted to see some backstory of Bolin and Mako so this is kinda like answering the fandom call a lot quicker than Nick/Bryke usually answers lol.

It had enough humor with the seriousness, and I appreciate the different art style.

10. Avatar of BOLIN(combustion specialist).
    BOLIN(combustion specialist). Said: Comment by BOLIN(combustion specialist). on March 10, 2014 at 11:59 am | Permalink

never watched it, though i think its great