Korra Book 1 Air DVD and Blu Ray release date + box art (Update – Now out July 9th)

Korra

Update/ According to IGN again, the release date has been brought forward by a week so the sets will now be out July 9th 2013.

While not what we were most looking for (Book 2 info) this is something that we have been waiting for since December. The release date of the Korra Book 1 Air DVD and Blu Ray.

This info comes from IGN.com

-Blu Ray is confirmed, so there will be a DVD and a Blu Ray of Book 1

-Release Date for both is July 16th 2013

-Here is the cover art

Korra

DVD cover, the blu ray just has the typical blu ray logo on the top.

-Now onto the special features, the new content on these releases. Unfortunately it is not all good news.

The Blu Ray will have episode commentaries on all 12 episodes featuring cast and crew,  Series creators’ Favorite Scenes: Eight Animatics and and original short, The Legend of Puppetbender Present “The Making of a Legend: The Untold Story”.

The DVD will NOT have the animatics and will only have some select episode commentaries, but will include the Puppetbender short.

So overall this is good news, but not for those who do not have Blu Ray players. I absolutely hate it when they do this with home releases, adding exclusive content on the blu ray. I am pretty sure I am going to cancel my dvd preorder.

Thoughts ?

1. Avatar of Rabadoo
    Rabadoo Said: Comment by Rabadoo on April 9, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

This is disappointing on so many levels. The box art is meh at best, especially compared to that of the ATLA dvds, and I’m really miffed about the bluray exclusives, seeing as I never bothered wasting money on something as idiotically pointless as a bluray player.

Meelo Reply:

I agree… The ATLA artwork is amazing for the dvd!! I guess anyone who doesn’t have a blu ray can come sponge of me (if they like near me ahhaa) or their blu ray owner friends?? I would!!

2. Avatar of Airspeed Prime
    Airspeed Prime Said: Comment by Airspeed Prime on April 9, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

So annoyed by the extras being different on the dvd.

3. stefbef Said: Comment by stefbef on April 9, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Meh,i stopped buying dvd’s a long time ago :p

Callum Fryars Reply:

Same.

~ღєιяιиι-¢нαиღ~ Reply:

me 2

anime10121 Reply:

Exactly :)

If you have an HDTV, there’s no excuse NOT to have a Blu Ray player nowadays, as they’re dirt cheap, and native HD programming looks VASTLY superior on Blu Ray. Animation looks a heckuva lot better on Blu Ray too :)

4. Avatar of Avatar Yangchen
    Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on April 9, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

darn, they had commentaries on all the episodes, but sadly i do not have blu-ray :( …but at least we know when it comes out :)

also the cover looks reall cool, except fo the fact that asami looks evil like she has got her murder face on :P

Avatar Yangchen Reply:

@airspeed when does part 2 of the search come out?

July 10th, and the Book 1 Art book is out July 24th.
    A lot of Korra stuff in july.

Avatar Yangchen Reply:

thanks :) i keep forgetting for some reason…i should probably write it down somewhere

wow, that is quite a bit of stuff, and its in the middle of summer vacation :)

Meelo Reply:

I agree with the face on Asami, but I think its good because for the people who have not seen LOK and are picking it up for the first time, it will add to the ‘villiany’ ora about her. Most of us thought she was a bad guy including me for a while….

5. Avatar of AvatarOlivia
    AvatarOlivia Said: Comment by AvatarOlivia on April 9, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait!

6. Avatar of Kelly
    Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on April 9, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

I feel kinda bad saying this but Im a blu ray fanatic and dont really mind this
    also I like the art, Its different and vibrant yet similar enough to the show to recognize :)

7. Avatar of Callum Fryars
    Callum Fryars Said: Comment by Callum Fryars on April 9, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Yes please!

8. PlatypusManiac Said: Comment by PlatypusManiac on April 9, 2013 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

OH NO!!! I’ve been sooooooo excited for the dvds and especially the commentary, but I don’t have blueray :( Do you know if they are going to come out with updated dvds later or something??

YangChen Reply:

Me too :(

9. Avatar of Troy
    Troy Said: Comment by Troy on April 9, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

At the bottom where it says Book One Air to the left is earth and fire and to the right fire and air. Wheres water???

vman95 Reply:

very interesting; i wonder if it is a mistake?

10. Avatar of Eska
    Eska Said: Comment by Eska on April 9, 2013 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Does anyone else think that it looks like Asami is about to cry…

11. Avatar of ~ღєιяιиι-¢нαиღ~
    ~ღєιяιиι-¢нαиღ~ Said: Comment by ~ღєιяιиι-¢нαиღ~ on April 10, 2013 at 4:39 am | Permalink

@tylee nah, she doesnt look about to cry, she seems kinda creepy…

It is the same face she has when she is fighting in K110.

12. Avatar of HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader)
    HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader) Said: Comment by HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader) on April 10, 2013 at 6:36 am | Permalink

Can’t wait till I get a copy of this myself :)

13. Avatar of Shiney
    Shiney Said: Comment by Shiney on April 10, 2013 at 8:05 am | Permalink

This looks really exciting. I’m definitely going to get the Blu-Ray edition, both for commentaries and the higher definition. It’s a little annoying that the DVD’s are lacking material, if you only want the DVD-version, but not nearly as annoying as the lack of extra material in the EU ATLA DVD’s to me, anyway.

I am wondering this too, how will the UK sets do things.

If the UK blu ray is the same as the American one I will probably finally make the upgrade to Blu Ray.

14. Torxe Said: Comment by Torxe on April 10, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

The reason why they don’t include all extras on DVD is most likely due to the lack of space on the disk, blu-ray can hold much more data then DVD after all.

They could easily do what most dvd sets do, add an extra dvd into the set.

Plus I don’t think some extra audio tracks are going to take up an insane amount of space.
    I could understand there not being enough space for the 8 animatics feature, but to only include a few commentary tracks due to space, I do not buy at all.

15. Avatar of Troy
    Troy Said: Comment by Troy on April 10, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

It looks hard plastic based on the edges. I have cardboard box sets for ATLA and would like hard-plastic where the edges don’t crumple to put Korra dvds in.

That is the biggest negative about the ATLA sets, the cardboard edges get pretty wrecked no matter what you do. I had some bad QC too as barely any of the disks across the 3 sets stay in as the things that keep the dvd in were broken when I opened the sets.

16. Avatar of Callum Fryars
    Callum Fryars Said: Comment by Callum Fryars on April 11, 2013 at 8:07 am | Permalink

Blu Rays are much more expensive that DVDs so it makes sense the Blu Rays (in general) have more content than DVDs. And I always buy Blu Rays. I mean, why not? Blu Ray players are not that expensive.

They may not be that expensive, but people who do not have blu ray players are now in a position of either missing out on more than half of the extra content that most people buy the sets for, that or having to buy a Blu Ray player and possibly a HDTV also just so they can get the full extra content.
    DVD’s are not yet being phased out live VHS’s were years ago. So making the two sets different seems to be just to force people to go for the more expensive set, a set that is not more expensive because it has more extras, but because Blu Rays are just more expensive.

I know I am in a more unique position, but obviously both sets are region locked. With the DVD I can play it on my laptop because I can just switch the region, but even if I went for the blu ray and got a blu ray player I couldn’t watch it. So I pretty much have to wait and hope that the UK Blu Ray set has the same content as the USA set (Which as ATLA shows is not likely to happen). I will happily buy a Blu Ray player and get the UK set if it has the same content, but it will be because I badly want to see that extra content and buying the player and more expensive set is the ONLY WAY TO DO SO (outside of illegally downloading it)

It is a poor move from Nick, Viacom or Paramount, whoever decided to make them different made a bad choice IMO.

Inkasrain Reply:

Apparently Korra is the first series Nick is making available on Blu-ray, so I guess they have even more of a vested interest in having that version sell well. I understand that, especially as a lot of people – myself included – would not have even considered buying the Blu-ray if the DVD offered the same features (especially since how many people – once again, myself included – already own the series on Amazon Instant, for Toph’s sake.) It is VERY frustrating, though, and I can imagine even more so for overseas fans.

17. Avatar of Callum Fryars
    Callum Fryars Said: Comment by Callum Fryars on April 11, 2013 at 10:35 am | Permalink

You keep saying Nick did this and Nick did that. Blu Rays getting extra content isnt a new concept. It happens with pretty much all Blu Rays. And if you’re paying more then yes you should get more content. And with the whole VHS and DVD thing. Blu Rays are the new DVDs so I think extra content is a good way to get people to switch over to them quicker.

In this case it was the choice of someone at Nick, Viacom or Paramount to put less content on the DVD’s. Sure sometimes Blu Ray’s have extra content, but not all the time.
    The reason Blu-Ray’s cost more is because they are more expensive to produce, more places make DVD’s than Blu-Rays and thus Blu Rays are more expensive. Blu-Ray prices have already gone down by a lot since they first came out, it was close to double the dvd price and now it is maybe 25 for a blu ray and 20 for the dvd, simple example, but the point is that they have come way down in price as the demand has risen.
    You never pay for the extras, extras are called extras for a reason, an added incentive to buy the home version of something you may have seen already. The only time they ever charge for extras is if they release separate editions with and without extras. In this case (Korra) both come with extras, one just happens to come with less for some reason.

I have no doubt that it is an attempt to get people to switch to Blu Rays, there is no other reason to split the two sets. The problem is that dvd’s are still the more popular format, and as much as Blu Ray is growing not everyone yet has a blu ray player or a hdtv. I don’t think Blu Ray is the new dvd, I don’t think DVD will be completely phased out like VHS was, the jump in quality from dvd to blu ray is just not as big or important as the jump from VHS to DVD was. HD quality is awesome, but dvd quality is fine and solid. My big problem is that there is no way for people without a Blu Ray player to get that extra content, I would happily pay a bit more for a fully featured DVD, but the decision to flat out make what I assume is over 6 episode commentaries and 8 animatic features exclusive to one format is confusing to me.

As I said I am worried I will never be able to see all of these features in a legal way, depending on the uk sets having all of the content. Which is why this announcement has me so concerned. I have no problem with blu ray, as I said I will probably switch soon myself, I just HATE (and you know it takes a lot to make me hate things) exclusive content that requires you to have certain format.

Callum Fryars Reply:

Morgan you have just done something truly amazing. You have changed my mind haha.

Kelly Reply:

… I can say from experience that this has yet to happen. Congratulation Morgan, and you also changed my mind :)

18. Avatar of Hyriu 85
    Hyriu 85 Said: Comment by Hyriu 85 on April 14, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

I love the art on the cover and it comes out the day after my birthday so I will have plenty of birthday money to buy it :D but i do not have a blue ray player :( oh well I am used to it and at least people with just DVD players get some stuff :)

19. Avatar of Leaping Lemur13
    Leaping Lemur13 Said: Comment by Leaping Lemur13 on April 14, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

I also hate it when they do BluRay only features. This bugged me espicially when the Harry Potter DVDs were coming out. Oh well. Maybe someone on YouTube will upload them.

20. Avatar of The Kappa Spirit
    The Kappa Spirit Said: Comment by The Kappa Spirit on April 29, 2013 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Im a bit sad that I NEED to buy a blu ray to see the extra stuff added. I feel BOTH DVD and Blu ray should have it….