Wall Street Interviews Mike and Bryan about New Avatar Series and new HD Photo for Legend of Korra

Avatar The Legend of Korra HD Photo

There has been a new HD photo of the previous Avatar The Legend of Korra photo released, Click on the image to see the full Resolution version:

Avatar The Legend of Korra HD Photo

Avatar The Legend of Korra sneak peak, Click to see full HD

The Wall Street Journal just had the opportunity to interview Mike and Bryan (original Creators of Avatar The Last Airbender) the interview is very enlightening! Recommended read.

Mike Dimartino and Bryan Kontietzko

The Wall Street Journal Just interviewed Mike and Bryan about the new Avatar Series

Here is a couple of things I picked up:

• Avatar The Legend of Korra will be a bit more “mature” while still maintaining it’s sense of comedy, fun, and adventure that everyone loves.
  • An explanation for Aangs shorter life-span (70 years)
  • Alot of other cool info!

The Wall Street Journal: How did you come up with the idea for the spinoff?

Bryan Konietzko: When Mike and I first created -Avatar: The Last Airbender” we always knew it would have an ending to it, that particular story. But as the show really took off, and found an audience all over the world, we knew that despite our intentions of ending that story there would probably be a time when Nickelodeon would come calling and want some more episodes.When that time came we had this idea for jumping ahead and telling a story about the next Avatar, this girl Korra.

If there’s a new Avatar, that means Aang has passed on. If he died around age 70, isn’t that pretty young for an Avatar?

Konietzko: You gotta keep in mind that he was frozen in a state of suspended animation for 100 years, so he kind of burned up some of his extra Avatar time.

The new -Avatar” is a woman. What inspired you to change the sex of the protagonist of the series?

Michael DiMartino: It’s not so much about changing because we had Avatar Kyoshi before Aang. We’d established that the Avatar can be male or female and we just thought let’s explore one of those more in depth, because Kyoshi was a popular character with a lot of fans and it seemed like a great opportunity to not retread what we’d done with Aang, who was a great hero, we all loved him, but we really wanted to try something different. And we have so many great female fans out there, who really responded to Katara in the first series, we thought we have the fan base who are really going to enjoy seeing the Avatar be a female.

Konietzko: Mike and I, we love those characters too, and we’ve encountered countless fans who are male who really like those characters too. We just don’t subscribe to the conventional wisdom that you can’t have an action series led by a female character. It’s kinda nonsense to us.

The one image that you released is Korra looking out on Republic City, where a lot of the new show take place. Tell me about that city.

Konietzko: That’s kind of a piece of concept art so when the show premieres next year it won’t look exactly like that but that’s the direction we’re headed. The first series was sort of a road show where every episode they were going to some new location. That was another new thing we wanted to do is root it in one big complex location but mainly one place. We were drawing inspiration from Shanghai in the 1920s and 30s and Hong Kong and even Western cities like Manhattan and even location-wise cities like Vancouver, a city that juts out on a peninsula or an island and has these big mountains around it.

Will we see characters from the previous series pop up?

DiMartino: I don’t want to give anything away, but rest assured there’s a definite link between the old series and this one.

Republic City is a city plagued by crime. There’s an anti-bender revolt. Does this new series deal with more mature themes?

Konietzko: Mike and I like a balance of tones. We never set out to make an overtly silly show or an overly serious dramatic show. We like dealing with all those things. It’s fair to say we’re dealing with some sophisticated things and the show is growing up a bit. But that said, we’re not in a calculated way trying to target another demographic. Even in the first series, it was about a world war and some pretty serious issues.

If Tenzin is Aang’s son, who is his mother?

DiMartino: [To Konietzko] We can say that, right? [To Speakeasy] It’s Katara. It’s not a huge surprise.

What did you guys think of the live-action version of -The Last Airbender”?

Konietzko: We’re just really focused on this new show right now, and kind of taking this off in its own direction and not concerning ourselves with that right now.

So you didn’t follow the casting controversy about the movie version of -The Last Airbender”?

Konietzko: We didn’t head up that film. We’re just happy to be back generating the original content in this mythology, which is what we do.

Would you like to bring a cartoon version of -Avatar: The Last Airbender” to the big screen?

Konietzko: We would love to. I think Mike and I would absolutely love to do feature animation. Either another story, or it if worked out, one in the -Avatar” world. We would be really excited.

References

LastAirbenderFilm.com
Wall Street Journal interviews Mike and Bryan

Hey everyone, I'm the Administrator / Programmer of the site. I love anything that's awesome, and am looking for new hobbies. Let me know if you have any ideas :)

1. Shah Said: Comment by Shah on July 21, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

its official now

2. ophyjgjhnfn Said: Comment by ophyjgjhnfn on July 22, 2010 at 9:03 am | Permalink

I would *love* to see a feature animation for Avatar. Maybe something where the two worlds combine for that giant ‘episode’ and we see a threat that returns from Aang’s days as Avatar. Something where we get a return of the old characters as they race to fight this threat while the spirit Aang is aiding Korra in the present and telling her how he faced it. That would be amazing.

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yeah, an animated movie would be pretty freaking sweet, actually I guess the last four episodes of the previous series were almost like a movie being almost 2 hours long and all.

ophyjgjhnfn Reply:

So right! It was a great way to show off and promote the end of such a series.

3. Althea Said: Comment by Althea on July 22, 2010 at 10:01 am | Permalink

I cannot wait until this comes out!

12 year olds opinion Reply:

I’m scared it gonna be crappy so i can wait but at the same time i can’t from the questions and answers i was reading i think they where not listening to the fans at all its what they wanted don’t mean to be negitve but i feel like it was a little to early to already make another avatar they could have made 1 more book and maybe they should have switched up the idea on tenzin being katara’s son Aang and katara could have went there seperate was as they got older and grew to unlove each other maybe Katara and Zuko or some unknown people im doing my own series also so so i think i know a little bit i just feel a little disapointed already and the thing has not even come out yet.

John Reply:

I can think of a thousand things I woulda like to have seen happen with another season of Avatar. But I find that the creators of the show are some pretty good show makers. Korra is definitely already accepted into many hearts. I figure my daughter and I will be down to watch whatever gets made.

BreeAna Reply:

I agree, I wanted at least one more book with the old cast before they went off to something like this, but as John said above me Korra is in a lot of peoples hearts already, including mine. And I’ll admit, I had hopes of seeing Katara and Zuko togeher, too..

But, I am so excited for this new series. I just HOPE the old crew is in it along the way.

4. Jose Said: Comment by Jose on July 22, 2010 at 11:58 am | Permalink

You know what, i would love to ask them what was going through their minds when they made samurai momo and appa, because that was probably the most ive lol’d at an animated show

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yeah, that episode was sooooo funny. :)

BreeAna Reply:

I loved that episode.

5. Benny Said: Comment by Benny on July 22, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

I think that the new series should have something to do with zuko’s mom (ursa)

Althea Reply:

i agree. that would be cool.

K Reply:

MOST DEFINITELY!!! WE NEED TO KNOW WHERE ZUKO’S MOMMY IS!! AND IF HE EVER FINDS HER!!!!! I CANT STOP RANTING ON THIS SUBJECT!!!!

hehehe, sorry for the random spaz/wig out watev. but still. i can’t wait for ATLoK. i dont wanna wait till 2011

Trajan Reply:

It would be awesome if they made a movie linking the two series. In that they could show what happened to Zuko’s mum, Kataang getting married, and introduce Tenzin. Just basically a breather between the series to get us caught up on the time between.

6. Toraof theSouthernWaterTribe Said: Comment by Toraof theSouthernWaterTribe on July 22, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

This is soooooooo exciting!!!!! I hope they have flash backs about what happened with everyone. I hope Suki and Sokka and Zuko and Mai got married and I wonder who their kids are. And what happened to Toph? I’m gonna miss Iroh, Pokku, Jong Jong, Bumi and all the other old guys. They’ll be dead. :’( I can’t wait to see what Aang looks like when he’s older. And I wonder if Tenzin is an airbender. That would be sooooo awesome! :D Or if he’s both a water and an airbender. You never know. ^^

Althea Reply:

i also wonder what happened to toph…she was my favorite. it’s kinda sad thining about how all the the older guys will be dead. i thought uncle iroh was funny.

John Reply:

Toph grew up and married me! Okay that is completely impossible and ridiculous, but Toph is totally ideal.

Althea Reply:

totally agree. toph is and always will be my favorite character:)

Toph Fan Reply:

yea toph rocks………wanna see who she marries

mark Reply:

No!!!!! toph married me!!!! lol jk.. but she is cute though ;)

7. Shawn45 Said: Comment by Shawn45 on July 22, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Hahahaha!

What do you think of the new Avatar movie in theaters?

(Oh crap, not this again) Uh, yeah, we’d rather not think about that right now…

On a more serious note, I’m still very skeptical if this new series will be any good. These new changes could be good if pulled off right, but if they’re done wrong… especially the more mature standpoint, then it might not be very pretty.

Ben Reply:

Haha, I guess nothing will really keep you from being skeptical, at least until it comes out.

But do keep in mind, these are the same guys that gave us the original series. It’s not M. Night completely ruining it. These are the real guys, the originals. They know what they’re doing.

The only way I see this being screwed up is if they don’t get the freedom they need to make the show the way they want it. They won’t completely change their style unless some dumb coporate big-wig makes them.

Try to have faith in these guys. I know I do.

8. Ladyem Said: Comment by Ladyem on July 23, 2010 at 5:36 am | Permalink

If Bryke wasn’t doing it, I would have no hope for this.

However, I will dare to hope that it will be as awesome as the last series. I think Bryke can do it!

(Although, I want to counter whas others have said- I am REALLY GLAD it is not taking place right after the gAang’s story. Although there were cliffhangers, it had a definite ending to it. I would have ruined it if they picked it up right then. In fact, I was kind of hoping that they would skip the water and earth avatars and go straight to the fire one to put more distance from one story to the next.

Also- some speculation. Since Bryke have said over and over that Aang is THE LAST Airbender, I doubt Tenzin can airbend. I bet that Korra is going to rush to him thinking he can solve all of her problems with airbending, when in fact, he can’t really help. If anything, he has probably learned airbending stances and the art of airbending without actually being able to do it himself. )

Shawn45 Reply:

I completely disagree with your last paragraph.

Aang WAS the last airbender, but he married Katara and they obviously had children (Or I hope they had more than Tenzin, they had an entire dead race to get all Adam and Eve on), so I think there are more Airbenders now, but at this point in time they’d still be very rare.

John Reply:

It seems that non benders are born into all the nations. Non benders can still pass on the bending to their kids. Like with Katara So there is probably still potential Air benders running around even in Ang’s time.

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yeah exactly, the only reason Aang was called “The Last Airbender” was because he was the last one in that generation. Even if other people were born with the Airbending “gene” which is probably quite possible like John mentioned they wouldn’t have someone to train them in using Airbending due to the war.

I’m guessing in this generation (The Korra one) there could quite possibly be a good number of Airbenders, trained by Aang and his followers.

9. The Real WaterBender Said: Comment by The Real WaterBender on July 23, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Yay!!!!!! Avatar Legend Of Korra is REAL!!!!!! anyway here are some of my ideas that might help:

1) A hidden Airtemple Where AirNomads still live that floats on air

2) Dark Bending: The Ability to control space fabric/ Dark Matter

3) Explain how benders get their Bending Abilitys

4) What happened To Azula and FireLord

5) Koh the face stealer (he said we will meet again at the end of book 1)

6) A Dark Spirit who can bend all 4 elements

rocky Reply:

1) that would be cool but I highly, highly doubt it

2)dark bending would change the entire avaatr world, its based around four elements and four nations and where would they get something like that

3) we already know how benders got there bending ability firebenders: learned from dragons, waterbenders watched the moon and ocean, airbenders learned from the sky bison, and earthbenders learned from badger moles

4)don’t have aclue what happened to them so it would be nice to see what hapened to them

5)it would be cool to see koh again

6)that would be interesting but I don’t think there were ever any dark and good spirits they were all the same (granit they never really talked about that)

10. RAWLS Said: Comment by RAWLS on July 23, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Great article. haha, I love how they avoid controversy by answering/dodging the questions about the live craption movie. A good hint that they just really want to forget about that disaster and move forward into a more positive direction!

11. Trajan Said: Comment by Trajan on July 23, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

They should totally make a movie explaining some crucial things like Zuko’s mum and what happened between Katara and Aang. Just something to fill the gap between The Last Air Bender and the Legend of Korra. It would also be one last chance for us to let the whole gAang go. ….RIP Aang :o(

12. Mina Said: Comment by Mina on July 23, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

We havent focused on that…haha aka “we hate it, we want to forget it, dont bring it up” XD

ViOLeT Reply:

i really agree with u…i finally forgot about Avatar, because i always thought about it after watching it, maybe almost everyday.but now they bring it up to me and remind me of my thought of avatar…

13. A Fat Guy Said: Comment by A Fat Guy on July 24, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

I think the person I’m gonna miss most is Sokka… I hope they have another character like him.

John Reply:

I bet Tenzin has a heck of a sense of humor.

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yeah could be Tenzin, there has also been rumors of a guy named Meelo, but that characters not confirmed.

14. Chris Said: Comment by Chris on July 25, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

I have hope for this new series. For me, the whole “republic city” thing is kind of weird, but I’m sure Mike and Bryan will make it work. If they had the ability to craft the first avatar series into such a work of art, then I’m sure they’ll make this new one just as good. One thing though. IROH BETTER BE IN IT. I know he’ll be like 120, but they made King Bummi around that age. Oh well. And we better find out what happened to Zuko’s mom.

15. alex Said: Comment by alex on July 25, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

i hope that korra turns into aang like aang turned into kioshi in that one episode and i hope that this republic city is none of the elemental nation kinda like a city to unite all nations that whould be cool and the idea of mergeing the 2 show into one animated movie is awsome i hope that zuko is still firelord and maybe toph ishigh in the earth kingdom and maybe the suki is head teacher for the kioshi wariors

16. alex Said: Comment by alex on July 25, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

maybe skka is teching water tribe warriors

17. Avatar of Joane
    Joane Said: Comment by Joane on July 27, 2010 at 9:18 am | Permalink

WHAT!!!!! Aang dies!!!!!!! noooo!!!!! Aangs my favorite its gonna be kinda wierd having him gone! will he show up as a spirit in the movie?

John Reply:

I think Ang would be okay with being dead, and he’d say it’s a part of life.

Joane Reply:

i’m still sad

John Reply:

I’m sure he’ll have something hilarious to say to make it better. Avatars can do that even when dead. And I picture him being kinda like Iro, when he’s an old dude.

Admin / Jordash Reply:

I don’t know for sure, but I’d be pretty positive he is going to show up as a spirit.

18. Avatar of John
    John Said: Comment by John on July 27, 2010 at 11:53 am | Permalink

This all sounds pretty awesome. And it works right into a daydream I had about there being only a few benders left 300 years later or more, and the world being a lot more like the real world in the late 19th century. An Avatar in that time would be hard pressed to find mentors and balance a world where an industrial revolution and impending world war is pitting man against nature. Thus the spirits are pissed off, but weakened by the years of abuse. Heck of a daydream for an old dude.

19. Jay Are Said: Comment by Jay Are on July 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

I think Mike and Bryan didn’t like the movie at all. To me it sounds like they said that they’re focused on the new show because, well they are, and they don’t want to talk about how much of a disappointment the movie was.

John Reply:

Could be they never saw it. It seems they had nothing to do with it. First big mistake. This does happen in Hollywood.

20. aang Said: Comment by aang on July 29, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

AANG CANT DIE D: what about Katara? is she dead to how does she feel about the death of her husband? what about Sokka is he dead too? IDC just…. instead of all that they shouldve made like the lost element or something…. :(

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Everybody dies after a generation, this is an entire generation after the current series.

21. Avatar of Shah
    Shah Said: Comment by Shah on July 30, 2010 at 1:48 am | Permalink

has anyone else noticed in the picture of the city in the top left segment of the picture on the island there is a statue that could be a shrine to avatar aang maybe? so maybe he started the city, helped with the city or just a random statue honoring him

Colby Reply:

Possibly. Although, this is just a rough draft picture. They are still deciding how the city and Korra will look like.

22. Louise Said: Comment by Louise on August 1, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

I wish the would have skipped the next two avatars after Aang and gone straight to the female fire nation avatar, I think its more plausible that the world would have advanced that much in 200-ish years. I also think that a girl firebender avatar would just be super badass, like Azula but not psychotic. Like a desendent of Zuko, who had no clue that she had royal blood. Something about how the monarchy had been abandoned sometime after Zuko’s reign because of the changing and blending world. Something would happen to cause the need of firelords and earth kings once again, like a corrupt central governemt (kind of like the Dai Li, except none of them are benders, which is where the anti bending plot comes in) the benders want their world back. So this new avatar not only learns of being the next avatar but also that she’s the next in line to be firelord by blood. I think that a character dealing with both of those destinys would be intirely interesting. Maybe a bit impossble, but really cool at the same time.

John Reply:

In real history the age of steam and then the first world war came up on human civilization pretty quick. The late 1700s looks a lot like the world of Avatar. There is some technology, and most people get by without it. There are already huge navies and armies armed with artillery. But by the 1860′s Trains and zeppelins are zipping and flying around. Electricity and telegraphs are in development. And the first planes and autos are coming up.

23. Mark Said: Comment by Mark on August 7, 2010 at 7:23 am | Permalink

Spoiler alert.. did you know that uncle iroh is only 43 years old?? Yeah.. thats really young for an old man…

24. Gyatso Said: Comment by Gyatso on August 10, 2010 at 12:33 am | Permalink

I have mix feelings about this :/
    I really like the main character and the steampunk enviroment city, but they had so much juicy stuff left behind from the “gaang”. They could have still tackled the same issues from the new series, but with the older seasoned original cast! World peace wouldn’t have happened just like that, it requires a LOT of work (look at Germany post-WWII), how can people trust the Fire Nation again? And what about Zuko’s mom? Did the South Water Tribe get restored? Obviously yes, Korra’s from there, but it could have been part of the “new” plot. If Aang was “the last airbender”, how would the cycle be restored? Again, just if there was no Korra miniseries. Did Sokka ever find his lost “space sword”? LOL. And the Real Waterbender makes a great point with Koh the facestealer, what’s up with that?! Oh well, they made an excellent job with the original series, so I hope for the best :)

John Reply:

I wanna know all that stuff too. It might have been better to start the Night man’s movies where the show left off, and include the original creators in the creative process. But I kinda already love this Korra chick, almost unconditionally. SO far the Avatar series has yielded the bestest characters. So I can go along with whatever the original creators wanna do.

25. Iroh Said: Comment by Iroh on August 12, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

I’m pretty excited to see this series. What I’m really holding out for is a prequel though. I’d like to see the story of the very first Avatar.

26. sozinazulonozaizuko Said: Comment by sozinazulonozaizuko on August 18, 2010 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

i think that they should make a next season where it explored zukos mother and reveal what the world is like right after the war and where the “gaang” is all still alive including appa and momo

27. stephen Said: Comment by stephen on August 23, 2010 at 7:24 am | Permalink

its great! but in the latter part, zuko’s story is the more interesting… i was hoping you could make one for zuko… finding his mother ursa. continuation of the last episode.

28. Avatar of Waterwip
    Waterwip Said: Comment by Waterwip on August 25, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

I don’t see how I could possibly be better than the old one I mean katara and all them and a world way and traviling the world come on their is no way it was to perfect

29. Aaron Said: Comment by Aaron on September 15, 2010 at 4:26 am | Permalink

make a book 4 !. there should be a book 4:air. where the air nomads are brought to life and aang finds them and zuko finds his mum. stuff like that. the series is nothing without the original characters

30. Eli Said: Comment by Eli on September 16, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Will there be any Flying Bison in the new series

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Good Question, but there is no word on that yet.

31. Avatar of ViOLeT
    ViOLeT Said: Comment by ViOLeT on September 22, 2010 at 12:53 am | Permalink

i want to know what happened to Appa and Momo because they are the funniest and cutest part of Avatar…will appa die when aang passed away (which i really dont to…) like it happened when avatar roku died, his dragons also died right? so will it also happen to appa and momo? also i want to know what pet animal would be korra’s?

32. Avatar of Coyote01
    Coyote01 Said: Comment by Coyote01 on December 6, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Sadly, I don’t see how they would explain any more sky bison..since it was confirmed in ATLA that Appa was the last one :(..so probably he died out as the last of them. I mean I wish he wasn’t but he was. The dragons died out because they were largely hunted to near extinction..except for Ran and Shao (sp?) In the Firebending Masters episode..but there is rumor that they were able to breed the dragons back into more numbers.