Who liked the movie? Who didn’t like the movie. Post your opinons here! (98 posts)

• Rance100

said 4 years, 8 months ago

I want to see who and who doesn’t like the movie. Post here your opinon of the movie.
    Only one rule:

No rudeness or cursing.

“Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not.”- Iroh
  • Tierce

Newcomer

I didn’t like the movie. They didn’t stay true to the characters or the story line. The actors they got for the roles didn’t really fit the characters in the story at all.

I would like them to remake the movie and stay true to the anime. I know you cannot stay 100% true to the writings etc but they went way off course with the movie. I looked forward to seeing it and not even 5 min into the movie I wanted to leave but only stayed to see what they did with the rest of the movie.

So my opinion, I want a remake, other actors and a different director.

• Rance100

@tierce
    I agree with the actors part.

• Dreambender Ali

Bender

When I found out they were making a movie I was excited. I thought it was awesome that everyone liked Avatar enough to consider making a movie. But, I didn’t like it as much as I thought. Yeah, it was a good movie, but based off the series it didn’t stay true to the characters, and I overall didn’t care for it. I guess I’d watch it again, but I’d rather stick to the series.

Guru Pathik: Hmm, That chakra opened less like a flowing creek, and more like a burping bison!
    Aang: [Belches] Taste like onion and banana juiceā€¦ but strangely something elseā€¦ Pickles?
    Guru Pathik: [Shrugs] Muhum?

Bender

As I was sitting down in the theatre with my dad I had a sinking feeling in my gut that I was going to be deeply disappointed with the movie…and I was right. Once they called Aang “Ong” it was over for me. And that’s not even the only reason. The acting- horrible, the dialouge- laughable, and the fight scenes weren’t even that good in my opinon.

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

I did not go in with insanely high expectations and was well aware of the limitations of it being a movie as well as it being a different continuity.

With that in mind, I found it to be enjoyable, just seeing the Avatar universe in live action was interesting and I think many of the changes that the movie made actually make the movie verse quite interesting, I prefer that they tried to do something different to the show and it was not just an attempt to copy the show exactly.

The only issue I really have is that some of the dialogue is pretty bad and that some of the scene choices was odd.

I thought the music was very well done, keeping the ATLA style while doing something to make it it’s own.

An enjoyable Summer action movie, what it was always planned as.

I am the Site Super Moderator, Please Message me if you have any problems.
    Check out my Youtube Channel and Avatar Online Podcast for the latest Avatar Info

Bender

I didn’t like it either. The actors weren’t good, dialog, or anything that anyone else has already said. I do feel sorry for the cast though. The movie got a record as the movie to make the least amount of money. But they had it hard though…… It would be like making a movie for….hmmmm…… I don’t realy know but there were to many components to the show so it would be hard and it was.

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

@avatarandres
    The movie made a decent profit, not as much as expected, but it was by no means a financial flop.

• Ricardo

Lion Turtle

I disliked the movie, but it certainly isn’t for the reason, as @dreambender4 and @tierce put it, that they didn’t stay true to the characters or storyline. But it was because the movie’s acting and dialogue itself are poor.
    Even though Aang was called ‘Ong’, either intentionally or unintentionally was no big matter. The reason being that M. Night Shyamalan wasn’t making an exact replica of Avatar: The Last Airbender cartoon. He merely took ideas from it, as it explicitly states, “based on Avatar: The Last Airbender”.
    Yes, the executive producers were Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, but they said in an interview that they had no real power during the film making process. They only aided M. Night Shyamalan at certain places and the rest were the directors own idea.

Throughout the movie, there were many clues of it being not an exact replica of ATLA, from them saying: “The fire nation doesn’t wish to live by the spirits. That’s why they’re so frightened by the Avatar.“, “As many fires in this city should be put out as possible when the alarm sounds. We want to minimise their bender sources.” to “Sozin’s comet is returning in three years.” and “It will give all firebenders the ability to use their own chi to create fire.
    As you can clearly see, M. Night Shyamalan felt that he could have made the storyline better by tweaking some key points of the ATLA world. Obviously judging from the majority of the fan’s reaction and the profit made from box office, he was wrong.

The acting may have been poor; true the dialogue was appalling. But was that their fault? No. They, like Mike and Bryan, had no power in the going-ons during filming. Personally, I think Noah Ringer did a great job. He was a bit shaky in the beginning, but I put that down to the dialogue he said. By the end, he was brilliant. He truly captured the spirit of an airbender.

Kudos also goes to James Newton Howard. One of the main reasons, and this is a big one, as to why I (even remotely) enjoyed The Last Airbender movie was because of the music. He used it to capture the emotion and flavour of the scenes brilliantly.

You have to remember that they are making a live action film, not an animated cartoon that’s 2 hours long. What would be the point of an animated cartoon that’s 2 hours long? It would just be like the Ember Island Players, but five times longer, or the entire three books of ATLA, but many times shorter.

In short, I am asking you to judge the film as an individual, not as a continuity to ATLA. M. Night Shyamalan is merely using the Avatar world and making up his own other designs. He is not making a film of ATLA.

On a final note, of which I am slightly disappointed in the film was (the other being me majorly disappointed in the dialogue):
    Azula doesn’t have that air of confidence and pure evil. She’s like a little father’s pet…

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

@midnight0094
    Well said, I have felt like I have been alone in judging this film as the Avatar Movie Continuity and not as a movie that was meant to be a copy of the show, but did not work.
    Nice to know I am not crazy in thinking that way :)

Bender

Heh, it won the Golden Raspberry Award for worst Picture, Screenplay, and Director. But seriously I can’t say that I reviewed it completely unbaisedly because I’m some what of a purist when it comes to transforming books into movies or in this case a tv series into a movie. And if they decide to make a sequel then I hope they do it right. However it actually got a better reception in other countries.

• KaipoDaWaterbender

Bender

cuz of my high expectations, i think the movie is alright. i think the effects are brilliant and the actors are too

• ninjawarrior

Bender

i think the effects could of been better but it was a cartoon so its ok

• Ricardo

Lion Turtle

@ninjagirl I thought it was a movie? ^.-

• Saladin

Elite Bender

the acting was bad and the fire nation got nerfed hard
    hope he fixes all the mistakes in the second one with better overall everything. Including but not limited to: Pronouncing characters names right.

Reply:

In order to reply you must Login or Register

Group ID: 5
Queries: 218 queries in 0.650 seconds.
15137472fdfcca9b48c72b83cfc3f443729a9693f432a7751f