Forum Guide (41 posts)

• Ricardo

Lion Turtle

said 4 years, 9 months ago

It’s time this thread was reborn from the ashes.

If anyone feels that anything is inappropriate in this thread, please message me and I’ll take it down or change it as soon as possible.

This thread will be for tutorials and helpful hints, used to aid new users (and veterans) around the site. As there have been people confused, or perhaps just don’t know, about some of the functions on the site.

A thread with all the information neatly ordered will prove useful, and can save time in the future when helping other users.

This is by no means comprehensive, but hopefully will include enough to cover the basics. :)

If you know of something that could, or should be added. Feel free to post a comment, and I’ll add it to the contents below.

Questions about the site in general, should be posted in here, and will be answered by either myself, or any of the forum members. :)
    They’ll then be categorised, and linked to in the contents below, so it may also aid future/other forum members.

Whenever another question is asked, a quick link to this thread will resolve the issue. 8-)

Since one can’t ask a question on something that one doesn’t know about, guides will also be added when there are no questions.

However, questions and requests will always take priority.

Contents

————————-
    Forum Rules
    Forum Etiquette
    ————————-
    Forums
    Forum groups and site activity stream
    Forum Jargon / Lingo
    Site glossary
    Site Emoticons
    Site smiley symbols
    Alt Code Symbols
    Alternate symbols
    Account Settings
    Change account password, email, and forum signature
    Uploading an Image
    User Profile
    Profile image, private messages, and friend requests
    Commenting
    Commenting functions
    Tags
    Advanced commenting functions
    Notifications
    Set and remove email notifications

• Ricardo

Lion Turtle

Reserved.

• Ricardo

Lion Turtle

Reserved.

• Ricardo

Lion Turtle

Forums

There are many different forums available on this site.

The easiest method to access all the popular forums, is to scroll up to the navigation bar at the top.
    Then click on the ”COMMUNITY” button, boxed in red here:

Click on Image to Zoom In

It’ll instantly take you to the Avatar Community page, where you’ll be able to see all the popular forum categories, and instantly access any one of them by either clicking on the forum name, or image.
    Another method would be to click the ”Go to Community” link in your profile box, right below your name.

If you’re unsure as to what kind of topics may be in each, there is a short description for each. Otherwise you could just browse through the forum to get a general idea of it. If you are still unsure, feel free to send any one of the moderators for that forum a private message and they’ll be happy to help.

Currently, there are 13 forum categories on that page:
    Introduce Yourself!
    The Legend of Korra
    The Avatar World
    ATLA and Korra Podcast
    The Last Airbender Movie
    Sokkas Randomness
    News and Feedback

Sokka’s Randomness forum is the one you are in right now.

However, these are not all of the available forum groups available on the site, they’re only the most popular ones. To view all of the forum groups available, you’ll have to add ”/groups/” after the ”.com”, without the quotation marks.
    This will take you to the Groups Directory where you’ll be able to see all the groups apart from the secret group.
    Unfortunately, no one knows what the secret group is apart from Airspeed Prime and his fellow Dai Li agents.

There are currently two forums that can be accessed here, and not seen on the community page:
    Market Place
    This is because they are currently not as popular.

You may have noticed that there is the option to ”Join” a group. This is actually not a big deal, and does not require an invitation (alas, I was quite foolish upon first joining the site :P ). Joining a group just means that you have participated, or perhaps will participate in the groups topics. Posting a comment or reply in any particular group will make you automatically join that group if you have not already done so.

Forum threads are a nice place to have a conversation and discuss with other members. Therefore you may wish to see what all the most recent active threads are.

There are three main methods to do this.
    We’ll only be going through the recommended method.

It’ll allow you to see all the activity, including pictures being uploaded, and new user updates.
    To do this, you’ll want to utilise the All Activity page.

Here, you can see everything that’s going on on the site. You also have the option to ‘Like’ and activity, or delete your own activity. Deleting your own activity here will not actually delete the post/update, but will only delete it’s visibility on the activity stream, and in your profile.

You can also go to a user’s profile, a thread, or a forum, by clicking on their name or profile picture, the thread name, or the forum name respectively.
    To go directly to a certain post or update, simply click the ‘View’ button and it’ll take you to that post, sort of like a permanent link.

This occasionally does not work.
    Sometimes, it may take you to the wrong page on the thread. It’s no matter, you can just simply click on the last page and scroll down. :)
    Other times, it may take you to the Legend of Korra page. This is because the thread/page url is too long. To avoid this, it is recommended that you create topics with short titles, as the title later becomes the url for that thread. If you need something long in your title, you could add it in the first post, or edit the title after creating it using a shorter name.

Fully Realised Avatar

@midnight0094 wow, i never realized other forums existed on here :)

If you want the secrets to all the site emoticons, click here ;)

And feel free to check out my page here: http://www.redbubble.com/people/avataryangchen

• Ricardo

Lion Turtle

@airavatara I’m glad you found this useful. :)

• Jadely

Lambent Dragon

YA its back Thanks for posting it again @midnight0094 :)
    You go in to so much details !

No matter how cold and distant people may become, on the inside something warm and precious always remains, something that never changes. To me, that’s what family is like.
  • Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

@midnight0094
    I doubt most members will need to know every little detail you have mentioned here,
    Some tips are good to know like community, directory and all activity, but basic forum and post layout is a bit much. Who doesn’t know where the thread title is or cannot read that x member started a thread.

The view post button only fails if the destination URL is too long, mainly due to thread titles being too long.
    You can see this at least on Chrome with the preview url function, if it is too long the url gets cut off at the end.

I am the Site Super Moderator, Please Message me if you have any problems.
    Check out my Youtube Channel and Avatar Online Podcast for the latest Avatar Info
  • Ricardo

Lion Turtle

@airspeed Haha, I forgot to take all that out. I just copy-pasted what I had before. Working on it now. :P

EDIT: I had another look, and I think I’ll leave the middle section in if that’s fine? I can expand from them, but I’ll keep in mind the simplicity level for future sections.

Oh yeah, and that too. I’ll put it in.
    It has also failed for me sometimes not because of the url length, but just because it didn’t take me to the right place. O.o
    I find this mostly happens when the recent post started a new page (since the old one already had 15 posts), it’ll then still take me to the old page.

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

@midnight0094
    The only issue I have with any of this is that you are overcomplicating this by going into every little detail and thing on the site.

Which kind of gets away from this being an easy site guide.

People not used to forums would want to know how to basically use the forums and just that, learn the more complex stuff after that. Explaining EVERYTHING in that much detail seems a bit counterintuitive to me.

IE, I think you could say a lot more with less.

Also technically myself and the other Dai Li Agents also know about the secret group *flees to headquarters*

• Ricardo

Lion Turtle

@airspeed When you put it that way, I think the best thing would be to not remove the middle section, but thin it down. Counter-intuition would be the last thing this thread wants. ;)

There are more of you? Ahhhhh…

• Ricardo

Lion Turtle

@airspeed Well, in your opinion, what do you think should be removed?
    Specifically, which parts? :)

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

Basically I feel a lot of this reads like a text book that gives a lot of unnecessary detail.

As opposed to giving newer members a Brief list of “know these few things to use the site basically”
    You have most of the basic things in there, just along with some really basic stuff.

Putting myself into the shoes of a forum newcomer what do I need to know once I activate my account and end up on the Site main page.

- Set my Site Avatar
    - Set My sig and profile details
    - What are the different Forum Sections So I know what can go where
    - Then this forum is unique to most so what is this whole Update thing and how does it differ to a forum post.
    - How do I keep up with all the site activity
    - What is with the @username reply thing when most forums just have quote posts, why does this forum have both.
    -Friend requests
    -Private messages
    -Image uploading and posting

For me these are all the things someone new would be looking for. After this is there really anything people need to know, who would ever organise forums by anything other than latest posts. I think only people completely new to the internet would not know super basic stuff like where links go.
    That is the basic stuff you do on the site.

At least that is how I see it and what I look for when I join a forum.

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

@midnight0094
    *Whispers* you are in the secret group already

• Ricardo

Lion Turtle

@airspeed Ok, I’ll do a big revamp tomorrow, not particularly in the mood tonight. :P

I had thought about all those points, and will add them in the upcoming days. :)
    Point number 6, however, is a new one, and quite interesting as I had never thought about it.

Reply:

In order to reply you must Login or Register

Group ID: 10
Queries: 196 queries in 0.694 seconds.
15137472fdfcca9b48c72b83cfc3f443729a9693f432a7751f