Prizes To the Best fan art and fan story of the week (16 posts)

• EarthkingNoah

Hotman

said 4 years, 5 months ago

Give a comic book or posters stuff like that

• Rabadoo

Fire Lord

And who would finance said comic book or posters? Airspeed? I highly doubt he or anyone else has the money to finance prizes every week. Not to mention international shipping rates, oh boy.

There’s a reason community points and custom ranks are the main prizes here. Because they’re free to give. Free is good.

This is a signature about things.
  • Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

@earthkingnoah
    As Rabadoo has mentioned above we just cannot afford to ship out stuff like that for free every week.
    The site is non profit, so if we did something like this it would be completely out of the staff’s pockets.
    For example 2 prizes every week more than likely one sent to America and another to Europe is going to cost at least 20-25 dollars a week depending on the prize.

We give out Community points because they are free and do add to the excitement of the site with ranks and the chance for a custom rank.

A very rare competition for a prize or two is something we would not rule out, but we have no plans for anything like this right now beyond the point system on the site.

I am the Site Super Moderator, Please Message me if you have any problems.
    Check out my Youtube Channel and Avatar Online Podcast for the latest Avatar Info
  • Troy

Master of The Elements

If you do mean getting prizes for site activity I am completely on board with the point system.

I am a Troy, here is my tumblr (http://trojan-avataro.tumblr.com/) here is my Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz7liif7aWFMxJgYFpsptQ) tip me over and here my age: 17.
  • HypnoManiac(Amonics Leader)

Amonic Reaper

@earthkingnoah I think the point system is good enough as it is.

Why was 8 scared of 7? Because 7 ATE 9 Get it?
    AUDM Duel Monsters
  • EarthkingNoah

Hotman

How about give them some avatar points

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

@earthkingnoah
    We already have a fan art contest that we do.

Fan Fiction is too subjective to do a competition on.

• They-call-the-wind-Mariah

Master of The Elements

@airspeed How is fan fiction any more subjective than fan art? Both take a good concept and the skill to bring it together well. Both may be liked or disliked based on personal preference. :)

• OG Sokka

Master of The Elements

I think art is much easier to judge then Fan fics. To me its a perception thing with art for the majority versus a interpretation thing with fanfics. As far as the point system goes it is nice to give out points for these contests I just feel sometimes the amount of points given out is to high.
    that’s not a slight towards Airspeed we all are learning on the fly here. At the end of the day having a million points or 10 points makes no difference it’s building relationships with other fans that matters most.

“Your awfully cute, but unfortunately for you your made of meat.”
  • Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

@tenzin
    Exactly, the points system is really just a bit of fun as you post more and more. Your rank changes the more time you spend on the site and then when you hit 80000 you can get a custom rank.
    The main reason many of the trivias and such have high points prizes is to have more people with custom ranks.
    I think I was the only one with a rank for about a year. Now we have around 10. So it is still pretty exclusive. Not to mention a few people are getting close.

@mariah
    I worded my previous post badly and did not explain it properly. The main reason I have never attempted to implement a fan fiction contest is because it does not seem as dynamic a competition as say Trivia or Fan Art, not everyone reads/likes fan fiction. While most people do enjoy Avatar Art and trivia facts. The results post of a fan fiction contest would be huge and the judging would take ages depending on how many judges their are. How long should the stories be. Then setting a theme or concept for the contest is different as writing style comes heavily into play and some people may not want to write on a particular subject etc.
    Not to mention how much easier it is to have a look at fan art and choose your favourites as opposed to having to read 5+ fan fics just to rate them.
    Now if someone is willing to run it themselves or with on of the fan fic mods then I will happily support it with points prizes if it is a success.

• Deleted User

Newcomer

said 4 years, 4 months ago

Lol are u guys gonna even post stuff?

• Pinkfire

Bender

said 4 years, 3 months ago

@airspeed Ok, I know I’m a bit late for his topic but about the fan-fiction contest, I don’t think it’s such a bad idea. I know of several fandom that have these kind of contest and that make them easier to judge.

We could give the participants a prompt (like, a very precise theme) and a word limit. In about 500 (or more, or less, if you want) words, I believe an author (beginner or pro) is able to produce a great work of fiction that can be judge objectively if given a particular theme.

The best stories would be chosen by their creativity, how well they exploited the theme and the quality.

That’s just an idea of course, I just wanted to hear what you think and I would be glad if we could give it a try :)

Because firebending would be so cool if the fire was pink :)
  • Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

@pinkfire
    If any of the other fan fiction mods are willing to run it I am ok with it going ahead.
    So if @agentnebraska will help to run the contest I will support it the best I can. I just don’t have time to run this along with some of the other events on the site, not to mention how I feel about this as a contest.

• Pinkfire

Bender

@airspeed That’s cool, I understand :)

• AgentNebraska

The Banished Prince

@pinkfire @airspeed
    I think that’s a great idea. You’re going to have to get back to me on the exact details since I am currently not at an ideal place for that (bus home from Austin). But I would definitely love to help out with that because it sounds like it will be fun, not to mention another incentive for me to stay active.

“Zuko. You must look within yourself, to save yourself from your other self. Only then, will your true self reveal itself.”

–Zuko imitating Uncle Iroh

Reply:

In order to reply you must Login or Register

Group ID: 11
Queries: 225 queries in 0.640 seconds.
15137472fdfcca9b48c72b83cfc3f443729a9693f432a7751f