How did you become a moderator? (23 posts)

Elite Bender

said 4 years, 8 months ago

How did you become a moderator?

Fighting crime is what I do. >:)
  • Ricardo

Lion Turtle

@avatarolivia This is explained clearly in the Forum Rules thread, in the last paragraph.

@airspeed said:
    How to Become a Moderator

On this site the process for becoming a mod is very easy. You do not apply or anything, you simply use the site as a regular member.
    Some members may be noticed to be the type of member who would make a good mod, they will be contacted by Airspeed Prime via PM and asked if they want to become a moderator.
    Being a good moderator here is more about interacting with the community as opposed to knowing how to enforce rules. The mods are first and foremost examples for new members on how to post, so post well.

Guidelines for being a moderator will be explained to you if you accept.

Elite Bender

I have two more questions:

1. To be a moderator, do you have to have more than 80,000 avatar points?

2. What is the difference between a moderator and an administrator?

• Ricardo

Lion Turtle

@avatarolivia No, there is no AP requirement.

Administrators generally have more power than Moderators, and they run the site.

Elite Bender

So moderators run groups and administrators run the site?

• Ricardo

Lion Turtle

@avatarolivia Pretty much. Administrators can do everything that a Moderator does, and more.
    You’ll have to ask Airspeed Prime @airspeed for more details regarding that though.

Elite Bender

So you weren’t always a moderator?

• Ricardo

Lion Turtle

@avatarolivia Yes. All the site moderators are just normal users, who Airspeed Prime and/or Jordan have chosen to help out around the forums.

Elite Bender

Hmmm… interesting…

Elite Bender

To become a moderator would you have to be on here 24/7?

• Ricardo

Lion Turtle

@avatarolivia No, that would be highly unrealistic. Basically you just have to set a good example for other users and be able to help out around the forums.
    What Airspeed said in the forum rules thread sums it up well. :)

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

Basically, Jordan (@admin) started this site, he is the site creator and main Administrator, he designed the site.

I am an admin now, but I originally just signed up for this site like anyone else. I became a mod then Super Mod and now Admin, though not in the same capacity as Jordan.
    My role is more on the community managing side of things and head moderator.
    Basically I deal with more or less everything moderator wise, Jordan runs the tech side of the site that I don’t know about and I do more of the community manager side of things that I have more experience in.

As for specifics on moderator and Admin.

Basically Moderators have only certain forum sections they moderate in, they are just regular members in other sections.
    Super Mod (myself) is a mod in every section and chooses moderators, can create new forum sections, edit section details.

Admins deal with both the forum and news side of the site.
    I can add new polls, news posts, update pages and so on.

When the site originally started obviously moderators were just a trial and error, Jordan just had an open application and added more or less anyone who applied. Some fit the role others did not, eventually we got a few solid mods and eventually we get to where we are now.

I am the Site Super Moderator, Please Message me if you have any problems.
    Check out my Youtube Channel and Avatar Online Podcast for the latest Avatar Info
  • Deleted User

Newcomer

just give her the job, she so nice. :P

24/7 no sleep or eat? now that a fan! lol.

Elite Bender

They are on here a lot.

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

@avatarolivia
    I am not really on that often, sometimes I have a free day when I check alot, but most of the time I am only on for long periods of time in the morning and at night.
    Any time I check in midday is usually a quick 2-3 minute check, and possibly post.

Being a moderator is not just about the amount of time you are on the site, but being an active member is important, if you post in such a way where you are respected by other members, not in a formal way, just “Hey x member posted, he/she usually posts well” then that is the sort of qualities that make for a good mod in my opinion.
    Better members know the mods very well than only see the mods if there has been an issue.

But again, mods are chosen based on experience on the site and posting habits (Quality of posts not quantity).

Reply:

In order to reply you must Login or Register

Group ID: 11
Queries: 201 queries in 0.701 seconds.
15137472fdfcca9b48c72b83cfc3f443729a9693f432a7751f