• Donna

Master of The Elements

said 6 years, 5 months ago

Being an older person :) and a devote fan of ATLA I really wanted to have a crack at Cosplay and it’s been on my to do list before I die type thing… so this year I decided, not getting any younger, time to do something about this….

We have a Kiwi version of Comic Con here in New Zealand called Armageddon, and decided that this is the year I’m going to do it… so I chose Avatar YangChen, one of Aangs previous incarnations – why cause I’m air by nature and love the Air Nomads… Also I studied Tai Chi for 3 years, and learnt Staff as a weapon, so have some of the moves down pat :) Also I have Water, Earth and Fire elements within me too, so thought Avatar YangChen is a great fit :)

So after trawling the net and finding any descent pictures of her, which there are a few, I took them to my friend who does my Druid outfits for me, and asked her to help me create Avatar Yangchens’ outfit… So after initial designs – me tweeking and her drawing up the pattern, making a few more tweeks, we then handed it over to her amazing seamstress who created the most amazing costume!!!

It is made of Cotton Lycra, so it breathes and stretches… Problem – colors – the material was all white – so dying was needed… getting the right color a nightmare, till an internet search helped me discover these guys here in New Zealand – The Color Factory… So with a few emails and pictures sent via the internet they offered to try to dye the costume to the exact colors needed…

So I sent it off… they dyed it… and sent it back at the beginning of the week. We needed it back asap so the Tailors could finish the collars and cuffs… it got lost in the post! Found in the post and raced off to the Tailors who did a fantastic job finishing it and getting it back to me…. The costume consists of an Under dress with contrasting cuffs and collar and an Overdress/cape with contrasting collar and contrasting waist belt – I stuck with 2 colors rather than 3 to avoid to much confusion at the dye company and also for the ease for my wonderful tailor :)

My first complete fitting was on Thursday Morning (21/10/10) and wow!!! it fitted perfectly and flows so amazing!

Next the accessories… The Staff – a friend cut out the template I made for him, then with the left over wood, I cut out a circle and created the pendant for the necklace.. Then I engraved the 3 swirling air symbols on the pendant, and then also on the staff…. Found a box full of macrame beads from long ago, that suited the beads on the necklace to a t and then hand made the tassels for the necklace. finished with light relief engraving on the side of the pendant of air swirls. :)

I found a pair of hugboots that were the nutural color and shape as Aangs boots, for $20 in a small convenience store of all places, leggings from an old pair that I use to wear years ago…

The Wig – I purchased skull caps, made of latex, and 3 long wigs, glueing the wig to the skull cap took 2 weeks to do… unfortunately the skull cap isn’t working out, so decided to go and get my head completely shaved! D- Day 22 Oct 2010 – wow liberating is understatement! Great timing – it’s our bandana for Cancer Kids fundraising and also it was my hairdressers last day at her salon before moving to another one… and it’s full moon! wow!

My story line will be that I have just come out of a long Meditation Retreat to continue my role as Avatar to guide Aang from the spirit realm… relating to airbender stuff that Roku can’t help him with… (a common thing that is done by the Tibetan/buddhist nuns when they come out of long retreats is to shave their head completely to show detachment to all with compassion and humility) and will paint with a body crayon the blue arrow over the top of my head and down my neck … Did dry run with the hands last saturday, and will again this saturday (today our time :))

The Event is for Sunday 24th October 2010 and possibly 25th Oct 2010. Will post pictures in my profile and on my facebook page for you guys to comment on… folk are requesting for pics now, but really want to leave that till the day :)

…By feeling all these emotions, it helps you understand how precious human life is…. so you will do anything to protect it. – Avatar YangChen
  • Donna

Master of The Elements

said 6 years, 5 months ago

Yay!!!! An awesome weekend at our Armageddon Expo….

here’s some pics…

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=250989&id=505961584&l=e02bda5ca1

Enjoy :)

• Deleted User

Newcomer

said 6 years, 4 months ago

Very nice costume. It looked like a lot of fun. :)

• Admin / Jordash

Administrator

Wang Fire

Cool costume, yeah that did look fun.

Hey stomach, be quiet alright! Iā€™m trying to find us some food. ā€“ Sokka
  • Donna

Master of The Elements

It was!!! We had heaps of Kids have their photo’s taken with us and heaps of folk giving us great comments :) Loved it so much gonna do it again! :)

Now trying to organize to come to Comic Con San Diego, but it’s not looking like I can’t as accommodation and air tickets are nearly all brought out and at the mo it’s looking around 10K to be able to do it! so am waiting and seeing – If I get tickets when they open the site at 6am Pacific time on the 22nd, which is 3am 23rd our time, then we’ll see what happens then :)

Washed the costume today and got a fright of my life! As the top skirt of the over dress looks all tyed dyed, panic’d calls to the dress maker and dyer to see why and what could be done… turns out it might not be the case, it could be just the way it’s drying! so waiting to see… takes over 24 hours to dry….

Have a friend who is a professional photographer coming to stay from the States in December and going to get her to take more of a professional shoot, so will post them when we do that… :)

• Donna

Master of The Elements

said 6 years, 3 months ago

We had a dress up day at work on the 19th Dec, and my team kept asking if I’d come as Avatar Yangchang, so I did and we also made a helium christmas video to boot… so enjoy :)

• Admin / Jordash

Administrator

Wang Fire

said 6 years, 3 months ago

Haha, Awesome video!

• Donna

Master of The Elements

said 6 years, 2 months ago

@admin Thanks, was one of those wacky why not moment thingies, and we sure had huge fun and that’s what counts! lol….

Lots of folk where surprised by our teams effort to go all out with the fancy dress and I even got to give this websites address to several fans who came instore on the day too :)

• Donna

Master of The Elements

said 5 years, 10 months ago

Whooohooo… Avatar Yangchen will be at Gotham Comics, Onehunga Mall, Auckland, New Zealand this saturday (NZ time) for Free Comic Book Day….. Yip Yip :)

• Donna

Master of The Elements

said 5 years, 9 months ago

Just got a phone call from my dress maker, Avatar Yangchen mark ii costume fitting this Friday! As original was 15 kgs, we’ve decided that it would be too hot and heavy for SDCC, so have sourced a lighter cotton/rayon material that hopefully gives us the same effect but will weigh less and be cooler to wear in the San Diego heat :)

• Arthan

Fire Lord

It would be nice if you could post any pictures, if there are substantial changes :)

Even if you have any “making of” picture.

“How to make your own ATLA Costume” an interesting documentary, by Donna ;)

Aang: “…there’s too many of them. I can’t fight them all.”
    Princess Yue: “But, you have to! You’re the Avatar!”
    Aang: “I’m just one kid.”
  • Donna

Master of The Elements

@arthan ummm…. I cheat! ok I confess… I design the costumes and then have a professional dressmaker friend of mine do the hard bits of make the pattern, cutting it out, pre-washing the fabric, then actually sewing the pieces that need sewing it together, then I pick it up, send it off to some folk that are uber talented in dying fabrics, then they send it back then I take it back to the dressmaker who then puts it altogether like a giant jigsaw puzzle and then I go for final fittings and pay for the huge work done :D

In mark ii, it’s not much of a change, just lighter fabrics so I don’t pass out from heat exhaustion while waiting to see folk in the SDCC long lines :D

I do make the necklace and staff however :D

• Donna

Master of The Elements

ok a follow up… Costumes made in new lighter fabric…. then it’s taken 3 weeks for the dyers to finally let me know if they can dye them… has been quiet a mission, they’re at the dyers at the moment and awaiting final info this morning on how it went… fingers crossed… then back to the dress makers to be completed then final washes and dress rehearsals and photo shoot before being packed up ready for SDCC :)….Will post new photos when I get them :D

• Donna

Master of The Elements

ok, costumes arrived from the dyers, and they are not the right colors! ARGH! breathe… the Buddha gold is more tinge green :( and the Buttercup Orange is more salmon! They go ok together but am really disappointed with the dyers and we’re running out of time to get them redyed, so will just have to work with it… sigh…. they’re back with the dress makers getting put together, and we’ll see what they’re like them :)

• Melon Lord

Elite Bender

said 4 years, 8 months ago

Your Avatar Yangchen cosplay is very convincing. It’s awesome <3. Did you meet a lot of other Avatar cosplayers?

If you do decide to come to Supanova [2013] in Australia, come as an Avatar cosplayer, so I know who to look out for. I'll be cosplaying Sokka, so you know who to look out for too :P.

I am the greatest Earthbender in the world! Don’t you two dunderheads ever forget!

Reply:

In order to reply you must Login or Register

Group ID: 8
Queries: 206 queries in 0.646 seconds.
15137472fdfcca9b48c72b83cfc3f443729a9693f432a7751f