Your thoughts on the last Episode you watched (349 posts)

• Donna

Master of The Elements

said 6 years, 1 month ago

I’m about to start the series over again…. lost count how many times now… anyway I was wondering if I was to start on Monday ( my time,) Sunday all you other guys time :D would anyone want to say do an episode a day with me and say do closer look at what’s going on in the background in each episode with me? Just wondering…. ( I usually do 3 episodes a day, but think I’m going to see if I can watch an episode 3 times in a day and see if I note anything I’ve never seen before or goof ups or any “ahhh hhaaaa” moments happen :D

Sooooo who wants to give this a go? Let Me know…..

Airspeed Prime Moderator Notice/ Thread title changed from rewatch to thoughts on any episode thread, as the rewatch was finished, from Page 20 onwards.

…By feeling all these emotions, it helps you understand how precious human life is…. so you will do anything to protect it. – Avatar YangChen
  • Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

@donnagardner
    Good idea, I need to do a rewatch, it has been so long since I last watched the show, I will do this one and I think I will also attempt to start a rewatch in the 62 days before Korra starts.

So I guess we should start with The Boy In The Iceberg Tomorrow, to give people more time to get in on this.

I take it will be a daily announcement watch the episode now and the 24 hours after that are open for discussion on that episode.

Looking forward to watching the show again.

Airspeed Prime Moderator Notice/ Thread title changed to make this rewatch more official and clear about what is happening.

I am the Site Super Moderator, Please Message me if you have any problems.
    Check out my Youtube Channel and Avatar Online Podcast for the latest Avatar Info
  • Arthan

Fire Lord

Ouch! I’ve watched ATLA first time alone, second with my wife, and now I’m on third in English, and at the same time, since I’ve lunch at work, I’m seeing fourth time in my Nokia X6 smartphone after eating.

I’m watching second season now.

But I could start a 5th time also :)

Aang: “…there’s too many of them. I can’t fight them all.”
    Princess Yue: “But, you have to! You’re the Avatar!”
    Aang: “I’m just one kid.”
  • Deleted User

Newcomer

Consider me in

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

Ok I guess it is time for this to begin.

So we begin with episode 101 The Boy In The Iceberg, Directed by Dave Filoni.

So from now there are 24 hours to watch and then discuss this episode.

• Donna

Master of The Elements

Kewl…. Let the rewatching begin! :) Yip Yip!

• Donna

Master of The Elements

@atreides Hey Flameo Hotman and welcome to our community and look forward to having you join in our lively discussions too :)

• Edie

Hotman

I’m totally in! Last time I watched them all at once was over Christmas break

“You sent combustion man after us?!?!”
    “Well, that’s not his name, but….”
  • MsCada

Newcomer

I’m watching again….just finished. This was the first time I noticed how quickly Aang fell for Katara. It was as soon as he opened his eyes. Then he asked her out on a date…lol

• Deleted User

Newcomer

Okay, I’m done for today. That’s one, 60 more to go.

Hey Donna, Flameo Hotman :)

• Munty

Newcomer

First episode seen for the, what is it now, sixth time. And i started watching the series for like a month ago.

One thing i really enjoy about this episode, is how boring Katara and Sokka’s lives seem to be, then Aang “saves” them both by dragging them out on an epic adventure. And Sokkas scepticism and humor is there from the first minute.

First post! Yay!

• Arthan

Fire Lord

@airspeed said:
    So from now there are 24 hours to watch and then discuss this episode.

You can call me stickler but for countries like mine where summer time (DST for US) applies we only have 23 hours…
    It’s late here an I need to sleep (yes, it’s an apology). Like Iroh said “A man needs his rest”. ;)

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

@arthan
    I know the clocks went forward here too, but it is only 23 hours for one day then 24 hours again.
    I think no matter what time I choose to start it at it would put someone out, but there are still a full day to watch and post your thoughts on the episode.

Also I see what you did there.

My thoughts after rewatching 101
    - It is a perfect introduction to the series, the extended inro does a great job of setting everything up
    -Aang is not on the cliff in the intro but he is there in all other episodes, because he has not been found yet
    -This is one of only 2 episodes that ends with a to be continued despite there being more multiparters
    - I love the introduction of Sokka and Katara’s sibling relaionship, it is so realistic
    - The SWT is in a bad state caused by the war, but in Aang he introduces the complete opposite in fun and joy
    - Gran Gran tells katara to not put all her hope in Aang despite her doing that the second she caught him falling out of the ice
    - Sokka thinks and tries so hard to be a good warrior but as we find out he never finished his training, so he is nearly useless until he meets Aang, in a way despite Katara meeting Aang is the big relationship , It is Sokka who benefits more in that he becomes a better warrior.
    -Sokka’s speech to the kids would actually be a pretty good speech if given to actual warriors, weird given that he was nervous before the invasion
    - Why is there a trip wire on the entrance to the ships control room, unless the ship has some amazing technology that when it is grounded the wires activate, otherwise what if the captain goes to steer the ship and accidentally activates it, Weird.
    - It is interesting to see the development of the characters looking from 101 to 321, Zuko is clearly the biggest development, a complete change in character back to a stronger version of himself before his banishment.
    - It is clear that Aang is the Avatar in this episode, it makes you wonder why he won’t reveal it to them or talk about it, we later find out why and it makes complete sense, it is such a realistic response to such a pressure.

• Donna

Master of The Elements

Ok. This is the coolest thing about this being a 61 episodes series, when I get to start again, it’s been a little while since I’ve gotten to see it again, so it always feels refreshing to begin the journey again….

What I noticed this time….
    Epic background scenes with the huge soft detailed glacier’s and icebergs…
    The introduction of water bending within 2 minutes of the show, and the difference between brother and sister interaction was a great way to introduce elemental bending… this was followed up with Aang raising himself up from the ice after asking Katara to go penguin sledding with him for airbending…..
    The facial reactions of Sokka are sooo funny to watch too. He is very expressional in disbelief, unhappiness and wanting to be the warrior….
    The intro of Prince Zuko in full aangst with Uncle’s response of “I won’t get to finish my game?” Such a great yin/yang moment :D The overshot of Zuko shouting “That light came from an…” while in the foreground Uncle is holding an Air tile… I also noticed that Uncle’s next tile also happens to be Air and that as soon as he placed them, a gust of wind moved the tiles… (am presuming that the gust was the expelled wind from Aangs frozen sphere…)
    Meanwhile back on the ice, Aang awakes and asks the most profound question to Katara…. “Will you go penguin sledding with me?!?!” and then introduces us to the magnificent sleepy looking Appa, his flying bison, so Sokka can introduce Katara as his flying sister :D ah the comedy is so great!
    Watching Sokka’s experience of Appa’s sneeze always cracks me up and especially his lines…
    Giant light beams… flying bison… airbenders… I think I’ve got Midnight Sun Madness. I’m going home to where stuff makes sense. and Oh, no… I am not getting on that fluffy snot monster. really helps set Sokka up as the comedian and we get to see the beginning of his sharp sarcasm that continues throughout the story, while Katara’s hopeful eyes/expressions sets her up as the wishful one and Aang as a goofy kid who just wants to have fun…. even if he’s just spent the last 100 years animated in ice!
    Back on the fire nation ship we see Zuko’s determination not to miss the opportunity to finally restore his honor on the Avatars capture… Even with Uncles encouragement to find rest, our first glimpse of Uncles wisdoms to come…
    Back on Appa, we get to see Aang lie to Katara and how uncomfortable that is for him, then onto the nightmare that shows us how he ended in the ice in the first place….
    One of the beautiful things I’ve noticed for the first time this time is the firelight rings that are around the lamp in the Tent Katara woke Aang up in… just before we see Aang’s tattoos completely…
    Seeing the entire villages reaction to Aang and Aang asking if Appa had sneezed on him again continues to show us the light heartedness of Aang’s personality and when gran gran announces that they thought they were extinct, we see Aangs confusion being distracted with Katara introducing Gran Gran…
    Have always loved the way Aang airbended his staff back from Sokka and then shows off ending with crashing into Sokka’s watchtower! :D
    Back on the boat, we get our another taste of Uncles deep wisdom and clear instruction of what creates firebending … seeing Zuko’s impatience and Zuko demands Uncle to teach him the advanced set of firebending and the result of Uncles priority to finish his roast duck! :D
    Back at the Southern Water Tribe, we see Sokka stepping up to his leadership role, though then discover that it’s only little boys that he gets to express his strength as a warrior code to… Nothing like a potty break to kill that moment :) We also hear Sokka’s theme music created by the track team begin to develop with Sokka’s character….
    Sokka demanding that Aang be kept away from the warrior lessons and Aangs complete lack of knowledge of the war creates more confusion for Sokka… Till Aang spies a Penguin…
    Love watching the penguins in the back ground as Aang and Katara talk about waterbending….
    Happiest, coolest and fun scene PENGUIN SLEDDING!!!! Though Aang cheats with a little airbending in the ice tunnel…;D
    Finding the Firenation ship and Aang giving Katara her first lesson on bending… “If you want to be a bender, you have to let go of fear….”
    Epic scenes within the firenation ship details, with the weapons and the different rooms they roam through… The realisation and shock that he’s missed 100 years becoming positive with saying he did get to met Katara gives us the hints that he’s already more than liking Katara :D
    Setting off the booby trap and the look as they watch the flare fly up into the sky with the simple “Oh oh” from Aang as he presses up against the glass watching, always reminds me of the attention to detail the artists continue to place in the scenes…
    We get to also hear the really wicked music from the Track Team adding to the sense to get out of the ship and also express Aangs agility… Concluding with Zuko’s discovery of the Avatar and his hiding place… closing on his determined expression to restore his honor….

side comment: @airspeed I’m thinking that the tripwire was set after the ship was attacked by the Southern WaterTribe and before the Fire Nation abandoned it or it may have been set by the Southern Water Tribe men to warn them if anyone had returned to the boat after it was abandoned?

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

@donnagardner
    I don’t think so because it was clear to Zuko that it was a fire Nation trap, Katara would have been told if the SWT put the trap in, and the fire Nation setting the trap is weird because that is thinking very far in advance given that the ship was pretty much useless.
    It was just to move the plot along, and is probably not worth thinking so much about :lol

Reply:

In order to reply you must Login or Register

Group ID: 4
Queries: 223 queries in 0.778 seconds.
15137472fdfcca9b48c72b83cfc3f443729a9693f432a7751f