ATLA 10 Year Anniversary Discussion – 101/102 Rewatch (3 posts)

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

said 2 years, 3 months ago

10 years old, hard to believe.

Discuss your thoughts on the anniversary and especially discuss the 2 episodes that started it all “The Boy In The Iceberg” and “The Avatar Returns”

I am the Site Super Moderator, Please Message me if you have any problems.
    Check out my Youtube Channel and Avatar Online Podcast for the latest Avatar Info
  • Appa Your Flying Bison

Fire Lord

Its always a shock and a nostalgic moment whenever i hear the extended opening on the first episode. it really sets the tone for the whole series. same goes to the opening of the first episode of korra.

My favourite scene of the first episode is when aang is trying to get appa to fly and appa just falls straight in the water :P . When i watched the first episode with my friends we were all dying during that one scene because we told our friend that he was appa and then all you see is him fall straight into the water lol

One the second episode i thought it was amazing when aang went into the avatar state. It showed me what to expect from the whole series and how cool bending can be. I wanted to see some more amazing bending like that

Snoost
  • Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

For me there are a few key moments in these opening 2 episodes that really stand out and show why this show eventually became so popular.

The opening narration showing and telling you about the tragedy of war, a reference to the air nomad genocide and so much more.

Then one of the opening lines of the show being Katara calling Sokka sexist, what other Nick show would have the guts to have a character call another ain character sexist. Then to not vilify him for this, but rather show why he is this way (Being the only non child/not elderly male in the village, with no father or mother around to teach him) and set it up as an early issue for him to resolve.

I love how Aang immediately brings a little fun back to the SWT when they have had none for so long, while setting up the tragic idea that he is a boy out of time, 100 years have passes, no one he knows is alive (Until Bumi).

Then we have Katara, so hopeful and she just knows she can put that hope into Aang.

I just love the general idea of these 2 episodes, 2 siblings find the one person capable to changing the fate of the world and this meeting changes their destines.

Straight away you see that it is not just any other Nickelodeon show, this is different, it can be funny, but also serious, deep and meaningful and that is shown very well in these opening 2 episodes.

Really the only flaw with these opening episodes is that the humour just for these 2 episodes is a little bit too far on the typical nick show side of things (Snot jokes etc), but still has signs of the great Avatar humour we have come to love. The other thing is just that this is the only episode where Iroh firebends at the gaang, there are little things like this with Iroh in these first 2 episodes that I thing show that they were not exactly sure at this stage what their plan for him was. Thankfully next episode fixes this straight away.

Great episodes even 10 years on.

Reply:

In order to reply you must Login or Register

Group ID: 4
Queries: 163 queries in 0.599 seconds.
15137472fdfcca9b48c72b83cfc3f443729a9693f432a7751f