K408 Remembrances Spoiler Discussion (27 posts)

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

said 2 years, 7 months ago

Episode is out tomorrow.

Focus seems to be on 3 stories: Mako talking to Wu, Varrick talking to Bolin and Korra all remembering past events.

I am the Site Super Moderator, Please Message me if you have any problems.
    Check out my Youtube Channel and Avatar Online Podcast for the latest Avatar Info
  • Droc Plug

Bender

strangest episode ever

• Water-Tribe Heart

Fire Lord

even tho this episode was as action packed, I enjoyed the story telling very much. It shows how far all our characters have come since they met. I cannot understand why people are so frustrated.

• Jonathan Gathers

Hotman

That was great! It wasn’t as action-y as I would’ve liked, but it was a great episode. I LOVED Varrick’s new mover idea… And though this will never be my favorite episode, it was good and I enjoyed it.

• ThePreciseClimber

Hotman

@katarasmommy
    It is pretty impressive how much the characters have changed over the course of all the books.
    It makes me really appreciate that, in hindsight, the creators DID avoid the “hero(ine) always gets the girl/guy” trope. The way they did it was unconventional, yet interesting.
    Not to mention the Fearsome Foursome is now my favourite comical scene in the entire franchise. And I’d say the Misfit Unalaq joke is more clever than making fun of The Great Divide in Ember Island Players. For once it actually makes sense in-universe. If there’s one villain Varrick really dislikes, it’s Unalaq (early events of Book 2).
    (disclaimer – I didn’t really have any issues with Unalaq in B2)

• Water-Tribe Heart

Fire Lord

@thepreciseclimber

Exactly, I lost it with Varrick’s mover ideas, because it was all drawn from what Team Avatar has been thru in the past. BRYKE and their crew wouldn’t just give up on their fans, and no matter what ridicule, they will write their story, their way. “The Fearsome Foursome” I wouldn’t know why ANYBODY in this fandom wouldn’t appreciate that.

• Joe

Newcomer

Varrick was hilarious, I’m still crying over him referring to vaatu as the worlds most dangerous kite lmao!! But with so few episodes left and all the story lines did we really need a filler episode? Ummm no.

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

Though I understand why this episode needed to be the way it was, I was still pretty disappointed with the episode.

It was enjoyable and extremely watchable, with a few nice moments, but overall I didn’t find it to be a particularly great recap episode given some of the ones I have seen. When you have characters reflecting on the past it opens so many options for cool reactions, and because of the decisions of which characters talked to who I didn’t feel like you got many of these moments.
    Mako talks about his relationship with Korra as his family and wu comment, all leading to Mako realising how much Korra inspires him, which is nice, but so much more could have been done if he was with Korra and Asami and Team Avatar talked together.

The Korra, Asami and Tenzin stuff again didn’t do too much, I liked that they brought up what Toph said in a previous episode, but it was just an extended pep talk effectively. So much more could have been done.

The Varrick and Bolin stuff I felt was the best part of the episode as they had fun with it and it really captured some of the Ember Island Players feel, that the other two stories didn’t have. But again, minus Bolin showing how much he cares for Opal I don’t feel like anything was accomplished as it was so focused on Varrick’s crazy mover.

I said it in my video review and I will say it here, IMO this is the worst episode of ATLA and Korra combined. There is a reason for this with the budget, and I feel Mike and Bryan knew they would struggle to make this episode anything special. Once the remaining episodes are of the same quality as the previous 7 this won’t be too big of a deal.

But given that Korra only has 52 episodes overall, this one episode being as it is really makes it standout as a level below the rest especially given that it happened in the final book.

I think it is completely reasonable that many are frustrated with this episode. There are reasons that this episode is the way it is and the fact that Nick forced Mike and Bryan’s hand is very frustrating, but even with that in place, I still feel so much more could have been done than what we got.

• Atry

Master of The Elements

Yeah, I don’t like clip shows either.

Still, the third segment with Varrick’s mover idea was freaking hilarious. I honestly don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard watching an episode of Avatar, perhaps that’s just my sense of humour. I mean come on, the villains phone conversation, how can you not find that funny? They even took a couple of shots at themselves with this episode, like Mako’s relationship issues and Unalaq being a boring villain (sorry but he kind of was).

I guess it’s kind of disappointing that this is what we got this week, but it could have been a lot worse.

• Deleted User

Newcomer

i was so disappointed with this episode, it just really boring! There was no action and was pretty much story telling. Varrick and Wu did add some humour into the episode but apart from that, it was pretty dull. But i do agree, it could of been worse.

• Zuko

Bender

Varrick is like second to Sokka now in terms of humor. I think the only episode that made me laugh more was “Nightmares and Daydreams” from ATLA. However, I was expecting more of a plot development episode. After all, the general mentality is that we all waited a week for our payment, and we expect a full payment. I wouldn’t mind seeing this episode if it was compounded with an episode that moved the plot forward, but this seemed too much of a filler by itself.

The reflections in the episode were pretty nice because it made me see again how powerful each villain was. After Zaheer took the title of Most Overpowered Villain in history of LoK, lots of people forgot how strong Amon and Unavaatu were. Amon took Korra’s bending away at one point and Unavaatu shot purple beams of energy which was pretty crazy too. So I liked how the episode re-emphasized the fact that every villain was powerful.

When Tenzin says that Korra learned from each of her enemies, it would be nice to show how she learned. Like, I get that all her enemies are out of balance, but how does she use that information to make a better decision. In other words, how does fighting Amon help her with Unavaatu? I feel like that answer was avoided too many times.

On top of that, when Korra feels like she is not needed in the world anymore, she gets over that feeling in less than a second. I find that really rushed and annoying because I wasn’t expecting that bad of a self-realization or whatever. I just wished that if this was going to be a filler episode, it should have been more like ATLA’s “Nightmares and Daydreams,” which was where Aang was having pre-war anxiety about facing the Fire Lord during the Solar Eclipse. The episode hardly moved the plot, but was still enjoyable and it showed how nerve-racking war can be. They could’ve done better with Lok 408 but I guess we just have to wait for a better episode next Friday.

• MoonPeaches

Hotman

Definitely wasnt what I was expecting! After the preview, I was really expecting flashbacks from Mako… of things we *havent* already seen or known. This episode made me think of a youtube compilation with commentary. I was expecting the super awesome backstory of Varrick, too, so was really disappointed. Guess it just isnt my kind of humor. I was really glad to see the posts here from people who did enjoy it though! I can appreciate that. Problem is probably on my end… I am way too serious. LOL ;)

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

@moonpeaches
    There is no problem with disliking this episode, this was not an episode Mike or Bryan wanted to do, their hands were forced by Nick, they did their best, but it is not the episode that it could have been.

No one expected a full on clip show episode, most people including myself expected what you did. Flashbacks covering events we have not seen. Mako possibly recounting the death of his parents, Varrick and his first meeting with Zhu Li etc.

The episode is fine for what it is and is not an aweful episode, but it is also not really notable in any way.

I don’t think humour was necessarily the way to go in this episode either, it felt tonally off for me. I wanted more of an emotional reflection on events, but it ever really happened because of the way the characters were distributed.

• MoonPeaches

Hotman

Wow. I just do NOT understand Nick. They have this wonderful story, all these talented people working for them… and they… what, do not care? Ugh. I hope that if there is a future animated series, Avatar can work with someone else who appreciates quality over that sponge thing. I find it hard to believe it was a money thing? But I obviously do not know much about how all these things work, networks and that sort of tbimg. Oh well. At least there was a good reason for the difference in quality! And that it should be limited to this particular episode! :)

• Troy

Master of The Elements

I really want to know what direction they go from here. I think there will be a four part finale, or they could do a three part. Not that I think they don’t have enough, I think there is a lot still to come and it is actually interesting to guess what will be the next focus. The preview clip tomorrow should help.

I am a Troy, here is my tumblr (http://trojan-avataro.tumblr.com/) here is my Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz7liif7aWFMxJgYFpsptQ) tip me over and here my age: 17.

Reply:

In order to reply you must Login or Register

Group ID: 1
Queries: 231 queries in 0.656 seconds.
15137472fdfcca9b48c72b83cfc3f443729a9693f432a7751f