Listener Questions and Suggestions (174 posts)

• Rocket Axxonu

Hotman

said 6 months, 1 week ago

Hey! (Not sure if this is still the place to submit these questions, since it doesn’t look like anyone’s posted anything in this thread in over a year, but I guess I’ll put this here.)

This will probably seem like a strange and/or obvious kind of question, but it’s one that’s sort of been in the back of my mind for a while.

From what I’ve been able to tell based on what fans have said, it’s pretty much considered canon that Toph has or at least had a bit of a crush on Sokka. My own personal impression watching the show myself was that, while there were hints that could point in that direction, there wasn’t anything (that I remember) that was definitive, at least to me.

The main scene I can remember right now is the ‘Sokka, you saved me-You can go ahead and let me drown now’ bit from I think it was The Secret of the Fire Nation. And I have a vague memory of a scene where he might have complimented her in some way, and she kind of looks away and blushes. I could definitely see these as hints of a crush, and given Toph’s personality, it makes sense they would be left less obvious than Aang’s feelings about Katara. But, the first time I saw the scene when they were in the Serpent’s Pass, what Toph says is so over-the-top and un-Toph-like it felt more to me like she’s, well, not teasing exactly, but she’s saying something funny in order to get a funny response out of him, if that makes sense. [Everyone does this to my sister all the time—they like to say outrageous things around her just because she always has the perfect funny/outraged response, and it's entertaining.] Or, I also had the thought at the time it was like, she was almost kind of teasing him in the sense that she’s almost saying, ‘Okay, you saved me, so as your reward, I’m going to act like I know you want girls to act around you.’ For the other blushing scene, at the time I saw it, I felt like it made sense for Toph to be embarrassed no matter what her particular feelings for Sokka, given how tough she likes to act. [That is, if I'm not imagining that scene. I can't remember which episode it was to check, and I know I've definitely concocted more elaborate mis-memories about scenes before...])

So, I guess my question is—is the seeming consensus that Toph liking Sokka is definite canon based purely on what we see in the show (scenes like those mentioned above, and maybe some others I don’t remember), or is that something that may come from somewhere else, like confirmation from interviews with Mike and Brian, or from extra content like an episode from The Lost Adventures?

(I know this is probably just me being bad at picking up on romantic hints and subtexts, people have told me I am. xD! But, I have been wondering about it.)

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

@rocketaxxonu
    We will answer this one later on today on the podcast.

Most people tend to use Tumblr or the email address to send in questions, hence the lack of activity here.

I am the Site Super Moderator, Please Message me if you have any problems.
    Check out my Youtube Channel and Avatar Online Podcast for the latest Avatar Info
  • Rocket Axxonu

Hotman

Wow, that was fast. (For some reason, I was thinking there wasn’t going to be another Avatar podcast until after Christmas, but I probably just misheard or misremembered something from the previous podcast. Sorry, I guess that means this question ended up coming in super last minute. xD! [I'll try to do better next time.]) Anyway, thanks so much! I’m going to go check it out. C:

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

@rocketaxxonu
    We have had some issues matching all of our schedules up so we have been relatively late organising the last few podcasts, we are holding out on doing the off topic podcast until we can get Kelly back on, so we did yesterday’s Year in Review podcast.

• Rocket Axxonu

Hotman

Yeah, I imagine it would be. People’s schedules can be pretty crazy, especially this time of year. x3 (Looking over all your old podcasts, I’m pretty amazed by how you’ve kept them up pretty much weekly for this long, and it seemed like often multiple of different kinds of podcasts. The in-depth reviews of all the old episodes have been particularly fun to listen to, and just kind of hearing this evolving story with the Korra book releases, even though I’m getting it retroactively, now that they’ve actually already all come out.)

Thanks for your dedication, best of luck on your next show. :J

• Rocket Axxonu

Hotman

said 4 months, 1 week ago

I’m sure you’ve already answered this one (probably half a dozen times), but I can never seem to keep it straight. x3

You’ve talked about before how it might be nice to have an Iroh-focused story, that follows the events of his life and covers some of the gaps from the show. My question is, what exactly do we know of Iroh’s timeline, as far as what happened and what order they happened in? (We clearly know that he was a general and tried to take Ba Sing Se, and we know at some point he took the Sun Warrior Trials and learned firebending from the dragons. [Which we know must have happened before he gained the title 'The Dragon of the West,' so before Ba Sing Se.] We also know he went on a kind of spiritual journey, where he learned to travel to the spirit world and met with spirits, and that he must have spent time with the waterbenders, so he could develop the lightning-redirection technique.) What else do we know? (Do we know if a lot of this traveling around was after the death of his son, like possibly a personal journey to find meaning in his life again, or would it have had to been before, when he was younger?)

Thanks! (:

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

@rocketaxxonu
    We will definitely answer this on the next Avatar podcast.

But I will mention that I recently made a video covering this very topic, more with the approach of how they would turn his story into a comic series, but I do end up going through the key aspects of his past and trying to place them in order.

• Rocket Axxonu

Hotman

Thanks! I’ll definitely take a look at it. (And looking forward to the next Avatar podcast. :3)

• Rocket Axxonu

Hotman

said 3 months, 2 weeks ago

Here’s one I’ve been thinking of recently.

I’ve been reading an Avatar fan comic (called ‘The Tale of Tashi and Nima’; unbelievably amazing art, which can be found on deviantArt.com), which is about a couple of airbenders, set during the very beginning of Sozin’s War. If I’m understanding the timeline of the story right, at the point the story begins, Sozin had already taken hostile actions against other nations, and the worried elders had already told Aang he was the Avatar and he had already disappeared. However, when the story starts out, life seems to be going on fairly peacefully and as normal at the airbender temples, and when the comet arrives, they seem unaware of the significance it will have in the war, or the power it will give firebenders. (And they are completely blindsided by the attack.)

I was wondering if, based on what we know of the timeline of events, if this sounds like an accurate portrayal to you. (How much do we know about the order in which these things happened? I realized as I was reading how shaky I am about the canon of this time period of the Avatar world.)

Thanks!

Reply:

In order to reply you must Login or Register

Group ID: 17
Queries: 175 queries in 0.650 seconds.
15137472fdfcca9b48c72b83cfc3f443729a9693f432a7751f