Two Halves of the Same Whole (In Progress) (10 posts)

• Karis

Elite Bender

said 3 years, 1 month ago

Two Halves of the Same Whole is about two people, a boy and a girl. The girl is kidnapped and continually uses her wits and brute force to try to escape. Meanwhile, the boy scours the earth for the girl, going on his own small adventures. It takes place during LOK.

It’s partially a love story, so why not start the day before valentines day?

I’ve pre-written two and a half chapters, but I can’t write anymore until my keyboard is fixed and I’m freed from the curse of onscreen keyboard.

I’ll post chapter one later today.

“Leaves from the vine. falling so slow, like fragile, tiny shells drifting in the foam.
    Little soldier boy, come marching home. Brave soldier boy comes marching home.”
  • Karis

Elite Bender

And so it begins…

CHAPTER ONE

He was an orphan from the Fire Nation, he was a firebender. His best friend was the daughter of a Fire Nation general, she was a waterbender. He was a servant for her family, though she made sure that he was treated like one of them.

“Keaton, shouldn’t we be going now? It’s getting dark.” she said, as they sat beneath a tree, shadows falling thickly on her face.

He looked up at the sun for a moment, then said, “Yeah, I guess so.” He stood up and stretched with a sigh.

“I’m going to go over to the market real quickly, we’re out of tea.” she said, standing up.

“Let me get it, your parents will yell at me if you do it, Karis.” Keaton said.

“We’ll do it together.” Karis said, sticking her tongue out in a silly way, then laughing.

So they walked to the market, joking along the way.

“This tea smells good.” Keaton said, pointing at some tea a vendor was selling.

“I’d rather this.” Karis said, showing him some lemon-tea. “It has a kick to it, with a little bit of sugar and milk, it’ll be perfect.”

“Go ahead, though your mother might not like it.” he replied.

“Oh, Keaton.” she said, ruffling his brown hair. “You know that I stopped caring what she thinks ages ago.”

“Stop!” he said, fixing his hair. “You know how I feel about my hair.”

Karis rolled her eyes, then said, “Yep, sure do.” Then she turned to the vendor and said, “I’ll take some of the lemon-tea, please.” She handed him some money as he handed her some lemon-tea.”Come on, let’s go!” Karis said, with a wave of her hand.

“Wait up!” Keaton said, running to catch up with her.The sun began to set as they made there way to the general’s house, the walk was three miles long. But it seemed short since they had walked it many times before.

“We’re home!” Karis and Keaton yelled at the same time, as they entered the front door.

“Did you get the tea?” Karis’s mother yelled from another room.”Yep, lemon flavored. And don’t complain, we got the pumpkin stuff you like last time!” Karis yelled back. They heard words grumbled from another room, but couldn’t make them out.

“Keaton, would you please make some melon juice and meet me in the garden? I don’t like it in the house, I always feel closed in, like I’m in a cage.” Karis said, handing him the tea.

“Sure, see you in a minute.” Keaton said, walking off towards the kitchen.

‘I wonder what it’s like outside the Fire Nation…’ Karis thought, walking through a patch of fire lilies. She sat down amongst the flowers, and got lost in thought for a moment. A rustle of bushes brought her mind back to earth.

“Hello? Who’s there? Keaton is that you?” Karis called out, slightly frightened. She then heard a loud rumble, next thing she knew, there was cold, bare earth beneath her, and everything seemed black. she felt a warm trickle of blood go down her head, and heard the laugh of her captors.

“Karis! Karis?” Keaton yelled, walking into the garden with the melon juice. He suddenly stopped and dropped the juice, staring blankly at the ground. There was large block taken out of the ground, where a cage had been formed, and a small puddle of blood, where a rock had been bent at Karis’s head, knocking her out. Keaton bent over on his knees and began to cry. Karis was his bestfriend, his other half, and he had just lost her.

“I will find you, and save you.” Keaton silently promised, tears rushing down his face like a waterfall

• Hyriu 85

Master of The Elements

A very emotional start but a good one none the less, I shall now await the next chapter.

Please check out my fan fiction under the thread called ‘Avatar The Legend of Anzen Hyriu’
  • YangChen

Fire Lord

said 3 years ago

Ooooh suspense! It’s awesome, when’s the next chapter?

Keep Calm and Carry a Wand
  • Karis

Elite Bender

said 3 years ago

Oh, monkey feathers! I was so rapped up in other stuff I forgot about this… I’ll try to get another chapter up today.

• Karis

Elite Bender

said 3 years ago

I apologize for how short and badly written these chapters are, they’re some of my earlier work, but I’ve improved since I wrote them, so soon it’ll get better. I’m also sorry for how sappy it is, that will also change soon, because I’ve recently started hating all of man kind.
    Hopefully, I’ll manage to post chapters more frequently, it’s just hard to balance all the stuff in my life.

Chapter two

“Who are you? What do you want with me?” Karis yelled through the bars of her earthen prison, she was being held a good ten feet away from the ground by benders.
    “Relax, kid. Where simply taking you to our leader, he has some interest in you for some reason.” A man with a goatee said, his voice was firm and solid like a rock. Karis guessed that he was the one earthbending her cage.
    Karis crossed her arms and pouted, her cage wasn’t tall enough for her to stand in so she was kneeling. She reached up with her hand and felt her head; a bandage was on the place where a rock had hit here. She had only just awoken an hour ago; she had constantly screamed at and insulted the people who kept her captive, but this was the first time any of them said anything.
    As far as Karis could tell; there were four men, two women, and someone who Karis couldn’t tell the gender of. All of them seemed to be benders, even the non-gender person.‘I wonder if any one is looking for me…’ Karis thought to herself. But deep down she knew that no one was, they would’ve easily been able to track down and catch up with these people; they weren’t the cleanest or fastest people, a team of firebenders would be able to catch them in a heart beat. Heart beat… This simple thought would’ve meant nothing to a normal person, but it sent off a chain reaction of thoughts in Karis’s head. –Hearts beat when they pump blood-Blood was a liquid-Waterbenders could bend blood-
    Karis remembered a story her mother had once read to her; a story about a bloodbender who had trapped people under a mountain to gain vengeance nearly a hundred years ago. Of course Karis knew that it was just a story meant to scare little children, but maybe, just maybe, there was some truth to it. If it meant freedom, she would do anything.When she was little, to punish her, her mother would shut her in the spare room with nothing but a water skin and some bread. The spare room had no windows or pictures, just a mattress in the corner of the room, that was all. Karis had figured out she was a bender that way, and bending is what made her life livable. She would pick the lock of the door by bending water, then she would leave the house and wouldn’t return until a few minutes before the regular time her mother came to let her out, then she would walk herself back in and act like she had been there the whole time.
    On one of those such days she had come across Keaton: She had found a path behind their house and started following it, at the end of the path was a hut; nothing more than a pile of sticks, really. When Karis entered, she found a boy around her age, sound asleep, scrawny from lack of food, covered in dirt, and ill. Karis made sure that he was cared for, she couldn’t stand to turn her back on people, her heart was just too big.
    Karis’s thoughts were abruptly stopped by a command the goatee man gave, “We camp here for the night, the sun is going down and walking in the dark under a full moon would be too unpleasant, I’ve heard stories that would chill the blood of a dragon.” The man continued on about supper and tent arrangements, but Karis blocked all that out. All she could think was, ‘A full moon, just what I need.’
    A sinister smile tugged at the corners of her lips, but she concealed it for fear her captors would figure out her plan…

Keaton ran into the house and dashed for the general’s room, shoving other servants out of his path along the way. He burst into the general’s room and found the general sitting at a desk, rubbing his temples. “Sir, I think Karis has been kidnapped we must do something.” there was a strong sound of urgency in his voice.
    “Relax, Keaton. Tell me what happened slowly.” The general said, raising a hand to calm Keaton.
    “Okay, well.. Karis asked me to grab some juice and meet her outside, when I went out there; I found blood on the ground and a place damaged by bending. I stopped to collect my thoughts and… accidentally fell asleep. It was about three hours ago that I fell asleep.” Keaton said, his voice becoming shaky.
    The general let out a booming laugh and said, “Perfect! We’ve been trying to get that child off our hands since she appeared to be Water tribe.”
    Keaton felt like he’d just been slapped, “W-what? But she’s your daughter!”
    “Boy, I take that as an insult. My bloodline and my wife’s are both pure Fire Nation. We found Karis on our doorstep, I had a soft heart back then so we kept her. But if we had known she was Water Tribe I never would have even let the idea pass my mind. When we found out she was a waterbender I wanted to scream, we had to keep her bending secret so my honor wouldn’t be tainted.” the general said, a dark cloud passing over his face.
    “S-so, you aren’t going to search for Karis?” Keaton asked, biting his lip to keep from crying.
    “Didn’t you hear what I said? I’ve been trying to get rid of her, this just makes my job easier. If I did send out a search party it would only be a matter of time before she was found out and my honor lost.” The general raised his voice and stood up, but the effect was lost on Keaton because the general was actually rather short and stout, just making the general look ridiculous.
    “You’re wrong, sir. Your honor couldn’t be lost, because you cannot lose what you never had.” Keaton glared at the general and ran out of the room, tears flying from his eyes. Before the general could even shout at Keaton, Keaton had made it to the servants HQ. Keaton’s hands flew like lightning as he packed a bag full of supplies. He noticed the other servants staring at him strangely, but he didn’t care. With his bag packed and tossed over his shoulder he ran outside, found the trail left by Karis’s captors, and began his journey. It would be a difficult road on his own, but he would walk it for her, for Karis…

• YangChen

Fire Lord

said 3 years ago

Awww I like it! And I can’t believe her dad wouldn’t go after her! How old are Karis and Keaton?

• Karis

Elite Bender

said 3 years ago

Her dad’s one of those stuck up Fire Nation men that loath Water Tribe, (he was even in the raid that killed Kya).

I originally had them as thirteen, but I think I’m going to go for around fourteen or fifteen.

• YangChen

Fire Lord

said 3 years ago

@fullmoon0waterbender awesome, yeah I mean I could believe it, but I didn’t want to

• Karis

Elite Bender

said 2 years, 11 months ago

Here’s chapter three, sorry it’s so short, I’ve lost my thread in this one and I’m having difficulties picking it back up. Anyways, this is the last of what was originally written, so I’ll have to get back to the keyboard tomorrow night.

Chapter Three

Breath, you can do this, breath. Karis silently reassured herself, repeating the chant she had used many times over already.
    The rising moon reflected light off of her face, casting an eerie glow about her.
    Her wound had been cleaned and re-bandaged, making her look much healthier, though she felt ill inside.
    The people of the camp were just now settling into their tents, they had taken a lot longer than Karis had anticipated, completely oblivious of her plan.
    She continued to mentally prepare herself, knowing that the time to act was just minutes away. She could see the women of the camp blowing out the lamps, and the men pouring water on the fires.
    Her earthen cage was suspended high above the camp by a pole of rock, a circle of hot coals had been laid around the pole to discourage her from trying to escape. But it wasn’t going to stop her.
    Slowly, the people crept into their tents and began snoring.
    Now! Karis thought. But she couldn’t move, she felt frozen in place. Remembering the exercises she had been taught when younger,she closed her eyes, took deep breathes, and took notice of each of her body parts, unlocking them one at a time.
    She opened her eyes, and said, “And so it begins.”
    Focusing on the moons energy, she pulled water from air. Bringing her arms around in the waterbending forms, she slashed through the poles of the cage, the razor blade water slashes cut through the earth like a knife to butter.
    Wssh-Wssh-Wssh, the sound echoed through the empty night, resounding off the hills around. But no one came out of the tents, so far she was safe.
    Sweat dripped down her brow and into her eyes, making it difficult to see. Her breath came in ragged gasps, her arms felt weak and fragile. She was nearly through the bars, so close to freedom.
    A shout echoed through the camp, one of the women had woken and discovered her.
    “She’s a bender! Quick, before she escapes, reinforce the cage!” The woman shouted, rushing forward to the coals. The woman took a stance and shot a series of small bursts of flames on the coals, igniting them into a large fire.
    No, not yet, just a little bit more. Karis thought, frantically speeding up her slashes. With a final burst of exertion, she cut through the bars, letting them crumble down to the ground.
    Karis jumped through the gap in the bars and landed in the ring of fire, just in time. The rest of the camp had awoken, they were all rushing out of their tents and into the night.
    The woman who had first woken saw Karis through the flames of the fire. “You’re not free yet, you still have all of us to go against, little girl!” The woman shouted.
    The rest of the group ran up and encircled the fire, blocking any escape for Karis.
    “Give up! You’ll never be able to escape.” The man, who appeared to be the leader of this caravan, shouted out.
    Karis smiled, “Look up.”
    They looked up, the moon had risen. It lingered a few feet above Karis’s head, clouds passing from it’s shimmering face.
    None of the group seemed scared, not even fazed. “What kind of ploy are you trying?” The leader said, raising an accusing eyebrow at her.
    Karis was stunned, had they not heard the stories? Did they not know what she was about to do? Either way, she had the upper hand.
    “This kind!” she shouted back. With bloodcurdling screams, all of them fell to their knees, their arms and hands bent in unnatural ways. Karis’s arms were in front of her, one below the other, her face held in a grim look of terror at her own power.
    “Wh-what are you?” The leader asked, struggling with difficulty to bring his head back up from its twisted position to face her.
    “A bloodbender.” she replied, keeping her voice low to refrain it from quaking.
    She slowly brought them all to their knees, now was the hard part, she had to get past the fire and run away, holding onto this group all the while. She couldn’t take them with her, but she couldn’t set them free, and she’d never killed anyone.
    Karis risked holding them in a grip with one hand, bending water from nearby grass and putting out a splotch of flames. She stepped through the flames to freedom, but the edges of her black and red tunic caught fire. Karis didn’t even flinch; the fire burned itself out and a piece of charred fabric fell to the ground.

Reply:

In order to reply you must Login or Register

Group ID: 9
Queries: 185 queries in 0.681 seconds.
15137472fdfcca9b48c72b83cfc3f443729a9693f432a7751f