Avatar: Guardians Of Balance, 12+, By Airspeed Prime (63 posts)

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

said 4 years, 11 months ago

So I will attempt to write my 4th Fanfic.

My first and the one I was most happy with is Avatar: Origins
    The Second’s final chapter was lost in the site hack, but a summary of events is up, that was called Avatar: Shipping Lanes
    The third was unfinished and completely lost in the site hack was a pro bending story called Avatar: Path To Glory

So this my new fan fic.

The basic idea was one I in part came up with on the last podcast.
    The Avatar is elderly and can no longer be active in terms of constant travelling and fighting to keep balance, but the world is in need of the Avatar, the current situation means that the relations between the ruling bodies of the nations is not great so they are cannot do it.
    The Avatar’s Daughter wants to be that person, the temporary Avatar, and while the Avatar knows she can make a difference she needs help as she is just one bender.
    It is her quest to find a group of people to take on the role of the Avatar while the Avatar is unable to do so and onwards when the Avatar dies and the next one is trained.
    The story is not only the journey to find the group, but the group then dealing with the situation between the nations.

With that in mind I would love some help with character names.

Male Elderly Earth Avatar (70)
    His Daughter an Earthbender (20)
    A travelling male non bender originally from The Northern Water Tribe (25)
    A male Airbender (21)
    A female Firebender (23)

I am the Site Super Moderator, Please Message me if you have any problems.
    Check out my Youtube Channel and Avatar Online Podcast for the latest Avatar Info
  • Ricardo

Lion Turtle

@airspeed Definitely looking forward to reading this! Originality astounds me. :)

For the names, are you looking for last names? Rankings? Titles?

Male Elderly Earth Avatar (70) – Old Tong
    His Daughter an Earthbender (20) – Ping Yi Song

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

@midnight0094
    Just first names, we only know like 4 family names in Avatar so adding loads more when there is no need is unnecessary.

I like Ping for the daughter. Not sure about Tong for the Avatar, the relation to Mayor Tong annoys me , Just-Us *shudders*

• Ricardo

Lion Turtle

@airspeed said:
    I like Ping for the daughter. Not sure about Tong for the Avatar, the relation to Mayor Tong annoys me , Just-Us *shudders*

And his laugh too… >.<
    *memory replays laugh*

Ugh…
    *shudders*

• Ricardo

Lion Turtle

A female Firebender (23) – Zera
    A female Firebender (23) – Xerza
    A female Firebender (23) – Zaria
    A female Firebender (23) – Azoria
    A female Firebender (23) – Saza

• Ricardo

Lion Turtle

A female Firebender (23) – Zara
    A female Firebender (23) – Zeesha
    A female Firebender (23) – Azita
    A female Firebender (23) – Nezia

A travelling male non bender originally from The Northern Water Tribe (25) – Kuyin
    A travelling male non bender originally from The Northern Water Tribe (25) – Kanton
    A travelling male non bender originally from The Northern Water Tribe (25) – Kinko

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

@midnight0094
    Thanks for all the suggestions

I will use Zaria and Kinko.

I have an idea for the Avatar and will leave it until I post Chapter 1.

Yes once again this will not be planned out at all, my amazingly bad writing process. AKA Basic Story Idea -Write Story

• Ricardo

Lion Turtle

Male Elderly Earth Avatar (70) – Sarin
    Male Elderly Earth Avatar (70) – Shen
    Male Elderly Earth Avatar (70) – Huang

I’d recommend planning at least a basic structure for the story though, as I find it really helps with the main plot, and can aid in writing the story as you know what you’re heading towards at specific check points. :)
    Makes adding twists easier too.

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

@midnight0094
    I will stick to my unplanned style, it has done well for me thus far. I have the most basic of basic plots in mind.

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

Ok so I will make a start on this as I do not like to over plan things to much.
    I have my main, big scenes as markers. The inbetween bits will just come as I write.

The setting is the time of the Earth Avatar before Kyoshi.

Prologue – Time

“It’s over, Finished!” said Sarin firmly looking at the two groups in front of him. The leader group of Earthbenders to his left glanced from him to the group of Firebenders facing them and eventually ordered his men to retreat with a deft hand signal, Sarin was pleased that his own people, those of The Earth Kingdom were sensible enough to stand down and not make any more of this, he continued to monitor the situation as the group of firebenders and their overly aggressive leader had not moved since Sarin had interfered in this conflict. The conflict in simple terms came down to money, it was not even these men’s fault, it was the leaders of their nations: The Fire Lord and The Earth King, both of whom Sarin had met on multiple occasions. The Firebenders had arrived on a ship which was bringing goods to the Earth Kingdom, the issue was that The Fire Nation always overpriced their goods and to make up for that The Earth Kingdom had to increase taxes on goods coming in, a deal which did not help either nation, it all came down to both Earth King Sidu and Fire Lord Iru being very stubborn men, unwilling to deal or compromise. These men were just following orders and were getting heated over the unfair money exchanges.

Sarin had begun to expect conflicts like this to happen almost every time goods came and and so was always waiting when the good arrived, just in case, being the Avatar this was his duty, to keep balance among the 4 nations. This time though tempers had flared much more than usual and the two groups had squared up to each other courting battle, Sarin was forced to step in, going as far as to erect a barrier of earth between the two groups to stop any cheap bending shots being thrown either way. He took his eyes off the Fire Nation group to check where the Earthbenders had gone to, thankfully they were walking back to their posts, it was then he felt a foot impact the ground forcefully, he spun to see the Firebender leader stepping forward and launching a fireball at the unprotected back of the group of Earthbenders walking away.

Sarin reacted instantly using his Airbending training to his advantage by leaping quickly in front of the blast and then punching through the fireball with ease dispersing it. He then slammed his fist into the ground, the earth rumbles for a second before the ground underneath the Firebender who had attacked opened and then closed trapping the man’s feet. He stood frozen as the others fled back to the ship and Sarin approached. The earhbenders had since turned around and were heading back to give the firebenders a piece of their minds,
    “I will deal with him, you must now return to your jobs” Sarin said in an authoritative voice. Seeing the intense look on his face they did as they were told. Sarin walked right up to the man he knew was named Riyu based on what the fleeing men were saying as they ran
    “You really are a fool, do you have any idea what you could have started had you actually hit that man, the relations between the 4 nations right now are tense and that is putting it lightly. Were you trying to start a war?” he said in a harsh, but not angry tone, Riyu startled at these words paused before he spoke,
    “Things are really that bad, I did not know”
    “Sadly, it is true, and for your stupidity I will make sure you are reassigned to a position where your bad attitude will not be a threat to peace” Sarin replied as he opened up the ground, letting Riyu free. Riyu stood still eyeing Sarin who was startled that the man was actually considering attacking him, Sarin gave Riyu a look that said “Don’t even try it” and he soon backed down,
    “Sorry…..Avatar Sarin” he got out as he sprinted off after his group.

Another conflict averted, Sarin thought to himself as he walked to where he had left his faithful animal companion, Ten Tu, a Badgermole. He then realised he was panting a bit and was very tired, he had not even overexerted himself or used much bending, Ten Tu came to meet his master and knelt down infront of him, Sarin lifted his leg and jumped on Ten Tu, even mounting Ten Tu had taken a lot of effort and he may have even pulled his right hamstring in the process. It was odd as Sarin had always kept himself in good shape, with his bending training and eating well, it was then that the answer to his fatigue and aches hit him, he was growing ever older. At 65 years old he was no longer middle aged, some could say he was now old. As he rode his loyal badgermole back to his home, he thought about this more and more, he quickly realised that his body was just gradually breaking down with age, today was just the first time he had noticed it fully, his 49 years of being the Avatar had just flown by, but when he really thought about it he had seen signs of his ages showing for years, from having to use much of his Airbending sparingly to having to adapt all of his bending styles to be less movement focused. Then a single thought that came into his mind shook him to the core
    “What happens when I can no longer be active as The Avatar?”
    The relationships between the nations were tenuous at best, at most he had a few years left where he could actively travel the world and deal with the situations, what if he could not heal these ties before then. His thoughts then turned to previous Avatars, and he reminded himself to commune with them on their own experiences with growing old as the Avatar. It was now all he could think about.

A few minutes later in Gaipan Ten Tu stopped and Sarin realised he was at home already. He was instantly greeted by his 15 year old Daughter, Ping
    “Dad, I am glad you are back, did you solve this issue?” she enthusiastically asked just before hugging him, he hugged back before answering
    “Of course I did, though a firebender tried his best to stop that” he replied with a smile,
    “You had to fight a firebender !” she exclaimed her eyes wide with excitement “I wish I could help be the Avatar with you and help the world” she said both with excitement and sadness as she knew she could never be the Avatar, Ping looked at her father who had not replied and saw that he looked very distracted
    “Are you there?” she said waving her hands infront of her fathers face to get his attention,
    “What, oh, yes I am, what do you say we go inside and have lunch together and I can tell you all the details of that silly Firebender” he replied snapping out of his thoughts.
    “Yes that would be great” she said and ran inside. Sarin followed her inside, his thoughts on what his young daughter had said about helping to be the Avatar, could that be the solution to the future problem that had just come to light just moments before, someone else under the same philosophy of the Avatar doing the exact same role while the actual Avatar is unable to do it. His daughter had always had the intelligence that his late wife had had, in the 5 years since her death, caused by an incurable illness she developed, he had seen Ping become more and more like his wife, very smart and caring while developing some of his own traits like the want to help people and explore. Perhaps her dream could come true, she could help him to be the Avatar, in fact could she be even more suited to the role than himself. Sarin walked inside and saw Ping setting out some food on the table and caught a glimpse of a look of determination in her eyes and in that look he could see that she felt strongly about what she had said earlier on,
    “I wish I could help be the Avatar with you and help the world”
    Maybe you can, he thought to himself as he sat down to eat.

• Ricardo

Lion Turtle

@airspeed Such an excellent opening. I’m already hooked, can’t wait for more! :D

You introduced the characters well, especially Sarin.

I knew it was a brilliant story, when I felt a bit of sadness upon scrolling down and seeing that I had finished the chapter.

• Ricardo

Lion Turtle

A male Airbender (21) – Yishin (like Yangchen)
    A male Airbender (21) – Naibo
    A male Airbender (21) – Siyi
    A male Airbender (21) – Wukong
    A male Airbender (21) – Linsu

This is a tough one, few names to reference upon and then there’s hardly any pattern. :P

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

Just so people know, it will probably be 1 chapter per week. I may put out multiple chapters the odd week.

No idea as to how long this story will be overall, probably similar length to my first fan fiction.

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

I in about 10 minutes opened up MS Word and came up with what I feel is a pretty exciting story, I had the basic story in mind already, but I put more details in place now.
    All that is really left to confirm is the ending, I have the set up to the ending, just need to work out what to do there to get the conclusion I have planned.

I should hopefully get Chapter 1 up tomorrow, set 5 years after the Prologue is the teaser I will give.

• Airspeed Prime

Administrator

Master Arrowhead

said 4 years, 10 months ago

Chapter 1 – The Plan

5 Years Later

Avatar Sarin sat up in his bed, now 70 years old, the day he had for the past 5 years expected had at last came, he could not continue on any longer as an active Avatar. It had hit him when he arrived home after yet another trade dispute, he had not even had to fight or exert himself, his body had just reached the point where he would need to take it easy for the rest of his life.
    Along with the sense of dread now that his time as an active Avatar was effectively over was huge hope in that his now 20 year old daughter, Ping, had grown into a very balanced young woman and over the last year or so had been doing most of the work that he would have done himself. She usually did most of the talking in the various disputes, so much so that Sarin began to realise that the only reason he was needed at these talks was that there would always be the accusations that Ping was being biased towards the Earth Kingdom and that Sarin would always be fair to every nation, basically he usually just stepped in to agree with Ping and any issues about her would calm down. Sarin had been correct when he originally though that Ping would probably make a better Avatar than him, as she began to grown more and more involved in settling disputes he realised that his own daughter had such sensible world views, a lot of which Sarin himself would never have considered, but the type of things that her mother would always talk about. He knew that he would soon have to bring up the idea that he had been formulating for the last 5 years, to Ping. He began to go back through the events of the last few years and how he had not even pushed Ping onto the path of developing the skills needed to be the Avatar, how she had wanted with all her heart to learn what he did.
    -
    It was just a day after Sarin’s eyes had been opened to the future of the Avatar that Ping had asked if she could go with him the next time he had a dispute to settle. He agreed as she seemed to passionate about learning more about what exactly the Avatar does, that next dispute was only resolved after a brief, but dangerous bending fight, Sarin had protected his young daughter, but he was most surprised when she still wanted to come with him after this brush with injury and more than that when she requested that he teach her more advanced Earthbending. Sarin again agreed, not because his idea was coming to pass, but because it was what his daughter wanted, more than anything she had ever wanted ever, the drive in her 15 year old eyes almost scared him. It was then a few weeks later that Sarin decided finally to commune with some past Avatars about what to do when he grew too old, all had empathised with his situation, all had at some stage thought about the issue, but most either passed away soon after or the world was in a time of peace and it became a non issue, all had told him to make a decision that he believed in and stick to it.
    That decision was that he would continue to train her and assist her in becoming more involved in helping him as long as she continued to want to, he promised himself that he would never force her into this if she did not want it, if she continued to show interest eventually he would tell her about his idea of her becoming a temporary Avatar of sorts.
    -
    Over the next 5 years Sarin trained his enthusiastic daughter in earthbending and the finer points about being Avatar, she never lost interest and in fact became more and more involved the more people she met that were affected by these issues and realised how important the Avatar and almost more importantly the role that the Avatar was to the world and it’s people.
    -
    By the time Ping was 18 she was a master earthbender, with her father able to bend all 4 elements she had a perfect sparring partner and made sure to develop skills to combat all 4 elements and even hand to hand and weapon combat, she had often wondered why her father almost spent so much time on her training, but she brushed that off most of the time as she was just happy that he had agreed to train her in the first place.
    -
    In the two years following that Sarin had along with bring her along to disputes also brought her to visit many places around the 4 nations. He had made sure to introduce her to the leaders of the nations, Earth King Sidu, Fire Lord Iru, The Chief of the Northern and Southern Water Tribe and the council of monks who spiritually led the Air Nomads. Sarin’s reasoning for this was that she needed to be familiar with the world’s leaders and the world itself. Ping made may friends during these travels and again grew more eager to help her father fulfil his duty. But in terms of his plan he had realised once Ping began to accompany him and especially when she began to speak on her fathers behalf what being able to bend all 4 elements granted him, the respect of each nation, all considered him one of their own in a way and would listen to him. Only the people of the Earth Kingdom fully listened to Ping, she would need friends, in a way a “Team Avatar” a group that follows the ideals and beliefs of the Avatar and includes people of all 4 nations, Ping making these connections in the other nations would help her immensely if his plan ever needed to be implemented.
    It was really the last 6 months of those 2 Years that Ping really began to notice her father slowing down in everything he did, he was not ill, just not as energetic as he once was which is what he told her every time she asked if he was fine. The problem was not helped by the fact that the situation between the Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation was seemingly impossible to diffuse and had even grown more serious and aggressive, it had reached the stage where the two nations could not interact with out some dispute breaking out, and with Sarin becoming less and less able to not only travel to these constant disputes but then resolve them, he knew that he would soon have to tell Ping of his plan, he had hoped to end the conflict for good, but no matter how far he got with The Earth King and Fire Lord it just caused more and more issues.
    As the weeks passed by, Sarin became less and less able to travel until a few weeks after Ping’s 20th Birthday he simply did not have the energy to travel, he could just barely look after himself throughout the day.
    -
    As Sarin finished remembering the events of the past 5 years and the way the world was now he realised that he had to tell Ping of his plan, the facts were simple, he could no longer be the Avatar the world needed and the world badly needed it’s Avatar. He made his decision then and there, when Ping returned from gathering firewood he would tell her of everything, most importantly his plan and he would ask her if she wanted to take on the responsibility, he remained steadfast on that, he would ask her not force it on her. Though he knew she would accept, as he knew it was something she so badly wanted to suggest to him, she wanted it.
    He was snapped into attention by the sound of the door opening, it was Ping back from the forest with a pile of firewood,
    “Hello, Dad, got the wood for today. How are you feeling?” Ping asked with a smile as she put down the firewood in the corner taking a piece and placing it onto the dwindling fire.
    “I am feeling fine, just a bit tired…” he said trailing off, Ping immediately picked up on how distracted her father was and bluntly asked about it,
    “What is wrong?, you are very distracted” she asked, looking concerned,
    Sarin knew it was now or never, he just had to come out and tell her,
    “Nothing is wring with me, but there are many important things I need to tell you now, things that I have been thinking of for the last 5 years” he said as he got up out of bed and sat down at the wooden table in the adjoining room, gesturing for Ping to follow, as she sat down, looking very confused, Sarin began.

Reply:

In order to reply you must Login or Register

Group ID: 9
Queries: 187 queries in 0.788 seconds.
15137472fdfcca9b48c72b83cfc3f443729a9693f432a7751f