Gene Yang will write at least one more Avatar Comic after Smoke and Shadow

Entertainment Weekly recently interviewed Gene Yang to hype up the release of Smoke and Shadow Part 1 on September 23rd, but it was nothing about Smoke and Shadow that really stood out to me, instead it was just one line at the end. Gene Yang mentions that he will be the writer for all 3 parts of Smoke and Shadow, but also 3 more books after this.

Gene Yang

“As for Yang’s future with the comic, he says he’ll helm the upcoming three issues, as well as three more after that.”

This is fairly big  news as it has kind of been up in the air since the announcement of Korra Comics, everyone was wondering if the Avatar comics will continue after Smoke and Shadow. We now know that there will be at least one more comic.

I would hope that it is more focused on Katara and Sokka and their long awaited return to the Southern Water Tribe, we know nothing about this unnamed story just yet, but they are the only main characters to not get a full comic focused on them.

Read Avatar Free Comic Book Day Scans Online, Reviews +more
ATLA Episode Reviews 110-113
More Korra Book 1 Art Book Preview Pages
Learn To Draw Korra Book Announced for July 1st 2014

1. John Said: Comment by John on August 24, 2015 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

It would be awesome to see the rebuilding of the Southern Water Tribe!

2. cmac Said: Comment by cmac on August 24, 2015 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

Wait are you saying after he writes the next comic after smoke and shadow he quits I thought the last airbender comic will last until Aang started building republic city or him and katara getting married or the children Bumi, kya, tenzin, lin, and suyin will be fetured in the comic. Man that sucks.

No, the news here is that we did not know for sure what was happening with Avatar comics post Smoke and Shadow, now we know that Gene Yang is writing a series after that. They never talk about multiple upcoming books at once, we won’t here if another series after ATLA comic 5 is coming until Smoke and Shadow is done and the new comic is on the verge of coming out.

3. ThePreciseClimber Said: Comment by ThePreciseClimber on August 25, 2015 at 4:37 am | Permalink

Yeah, weren’t there supposed to be 5 graphic novels total? Which would match with this plan.

Hopefully it will focus on the Water Tribe & a Sokka + Katara plotline.
    Novel #1 was Fire+Earth,
    Novel #2 was Fire+Earth,
    Novel #3 was Earth+Air and
    Novel #4 looks like 100% Fire.

4. Rex Said: Comment by Rex on August 27, 2015 at 2:36 am | Permalink

I’ve heard rumors that the release date of Smoke and Shadow part 1 is push back again til October is that true ?

5. Smilodon Said: Comment by Smilodon on August 27, 2015 at 11:47 am | Permalink

I’m glad to hear that. Gene’s take on these characters has been on the up and up since The Promise (which I wasn’t wild about) and I think he’s got to grips with most of them now.
    I’m really hoping the 5th set is centered around Katara and Sokka. They’ve been sidelined for too long, in my opinion. Which is a shame because from what we’ve seen, I think Gene writes them particularly well. Their fight against the Rough Rhinos and their little underground mission to explore the mines in The Rift put a smile on my face. None of the great brother/sister dynamic they had in the show looked to be lost, so I’d be very happy to see more focus on them.
    I know it’s the meatiest story line the ATLA gang still have to deal with but I do find the Fire Nation Royal Family drama to be a little all-consuming in comic form. I think The Rift worked so well because it was able to step back and be a little less serious than its predecessors.

6. Nikita Said: Comment by Nikita on August 28, 2015 at 10:31 am | Permalink

I´m very curious as to who would replace Gene Yang as a writer if another ATLA comic were to be made.