New Gene Yang Interviews + The Promise Sketches

dh sketch toph

Airspeed Prime here again to give you a comic news update. So as you may have seen after reading my review that The Promise Part 1 is out right now in comic stores, Amazon I believe are shipping it out now or very soon so people will get it on or before the Book release date of February 7th.

Interviews

But enough of an Introduction you came here because of the title and new news. So to begin Gene Yang, the Writer of The Promise has done two recent interviews and these even more so than previous ones reveal some interesting stuff about Part 2 and 3, but nothing too specific.

The first Interview was with fellow Avatar Fansite, Avatar Spirit.

Then following this was an interview with Comic Book Resources

Alot of the questions cover stuff he has talked about in interviews before so for this post I will just bullet point out the really interesting points.

Interesting Points from the two interviews

Avatar Spirit

• Iroh and his relationship with Zuko will come up in future parts
  • Zuko being related to Roku, mainly Roku finding this out will also come up in a future part
  • We will see more of Suki, especially in Part 3
  • What Ursa’s absence means is more important than What actually happened, from Mike and Bryan. This along with a recent interview Mike and Bryan had suggests that Ursa will not be resolved in The Promise, but it does also suggest that there is something else coming that we will find out about her in.
  • Gene Yang really likes Sneers, he is trying to include him to get out more of his character
  • Azula does make an appearance in these comics, he also confirmed that as we knew Azula is in an Asylum
  • New Flying Bison and Lemurs as of now are not in the comics

Comic Book Resources

• Spoilers for Part 1……………… Zuko fears more what Ozai won’t tell him rather than what he will tell him.
  • Part of how Aang gets into the idea of United Republic is with him seeing the world through a more modern lens

Sketches

So now onto the sketches that were released by Dark Horse Comics on Facebook.

dh sketch aang

dh sketch aang2

dh sketch Katara

dh sketch Sokka

dh sketch toph

dh sketch Zuko

So there are the sketches that Dark Horse posted on Facebook, personally I love seeing this sort of thing and it is amazing to see the behind the scenes stuff. Team Gurihiru’s art is just stunning even the line art and it is cool to see all the little notes that go into perfecting every character.

EDIT 28th January

Gurihiru on their blog shared these start to finish pictures of 4 pages

Gurihiru 1

Gurihiru 2

Gurihiru 3

gurihiru 4

Also keep an eye on Dark Horses Website, Facebook and Twitter as they are really promoting Avatar well with loads of competitions and info. Like this awesome Computer Wallpaper http://www.darkhorse.com/Features/Desktops/1222/Avatar-The-Last-Airbender

Oh and please if you can pick up The Promise Part 1 and support Avatar comics, if these do well it will mean a better chance for future Avatar comics. Here is a comic store locator to help you find your local store http://comicshoplocator.com/ .

The Track Team Excited to work on Season 2 of Korra, PLUS Learn more about the process behind the mu...
The Rift Part 1, 8 page preview
The Rift Library Edition (Hardcover) Cover and Release Date
Korra Nendoroid full details and pictures

1. Destiny of Awe Said: Comment by Destiny of Awe on January 27, 2012 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Azula’s in an ASYLUM? …..now that I think about it, I’m really that surprised.

Anyway, awesome sketches!

Atry Reply:

Is it really so hard to believe, what did you thought happened to her then?

Well not everyone knows about the Asylum thing from the old Nick website.
    This is pretty much our first full on confirmation that it is 100% canon.

Atry Reply:

The old website is not gone.

Here it is:

Wow, I never knew it was still up.

Kelly Reply:

How did you find that? If you go to Nick.com and go to avatar that type of format is not there anymore. Now its this.

Atry Reply:

I don’t know, I found it by chance 🙂

Destiny of Awe Reply:

WOW. Thanks for posting that link, Arty. I missed the old Avatar page soo much.

2. AirBendingSlice Said: Comment by AirBendingSlice on January 27, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

I like the pics 🙂

Airbender Prodigy Reply:

Yea, they’re pretty awesome. (=

3. Atry Said: Comment by Atry on January 27, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

I love the redesigns, thanks for posting the sketches 🙂

I also found out on the Dark Horse website, they’re launching a new Star Wars comic called “Dawn of the Jedi”.

I know that this is an Avatar site, but I just have to say it’s amazing they’re telling the story of the origins of the Jedi. So far we’ve only known it through text books, now they’re finally bringing it to life along with the galaxy 25 000 years before Luke Skywalker. It’s going to be great!

I am more a fan of the Star Wars novels, more specifically Darth Tenebrous up to the start of Episode 4 Timescale, I could never get into the original trilogy EU.
    But I may be interested in looking into a few star Wars comics like that one.

Atry Reply:

So what prevents you from enjoying the novels about the Old Republic and Darth Bane?

Not that I’ve read them myself (I’ve hardly read any Star Wars novels), I’m just curious 🙂

4. Airbender Prodigy Said: Comment by Airbender Prodigy on January 27, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

I actually just got an email from Amazon confirming that the book was shipped out to me this morning. =D

Kelly Reply:

Same here I guess the Febuary 7th idea is out then? I should get mine monday 🙂

5. Veronica Said: Comment by Veronica on January 27, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS TO US ABOUT URSA. SERIOUSLY THIS IS ACTUAL TORTURE. But somethine knew!!! Thats almost worth it. (Probably will be worth it once I know what the ‘something’ is.)

6. Veronica Said: Comment by Veronica on January 27, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

new* Wooooow. I need to get off the iced tea. -_-

7. Tracy Said: Comment by Tracy on January 28, 2012 at 6:33 am | Permalink

*Sniffle* It’s boomerang. That’s the happiest, most beautiful picture of them all.

8. uber avatar fan Said: Comment by uber avatar fan on January 28, 2012 at 11:04 am | Permalink

I really like all of them, but my favorite is toph. She looks like she has aged more than anyone

9. clintoshoto Said: Comment by clintoshoto on January 28, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

The artwork in the comic is fantastic. It’s just like watching the show. Also, Dark Horse has a contest for the comic and the prize is a 7-foot Avatar poster.

10. OG Sokka Said: Comment by OG Sokka on January 28, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

I like how they made Toph not uber skinny and her meteor bracelet? is that cannon? first I heard of it.

Well we know that she has it and it was referred to as a meteor Bracelet, Sokka gave her a lump of the meteor left over from his sword. When she made it into various things at the end of the episode the final thing was a bracelet
    and
    307 The Runaway
    Katara: “What about your meteor bracelet‌ You could make a saw. ”

Since this is a new design for her, the Promise part makes it canon that she wears it under her sleeve

OG Sokka Reply:

Hmmmff just when I think I know it all… Thanks bud

Airbender Prodigy Reply:

I know how you feel. =/

11. Callum Fryars Said: Comment by Callum Fryars on January 30, 2012 at 12:11 am | Permalink

These are awesome! I think the sketches of Toph are awesome!

Airbender Prodigy Reply:

Yep, they are probably my favorite. (=

12. Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on January 30, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

I absolutly love the detail and continuity of how they animateTophs meteor Braclet!! Awesome sketches and the book was a great intro to the next 2

13. Hugh Said: Comment by Hugh on January 31, 2012 at 8:38 am | Permalink

A QUESTION FOR AIRSPEED PRIME: Do you, in Ireland, have to pay monthly or something for Nick UK? Because you said you have it, and I’m trying to find out how I can watch korra :^)

My family have a Sky box and we get the nick channels on it, so it is a monthly thing, but not just for nick for all the sky channels overall (not stuff like Sky Sports and Sky Movies)

But I have resigned myself to having to watch Korra online because I need to keep up on things for this site and because I am just not waiting months to see it here.

Hugh Reply:

Oh right, well I hope it’s available online not too long after it’s been on TV because I haven’t got a Sky Box :^)

14. Tracy Said: Comment by Tracy on February 2, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

And it’s lovely.

15. Hannah230 Said: Comment by Hannah230 on August 5, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

I like it

16. Stefano Said: Comment by Stefano on August 6, 2012 at 1:42 am | Permalink

Is there any way to get a digital version of the comics?

No legally as far as I know.

17. Twinkle Toes Said: Comment by Twinkle Toes on September 11, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

awesome sketches. thanksss buddy