Free Comic Book Day 2016 will have a free Korra Comic

Big news. The Free Comic Book Day website has been updated with the 2016 free comics and among them is Dark Horse’s free book, for 2016 this will be a Korra Comic to go with the fact that the first full Korra comic is coming Fall 2016.

Here is the cover

KorraFreeComic

Here is the description of the comic which also includes a How to Train Your Dragons story and a Plants vs Zombies story.

Avatars, Dragons, and Zombies? What could be more friendly for all-ages than original tales from these prime Dark Horse worlds? Nothing. For Free Comic Book Day 2016, take a journey with the Avatar fromΒ The Legend of Korra, the dragon riders fromΒ How to Train Your Dragon, and the fundead ofΒ Plants vs. Zombies!

Nothing to take storywise from the description, but the cover seems to potentially hint at the story of how Korra found Naga. That seems like a perfect story to tell in a short free comic. We know from the Korra art books that Korra finds Naga as a cub lost in a tundra and takes her as her friend and pet, I assume this story will give us the details to that basic story.

Mike DiMartino of course is one of the series creators and will be the writer for the full Korra comic so it is nice to see him also writing this free comic like Gene Yang also writes the ATLA free comics.

Also we should note another new artist for this free comic. This time Heather Campbell is our artist.

Free Comic Book Day 2016 is Saturday May 7th.

Thoughts?

Community Opinion 13 - The Legend Of Korra Book 1
New Korra Game on Nick.com - Dark Into Light + New Book 2 concept art.
Korra will be up weekly on Nick.com and other sites every Friday starting next week.
Avatar SDCC 2016 Exclusive Merch Revealed

1. Airspeed Prime Said: Comment by Airspeed Prime on December 16, 2015 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

” the comics prelude to the all-new graphic novel program!”

The official Dark Horse blog says this on their announcement post. I am really note sure how to take it. I assume it just means that this free comic in a marketing sense sets up the full Korra comic later in the year.

But it is a weird statement that could mean the story is more of a set up for the full comic which would suggest it may not be about little Korra like the cover suggests.

I would trust the cover more, but it is a confusing statement to make.

AvatarKorraPark Reply:

Bryan also says in his post on it that the comic “is short, and also features Korra when she was short”. It’s possible that it, say, ends with a a few panels that transition from young Korra and Naga to them in the present, but more likely it just means “it’s a comic in the same universe that takes place before the full comics”. Definitely an odd word choice, though.

Hopefully we’ll see a preview in a few months that shed some light on that.

If last year is anything to go by, we will have the preview in early February.

2. εŒ—ζ–Ήζ‹“θŠ™ Said: Comment by εŒ—ζ–Ήζ‹“θŠ™ on December 16, 2015 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Not this again…

I always get really anxious over whether I’ll be able to get my hands on the free comic book, as the number of copies can be really limited. I’d hoped Dark Horse would give the Avatar free comic books a rest, and by extension, *me* a rest, but alas, it seems it’s not meant to be.

Well, my local comic book store does take reservations, so it’s not too bad, though it does force me to actually buy any other comic from them for me to have the right to even make that reservation in the first place… and they charge nearly double what Book Depository does.

3. Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on December 17, 2015 at 12:17 am | Permalink

Got to get this for both Korra and HTTYD, and the art here is really good and cute πŸ™‚

4. gon Said: Comment by gon on December 17, 2015 at 11:31 am | Permalink

so there will be no more Avatar: The Last Airbender Free Comic Book

5. NikkitaTheMetahuman Said: Comment by NikkitaTheMetahuman on December 17, 2015 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

I think I speak for everyone when I say we’re feeling disappoined and excited since it’s not set during the era of the original team avatar, but keep in mind this is better than not having an avatar-related comic at all.
    Basically, it’s putting the Awe πŸ™ in Awesome! πŸ™‚

6. stefan Said: Comment by stefan on December 18, 2015 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

If they are planning to release Korra comics in the fall of 2016, when they are going to release Sokka and Katara’s Water Tribe trilogy?

Seth Buchanan Reply:

I’ve sort of been assuming they’ll treat them as their own separate series. Different name, different writer, different artist, entirely distinct. They do the same, I think, with their various Buffy The Vampire Slayer comics. They’ve got two series (‘Buffy’ and ‘Angel and Faith’) and both run simultaneously.

So they probably won’t worry too much about the releases overlapping.

If things are back on track with the TLA arcs, and the extended hiatus between The Rift and S&S was just a fluke, we’ll most likely see word of the next arc in about a month (usually we get details on the next arc a month after Part 2 releases for the current one).

I guess we’ll have to wait and see. We should see full Korra comic details in the next couple months (we got S&S details and covers about 10 months before release, and we’ve been in the “10 months before Fall 2016” time frame for almost a month now), and if TLA’s release schedule is back on track, we should also be getting TLA details around the same time. That should shed some light on whether or not Dark Horse is planning on any special sort of release coordination between the two series.

Well Smoke and Shadow Part 3 is out at the end of March, then usually there is about 5-6 months between the end of a series and the start of the next, though Smoke and Shadow was an exception to this.

It does mean that we would expect both the Korra series and the next ATLA series to start at roughly the same time, but we don’t know the production schedule on either, just that Korra comics are coming Fall 2016.

If they are coming out at similar times I think they would space them out so that there is never a massive break between comics. So potentially an Avatar comic every 2 months once they get going. But that is just me wanting more comics.