Book 4 Balance Starting October 3rd 2014

WHAT IS HAPPENING???

Book 3 Change just ended a few weeks ago and now Book 4 Balance is confirmed to be starting October 3rd 2014.

Mike and Bryan Confirmed it via a video on Nick.com.

bOOK4RELEASE

It also shows that Book 4 Episode 4 is called The Calling and that the episodes will air every Friday digitally on Nick.com and the Nick app, no mention of the paid platforms, but I would assume it will be the same as with the end of Book 3.

I am honestly in shock at how quick this is coming, given the recent news I suspected it could start sometime this year, but early October, before the video game comes out is insane. Here was me hoping I would get a little break from new episode Korra coverage, but now we are right back in. I am excited, but it does more than likely mean that Korra as a series ends this year, but let’s just look to K401 and not K413 just yet.

Thoughts?

Download Avatar The Legend of Korra Episodes 1 and 2 Free on iTunes
Book 2 Episode 5 "Peacekeepers" Airs tonight at a new time, 8:30pm Eastern
Watch K311 The Ultimatum Online Today!!!
Book 3 Change Finale goes Online Today

1. Tumas Said: Comment by Tumas on September 11, 2014 at 2:23 am | Permalink

I’m equally shocked. On the one hand, it’s great not to have to wait too long for the next Book this time. On the other, it’s sad to see this brilliant story end so soon!

It also feels like Nick just want to get this off their chests and be done with it all.

It’s a shame too, seeing how it was just reaching enough of a standing in the ‘mainstream’ to warrant a release of some come proper merchandise from Nick and – more importantly – Dark Horse. Hopefully any online success will sustain the interest in the series and keep the momentum going (maybe even resulting in the release of the ever-elusive soundtrack).

All in all, I have to admit I’m a bit disappointed at how fast things are going all of a sudden.

If the book is done then I don’t know how it can be said that it is just Nick getting it out of the way. The digital distribution makes it easier for them to get it out quickly once it is done rather than having to wait months with the show done to fit it in an airing window.

I completely agree about the lack of mainstream merch for the show. I appreciate Dark Horse’s effort with the new collectors merch line, but it is coming very late and only to comic stores and online. There was nothing released in toy stores, while say TMNT also on Nick has one of the biggest section in any store. There was nothing to draw kids into Korra hence why I think the majority of our fandom is older.

北方拓芙 Reply:

“The digital distribution makes it easier for them to get it out quickly once it is done rather than having to wait months with the show done to fit it in an airing window.”

Then maybe going digital was for the best. At least we don’t have to worry about crazy scheduling. The first two books aired on TV, so anyone that didn’t like Korra back then wasn’t going to start with Books 3-4.

___

“There was nothing to draw kids into Korra hence why I think the majority of our fandom is older.”

And quite frankly, I think that’s a very good thing. Whenever companies start trying to pander to kids, the original product starts to get more childish. Nearly all Korra fans were fans of Avatar before it, and if we’ve gotten older, makes sense that the new series is aimed at an older audience.

You can promote to kids without having to pander to them. My point is just that with the lack of advertising for Korra as a tv show there is no other way for new fans to get into Korra, since the show was/is on Nick you are aiming at bringing in new fans who are kids.

The example I used above was toys and this is a good example at stuff primarily aimed at kids, but that can be executed in a way that can appeal to older fans. Either by just putting out good products or do like Transformers do and have one line for kids and one for collectors. Korra has nothing out in most mainstream stores and thus a whole form of marketing “Hey I like this toy, I am going to watch the show now” doesn’t exist for Korra. It is something I have had issue with Korra since before Book 1. A show with the merchandising potential of Korra having not much merch and most of the stuff that does come out being super specialised, is a lot of lost money in my eyes.

Just looking at the tv ratings, you do get the sense that the problem with Korra was that their was no growth, the show didn’t really gain fans as the seasons went, early on the numbers were big because it was new and brought in that casual kid audience. Which was gradually lost as the gaps between seasons with barely any info made people lose sight of where the show was. At least that is my view on the ratings over time.

I think if they had pushed stuff like video games, toys, books and merch in general earlier we would be in a different situation with regards to ratings. Right now the Dark Horse merch line has barely launched and is releasing new stuff extremely slowly.

Not to mention we know Mike and Bryan with korra were allowed to do what they wanted within reason, so I really doubt the show would have ended up pandering to kids.

Tumas Reply:

I can definitely understand you point, as some products have been unnecessarily interfered with to be more ‘child-friendly’. Thankfully, in that regard, Nick does seem to have let Mike and Bryan tell the story they wanted to, even if it has treated the franchise with less enthusiasm than others it has of late.

The move to digital may, in fact, compliment the fact that us older viewers will not watch Nick if not for ‘Avatar’ or ‘Korra’. However, I hardly see it bringing in new audiences – of any age – unless something outside the digital sphere becomes available for them to know about the existence of the series. The merchandise slowly coming out could help raise awareness on the series, but it would definitely have helped to have it when ‘Korra’ was still on TV and was thus somewhat easier for most audiences to reach. The situation could be salvageable with some effort.

Well, it’s always better than, say, ‘Green Lantern’ or ‘Young Justice’ on Cartoon Network. Both series were well-written, gained critical acclaim and could reach both children and older viewers, both comic fans or otherwise. Their network, however, basically decided to gauge their success via toy sales and reach in one specific demographic (mostly young boys). Toys didn’t sell well because they were very low quality, and the series were popular with both boys and girls, so they were both cancelled.

Unfortunately, the fate of recent well-written series which can be enjoyed by all ages always ends up in the hands of people who can’t handle them properly. ‘Korra’ is a brilliant series that doesn’t get the advertising and merchandise it deserves to pull in new fans; others become too dependent on the merchandise as a test for success.

Momo2009 Reply:

It all politics, since they can’t cancel the show they want it to be finish asap, so that next season new product and shows can be made and promoted. This is pretty much the end of avatar on nick. And most likely the end of the avatar franchise.

They did the same with ATLA, terrible airing schedule for Book 3 Fire with episode 12-21 airing in the space of a week fairly suddenly. Its seemed like Nick just wanted rid of Avatar, yet what did they do then call up Mike and Bryan asking for a new series, free reign on a new series.
    I would not be so sure about this being the end after near identical things being said as ATLA came to an en 😉

F.L.Z Reply:

I agree with Airspeed,most of our fans are teenagers or adults and the reason is that we are the same fans that follow ATLA and now are continuing the Korra and it’s kinda sad cause Korra as a separate series does not have so many fans for itself.I know that we should watch ATLA first and then go to Korra but what I mean is that we do not have so many fans that got attracted to avatar by Korra and even many of ATLA fans that I know are not interested in Korra or even don’t know that such series exist! And it’s all because of poor advertising.

Tumas Reply:

I was referring more to the fact that there won’t be any chance for some proper advertising, again. While online distribution makes viewing a lot easier and lessens the need for viewership on the day of release, it would be good to have people actually know and get excited for the fact that Book 4 is indeed coming.

Hardly any people knew there even was a Book 3 unless they followed Avatar-related news almost religiously online.

2. Atry Said: Comment by Atry on September 11, 2014 at 2:49 am | Permalink

Yep, we’re in the home stretch!

This time you got to let me join the podcast, pretty please 🙂

3. 北方拓芙 Said: Comment by 北方拓芙 on September 11, 2014 at 3:06 am | Permalink

Whoa!… Um, cool, I guess! It’s certainly insanely fast, but if they’ve got the episodes done, I say give ’em to us!
    It’s nonstop Korra this year! Which means we’ve only got the Book 4 DVD/Blu-Ray next year, then.

4. worldstraveller Said: Comment by worldstraveller on September 11, 2014 at 4:59 am | Permalink

I was shocked too…it still hasn’t totally sunk in me yet.
    it may the last Korra series, but didn’t they said that after it, maybe they would make a movie after the series finished, maybe…?

Phoenix King Reply:

I would really like a new movie.

5. Jonathan Gathers Said: Comment by Jonathan Gathers on September 11, 2014 at 7:09 am | Permalink

Yay!!!!!!!!
    Now that that’s out of the way, onto the seriousness.
    I am shocked. Too soon! It means its gonna be over soon as well.
    Its gonna feel kinda like Book 3 was split into two parts, with the first part ending dramatically but picking things up with part two with a break in between.
    But still: CAN’T WAIT! What about y’all?

6. FairladyZ2005 Said: Comment by FairladyZ2005 on September 11, 2014 at 7:40 am | Permalink

I’m both exited and sad. I don’t want the show to end so quickly. especially when Avatar’s 10th anniversary is next year. It would make more sense to wait and air season 4 next year. On the other hand, more Korra can’t come soon enough. I love this show!

Phoenix King Reply:

Yeah you have got a point.
    Perhaps they are gonna release a new series of avatar in the celebration of the 10th anniversary, that might be the reason they are rushing things up.
    THIS IS ONLY A PREDICTION

7. BOLIN(combustion specialist). Said: Comment by BOLIN(combustion specialist). on September 11, 2014 at 8:55 am | Permalink

Nooooooo, book 4 so soon…….nick should just please delay it till next year :mrgreen:

Atry Reply:

Nah, we’ve always had to wait for so long. Might as well get it over with 😉

Phoenix King Reply:

nice one ATRY

8. Water-Tribe Heart Said: Comment by Water-Tribe Heart on September 11, 2014 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Its just the fact that Book 3 just ended and here they are with releasing Book 4. I guess that since NICK rushed BRYKE with making all 4 books at the same time, this is what will happen!

9. F.L.Z Said: Comment by F.L.Z on September 11, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Whattttttttttttt?WOW!Well I’m happy we’re having it so soon but on the other hand I don’t want the avatar series to end now.PLEASE make a series for an avatar after Korra too or continue this even after book 4.Oh man!This is so sad!

10. BOLIN(combustion specialist). Said: Comment by BOLIN(combustion specialist). on September 12, 2014 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Am so sad, whats the emotion for crying

11. YangChen Said: Comment by YangChen on September 12, 2014 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Mind=blown

12. Phoenix King Said: Comment by Phoenix King on September 14, 2014 at 5:36 am | Permalink

oh I’m goona cry. Can’t wait. They should just get me another AVATAR SERIES.

13. Phoenix King Said: Comment by Phoenix King on September 14, 2014 at 5:40 am | Permalink

If they are going to end it should be DAMN good.

14. WaterBenderKorra Said: Comment by WaterBenderKorra on September 20, 2014 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

ya october 3rd that is freaking awesome i love korra and they should play it on air its so freaking awesome

15. MelonLordToph Said: Comment by MelonLordToph on September 21, 2014 at 7:00 am | Permalink

*mentally prepares self*

To be honest I was hoping that they would hold the final book back till next year. I guess that I just don’t want it to end. I really hope the next avatar will have a series too. *fingers crossed*

*cries*

北方拓芙 Reply:

*taps BabyKorra on the back* There, there.

I’ve been thinking about it and honestly it may be unlikely we’ll ever see a new series with Korra’s next life. If Avatar was based on Asia from the 1850s and Korra is based in Asia from the 1920s, the next Avatar would have to be based in current Asia, which may take away the “old-timey” appeal the Avatar universe always had. Maybe they’ll turn back and make a series with Kyoshi or some other Avatar.

F.L.Z Reply:

But you know,that would be actually cool!An avatar in the modern age?SO AWESOME!!!!But you’re right I don’t think they would make a new series but I really love to!An avatar with different personalty than Korra and Aang would be cool and also this avatar will be in earth kingdom then maybe s/he could end the problems in Ba Sing Se and make earth kingdom epic.That would be a great story!