Book 2 DVD/Blu Ray Extras Revealed

Thanks to IGN we now have the cover art and rundown of the extras for the Book 2 DVD and Blu Ray sets. Also the release date has been confirmed for July 1st 2014.

Book 2 DVD

Really lovely cover for this set. Having Raava and Vaatu in the background is really fitting too.

Blu-Ray exclusive special features:

• Audio commentaries- From series creators, cast and crew for all 14 episodes
  • (17) Scene Bending Animatics- Take a look at the animation process behind The Legend of Korra. Watch as we show you the process of how the character sketches, layouts, and rough animation became this action-packed scene in Book 2.
  • Inside the Book of Spirits- Get a behind-the-scenes look at the making of The Legend of Korra: Book 2! Join show creators, Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko as they run through the creative process from story concepts to scripting to the animation phase, and more.
  • The Re-telling of Korra’s Journey- From leaving her home in the Southern Water Tribe to quickly putting her Avatar skills to the test against the Equalists, get ready to relive the exciting adventures of Avatar Korra in this extended Book 1 recap with 30 minutes of video clips!
  • Kindred Spirits: Tenzin’s Family- “Kindred Spirits: Tenzin’s Family” is an all-access deconstruction of his familial relationships, from his children to his siblings with interviews by the creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko.

Additional Blu-ray special features:

• Feuding Spirits: Korra’s Family

DVD special features:

• Audio commentaries- From series creators, cast and crew for four episodes.
  • (2) Scene Bending Animatics
  • Feuding Spirits: Korra’s Family – “Feuding Spirits: Korra’s Family” is an in-depth look at Korra’s entire family dynamic, from her father to her uncle with interviews by the creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko.

As usual those of us who do not have a blu ray player will miss out on a lot of content. 10 whole episode commentaries and especially the behind the scenes feature about Book 2. I get having some features exclusive to the Blu Ray, but for me a behind the scenes feature should be on all releases. I like that there are more features here than for Book 1, though missing from this set is the second puppetbender short, odd that they made a trailer for it on the Book 1 set and not it is not here. I can’t say I am surprised as the first one was not great. I am also a bit surprised that Republic City Hustle is not part of the extras.

You can check out 2 clips from the 2 family focused extras on IGN

Thoughts on the extras?

Korra Air Date Revealed and New Trailer
New Korra Clip + Sifu Kisu Interview
K205 titled "Peacekeepers"
Dark Horse July Solicits - North and South Part 1 and more!

1. Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on March 24, 2014 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Cool cover 🙂 and now that i actually got a blu-ray player, i wont miss out on the extras. though i have to admit, there is a lot more stuff on the blu-ray. but at least there are a few for the DVD.

2. F.L.Z Said: Comment by F.L.Z on March 25, 2014 at 5:44 am | Permalink

Really cool cover!but I think it would be better that they put awesome features on DVD and put more casual and unnecessary features on Blu-ray .

3. Shiney Said: Comment by Shiney on March 26, 2014 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

It’s a really nice cover!
    I’ll be buying the blu-ray version, and I think there’s some great extras this time – tbh, I haven’t even bothered watching the extras for the Book 1 blu-ray, except the commentaries.
    But I’m very excited about the “family”-commentaries. I would have traded ‘The Re-telling of Korra’s Journey’ for the Republic City Hustle shorts, though, but then, they are relatively easy to find online.

4. MoonPeaches Said: Comment by MoonPeaches on March 29, 2014 at 11:10 am | Permalink

We will get the DVD version.

What do you like to hear in a commentary? I like it when they talk about the characters and what they’re thinking/ feeling. A lot of times (it seems to me) the commentaries drone on and on about the music they chose. I like the music too, but if that is ALL they talk about I feel like I just wasted 30 minutes.

The cover is sooo good. Korra looks great with her hair down. Hope she wears it more like that in season 3; I am not a fan of the sharp ponytail. 😉

So excited for season 3!

The commentaries are definitely at their best when the crew are talking about the character decisions they made, a few stories are nice, but sometimes they do get to the stage where they are just talking and it has nothing to do with the episode the commentary is for.
    The Track Team are nice to have on an episode or 2, but unless you really get music, a lot of what they say can go a bit over your head.

MoonPeaches Reply:

Oh yes. You nailed it. I like the music but I am not a musical person. A person really into music probably would go WILD over their deep musical discussions. And I don’t mind it… but some trivia thrown in would make it worth while for ME. Hah. Am I thinking of the big scene in Korra season 1 where Bumi arrived in the bay… and the biplanes arrived. Were they mostly talking about music? I don’t know… I think it happened quite a bit. Well anyways. 🙂 it is all good. I am sure there will be great discussion and I am looking forward to the DVD! I only have internet on my phone- so I have only seen season 2 on a tiny tiny screen! Can’t wait to see Wan on a bigger screen! It’ll be almost like watching it for the first time. *excited*

5. YangChen Said: Comment by YangChen on March 30, 2014 at 8:24 am | Permalink

Love the cover, but awww we don’t have a blue ray player

Same cover for the dvd, but yes you miss out on a lot of extras without the Blu Ray.

6. Joyful Said: Comment by Joyful on April 2, 2014 at 1:01 am | Permalink

i love dis

7. Sapphire Moon Said: Comment by Sapphire Moon on April 8, 2014 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

It sort of sucks that I do not have a blue-Rae player to get the blue-Rae DVD. But I love the cover of the DVD.