Big Avatar announcement coming Update/ Not anything exciting :(

korra

UPDATE 2 24th May/ Nicktoons have announced their “Big Surprise” , every episode of Avatar is up on the Nicktoons website for this weekend only. While good, I find this to be such poor understanding of the state of the fandom from Nick. I do not in anyway think this was the fandom’s fault for getting our hopes up, how is this a big surprise, they did this exact thing for longer a few months back. I guess we now wait for The Track Team’s announcement in early June.

UPDATE 24th May/ On Twitter Nick said this “Nicktoons doesn’t currently have a Twitter account, but the big news is only Avatar-related, not Korra :)”

So I am pretty sure that because of The Track Team’s mention of news soon, that this has to be an announcement of the ATLA Soundtrack. But it does strike me as odd that they would hype this up with a whole week of Avatar. Nicktoons definitely should have been more clear given the lack of Korra news. We do know that there are Korra announcements coming as confirmed by Bryan, but at this rate it looks like it will be SDCC when we get out next news.

Also looking back on the Nicktoons facebook page it appears as if the surprise will be this weekend, so tomorrow or the next day.

I have held off on putting up a post like this, but I think now is a good time to get on board the hype.

korra

We have heard from many sources that there is some big Avatar/Korra news coming soon. Bryan on Tumblr, The Track Team on Facebook and now most interestingly of all Nickoons.

Nicktoons on Facebook has just teased this big news.

“Calling all AIRBENDERS!! In honor of AVATAR WEEK, we’ll be posting about the show all week long, leading up to a big Avatar surprise this weekend!”

Given that the Track Team said that they expect the news in Early June this is obviously referring to Next weekend 1st June and 2nd June.

This is a great sign because what big surprise that is Avatar related could Nick have that is not Korra Book 2 info ?

So In my opinion this has to be near confirmation that Book 2 news will be next weekend.

Thoughts.

New Korra game up on Nick.com
New Korra Nation phase has begun.
K209 The Guide preview clip
Book 3 is titled "Change"

1. Azulan Said: Comment by Azulan on May 23, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

YES YES YES YES YES!!! Finally! I’m so excited! If I get a release date and/or trailer by my birthday (06/12), that would be a dream come true!

2. Troy Said: Comment by Troy on May 23, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

It is odd though because the track team said early June announcement and this weekend is not early June. This must mean they are talking about to different things or the announcement date was changed.

Troy Reply:

Saw a post on tumblr saying the Nicktoons post could be referring next weekend (not this) which would be in June. The wording doesn’t look like that though.

They never said this weekend, Avatar Week has not started yet, so it is clearly referring to next week which by next weekend will be June.

Tenzout Reply:

On Monday, 5/20 NickToons posted “Attention Avatar fans! This week it’s “All Aang, All the Time” here on the Nicktoons FB page!” Last night they posted about the surprise announcement. It sounds like we are already in Avatar Week. We’ll find out what it is one way or another. My guess is it’s ALTA related and not Korra since NickToons is stressing ATLA and they did not mention Korra. At least they posted something.

HaZardous Reply:

Nickelodeon just posted in twitter about the news. It’s only Avatar-related not Korra-related.

Expected since they were stressing A:TLA.

Troy Reply:

I hope we get this strait.

3. John Said: Comment by John on May 23, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

It’s interesting the Track Team seems so involved in this big announcement… Could it be that Nickelodeon is FINALLY releasing a soundtrack to ATLA? I would honestly be willing to wait for book 2 or Korra to get an ATLA soundtrack.

4. YangChen Said: Comment by YangChen on May 23, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!! SOOOOO EXCITED!!!! watch it be a huge ripoff…. no, it will be awesome and I can’t wait!!!!!!

YangChen Reply:

Urghhh…. just saw the update 🙁

5. Deesky Said: Comment by Deesky on May 23, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

They will anounce !the last airbender movie II” XD

6. Mario Kart Ninja Said: Comment by Mario Kart Ninja on May 23, 2013 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

It does seem it would be a Korra Trailer. But given that The Track Team said something about “exciting news”, it might be a soundtrack, which is equally as exciting!

I don’t see why they would have a whole week build up called “Avatar Week” just to announce the soundtrack. It is something that doesn’t really appeal to the average Nick viewer, while a trailer gets the network a ton of attention from hardcore and casual fans alike.

7. Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on May 23, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

im not necessarily excited for this since its about time that nick should be releasing stuff. and even if it is a book 2 release date or something, people may still complain. but i am definitely curious as to what they will release.

Those complaints will be completely deserved, This will be something we as a fandom will never forget, basically a year wait for some proper info on Book 2.

Monk Aang Reply:

What could this possibly be? It surely isn’t something ‘small’. When was the last time they did a huge A:TLA marathon? Before Legend of Korra came out, so if it was a simple soundtrack release or even a comic, why on earth would there be a ATLA marathon.

We can safely say that it’s not a comic or the soundtrack that the marathon of A:TLA is building up too.

But then what else is there? If it’s not a comic, not a soundtrack, not korra related.. the only two other things I can think of are either a TV movie or The Last Airbender 2 (oh god please no) or something completely unexpected and exciting.

So here’s hoping :/

Those don’t seem that likely either. It has been way too long since 1 to continue the movies. The whole Korra crew are swamped with work on Book 2, 3 and 4 of Korra, so there is zero time to do a TV movie.
    Most merch announcements seem odd for nick to hype up so much.
    I just hope that it is not something like a new flash game on Nick.com or something underwhelming like that.

HaZardous Reply:

Maybe the TV movie/short/episode won’t be made by the Korra crew themselves or by only some of them?

8. TheMoonslayer Said: Comment by TheMoonslayer on May 23, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

I think there was a tweet from nick that the news would be only Avatar related not Korra. Still it’s something and we still don’t know what the early June thing is if this is something else. If all else fails at least SDCC is relatively soon and we can expect a tidal wave of news from that.

9. Nico Robin Said: Comment by Nico Robin on May 23, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

it is about time they said something about this but even still I am happy there is something.

10. Eska Said: Comment by Eska on May 23, 2013 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Why only airbenders?

It has gotta be the Book 2 release date…

Troy Reply:

Yes, firebenders UNITE!

11. Dudley Manson Said: Comment by Dudley Manson on May 23, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

This’ll keep me going through the week.

12. Water-Tribe Heart Said: Comment by Water-Tribe Heart on May 23, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

you’re right the day that the LoK air date is released, the only thing that it will be remembered for is how long the wait truly lasted. but at least korra didnt get cancelled. maybe Bryke and the team are trying to teach us patience, and the wait will be rewarded to the fans.

13. Shiney Said: Comment by Shiney on May 24, 2013 at 3:41 am | Permalink

So it’s ATLA – not Korra – related, it’s calling for airbenders, it’s probably involved with the Track Team and they’ve spent a whole week preparing and building for this piece of news?

If I didn’t know any better, I’d say it was a TV movie, but I’m betting on something that requires lower expectations. Perhaps a new comic?

Nevertheless, I’m actually really excited for something ATLA, Korra I know we’ll get – and what we’ll get, but ATLA is unexpected and exciting!

That is the question, I just do not see them making the huge announcement on their channel be a comic, when has a comic ever been advertised on a channel.
    The same with a soundtrack I just cannot see them counting down on their channel just before the next show to reveal the ATLA soundtrack.

So right now I would think it is the soundtrack, but I have no idea how they will go about announcing it.

So it could be something we do not expect at all.

14. Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on May 24, 2013 at 6:10 am | Permalink

i had a dream last night that told me that the big news will be another avatar comic 😛

Troy Reply:

That would be good.

15. Tenzout Said: Comment by Tenzout on May 24, 2013 at 6:22 am | Permalink

My first guess is the ATLA soundtrack. My other hope is that ATLA is getting a Blu-ray release. Although I would buy it in an instant, I don’t think Nick would invest the money to transfer the DVDs to Blu-ray. The soundtrack makes sense since its already “done” and they just have to burn CDs. They are not spending money on this announcement, it’s just a Facebook post. The point is, I don’t think they have spent money on something completely new. I hope I’m wrong and we get new action figures, a novel, comics, posters, video game, dog bowl, iPhone case and soundtrack but I’ll settle for a pencil set. Take my money.

16. Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on May 24, 2013 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Wow I’ve been behind I’m only hearing of this now!! CAN’T WAIT YS

Hopefully it is something exciting and not another Nick Upfront or the like.
    I am keeping my excitement levels low just in-case.

Kelly Reply:

I understand, we cant even count all the disappointments in the past

17. johnny Said: Comment by johnny on May 24, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

funny thing is if it´s about book 2 or about the soundtrack it won´t technically be a surprise since people are waiting for those things for ages. i can´t see people saying “oh, that is surprising” but rather “finally!”. also, a comic about zuko´s mother is already being made. anything else than those three things would definitely be a surprise, but in my eye´s not a satisfying one. but they say it´s an “avatar surprise” (not just ATLA) and korra is a part of the avatar universe so it might be about the current production stance, trailer or release date. i won´t get my hopes up and just see what happens. worst case i´ll be mildly disappointed, best case i´ll leap through the roof.

18. Monk Aang Said: Comment by Monk Aang on May 24, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

So here’s hoping :/

19. Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on May 24, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

WHAT! boooooooooo, i already have the DVD’s…

20. Shiney Said: Comment by Shiney on May 24, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Okay, I could have lived with an underwhelming experience – I was expecting that, and that would have been fine by me, even if it was something I was not interested in personally.

But this is just ridiculous. No, it’s more than that, it’s downright offending. They hype something up to be ‘big’ and ‘exciting’ – and it’s neither. I don’t even think it can count as news, because most fans – even average ones – has already see all episodes. They are honestly being extremely stupid if they think it’s a good idea to try and ‘excite’ the fandom about something that’s literally nothing – yeah, it would have been OK if they had not pitched it up, but they did, and it’s completely low.

It’s not even like it’s permanently, or something – it’s only for the weekend. I mean, HOW IS THIS SO EXCITING?

Especially considering we’re in a situation where we’re craving and they’re giving nothing, this is completely unacceptable treatment. I mean, do they even do PR? Do they even know how to treat their fans? They certainly don’t act like they know a thing about having devoted fans, because they step all over their feelings continuously.

That is the big problem, they had all day yesterday and today to see how excited the fandom was, they saw the initial belief that it was Book 2 news. It was then confirmed to not be Korra news, so we thought it was some huge ATLA news and everyone was posting about it. Nick had to have known what they had planned was not big and was going to be received poorly.
    They needed to be much clearer about what this was, in fact they did not even need to set this up with an Avatar week. This was done just a few months ago too, so it is not a surprise.

All Nick are doing here is shooting themselves in the foot, this is quickly turning into “The Nick who cried News” The count has to be AT LEAST 3 times they have set something up and then nothing happened. It just means that when they do finally reveal Book 2, I don’t think they will get as big of a reaction as they could have, it will be huge, but the constant non events will play a role.

Troy Reply:

The Nick who cried news. I’m loving that summary.

21. Inkasrain Said: Comment by Inkasrain on May 24, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Dear Nickelodeon:

Wang Fire judges you. And I do, too.

22. Eska Said: Comment by Eska on May 24, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Well this is somewhat depressing news.

23. Troy Said: Comment by Troy on May 24, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

This was at least better than if Nicktoons hadn’t posted on facebook. We may have gotten excited for very little but it is slightly better. Not saying they should have played it up though.

Troy Reply:

I just contradicted myself but I think you get the point.

24. Atry Said: Comment by Atry on May 24, 2013 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

I’m more or less certain at this point that they’re deliberately toying with our minds.

25. Callum Fryars Said: Comment by Callum Fryars on May 24, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

OH YES! This is awesome! Just what I wanted! I know what Im doing this weekend!:) Oh this is great!

Rance100 Reply:

I can’t tell if you are being Sarcastic or honest.

Callum Fryars Reply:

Ive never been more sarcastic in my life.

26. Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on May 24, 2013 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

I shouldnt have to say this again
    but I give up

27. johnny Said: Comment by johnny on May 25, 2013 at 5:48 am | Permalink

that´s weird. i´m neither excited nor disappointed. i´m just laughing my butt off at nickelodeon and their incapability to communicate with the fans. it´s like a kid asking his dad for weeks to buy him a bicycle and then finally the dad says “hey son, i got a big surprise for you. here´s that gay he-man action figure you always wanted!”. i think nicks PR section is just some stoned fools cutting off the head of a chicken and watching on what panel of ideas the body drops.

Jon Reply:

LOL, that’s exactly what they’re doing! You’re comment is spot on!

28. Jon Said: Comment by Jon on May 25, 2013 at 11:05 am | Permalink

This is a poor business move on their part BIG TIME! Nickelodeon is too focused on giving people new material that is working for the wrong reasons or not working at all. That need to take the time to search the new thing called “the internet” and look at what the true fans (like us) are saying. They need to take the fandom into consideration and look at the facts. ATLA and LoK are smart shows that actually have an impact on people in a positive way. It invokes so many emotions like true art is supposed to do. But I feel Nickelodeon is selling out to movie spinoffs and horrible remakes. True Nickelodeon is not the only TV network that does that, but I just realized that I’m starting to ramble, so I’ll stop typing.