Avatar The Last Airbender- Legacy Book announced

Our new source for Avatar books, Edelweiss has come through again with a very odd and unexpected product announcement. A new book called Avatar The Last Airbender – Legacy published by Insight Editions.

We have a temporary cover, description and release date

Avatar Legacy

The product description is as follows

“Earth. Air. Fire. Water. These are the four nations that lived in harmony until the Fire Nation attacked. For the next hundred years, war raged across the globe. It was believed that all inhabitants from the Air Nation had perished. Then, a girl and her brother discovered a twelve-year-old boy frozen in an iceberg. His name: Aang. He is the Avatar, the master of all four elements. Together Aang and his friends went on to save the world!

Now a man, Aang looks back on these adventurous years-from being found in the ice to fighting epic battles to negotiating peace. This is Aang’s story, his mementos, and keepsakes.¬†Avatar: The Last Airbender: Legacy¬†is the collection that Aang passes down to his son Tenzin, who will one day be a master Airbender, too. Readers will relish Aang’s heroic tales and the posters, clippings, cards, and maps he gathered along the way!”

The book is priced at $24.99 US Dollars

It is 64 pages long with colour illustrations

The book’s dimensions are 7 inches by 7 inches, for an unusual square shape.

The release date is October 14th 2014 in america and October 23rd for the UK

Author is Michael Teitelbaum and the illustrations are by Lawrence Christmas.

Now for some thoughts on this book. First of all I am shocked to see new ATLA books being out especially linking into Korra. As fare as this book specifically I am not overly sure what to make of it, it seems very interesting as it should contain new info about Aang that we have never heard before, but because it is being done by a new publisher and an unknown author/illustrator as far as working on Avatar goes I am a little bit weary. A lot depends on who this book is aimed at, is this meant for kids or is it more for hardcore fans like us.

I would hope that this book would give us a lot of information about Aang and his life between the end of ATLA up to his death, stories about the birth of his kids and life married to Katara. But primarily this seems to be a memento style book, hence the large price for only 64 pages, the key line is “Readers will relish Aang’s heroic tales and the posters, clippings, cards, and maps he gathered along the way!” so we will be getting “replica” style items in this book which is really cool, especially if the items are known from episodes of the show.

I am eager to see what the final cover and actual content will look like, but on the whole I think his book looks good enough for me to put in a preorder. I am excited, but what are your thoughts on this shock book announcement?

The Legend Of Korra Revolution Review
Episode 3 Civil Wars Part 1 up on Nick.com
Korra Episode Review - K308 The Terror Within
Avatar Free Comic 2015 Preview Pages

1. Troy Said: Comment by Troy on June 7, 2014 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Is it confirmed to be comic style as we know it?
    Is the publisher Nickelodeon or dark horse?

Publisher is new to Avatar, Insight Editions. So not Dark Horse, so I would assume not comic styled.
    The publisher and lack of connection to dark horse/nick is the only real thing I am unsure about with this book, but since it seems so collector focused I am sure the quality and canon will be good.

2. Shiney Said: Comment by Shiney on June 7, 2014 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

It seems similar to other ATLA children’s books we’ve had in the past, and I don’t really count any of them as canon.

However, even if it’ll be rather… simple in style and ‘not quite’ canon, I hope that it’ll give us a better insight into and more information about the dynamic of the cloud-family and Aang’s life as an adult, either way.

To be fair none of the children’s books really contradict anything established or add anything significant.
    The book that adds the most is the Lost Scrolls and most of that book’s new content fits well into what we know.

This one to me does seem to be more aimed at us than the kids simply because it is a memoir style book and has collectibles in it from Aang’s life. That and the publisher seems to do a lot of these type of books, for Game Of Thrones etc.

I would like to know if Mike and Bryan are involved, the description references Tenzin and events that happen in The Promise so I would assume someone official is involved.

Shiney Reply:

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking; that there’s not much to it in terms of the story itself (it sounds like it’s pretty much a simplistic re-cap of the original story line and the comics, but maybe there’s some additional stuff?) – but I’m hoping that there’ll be something worthwhile in this in terms of additional canon information, at least nothing that contradicts canon.

I’d really like to know whether Bryke have been involved, although that might become clear once we have the book.

3. Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on June 7, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

interesting…*strokes a fake wang fire beard*

4. Hyriu 85 Said: Comment by Hyriu 85 on June 7, 2014 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

If I am reading that right then I have three other books like this, (Harry Potter, Inheritance Cycle, and Pirates of the Caribbean). In those were little items that you could take out of the book, like letters, pictures, or maps. If this one is like that then that is very cool and I will be getting it.

5. Karis Said: Comment by Karis on June 8, 2014 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

My older brother has something similar for starwars, with all the odds and ends Hyriu mentioned.

6. BOLIN(combustion specialist). Said: Comment by BOLIN(combustion specialist). on June 9, 2014 at 3:03 am | Permalink

this is good.

7. YangChen Said: Comment by YangChen on June 10, 2014 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

wait so is there any official statement that mike and Bryan are supporting/helping create this? because otherwise to me it is not canon

It has not been officially confirmed, but since we know Mike and Bryan have a “story bible” for ATLA, I assume any new info would come directly from them.
    For me the inclusion of actual items from the show must show some involvement, they would need to see the actual show art to get them right.

8. F.L.Z Said: Comment by F.L.Z on June 13, 2014 at 6:10 am | Permalink

Well interesting but I’m not sure about this…is there actually something about Aang during his journey with Katara and Sokka that we don’t know?

9. Maifan Said: Comment by Maifan on July 4, 2014 at 8:50 am | Permalink

Wow this is amazing. I’m really looking forward to read this and to catch some new info. And maybe we will hear who married with Zuko. ( which I hope is Mai. Mai forever!)