Avatar Online Podcast Episode 47

Roku and Aang
Listed as: Podcast

Avatar Online Podcast Episode 47 – April 21st 2013

Roku and Aang

Morgan (Airspeed Prime) is joined by Kelly (Gemini530) to talk about a small amount of news, answer some big listener questions, including one of The big Avatar questions. All of this before an in depth discussion on 301 The Awakening.

00:00:00 – Opening
00:00:48 – Intro, now including a Book 2 speculation question every week.
00:04:08 – News – DVD/Blu Ray release date moved forward a week +  more
00:16:00 – Listener Questions from Trojan People and The Moonslayer
00:37:37 – Intermission
00:40:07 – Episode Discussion – 301 The Awakening and Outro
1:25:50 – END

Download the MP3 here (Right Click -> Save As)

Podcast is just over 85 minutes long

Podcast RSS Feed – http://feeds.feedburner.com/avatarpodcast

Itunes – http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/avatar-last-airbender-podcast/id512736597
Just search “Avatar Online in podcasts” Please give us some positive feedback to help spread the show. A 5 Star Review would be tremendous.

If you have any listener Questions or suggestions ask them here

Or the email address
avataronlinepodcast@gmail.com

Avatar Online Podcast Episode 19
Avatar Online Podcast - Admin Talk Episode 6
Avatar Online Podcast Episode 145
The Movers Podcast - Steins;Gate

1. BOLIN(combustion specialist). Said: Comment by BOLIN(combustion specialist). on April 21, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

podcasts ok.

2. Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on April 21, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

great podcast as usual guys 🙂 now i wll actually try to comment more now that i caught up to the podcasts (for the most part). i am really excited for next weeks discussion on nightmares and daydreams, its one of my personal favorite episodes 😀

when you guys announced it i just blurted out yay and my sister (avatar yangchen 2) asked why i listen to these podcasts. and i told her that she will never understand why i do what i do. and she said that i will never understand why she does what she does 😛 (if that makes sense)

Troy Reply:

I like that line.

3. Rabadoo Said: Comment by Rabadoo on April 21, 2013 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Sorry about today guys. Internet went completely down for, like, a half hour. Really sad too, cuz The Awakening is one of my all-time favorite episodes. :/

4. Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on April 22, 2013 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

freakiest thing happened today! I was waiting for an appointment and this little girl in the waiting rooms asks “do you watch avatar?” Very randomly and out of nowhere, we ended up talking about it for a bit and she mentions shes up to season 3 when Aang says
    “I have hair??”
    SHES UP TO THIS EPISODE, I NEARLY DIED 🙂

Troy Reply:

Based on the lack of comments I am the only one who finds this amazing.

I liked the comment, which to me is the equivalent of saying “That’s Awesome!”

Avatar Yangchen Reply:

@trojanpeople do you mean the lack of comments on kelly’s post or the lack of comments on here?

Troy Reply:

On Kellys post. This is normal looking for the podcast comments.

Avatar Yangchen Reply:

@trojanpeople yep thats true. and i find kelly’s comment 😎

5. Azulan Said: Comment by Azulan on April 22, 2013 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

More book 2 speculation! I loved this podcast, good work!

Oh and I have book 2 speculation questions: Do you guys think we will get 2 new villains this book like we do with every other book? (Zhao/Zuko, Azula/Long Feng and Ozai/Combustion Man and more Azula). What two new characters are you most excited to see get developed and why?

Sweet, that sorts out next weeks Book 2 speculation question 🙂

AJ Reply:

(Don’t forget Tarrlok & Amon/Noahtok from LoK Season 1.)
    It might the Dark Spirit & Unalaq, Korra’s uncle.

Azulan Reply:

AJ, of course! Who could forget the blood-bending bros ;)?

I’m thinking the same thing too, but honestly it seems to obvious that those are the villains. I’m guessing that if either of them are baddies, there is a far more powerful Spirit in the background manipulating everything.

*Cough cough Koh cough cough*…

AJ Reply:

On the contrary, Koh seems like the more obvious choice when it comes to naming supernatural enemies.

6. Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on April 23, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

@azulaalwayslies it took me a while to realize that there were 2 villains in each book, (in book 1 of LOK it was amon/tarrlok) i wonder who will be the villain(s)…

Azulan Reply:

@airavatara Do you think there might be a human/spirit villain duo? Like Unalaq or however you spell his name, as well as the Dark Spirit :)?

Avatar Yangchen Reply:

that would be interesting to see, i think thats probably what will happen. i can see unalaq being a villai, but it could really be any character that we know or dont know yet.

AJ Reply:

It could be Unalaq’s children. (They seem to give off the same creepy vibe as the twins from ‘The Shining’.)

7. Combustion Man Said: Comment by Combustion Man on April 25, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

I love avatar origin speculation. Good to hear some at the start of this episode.
    My theory is that some cataclysm threw the elements out of control. Earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters threatened the planet. An energy bender somehow combined the powers of the early elemental benders to save the planet. The spirit world made the spirit reincarnate.

Either that, or an energy bender stole elemental powers, making the first avatar a villain.

8. Azulan Said: Comment by Azulan on April 25, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

Good thoughts there Combustion Man, you should check out my energybending speculation thread

\/ \/ \/

I’d love to hear your ideas :)!

9. Rocket Axxonu Said: Comment by Rocket Axxonu on December 12, 2016 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

I have to say, the openings for season 2 and 3 are probably among my favorite episodes. They both did such a great job in getting me excited for the rest of the season, with dramatic elements that completely made sense in regards to the endings of the previous seasons without being predictable. I liked that Aang didn’t really immediately go back to his usual happy, carefree self, and you really see the aftermath of what happened at the end of the previous season, his sense of guilt and physical challenges.

The development in terms of Katara’s relationship with her father was another thing that was also probably one of my favorite aspects of the episode, in that you really didn’t understand at first why she was acting the way she was toward him, and when it comes out, I think as Kelly said it wasn’t something that we might have expected, but it made complete sense, and helped further that sense of how family is such an important thing for Katara. (I also liked how in the confrontation with Hakoda, it wasn’t just her accusing him of doing something wrong, as she keeps talking, you realize she does understand why he left, but she still has this emotional reaction that she just can’t help, and it really takes talking it out to kind of work through it.)

The scene between Zuko and Ozai, and then Zuko and Azula—the first one was really interesting in that you see Ozai as an actually person, rather than just a face in shadow. Hearing him speak to Zuko like this makes him more of a person, rather than more of an idea, as he has been throughout the show. (I remember watching it for the first time, and really sort of feeling the pressure that Zuko feels, that even though he’s being praised, he’s still afraid of doing something wrong, or saying the wrong thing, because Ozai is such an intimidating presence and has proven so quick to turn on him.)

The scene with Zuko and Azula—completely agree with what was said here, it’s so powerful in the sense that it gets across just how smart Azula really is, and just how cruel she can be. (When I first saw this scene for the first time, when Azula first tells Zuko that she told Ozai what she did because Zuko seemed so worried about Ozai not accepting him, I remember feeling the same way as Zuko, pretty much certain she was lying, but as baffled as Zuko as to why. And when she explains the real reason—not only does it make complete sense and demonstrates Azula’s foresight, but the scene is just so chilling in the way that Azula really seems to take delight in this situation she’s put Zuko. As I think Kelly said, Zuko has been waiting to return to the Fire Nation and have his place restored, and Azula knows it, but on this pretense of helping him she finds a way to torment him, and she just enjoys herself doing it.)

But, anyway. Here’s a point of trivia I don’t think was mentioned, and I didn’t see it on the Avatar wiki:

When they’re on the Fire Nation ship, and Hakoda goes to speak to I think it was the captain of the other actual Fire Nation ship, the Fire Nation men mention Admiral Chan. Hakoda (or maybe it was the other guy, was that Bato? I can’t remember) answer that Admiral Chan had sent them separate orders from the rest of the fleet, and it’s the fact that Admiral Chan is apparently on leave that tips off the enemy that something is not right.

I’m guessing that this Admiral Chan is Chan’s father from The Beach, since Chan mentions that his dad is an Admiral. (I thought that was a funny little connection I didn’t pick up on until maybe the second time I watched the series. x3)