Avatar Online Podcast Episode 28

The-Last-Airbender-3
Listed as: Podcast

Avatar Online Podcast Episode 28 – November 18th 2012

The-Last-Airbender-3

Morgan (Airspeed Prime) is joined by Callum (Badgermole1), Rich (OG Sokka) and Kelly (Gemini530) to discuss something we have been avoiding for a while, The Last Airbender movie. We have an incredibly indepth discussion about the movie focusing on both the good and the bad aspects of the movie. We may never talk about the movie again on the podcast so don’t miss out on this. Includes special intermission.

00:00:00 – Opening
00:00:48 – Intro
00:01:58 – News
00:05:10 – Listener Question from They-Call-The-Wind-Mariah
00:09:32 – Intermission
00:10:05 – The Last Airbender Movie Discussion Opening and Negatives
01:39:02 -The Last Airbender Movie Discussion Positives and end of discussion.
END

Download the MP3 here (Right Click -> Save As)

Or just click once to listen.

Podcast is just over 185 minutes long

Podcast RSS Feed – http://feeds.feedburner.com/avatarpodcast

Itunes – http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/avatar-last-airbender-podcast/id512736597
Just search “Avatar Online in podcasts” Please give us some positive feedback to help spread the show. A 5 Star Review would be tremendous.

If you have any listener Questions or suggestions ask them here

Or the email address
avataronlinepodcast@gmail.com

Avatar Online Podcast Episode 4
Avatar Online Podcast Episode 18
Korra Roundtable Podcast - K405 Enemy At The Gates
The Movers Podcast Episode 50 - Young Justice

1. momo2009 Said: Comment by momo2009 on November 18, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

“aang we are looking for you” Callum good one 😛

momo2009 Reply:

rich 😛 sorry

2. momo2009 Said: Comment by momo2009 on November 19, 2012 at 8:35 am | Permalink

the main problem is that they attempt to make 1 movie for 1 book cause there not enough time.

momo2009 Reply:

appa a bus 😛 I love this podcast 😛 RICH IS GREAT And appa is ugly 😛 momo didn’t do anything 😉

Troy Reply:

Lemors talk in lemorick.

~ღєιяιиι-¢нαиღ~ Reply:

have you noticed that you’re the only one who has commented yet? XD

momo2009 Reply:

the first is the best 😛

~ღєιяιиι-¢нαиღ~ Reply:

😀

3. 10oop Said: Comment by 10oop on November 19, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

great episode yet again! 🙂

4. Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on November 19, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

lol morgan I cant believe you actually did that intermission, I was completely kidding and no wonder it took you until this morning (from where I am) to post it

Yeah, an idea popped into my head so it just went with it. It took longer because the upload failed twice at around 70% and I fell asleep during the third attempt and only posted it when I woke up.

5. OG Sokka Said: Comment by OG Sokka on November 19, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

Geez Holy Moly We Might be the TMNT I’m Raphael, Morgan must be Leo and Callum is Mikey, thats leaves Cutie Kelly as Donatello and Jordan as Master Splinter

6. Callum Fryars Said: Comment by Callum Fryars on November 19, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

OMG THE INTERMISSION THOUGH!!!

7. Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on November 20, 2012 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Omg I’m listening to this and just thinking “how many times do I have to repeat things!!” Sorry I was in the moment of the talking and after listening to this noticed how long I rambled on, and even cut people off. Half the podcast is me talking geez. Other than that it went really well, I actually became the movie zhao and kept repeating my point

OG Sokka Reply:

No Worries, we Love your talking

OG Sokka Reply:

you do talk a billion times a second lol we love u u so we deal with it

Greg2Bender Reply:

lol your right she does talk fast I didn’t even notice that until you pointed it out.

It must be an east coast (nyc) thing cause I’ve been told that before and that was mention on another podcast I listen to (tekzilla) too.

I do think most of the regulars on the podcast speed up a bit sometimes when you talk since your all super fans of the show which is good.

Inkasrain Reply:

I thought you were very eloquent, Kelly 🙂

8. Combustion Man Said: Comment by Combustion Man on November 20, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

I want to chime in on the listener question about birthdays. I don’t think it has anything to do with the passage of time or the months that were not shown. This is more of a business and marketing thing. You want to keep your characters within the age group of your target audience. That way, the stories and characters kinda stay within the same box. It can be re-introduced to the same audience over and over again. Most importantly, it does not date the merchandise. They want that stuff to keep selling. If you think about it, there are very very few cartoons where you see a birthday. Look at Bart Simpson, he’s been the same age for well over 20 years. The only toon I m is of where there is an obvious age progression is Ben 10. But even that has flashbacks to his you get days. Aang did get a little older from book 1 to book 3, because there is a noticeable change in his character model. But not so much to take the cartoon out of the age group.

Combustion Man Reply:

Sorry for the typos:
    *the only toon I know of where there is an obvious age progression…

*but even that has flashbacks to his younger days…

I’m not quite sure what exactly you are getting at, the show and Avatar as a whole is different from something like the simpsons because of their approach to continuity. The simpsons quite simply has none and in the end the events of any episode do not matter to any other as they have shown by the multiple retelling of certain events and the show having more episodes than days in a year yet no birthdays. Avatar gets deep into continuity establishing events in the past and future so the characters age does matter and while knowing their exact birthdate does not matter, them aging does. In the show it is not a big deal at all as it takes place over about 9 months so it is only a bit noticeable.

Avatar with Korra has set itself in stone as being more than just 1 show like The Simpsons, but rather a whole universe of it’s own. They did not show us more of Aang in shows, but instead went to Korra. I think it is not a good comparison at all.

So Korra may explore more of what you are getting at, with a 6 month gap between book 1 and 2 and probably more after that.

Combustion Man Reply:

Sorry dude, you totally missed my point here. I am not trying to compare the content of the shows in any way. I am only talking about the listener email, and why you don’t see a lot of birthdays in cartoons. A lot more goes into the making of a cartoon than just the art and story. You have to think about the business and marketing side of animation. I’m an animator so I have to be aware of those aspects. The age of your target audience, your timeslot, your merchandise all affect what goes into a cartoon. For example, I heard in an interview that they had to bump up the age of Ben Tennyson to 16, so that they can legally show him driving a car in the cartoon. Those types of decisions get made all the time. And when it comes to age and birthdays, they definitely want to keep it somewhere in the center of their target audience.

I completely understand your point about the ages of the characters, Korra proves that with the older cast as the fandom has grown with the show, but why birthdays.

As I said, in Avatar so far we have not seen a show cover multiple years, so a jump from say 10-16 as you mention with Ben 10 is important, but nothing like that has happened yet in Avatar beyond the jump to Korra which is completely new characters minus Katara and flashbacks, it is a different show. So in Avatar from the way they are doing the shows it is just a matter of Korra being 17 or 18 next season and so on, that does not change the age group as the audience will have waited the same amount of time or more for the next season to happen.
    So you are correct, but I feel not all of it applies directly to Avatar. I can see why they would not want to tell us, but since they never date events beyond us extending things based on characters ages it would never even need to come into play.

Back to the question that was asked, in the end the birthdays don’t really matter, but they would be nice to know. I can definitely see why they would not want to show a main characters birthday as if they mention one they would pretty much have to mention the others which would take time. Which is why even mentioning Birthdays in the Avatar world kind of backfired on them. The question asked is the natural one to come up, why do we know random firenation mans birthday and not Aang’s.

It is an interesting discussion though 🙂

9. Greg2Bender Said: Comment by Greg2Bender on November 25, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

I was finally able to finish listening to this podcast . I wanted re-watch the movie before I heard everyone opinions which took me a few days…
    But I really like every ones points good and bad about the movie. Everyone’s random comments through out the podcast are to funny. I really need to stop listen to the cast in public/work cause I just start laughing randomly which brings some odd looks my way.

When the movie came out all I really remember of the fandom was an explosion of negativity (some/or a lot of it deservedly so). But it did seem to come out more as just hate then actually criticism which I think the four of you did rather well.

This movie being produced is what really got me into the online fandom of the show since I started following websites just to get info on this movie. Which lead me to this site eventually. So that probably one of my main positives of this movie.

10. Hyriu 85 Said: Comment by Hyriu 85 on November 25, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Rich, I think it was, I agree with you that it looks like aang masted the Avatar State, which i didn’t like at all he was supposed to whipe them all out but instead just makes a wave and sets it down nice and gently so I agree with you on that. Over all I enjoyed the movie and bought it on DVD.

What do you mean “he was supposed to” ?
    Who said ?

11. Hannah230 Said: Comment by Hannah230 on November 28, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

I love this podcast!!
    I hate the movie!!!!!!!

12. Rocket Axxonu Said: Comment by Rocket Axxonu on December 8, 2016 at 5:31 am | Permalink

[I thought I’d posted this comment already, but I’m not seeing it. So if it shows up here twice or on the wrong podcast somewhere, I guess it can be deleted. Or maybe the site disallows posting on stuff this old?]

You know, I’d almost completely forgotten until now that part of the reason I really wanted to watch the Avatar series was because I wanted to watch this movie. (Because I knew how much it was hated, and I was curious to know why.) So from that standpoint, I guess I’m glad for its existence.

I’ve only been a fan of the series a little while now, so I’ve only seen the movie twice, once not too long after I watched the series for the first time, and again recently. The first time I wasn’t really a true fan yet (I was still in that early phase of being interested in the characters and casually interested in seeing more content), and the second time I was in full-on fan mode.

The first time I saw it, I didn’t hate it, but I found it a little tedious to sit through. (Some if not most of the conversations felt awkward/ unnatural to me, the characters, particularly Sokka and Katara, didn’t seem to fit at all with how I pictured them based on the show, and much of the story, it almost felt like they were just going from one thing to the next, just following the events from Book 1. My dad, after watching the movie with me [the second time I watched it], actually said about what I was thinking, that in some ways it felt like a high budget movie and in some ways it felt like a low budget movie.) Although, I didn’t really mind most of the canonical changes—it made sense to me they’d change some things to help it fit the format of the movie better, and even with changes that didn’t seem strictly necessary, I found many of them interesting.

The second time I watched it after having just watched the series again, and actually after having listened to this podcast. (And, after having gone through a kind of transformation to a vaguely curious, half-in, half-out kind of fan to a basically avid fan interested in most any Avatar content.) And, strangely, I actually found I enjoyed it quite a lot, and I didn’t feel that it was quite as bad of a movie as I had thought before. I just saw a lot more clearly the effort that had gone into it, and I appreciated more references and details that had probably gone over my head before. (I’m sure I didn’t notice the Hama reference. That was so awesome.) The conversations didn’t feel as awkward or forced as I seemed to remember, and I really liked getting to see the things that were different from the original series (like Zhao and Ozai’s conversations), and even though there wasn’t really a lot of humor, there were a few funny moments I hadn’t remembered that I thought worked well. (Although the lack of humor wasn’t really a problem for me, even the first time I saw it; even though that’s one of the main things that I love most about the original Avatar series, the kind of humor that works in animation most likely wouldn’t work in a live-action film, and I thought it was better they chose to handle it differently.)

There are definitely issues with it; as was pointed out here, not a lot of characters got a whole lot of development, Sokka being the prime example. (Although, strangely—after hearing the criticism of the actor’s performance here, I was watching him in particular to see my own response, and I guess I didn’t react quite the same way. He was very different in a lot of ways from Sokka from the show [much the way Katara had a very different feel from the Katara in the show, and Aang definitely did], but to me it didn’t feel like bad acting, it felt more like the director was intentionally trying to portray the character a little differently. Sokka’s protectiveness of Katara was made more obvious from the outset, and he seemed more capable as a warrior from the start, though for that same reason, you didn’t really see much in the way of growth from him as a character. His kind of angry moments and general paranoia came across as a little more serious, and less funny than it was in the animation, but that was probably what they were going for.) I hadn’t actually remembered the conversation between Sokka and Yue (The ‘If you met my grandmother, she would ask you’ conversation) from the first time I’d watched it, and this time I kind of liked it. (Was that from the original series? It was one of the few scenes in the movie that made me laugh. That, and the earthbender moment, though of course as was pointed out here, that probably wasn’t supposed to be funny. xD)

On the changes on the name pronunciations—I think maybe I had some minor reaction the first time I saw the movie, and thought it felt a bit awkward, but got used to it. The second time I watched it, I was paying closer attention, and realized the pronunciations really were more authentically Asian (at least from what I know from Japanese classes back in high school), and I kind of liked that.

On the fact that it was pretty much certain there wouldn’t be a sequel—the first time I saw it, I was okay with that, as I felt like I’d seen enough, but now I feel kind of let down. In spite of the first one’s flaws, it was a lot of fun to see the characters portrayed in a different medium, and the effects of the bending were awesome. My favorite part of the movie (both times I saw it) was the hook at the end, with Azula, and I regret we won’t get to see her in action. (Her, and Toph.)

Anyway, thanks for having this episode, it’s nice to hear an honest discussion of opinion on strong points and bad points of the movie without devolving to unsubstantiated expressions of pure hate. x3 I guess I ended up siding with Callum and Morgan on this one, but I enjoyed hearing everyone’s points.

I guess that’s all for the unmentionable topic. I won’t bring it up again, I promise. ;9 (Probably.)