Avatar Online Podcast Episode 26

220
Listed as: Podcast

Avatar Online Podcast Episode 26 – November 4th 2012

220

Morgan (Airspeed Prime) is joined by Callum (Airspeed Prime) as we return to the team that started the podcast. The latest Korra junior novel announcement is discussed which is followed by a few listener questions before we go indepth on 220 Crossroads of Destiny in out episode discussion. We also announce some future podcast plans near the end.

00:00:00 – Opening
00:00:48 – Intro
00:02:14 – News – Endgame Junior Novel announced as follow up to Revolution
00:11:50 – Listener Questions from Momo2009 and Trojan People
00:31:35 – Intermission
00:33:43 – Episode Discussion – 220 Crossroads Of Destiny
01:15:12 – Outro + some future podcast plans

END

Download the MP3 here (Right Click -> Save As)

Or just click once to listen.

Podcast is just over 70 minutes long

Podcast RSS Feed – http://feeds.feedburner.com/avatarpodcast

Itunes – http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/avatar-last-airbender-podcast/id512736597
Just search “Avatar Online in podcasts” Please give us some positive feedback to help spread the show. A 5 Star Review would be tremendous.

If you have any listener Questions or suggestions ask them here

Or the email address
avataronlinepodcast@gmail.com

BONUS/ Here is a video Callum edited together of a little experiment we did to get a bit of footage of us recording. Not something we are going to do many times or a hint that we will be doing video podcasts, just a thing we wanted to do.

Avatar Online Podcast Episode 11
Avatar Online Podcast - Admin Talk Episode 3
Avatar Online Podcast Episode 123
Avatar Online Podcast Episode 154 - Top 5 ATLA Music Lists

1. They-call-the-wind-Mariah Said: Comment by They-call-the-wind-Mariah on November 4, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

I think the Avatar Spirit did die, but was brought back to life with Aang. (That explains why Korra wasn’t born then.)
    Also, and this is a bit random, I always thought the Earth King’s name was pronounced Kie. Do you know where it’s pronounced? I watched the Ba Sing Se episodes and I couldn’t find where anyone said his name.

His name was never actually said by any character in the series. Only in the comics do the refer to him y his name.
    I have just always pronounced it that way as it seems to fit in with the other earth names.

As for the avatar spirit, it could definitely go either way. It all comes down to if the spirit water actually healed just Aang’s body or his body and the avatar spirit.
    I would lean towards my own theory as why was the spirit water not an option to heal the moon spirit with in 120. That to me suggests that it only heals the body and not the spirit, which is why it would have been a waste on the moon spirit’s koi fish form.

They-call-the-wind-Mariah Reply:

Ah, okay. I wonder where I got that pronunciation from.

Hm, haven’t thought about the koi fish. It is called SPIRIT water though. Maybe it needs to be handled by a waterbender with healing abilities? Would Aang have been healed if he fell into the pool? Yue was healed by the pool as a baby, but she was just sick, not dead. Katara didn’t try to heal the koi fish, we don’t know if it would have worked. Interesting conversation.

Another thing that would play a role is that in Escape From The Spirit world, the aim of that was for Aang to reconnect to the avatar spirit.
    If the water healed both, it would have also healed the connection. It makes more sense with that in mind that it healed Aang’s body and when the Avatar Spirit returned to him he had to spiritually and then physically reconnect with it.

Again it could work either way, but I think those web comics are given more meaning and importance if it only healed his body.

They-call-the-wind-Mariah Reply:

It is possible that we’re thinking more into this than the creators have. 🙂 Anyway, I think it’s possible that the spirit water healed both separately but didn’t have enough “juice” (lol) to heal the connection. She only had a small vial of it. And I don’t see how he wasn’t in the Avatar State. He was glowing. I think that, as the first time being in control of it, he wasn’t quite sure what to do/ overwhelemed with sudden power, which is why he was just floating there.

If he was in control the glow would not be present.
    As shown in 321 and other episodes with other avatars when an Avatar goes into the Avatar state on their own the glow goes on and then off again. Same to turn it off.
    The glow also is not always the Avatar State, but sometimes does just signify something spiritual. Which unlocking all the chakras is.
    In 220 if the glow went off then he would be in the Avatar State.

Because otherwise who do you explain how he got into the defense mechanism Avatar State. Yes he was in danger, but nothing had happened to directly threaten him yet.

They-call-the-wind-Mariah Reply:

I don’t remember any Avatar glowing twice in a row.
    I always thought that being in control of the Avatar State, they just used it to power up, so they wouldn’t use it for an extended amount of time. Like if they wanted a big wave, they would turn on the Avatar State for the amount of time it takes to get the wave going, then the momentum and their normal amount of bending would take care of the rest of the wave. Like I said earlier, Aang didn’t know what he was doing/ overwhelmed, so he wasn’t using it properly.

They-call-the-wind-Mariah Reply:

I popped in the last episode, and Aang did do enhanced bending after briefly glowing, but I didn’t see him glow a second time to turn it off. Also, from the time Aang hits the rock, through the fight with Ozai, he is glowing.

321 explains it the best we have

When he hits the rock, the process started in 220 of the energy flowing through all the chakras is finished and Aang can use the Avatar State at will. The defence mechanism version activates here as he is in danger from Ozai’s fire attack and the hit against the rock which is why the glow remains on during the finale battle, he is not incontrol here which is the trademark of the defence version.
    He snaps himself out after this just before he goes through with Killing Ozai. After the fight he activates the Avatar State on purpose for the first time and makes the water level rise which is clearly an Avatar Level waterbending move.

They key thing to all of this is that we have yet to see an Avatar activate the Avatar State on there own and keep it on for a long time like a fight. We have seen Roku use it quickly in 306, in the 201 montage we see some quick uses, in K109 Aang uses it for a longer time to keep his giant Air Ball up, though it is not clear when he deactivates the Avatar state here.
    Hopefully Korra’s overuse of the Avatar State in Book 2 of Korra will clarify this, and make us all look silly for this analysis, lol

They-call-the-wind-Mariah Reply:

Lol. I think our over analysis is already making us look silly. 🙂 I don’t agree that it’s the defense mechanism Avatar State in the fight with Ozai, but I have no more arguments, so I guess we’re at a stalemate. 🙂 It’s crazy how many interpretations one story can spawn.

How is it not the defence mecahanism in the final fight ? , the Avatar State voice is used, Aang had no intentions to kill Ozai and it was about to. I thought the whole point of the Avatar state being used in the fight was to contrast it’s intent with Aang’s true intentions and unwillingness to kill.

I would be very interested to hear why you think it is not the defence mechanism ?
    I see nothing saying otherwise.

They-call-the-wind-Mariah Reply:

Hm. I was thinking he was in control, just going along with what the previous avatars told him to do, but I guess he wasn’t really acting like himself.

2. momo2009 Said: Comment by momo2009 on November 4, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

i bet lin beifong going to die. 😛

Eska Reply:

You’re so mean!!!

Troy Reply:

It could happen better than other characters being Beifong had her arch in book one and she hasn’t a role in shipping unlike Mako.

They-call-the-wind-Mariah Reply:

They handled her bending being taken away like a death, so I don’t think she’ll actually die. That would be too repetitive for one character. 🙂

Troy Reply:

It would be repetitive. And I’m not against he character if I state that someone dies or is likely to die doesn’t mean I’m against them.

~ღєιяιиι-¢нαиღ~ Reply:

why, WHY are you doing this to lin? XD

momo2009 Reply:

well who else do we know can die? i guess the mean/bad spirit will be defeated. 😛

momo2009 Reply:

it just a guess 😛

They-call-the-wind-Mariah Reply:

If Bolin is finishing his arc, maybe him? Or anyone who finishes their character arc. I read that that’s how the main character in Psycho could die, and I think that’s why Jet could die. (Not that I want Bolin or anyone else to die.)

3. momo2009 Said: Comment by momo2009 on November 4, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

well that the only name that hasn’t been confirm for a 3 season 😛

4. KoolKorra Said: Comment by KoolKorra on November 4, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Ok, i was actually about to ask a question if a water tribe girl/boy was born while Aang was dead but then you answered it.

Anyway, nice explanation on the Avatar State.

Oh wait, i just got a question.

Over there, do you have daylight savings time? I want to know if daylight savings time is only in america or if it’s worldwide.

Callum Fryars Reply:

It’s worldwide.

KoolKorra Reply:

thanks Cal. I don’t even know why or how it started but it had something to do with war. oh wait, it’s obvious.

Back then before Thomas Edison, there was no light in nighttime so clocks had to be turned back in order to get to do more stuff.

Am i right?

momo2009 Reply:

How Daylight Saving Time Works
    During late Winter we move our clocks one hour ahead and “lose” an hour during the night and each Fall we move our clocks back one hour and “gain” an extra hour. But Daylight Saving Time (and not Daylight Savings Time with an “s”) wasn’t just created to confuse our schedules.

The phrase “Spring forward, Fall back” helps people remember how Daylight Saving Time affects their clocks. At 2 a.m. on the second Sunday in March, we set our clocks forward one hour ahead of Standard Time (“Spring forward,” even though Spring doesn’t begin until late March, over a week after the start of Daylight Saving Time). We “Fall back” at 2 a.m. on the first Sunday in November by setting our clock back one hour and thus returning to Standard Time.

The change to Daylight Saving Time ostensibly allows us to use less energy in lighting our homes by taking advantage of the longer and later daylight hours. During the eight-month period of Daylight Saving Time, the names of time in each of the time zones in the U.S. (map) change as well. Eastern Standard Time (EST) becomes Eastern Daylight Time, Central Standard Time (CST) becomes Central Daylight Time (CDT), Mountain Standard Time (MST) becomes Mountain Daylight Time (MDT), Pacific Standard Time becomes Pacific Daylight Time (PDT), and so forth.

History of Daylight Saving Time
    Daylight Saving Time was instituted in the United States during World War I in order to save energy for war production by taking advantage of the later hours of daylight between April and October. During World War II the federal government again required the states to observe the time change. Between the wars and after World War II, states and communities chose whether or not to observe Daylight Saving Time. In 1966, Congress passed the Uniform Time Act, which standardized the length of Daylight Saving Time.

Daylight Saving Time is four weeks longer since 2007 due to the passage of the Energy Policy Act in 2005. The Act extended Daylight Saving Time by four weeks from the second Sunday of March to the first Sunday of November, with the hope that it would save 10,000 barrels of oil each day through reduced use of power by businesses during daylight hours. Unfortunately, it is exceedingly difficult to determine energy savings from Daylight Saving Time and based on a variety of factors, it is possible that little or no energy is saved by Daylight Saving Time.

Arizona (except some Indian Reservations), Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and American Samoa have chosen not to observe Daylight Saving Time. This choice does make sense for the areas closer to the equator because the days are more consistent in length throughout the year.

Daylight Saving Time Around the World
    Other parts of the world observe Daylight Saving Time as well. While European nations have been taking advantage of the time change for decades, in 1996 the European Union (EU) standardized a EU-wide European Summer Time. This EU version of Daylight Saving Time runs from the last Sunday in March through the last Sunday in October.
    In the southern hemisphere, where Summer comes in December, Daylight Saving Time is observed from October to March. Equatorial and tropical countries (lower latitudes) don’t observe Daylight Saving Time since the daylight hours are similar during every season; so there’s no advantage to moving clocks forward during the Summer.

Kyrgyzstan and Iceland are the only countries that observe year-round Daylight Saving Time

Eska Reply:

5. momo2009 Said: Comment by momo2009 on November 5, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

hey it only a guess. LOL

6. momo2009 Said: Comment by momo2009 on November 5, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

@airspeed smile more next time 😛

Why ?

Callum Fryars Reply:

Because on a podcast thats a 100% audio, you need to look your best! duh.

Lol, exactly, the point of the video was to show what it is like when we record. Which means not acting differently just because there is a camera there.
    I get the feeling that Momo2009 was expecting me to be wearing a tux, looking directly into the camera with a cheesy grin on my face the whole time. Possibly a top hat also.
    When in fact it is just me sitting down to talk Avatar with some friends, which we happened to record.

Plus it is not like I look depressed, I laugh at points and make a few jokes myself. I doubt anyone who has ever been on a podcast has smiled through the whole thing, sometimes you just have to listen intently and not focus on smiling.

I will add this for momo
    :P:P:P

Callum Fryars Reply:

I agree. You weren’t depressed or anything close. I don’t think there was anything wrong with that video at all. But one question, is there something on your window. Or does the sky in Ireland really look like that? Oh and is there a boxed tree behind you?

That is just a starry design on the blinds on my windows.

Yes that is a christmas tree in a box. My room is pretty much used for storage so there is a lot of stuff like that taking up space.

Callum Fryars Reply:

Okay good. It was driving me crazy. I kept staring at your window thinking to myself that CANNOT be the sky!

They-call-the-wind-Mariah Reply:

Who needs the real sky when you have blinds with stars? 😉

Jadely Reply:

I loved the video it ,nice bonus indeed ! I like to watch/see the person talk while I listened to it , so it was pretty cool 😎 .
    And I think if Airspeed should have worn a tux and top hat he might have also add a fancy cane and monical as well 😛

momo2009 Reply:

Because appearance are important as my mother would say 😛 @airspeed

7. Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on November 7, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Wow in a way Im glad I missed out on this podcast
    I wouldn’t really want people seeing me and stuff I look awful in the morning (afternoon actually I just get up that late) , But Im sorry I missed it this weekend and Im sure ready for next weeks podcast!!

Don’t worry it was just something we did because it was just the two of us.
    It was such a hassle to do that it will probably not happen again.

momo2009 Reply:

just wear an amon mask 😛