Avatar Online Podcast Episode 19

Listed as: Podcast

Avatar Online Podcast Episode 19 – September 9th 2012

Morgan (Airspeed Prime), Callum (Badgermole1) and Rich (O.G ZuZu) are joined by the returning Kelly (Gemini530) to talk about the little news there is before a lengthy discussion on The Lost Adventures Comic and finally some listener Questions.

00:00:00 – Opening
00:00:48 – Intro, we recommend some shows for listeners to watch to possibly ease the wait for Korra
00:06:30 – News, The Promise Part 3 new panels, some new info on the Korra animatics
00:14:19 – Intermission
00:16:36 – Discussion Topic – The Lost Adventures Comic, It is quite long, but considering it is a large book and multiple stories it needed it. I felt while recording that we did rush it a bit so it was not even longer.
02:10:00 – Listener Question from Ricardo
02:14:10 – Listener Question from Droc Plug
02:18:45 – Listener Question from Momo2009
02:25:25 – Listener Question from Anon on Tumblr
02:33:50 – Outro

END

Download the MP3 here (Right Click -> Save As)

Or just click once to listen.

Podcast is just over 155 minutes long

Podcast RSS Feed – http://feeds.feedburner.com/avatarpodcast

Itunes – http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/avatar-last-airbender-podcast/id512736597
Just search “Avatar Online in podcasts” Please give us some positive feedback to help spread the show. A 5 Star Review would be tremendous.

If you have any listener Questions or suggestions ask them here

Or the email address
avataronlinepodcast@gmail.com

1. Avatar of Ricardo
    Ricardo Said: Comment by Ricardo on September 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

I’m sure I’ll love this. Especially as I chose it, lol. :P

2. Avatar of OG Sokka
    OG Sokka Said: Comment by OG Sokka on September 9, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

haha you can hear my dog barking at the chinese food delivary guy at the very begining of the opening.

Ricardo Reply:

What did you order? How was it?

Not sure if you can notice, but I also love Chinese takeaways. :P

3. Avatar of Kelly
    Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on September 9, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Listening now! oh god I hope I dont stink after 2 weeks of not doing this

OG Sokka Reply:

You did a great job Kelly, You no stink lol

Kelly Reply:

thanks! I feel as though I talk too much though not knowing how and when to end.

4. Avatar of Kelly
    Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on September 9, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Quick note guys! I Forgot to say something about the Lost adventures that I was dying to say on the podcast :/
    I feel as though Sokka OWNED this, not just his comedy, but I mean his characterization. His character is hit on the Nail and He is kinda the focus on parts of these comics, another reason I love the comics as Sokka is my favorite character.
    Though its important to note Every character is important. My mother and I were talking about The sitcom f.r.i.e.n.d.s the other day! and how the spin off of Joey wasn’t good and was canceled because of the latter. If its just about the funny guy it could be disastrous, you need that contrast with the whole cast to make one character personally stand out

Ricardo Reply:

I absolutely agree.

Wang Fire. 8-)

What more needs to be said? ;)

OG Sokka Reply:

YES Sokka pwned these comics, but Azula (to my dismay) was never drawn right and her characterazation was awful, to be polite.

Imagine a tv show called “Sokka” w/o the gaang 8pm fridays on NBC LOL

Ricardo Reply:

Probably a stand up comedy show, lol. :P

Would definitely get top ratings. ;)

To be fair she is done well in Going Home Again, sure her manipulations are not as serious as we expect with her trying to set up Zuko and Mai, but it is with the aim of furthering her plan of putting the blame on Zuko as she suspects Aang is still alive, which is perfectly Azula, at least for me. This fails and Zuko stays in the Earth Kingdom, either forces Azula to do something drastic in relation to Zuko or go with the plan with Zuko at a distance which leaves Azula in little control, which is not her.

She just happens to only be in the comics that have very different art styles, unfortunately :(

OG Sokka Reply:

First off you, shouldn’t you be sleeping by now mate? lol

secondly as I said in the show she was spot on in character but she looked just god awful in every panel. Azula is my beautiful princess not a drag queen, which she looks like in Going home again.

**no offence to dragqueens I quite like a good dragqueen in a platonic funny sort of way :)

I was just addressing your post
    “her characterazation was awful,”
    I was a bit confused with this and then you praising it on the show.

As for me sleeping, I don’t need that much sleep as I never feel that tired plus I am a bit of a night owl, lol

OG Sokka Reply:

I was just having a bit of fun Morgan, it was kind of a …in my head Azula is perfect joke. I tend to do that sort of humor a bit. just sarcasim not meant to be taken seriously ya know?

My sarcasm detector must be broken.

OG Sokka Reply:

Haha sometimes you remind me of Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory.

^^ thats a good thing btw :)

To be fair, that part of your post in no way comes across as being sarcastic at all.
    No winky face, tongue face or /sarcasm.

Huge difference between
    “Her characterisation was awful”
    and
    “Her characterisation was awful ;)”

5. Avatar of Kelly
    Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on September 9, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

39:35
    If you would like to Hear R2-D2 ;)

Kelly Reply:

sorry 39:30

OG Sokka Reply:

what happened at 39:30…. did you fart?

Kelly Reply:

no LOL, I meant Its not 39:35 with R2-D2 it was 39:30 where you hear it, I put the wrong time

Hannah230 Reply:

that makes sense.

Callum Fryars Reply:

Oh no! 0.0

6. Avatar of Kelly
    Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on September 9, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

my voice is very choppy, Its because I kept looking down and reading instead of talking INTO my mike, so I apologize for the choppiness if you cant understand me

Hannah230 Reply:

Don’t say that, you did great.

Yeah, you were great, no need to overanalyse yourself :)

Kelly Reply:

Thank you both!

Ricardo Reply:

I saw this comment before starting to listen to the podcast, and you know how it is when something is pointed out, one just can’t help but strain one’s ears to try to notice it. :P

However, I hadn’t noticed anything strange about your voice or the quality (‘choppiness’). Rest assured, you were fine, to say the least. :)

7. Avatar of Kelly
    Kelly Said: Comment by Kelly on September 9, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Another thing I forgot to mention
    Anyone else realize that for all of Book 3 Joodee is mostly the earth Queen?? I just kinda noticed And I find that kinda hilarious, and yet really sad for Ba Sing se :(

Wow, never thought of that at all.
    Joo Dee number 1 in charge of Ba Sing Se until the OWL take it back.

As Callum would say, that is another thing that Sucks in Ba Sing Se.

Callum Fryars Reply:

You beat me too it! :)

Ricardo Reply:

Azula was also temporarily the Earth Queen. ;)

8. Avatar of Droc Plug
    Droc Plug Said: Comment by Droc Plug on September 9, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Holy smokes you guys are the marathon runners of podcasts, heck I’m surprised you didn’t take a second intermission. Way to go!

Yeah we may need to change the time when we take our intermission in the future.
    With little news the Intro and News sections go by very quickly.

Plus we love the comics :)

Ricardo Reply:

I agree, that intermission is quite skewed and out of place.
    Although two intermissions would work, you guys probably don’t want to be sitting down talking on Skype for too long. :P

Perhaps an intermission in the middle, so no set place. For this one, an intermission just when you start the Book 2 comics would probably be a good place? You’ll also get to talk about the previous events, and what’s going to come with the other hosts.

Though for a set place, what do you think about an intermission just before the Listener Questions section? You do seem to be getting more questions, and the answers seem to be getting lengthier. ;)

I would never want to do 2 intermissions, 1 is definitely enough, considering what you hear in the intermission is only a fraction of how long it actually is.

The problem with taking a break in the middle is that we never know how long a podcast will be until very near the end, final listener question territory.
    We probably will end up taking the break just before listener questions.

Ricardo Reply:

Oh right. I underestimated the length of the intermissions then.

Yeah, I see what you mean. It’ll also depend on how planned out the podcasts are. At the moment I just assume that you guys have a brief chat beforehand then get into the podcast, so without a schedule it’s hard to say how long the podcast will be until its nearly finished.

Though it’ll depend on whether you guys feel the need for a change in the intermissions.

Perhaps the current place when you have a bit of news discussion or something, then change it to before the Listener Questions section when you have less news to discuss.
    It should work out fairly well, since the podcast topic this week was a fairly long one.

9. Avatar of Droc Plug
    Droc Plug Said: Comment by Droc Plug on September 9, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Oh and thanks for reading my question.

10. Avatar of Brandy
    Brandy Said: Comment by Brandy on September 9, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

I’ll try to give this a listen sometime soon. I’m sure it’ll be awesome!

11. Avatar of Ricardo
    Ricardo Said: Comment by Ricardo on September 10, 2012 at 3:24 am | Permalink

I didn’t expect Callum to name two British shows. :P

I ended up with a list of a wide variety of shows to watch. O.o

Also, thank you Kelly! For suggesting FMA. I was just waiting for someone to say that, lol.
    There’s also a movie that goes with it which is canon. :)

Kelly Reply:

Yeah i heard! I keep forgetting to watch it But when I get the time I will!

Ricardo Reply:

Did you also watch the original version, or just the Brotherhood?

Avatar of

momo2009 Reply:

i watched both, and i found the brotherhood to be more exciting and interesting, the original wasn’t bad, but the ending felt missing and the movie was okay. The brotherhood ended with a good ending showing how the main character was willing to lose his power for his brother.

Kelly Reply:

I watched FMA A really long time ago and only half way. I very recently watched Brotherhood and I agree with momo2009, Brotherhood was better! Very great ending too even though idk how FMA ends though. all I know is brotherhood is more accurate to the manga!

Avatar of

momo2009 Reply:

fma took a different route halfway through the anime, that was because the manga wasn’t finish yet so they created an alternate ending. thus i felt it wasn’t as polish and soul searching as the Brotherhood, which was close to the manga and the author message.

Callum Fryars Reply:

Well I’m a BBC junkie! :D

12. Avatar of
    momo2009 Said: Comment by momo2009 on September 10, 2012 at 7:50 am | Permalink

I like the mutant ideas. And an improvement on chi blocking is cool, but come on the increase in technology is way too easy. I shouldn’t had mention that, all you did was agreed with it. There wasn’t really much of a discussion. ;)

Ricardo Reply:

Haha, that’s what I was thinking. :P

But then I also have trouble thinking up anything that could defeat benders in a battle, constantly.
    I think that magic (bending) and just the supernatural are far too powerful. That paired with the fact that we don’t really understand it beyond what is told in the show makes it a difficult question to answer.
    Which would also mean that an answer could easily be given to us if they decide to add anything into the show that defeats benders easily.

Mutation is a way, but I don’t think it’s a reliable method, and I definitely wouldn’t want to see Avatar taking that approach.
    Imagine Amon recruiting tens of thousands of unique mutated humans. It’d be a horror film, lol. :P

Ok, Momo, you come up with a new way to defeat bending that does not involve technology, Chi Blocking or Energybending.

Unless you introduce new powers as was mentioned there is not much else other than new tech. Or new Chi Blocking ways.

Even if you did not mention tech we all would have said that.

Avatar of

momo2009 Reply:

I bet that season 2 of lok will show that the “spirit” have some unique ability that can fight even with bender and the avatar. See, there one thing you didn’t mention! think outside the box :P

Ah the things you can come up with by being completely non descriptive….

Maybe a flying lemur can do a thing that does a thing to a bender ;)

Ricardo Reply:

Perhaps just extreme agility and swordsmanship.
    Jet did do quite well against Aang initially.

Though now that you mention animals, perhaps having a animal guide like a komodo rhino or polar bear dog could even the odds (assuming that the bender that you’re fighting doesn’t also have a animal with them). :P

Avatar of

momo2009 Reply:

there is one more way to defeat benders, make them drink cactus juice. :P

13. Avatar of Callum Fryars
    Callum Fryars Said: Comment by Callum Fryars on September 11, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

This is one of the episodes where I’m totally out of it!

Kelly Reply:

I blame murderous decepticons

Callum Fryars Reply:

That must be it!

14. Inkasrain Said: Comment by Inkasrain on September 11, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

To a certain extent, I think you guys are missing the point of Korra’s air-punch. She wasn’t expecting to be able to bend at all at that point– that punch was just a desperate, instinctual attack, which happened to access her buried ability to airbend. It was a moment and an action driven by emotion (spirit, if you want to go there) not by technique or calculated thinking, and that’s what really makes it significant. (And anyway, since we’ve seen often enough that fire is Korra’s preferred element by a good margin, it makes sense that the technique she instinctively reached for was related to firebending.)

And while I agree that trying to bend an element with forms that don’t correspond to its nature probably aren’t as effective, I personally don’t think that any of the elements actually “care” what motions benders use to manipulate them. The innate ability to bend is what makes a bender, and what makes an Avatar. 99% of the time that ability is accessed through specific martial arts, but I think that is much more a result of human trial and error than it does the element of air really digging Bagua.

I did actually mention your first point (paragraph) in the podcast, but to be fair to use we answered the question we were asked, about other elements styles being used with different elements.
    We will happily discuss that punch itself next episode if you wish ?

Inkasrain Reply:

That’s true, Korra’s air-punch (it does sound weird, I’ll give Rich that much!) wasn’t a standard example of the “wrong” technique being used to bend an element. The reason I made that distinction is because I’m very fond of that moment in the show– it’s all about desperate emotion and growth for Korra, and the fact that she airbends in the “wrong” way is such a great illustration of that.

It might make an interesting discussion point, though :-)

Ricardo Reply:

Regarding your second paragraph.
    I agree that the elements probably don’t “care” what form one uses when bending that element.
    But the form that the benders use is optimised for that bending style, and it fits its personality.
    So airbending would be utilise evasion, and so does Ba Gua Zhang.

So I think that any form can be used to bend, but the effects may not be as good as opposed to using a form that suits the style. Which was what was said in the podcast. :P

Kelly Reply:

I agree with whole thing actually, I didnt get my point across well in the podcast so here it goes
    I agree that the punch was an instinctual movement! and That in the moment she used what she had just discovered, so even though it wasnt traditional movement it made complete sense and even represented Korra as a character, like what Inkasrain said
    and I agree with ricardo too, in how its not the martial art that makes the bending, BUT bending that makes the martial art. What I mean is that bending can work in many ways, but the martial art we know used for each element (example tai chi and water) is the best way to use that element in its true nature. a flowing form for a flowing element. But its absolutely possible to punch air and what not, just not as effective and not what air necessarily represents.

Avatar of

momo2009 Reply:

I hope they use a different martial art for each bending type, cause i believe that would make it more unique.