Avatar Online Podcast Episode 187

Listed as: Podcast

Avatar Online Podcast Episode 187 – March 25th 2018

Morgan and Greg discuss the latest Avatar news including the potential for ATLA Funko Pops and new Pins, we then dive into this week’s discussion topic – Azula and how they will handle her development going forward.

Next week is the return of The Movers Podcast where we will be reviewing the first 3 episodes of Dragon Ball Z Kai.

Download the MP3 here (Right Click -> Save As)

Podcast is just over 85 minutes long

Podcast RSS Feed – http://feeds.feedburner.com/avatarpodcast

Stitcher – http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/jordan-garn/avatar-the-last-airbender-and-korra-online

Itunes – http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/avatar-last-airbender-podcast/id512736597

Just search “Avatar Online in podcasts” Please give us some positive feedback to help spread the show. A 5 Star Review would be tremendous. If you have any listener Questions or suggestions ask them here

Or the email address avataronlinepodcast@gmail.

Avatar Online Podcast Episode 12
Korra Roundtable Podcast - K303 The Earth Queen
Avatar Online Podcast Episode 137
Avatar Online Podcast Episode 148

1. Chillest_Syd Said: Comment by Chillest_Syd on March 25, 2018 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

As always great podcast!

I think this topic needs to be addressed ASAP in the comics! Behind finding Ursa, the biggest plot point left from the show was Azulas story. I think Ursa, Iroh, Ty Lee and Mai should be the main characters who show her what it means to care about someone. Ursa and Iroh should focus on how Ozai was a terrible person while Ty Lee and Mai should focus on showing her that friendship is about caring for people. Iroh could finally show Azula how wise he is and that family connection could drive her to understand him.

But idk, anything about Azula would be great at this point and I could honestly see all the characters have a great moment. Katara and Azula could have a great moment like how Zuko and Sokka had a moment in The Search. This should take a whole comic series imo and I really want to see what they do. The new writers should do their research on Azula and handle her with care.

In regards to her overall arch, I agree with Morgan that the writers should give her a subtle arch and have her around the gaang as the person who can make the hard choices. She could help advise Zuko when ruling bc she could help run things efficiently and demand respect. I would hate to see her stay as the villain and have her bending taken away because she is so talented.

2. george Said: Comment by george on March 25, 2018 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

ATLA Funko Pops would be amazing and Azula’s development could be similar to Bakugo from My Hero Academia.

3. Brittany Melia Said: Comment by Brittany Melia on March 25, 2018 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Great discussion! In analyzing Azula and why she is the way she is, I don’t know if Ozai is entirely responsible for her manipulative personality even as a child (could be genetics and she was just predisposed towards behaviour like Ozai’s while Zuko is genetically more like Ursa), but, regardless, I think he certainly nourished it. Ozai always praised Azula for being a firebending prodigy, and her being better than everyone by whatever means necessary was a way to get positive attention from him. Meanwhile, everyone else in her life was kind of turned off by how intense she was (even her mother to a degree, perhaps not thinking she was a monster, but certainly that something was wrong with her), so, in her mind, using fear was the only way to have relationships with people. Like you guys said, she’ll need to learn to have relationships that aren’t based on fear if she has a hope of changing for the better.

I agree that Ursa will be at the root of Azula making any sort of turn towards good. Azula seems to see Kiyi as a sort of replacement daughter for Ursa, so I don’t know what might happen between them. I don’t know if Azula is a danger to Kiyi at this point or if seeing Ursa would send Azula over the age again.

Team Avatar do seem willing to embrace Azula if she does make some necessary changes. Maybe not hang out with her telling camp stories, but at least accept that she’s changed. I think the only two who would be reluctant to forgive Azula are Mai and Ty Lee who she arguably tormented the most and for the longest.

Overall, though, I can see them going either way with Azula, changing for the better or becoming worse and worse until she meets her end. I suppose it all comes back to, like Zuko said, what happiness means for Azula and if it aligns with the good.

Stefan Reply:

Here is what Gene Yang said about Azula and Zuko’s relationship in an interview with Avatar Wiki:”. The dynamic betweeen Azula and Zuko was difficult to write. We wanted it to feel new and fresh, not be a repeat of what had come before, but at the same time feel like a natural outgrowth of what came before. We do want to explore Zuko and Azula’s relationship a little more. It’s been a lot of fun, challenging, too.”

4. Steve Said: Comment by Steve on March 25, 2018 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

I said it once, I’d say it again, we really could have used Azula’s advise and wisdom during the whole Red Lotus and Kurvira situation.

5. Rocket Axxonu Said: Comment by Rocket Axxonu on April 8, 2018 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

Yeah, never get tired of in-depth conversations on this topic.

I’m really curious exactly what direction they’ll go with Azula’s story, exactly how they’ll go about her portrayal going forward and where she ends up. I think I have to agree with Morgan that I doubt she’ll ever be a one-hundred-percent good guy in the truest sense, but I do think it would be interesting if she was able to learn to care about Zuko and others enough that her goals might be more aligned with theirs, enough that her more ruthless advice might be called for at times.

On the other hand, considering exactly where she’s come from and what she’s done in the past, it feels like navigating even a partial redemption for her while keeping her believably in-character may be a bit delicate/challenging. Throughout her life, it’s been pretty clear that she’s only ever cared about people so far as they were useful to her, and even at the point of her breakdown, where her lack of real relationships left her completely alone, she never came to a point of acknowledging her way was wrong, or feeling the slightest remorse for the way she treated Zuko and others.

The Ursa-Azula relationship does feel like it will have to be central to Azula’s story, whatever it turns out to be. (Even where Mai and Ty Lee are concerned—though they themselves are afraid of Azula coming after them for retribution, Azula seems to harbor little resentment if any toward them. In The Search, she places the blame for their betrayal on Ursa.) I wonder what may get through to Azula, what she really needs—even if Ursa is able to prove to Azula that she really does care about her, Ozai’s philosophy that caring about people is weakness still seems ingrained in her. It seems like Azula needs to learn to care about people, and without thinking it makes her ‘weak,’ and also accept other people caring about her as something to be glad of, rather than disdainful and/or suspicious of.

Anyway, definitely a lot of different things they could do, with lots of different nuances. (Curious to get the backstory on Azula’s changed mind between The Search and Smoke and Shadow.) It’s definitely something to look forward to.