Next Avatar Comic Series announced “The Search” – Search for Ursa

The-SEARCH

Yes that title is indeed correct, Zuko’s mother is finally going to be answered. Via a comic as most of us expected.

The SEARCH

I assume this is the cover without the titles on it.

Now bullet points of info from the interview.

• There will be some “supernatural” IE spiritual events here
  • Some of the political situation from The Promise will continue here
  • The Search focuses mainly on Zuko and Azula, Aang and co will be present, but the royal siblings drive the story.
  • Zuko will continue to adapt to his role as Fire Lord
  • The Search takes place immediately after The Promise ends
  • Gene Yang and Team Gurihiru remain as the creative team
  • We will see how Azula’s stay in the mental institution has affected her
  • Katara and Aang’s relationship will develop more, but will be a very minor aspect of the story
  • Toph also only plays a minor role

1. Avatar of Nomad Nate
    Nomad Nate Said: Comment by Nomad Nate on June 27, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

This should be yet another compelling story to add to the comic collection! Although the story will be told in the book, I hope there will be some reference to it in the next season of Korra.

Jacob Reply:

How do you get the comics

Julla Reply:

Depending on where in the world you live, you might find them at any major comic book store. Personally, I purchase mine from Amazon.com.

Meelo Reply:

Thanks

avatarclara Reply:

me too! That’s how I got my Promise part 1 and 2, and my art of the animated series books :)

FireSageGuntur Reply:

I got all my books from Amazon as well. My favorite is the Art of the Animated Series though. It’s so full of information and is very beautiful to look at. It’s the best “Art Of” book that I have encountered so far.

AVATAR FAN 101 Reply:

same here i get my books from amazon

Nomad Nate Reply:

Yep, Amazon has them all. The ones that have been released that is..

Water-Tribe Heart Reply:

im going to order some from amazon soon, i love this series. and finally i can bridge the gap between defeting Ozai to Korra!

Luca Reply:

I get mine from Ebay :)

avatarhaley Reply:

I really hope they do mention it on Legend Of Korra

2. Avatar of Team Avatar
    Team Avatar Said: Comment by Team Avatar on June 27, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Well I’m super excited!

Luca Reply:

Me too…… :)

3. Avatar of FireSageGuntur
    FireSageGuntur Said: Comment by FireSageGuntur on June 27, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

I cannot wait for this series! This is possibly the most anticipated moment in Avatar history! I’m sure the creators won’t disappoint!

4. Avatar of Airspeed Prime
    Airspeed Prime Said: Comment by Airspeed Prime on June 27, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Any thoughts on Azula’s Lightning bending, using both hands and see looks to be holding it as a ball.
    New ability or just artistic licence ?

Nomad Nate Reply:

I’m assuming she has advanced her abilities in lightning bending and can do whatever she appears to be doing with the orbs of lightning on the cover. But there is the possibility that we may be over-analyzing it and its just artistic license at play

FireSageGuntur Reply:

I think that is on the cover just to beautify it. If so, It worked! This cover looks amazing. It looks almost as if she is “charging” the lightning or something. However, it is completely possible that it is a new technique that she has developed. We know from ATLA that Azula is an extremely talented bender and could easily catch onto a new skill like that.

Nomad Nate Reply:

Maybe she turned her life around after being in the mental institution, found a better source for her fire bending (the Dragon Masters) like Zuko did, and from that she may have developed a new technique or she is just more powerful from having been enlightened by the Masters. It’s a far fetched theory because we don’t know what the Masters would think of her ancestry and recent history. But it IS a great cover no matter what it could be!

FireSageGuntur Reply:

I doubt she is reformed based on both the cover (she looks like a villian, stalking the hero in the background) and the fact that she had a literal total mental breakdown at the end of ATLA. However, she obviously missed Ursa just as much as Zuko did as well because she was extremely sad and depressed when she had the vision of her in the mirror in the finale. That was a powerful scene, and I think she might be a tiny, tiny, tiny bit remorseful. I don’t think so, but who knows? We all know the creators can put crazy plot twists where we least expect them.

Nomad Nate Reply:

Good observation and another good point! None of us will really know until we read it.

But about the mental breakdown…I personally think it actually laid the foundation for her to “rebuild” herself as a better person. As if the breakdown sort of released the bottled up anger and evil. This would be a pretty complex character development and would require there being a dual plot (The Search & The Reformation). Maybe a whole different series! Who knows? None of us do.

Meelo Reply:

Anyone else reckon shes just gone eve more nuts and her firebending is reflecting her crazyness? :/

Nomad Nate Reply:

She could be, but if she’s still a villain it’ll be pretty tough because she doesn’t have the Fire Nation behind her anymore as an evil force. Unless Mai and Ty Lee join her again.

10oop Reply:

Like Yukone, i think she just has a certain and amazing gift.

avatarclara Reply:

I think it would be really funny if Azula acted like she was on cactus juice, but i know that’s not going to happen :D I can’t wait for this!!!

Kelly Reply:

personally I think thats her just getting ready to strike. She probably practiced and gotten better at holding the lighting, Although it is strange that they are in spheres, Its kinda cool.
    When it comes to that I have no clue why its like that

Meelo Reply:

I hope she is still slightly mentally unhinged. She was even more of a villain in her last scene with Katara and Zuko.

avatarclara Reply:

her outfit looks different…

Avatar Yangchen Reply:

it would be cool if she could create ball lightning but who knows what the mental institution did to her

5. Avatar of BadJokeAmon
    BadJokeAmon Said: Comment by BadJokeAmon on June 27, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Yay! I waited since 2008 to find out what happened. I can’t wait to buy this.

economybender Reply:

Yeah, I waited it since I was stil a Junior High school Student. Then, WOW, I don’t realize that Now, I will find out those cliffhangers answer when I am a university student NOW.

WOW WHAT SUCH AN EPIC THING WITH MY REAL LIFE STORY AND THE AVATAR STORY HOOOO HOOOO………..

DO YOU EVER FEEL THIS IS EPIC AND IT HAS BIG INFLUENCE FOR YOUR REAL LIFE GUYS ???????

avatarclara Reply:

well duh. IT’S ALL I THINK OF. everyday. anywhere. particularly in math.

economybender Reply:

I felt in economics too hhe

Avatar Annaliese Reply:

Yeah the way I see it is that I heard of the series when it was going to premier and I missed it, waited a year and watched it on DVD, same with book 2 and 3…MISERABLE! Then I waited for korra to air and I missed that too, now I find out that these comics are just what I have been dreaming for, definately sick of being the last one to know this stuff :( Regardless this series has me consumed and I am always trying to sneak little quotes from it into my conversations with people just to make myself giggle :D

Just keep an eye on this site and you will be up to date on Avatar from here on out.

Here is a brief recap of all the main Avatar Content

Shows
    ATLA – 61 episodes (and there is the Unaired Pilot)
    Korra – 12 episodes out so far with 40 still to come

Comics
    The Lost Adventures is out
    The Promise Part 1 and 2 are out already
    Part 3 is out September 26th in comic stores and October 9th elsewhere
    The Search is at least 2 parts and part 1 will most likely be out Early 2013.

Webcomics (Available on youtube)
    Escape From The Spirit World 1- 4

Other
    Avatar The Last Airbender The Art Of The Animated series, is a great book for some insight into the production of the show.

The Lost Scrolls collection would be the only other Avatar Book I would call essential as there are some very cool exclusive facts in this book.

Meelo Reply:

Join me and the rest of the Avatar fans who’s been dedicated to watching it since it first aired….

6. Avatar of Admin / Jordash
    Admin / Jordash Said: Comment by Admin / Jordash on June 27, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Yeah I think Azula is one of the most interesting characters I’m looking forward to see in this.

FireSageGuntur Reply:

I agree. Azula was such a dynamic villain in the series. I’m really excited to see where her story goes. Does she reform, or does she continue her evil ways, or a combination of both? And one major question: how did she escape from the institution/prison?

FireSageGuntur Reply:

Yes!!! I’m finally a bender!!! Another huge thanks to the admins and moderators for handling that cyber attack so well and giving us the best fan site out there, and to my fellow fans as well. Keep it up guys!!!

avatarclara Reply:

Congrats :) welcome to the club

FireSageGuntur Reply:

Thanks! :)

AvatarKorra1997 Reply:

yea i agree i wonder if she will continue to be evil and crazy and you know another thing im wondering is if she sees ty lee or mai and flips out? really leaves you wanting to read it

7. Avatar of AvatarKorra1997
    AvatarKorra1997 Said: Comment by AvatarKorra1997 on June 27, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Oh cant wait ive been looking forward to The Promise part 3 and now after that comes out i have more stuff to look forward to too! And i cant forget about looking foward to Legend of Korra Book 2 too. Honestly i dont know which im hoping for more!

8. Avatar of TeaBender
    TeaBender Said: Comment by TeaBender on June 27, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Yay I can’t wait to see Azula again! I think that if she were to be placed in a loving, caring environment (quite the opposite of what she grew up in), she may be able to recover and even re-emerge as a more humble Azula. I feel that Ursa may play a part in this too. If Ursa is found, perhaps she can help the most in helping Azula recover. The girl did seem like she missed her mom just as much as Zuko. I just want to see her redeemed because I thought she was such an interesting and awesome character, and like her brother, she too should get a chance to change her ways.

economybender Reply:

Is Ursa a White Lotus member too ?

avatarclara Reply:

that would be so awesome :D

Luca Reply:

Yeah…….. But i dont think so Azula was such a horrible child to her mother in Zuko’s flashbacks. Honestly i dont think Azula will ever turn good :(

9. Avatar of Wang Fire
    Wang Fire Said: Comment by Wang Fire on June 27, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

Finally.. more good news! They need to keep it going on and on and on!!
    EPIC STORY!

10. avatarclara Said: Comment by avatarclara on June 28, 2012 at 4:33 am | Permalink

Azula is back! Woohoo!! can’t wait

11. Chrisxtaph Said: Comment by Chrisxtaph on June 28, 2012 at 6:21 am | Permalink

where can I download the episodes of AVATAR: LEGEND OF KORRA???
    please tell me if you know anything!!! please!!!!

12. Avatar of Coolfireazula
    Coolfireazula Said: Comment by Coolfireazula on June 28, 2012 at 8:55 am | Permalink

I can’t wait!!

13. Avatar of Julla
    Julla Said: Comment by Julla on June 28, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Is there an estimated publication date available?

Nothing has been said yet, But I would estimate that there will be the same gap between The Promise Part 3 and The Search Part 1 as the parts of the promise.
    So My Guess is Late January, continuing the 1 every 4 months pattern we have.

Julla Reply:

Ok, thanks.

Meelo Reply:

Thats actually not too bad a wait….

14. Avatar of economybender
    economybender Said: Comment by economybender on June 28, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

hmm, I think it is still so far. But with our buzy activities, we can forget the long time for waiting.

btw, where is TLOK making of legend article ?

Just click the “See All Avatar news” button under the recent news posts and you can see the archive of news posts

economybender Reply:

okay, thank you

btw, I need some advice from you, I will PM you

15. fairladyz2005 Said: Comment by fairladyz2005 on June 28, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

It’s good to see some positivity about this (and about Korra’s finale). I’ve been feeling a little down lately taking with some fans who haven’t been enjoying the new stuff as much as I have. And while I have a few reservations about Yang being about to pull off the story, I’m so glad Zuko will finally find his mom.

I definitely agree here, some of the fandom just love to complain, they seem to forget about the good parts and just focus on the negative.

The finale is not perfect, but it is still a brilliant finale.

But the reaction to this book has been shocking IMO, the whole fandom has been asking this question and you hear things like
    “Yeah, I will read it whenever”
    The lack of excitement for them just because they are comics is pretty insane.
    The hate towards the comics is something that really annoys me about some parts of the fandom.

I am just as excited for The Promise Part 3 and The Search as I am for Book 2 of Korra.

Meelo Reply:

I agree!! Why are people not excited about the comics?! I treat them just like an episode! And what up with people not buying the comics!? There totally cheap, and can be bought all over the world from amazon! There is no excuse! SUPPORT THE AVATAR TEAM! :D

avatarclara Reply:

i would have thought that they would become even more excited because of the comics :(

AUTUMN Reply:

i would get every comic if i could but i don’t get any allowens, i’m to young to have a job ,but i still get what i can by making my dad think of the comics of books and he doesn’t mind getting me that ,it sometimes,and most ogf the time good to be daddy’s little girl.but maybe the people who don’t get the comics don’t have enough money to buy or order them.:/

\

TeaBender Reply:

I completely agree with you both Airspeed and fairladyz2005. When I found out that “The Search” would be coming out, I got really excited and told some of my friends about it and well…..their negativity towards the comics made me feel bad for sharing the information with them and left me a bit down for a while. Yes, I know the comics haven’t been perfect, but I’m still excited for The Promise Part 3 and The Search because they continue the ATLA story and they answer a question we’ve all wanted to know for so long! It makes me happy to see so many enthusiastic responses on this page! :)

economybender Reply:

Yes, I really disappointed, Why a lot of my friends who are the fans for avatar too have so very very LOW APPRECIATION TO THE CONTINUATION OF AVATAR STORY ?

They said ANIMals in Korra are ridiculous if it is combined with sato mobiles, SO THEY DON’T WANT TO CONTINUE TO WATHC IT AGAIN (I DON’T KNOW) even read the comics. THEN THEY JUST FOCUS ON UNIMMPORTANT THINGS, then it is not the focus of the story, which is not the essence of the story, why so many people don’t want try to understand the essence value of the story. Also, I feel they have bad sense of art, and they are less appreciative people

economybender Reply:

To make great art work is not just easy !!! Then, it not just art work, but it has big impact to the human beings, it is fullfilled human needs for entertainment and it also help move and grow the economy, because if so many people appreciate and buy so high value of artwork, it helps, artist and their management or enterprise to develop their enterprise and it helps creates jobs then reduce the unemplyment. So, it also has big impact for economy. However just a little people aware about this (hate that). Okay, maybe its materialistic but, if so many people aware, appreciate and buy their art work (for example just like avatar), it will helps some or more enterprise, artist, or liitle people with less class economy to increase their welfare (let’s say it will help nicklodeon, dark horse, the creators, and the other many workers who have hard work to create that avatar story, and also help grow this website tooo).

Avatar of

momo2009 Reply:

well it our opinion about how the finale could have been better written. and many of my friends didn’t like how the comic were written by someone else and the character were writen differently from they were in the show.

But i still support the show and the comic.

16. Avatar of sydmun17
    sydmun17 Said: Comment by sydmun17 on June 29, 2012 at 12:23 am | Permalink

Is there a release date? It’s probably after the The Promise series ends I would imagine

Nomad Nate Reply:

See Airspeed’s reply to Julla’s comment above :)

17. Andrew Said: Comment by Andrew on June 30, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

Does Azula have a scar on her face in that cover?

On a side note, in the final duel between Zuko and Azula on the tv series, I felt cheated that their final duel was never completed after Azula cheated and Katara had to chain her. I would like to see a duel between Zuko and Azula where there is a clear winner (Zuko).

Ricardo Reply:

I think that battle was very well done, and also shows the deviousness of Azula.
    If it had continued between Azula and Zuko, Zuko would just have redirected the lightning at Azula, killing her. He then wins.
    Where’s the fun of that? Where’s the drama? The suspense? The tension? It wouldn’t nearly be half as good as it is now, and Nickelodeon also wouldn’t allow it (I don’t think so).

To your first question, I don’t think so. It seems like it’s her hair, and some shadow.

18. Avatar of RunawayToph
    RunawayToph Said: Comment by RunawayToph on July 2, 2012 at 9:14 am | Permalink

Great. This means that every question will be answered, right? through comics. cnt wait. >.<

19. Avatar of epicbender_01
    epicbender_01 Said: Comment by epicbender_01 on July 2, 2012 at 10:22 am | Permalink

I can’t wait for these comics!

20. Avatar of AvatarAsh
    AvatarAsh Said: Comment by AvatarAsh on July 2, 2012 at 11:33 am | Permalink

This is going to be AWESOME! So glad we are finally going to get some resolution to Zuko AND Azula’s stories!!! :)

21. Avatar of Avatar Yangchen
    Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on July 2, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

i cant wait! but its too bad we might have to wait until next year :( .

22. Avatar of Iroh's Jasmine Tea
    Iroh's Jasmine Tea Said: Comment by Iroh's Jasmine Tea on July 4, 2012 at 6:06 am | Permalink

You can actually read alot of comics online

Yes, but that does nothing to help support the future of Avatar Comics, The Search is only happening because of the great sales of the previous Avatar Books.
    For comics Sales=Everything, so we all need to support the comics by buying them, as that makes Dark Horse and Nick want to put out more which makes us happy.

Meelo Reply:

AMEN to that!

Azulan Reply:

Well said!

23. Avatar of Avatar Yangchen
    Avatar Yangchen Said: Comment by Avatar Yangchen on July 4, 2012 at 6:21 am | Permalink

but at least we get to finally find out about zukos mother and some stuff about azula. :)

24. Avatar of Lauren
    Lauren Said: Comment by Lauren on July 7, 2012 at 8:44 am | Permalink

I feel like myself, and the entire fandom have been waiting for an answer to the whole Ursa situation for a very LONG time! haha I can’t wait to finally see what happened to her. I’m sure they may draw it out into multiple comics though like The Promise.

Ricardo Reply:

For some weird reason, I actually hope that they do draw it out into a series of comics.

I suppose that would mean there’s more side Avatar-related content :)
    Also more publicity, etc.

Lauren Reply:

Oh I really hope they do! It will give me something to continually look forward to, while also knowing myself and the entire fandom will have all of our questions answered about Ursa and such! :D

25. Avatar of theboulder923
    theboulder923 Said: Comment by theboulder923 on July 13, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

No Sokka?

Ricardo Reply:

None on the front cover, but almost very likely he’ll be in The Search somewhere.

26. Avatar of jiang li
    jiang li Said: Comment by jiang li on July 18, 2012 at 11:53 am | Permalink

I can’t wait for this and The Promise Part 3. I’ve always wondered what happened to Zuko’s mother, and I’m pretty curious about Azula. And if they do find Ursa, what’ll it do to Azula? That was her one issue: she believed that Ursa thought of her as a monster. It’s like an itch at my brain.

Can’t wait. :)

27. Avatar of firebenderatticus
    firebenderatticus Said: Comment by firebenderatticus on July 18, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

I usually don’t read comic books, but this sounds awesome I think i will get it.

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yeah I usually don’t either, but these were awesome!

28. Avatar of avatarjavier
    avatarjavier Said: Comment by avatarjavier on July 19, 2012 at 3:24 am | Permalink

can someone please give me a heads up on how many avatar content there is available?? i have just seen the series! no more than that! but now i see comics, webminishows?? (or whatever) please help! im sure there si much more interesting stuff in the comics and all that stuff i didnt even know about!

ATLA – 61 Episodes
    Korra – 12 episodes aired, 40 to come

Comics
    The Promise Part 1 and 2 are out
    Part 3 is out September 26th in comic stores and October 9th elsewhere

The Search is at least 2 parts and Part 1 will most likely be out December or January

The Lost Adventures is out

Webcomics
    Escape From The Spirit World 1- 4 are available to view on Youtube

Other Books
    The Lost Scrolls collection would be the only other Book I would say is crucial, as there are some great unique facts only found in this book.

For Korra check out the Nick.com site for soem extra content in character bios and the Welcome To Republic City game.

CHIBI Continuity
    The 3 shorts are available on Youtube and there is 1 comic in The Lost Adventures in this

Art Book
    ATLA Art of the Animated Series, no extra story, but great for backstory on the show

avatarjavier Reply:

thanks so much airspeed!! im gonna try and get all this stuff!

29. Avatar of avatarcharlei
    avatarcharlei Said: Comment by avatarcharlei on July 23, 2012 at 8:47 am | Permalink

will there be an eposide about what happened

30. Avatar of SyriousBizzness
    SyriousBizzness Said: Comment by SyriousBizzness on July 27, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

I’m so excited for this. Like, you can’t even imagine. I already have The Promise Part 3 on pre-order and when I heard about this. It was just basically me screaming for about half an hour to my friends and family going “WERE GONNA FIND OUT WHERE ZUKOS MOM IS OMG HOW DO I WORDS”. So, yeah.

31. Avatar of QuinnTheEskimo
    QuinnTheEskimo Said: Comment by QuinnTheEskimo on July 28, 2012 at 3:55 am | Permalink

THIS IS GONNA BE EPIC!!!!!!

32. Avatar of Neon Blue
    Neon Blue Said: Comment by Neon Blue on July 30, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

I am fangirling so hard right now.

33. Avatar of Rrockz
    Rrockz Said: Comment by Rrockz on August 9, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

Mental institution lol

34. Avatar of AirBendingSlice
    AirBendingSlice Said: Comment by AirBendingSlice on August 20, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

Cant wait!

35. Avatar of flameio123
    flameio123 Said: Comment by flameio123 on August 20, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

so much foam coming out of my mouth right now i wish i had the book!!

36. Avatar of Sunanna18
    Sunanna18 Said: Comment by Sunanna18 on September 5, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

When does it come out?

March 2013 for Part 1, we won’t get a more exact date for a month or two I think.