Avatar The Last Airbender Series “The Promise: Part 1″ To follow events Shortly after Season 3 in Comic Form – Pre Order Now

Avatar The Promise

We have some AWESOME new Avatar news. This time it is about Avatar Comics from Dark Horse. We found out with the announcement of The Lost Adventures that there would be Graphic novels coming early 2012 that would continue on Avatar The Last Airbender post book 3. Just today we have our first look at the first of what seems to be many Graphic novels.

Important Confirmed Details

• Events will take place 1 year after the end of Season 3
  • Original Series Creators, Mike & Bryan are involved, so this will be way good stuff
  • Zuko Appears to have yet another cool new hairstyle :)
  • Developed by the Geniuses behind Avatar The Last Airbender: The Lost Adventures a huge hit.
  • Coming January 25th 2011, but Pre-Order Today!

Likely Rumors about this Series

• The fate of Zuko’s Mom will Likely be covered
  • Shipping Answers? Probably

Here is the cover of Avatar The Last Airbender – The Promise part 1

Avatar The Promise

With a release Date of January 25th 2012, The Promise Part 1 will be the continuation of ATLA.

The product page can be seen here

Click Here To Pre-Order And Learn More About Avatar The Last Airbender: The Promise Part 1

Now for more specifics about this book

• It will have the same dimensions as The Lost Adventures at 6 inch by 9 inch, but will be 80 pages long the equivalent of just less than 4 single issue comic books.
  • Art will be done by Gurihiru, who’s work can be seen in The Lost Adventures in Dirty Is Only Skin Deep, Boys Day Out and Monster Slayer etc.( Dirty Is Only Skin Deep can be read here http://avatarthelastairbenderonline.com/avatarthelastairbenderfreecomics/)
  • It will be written by Gene Luen Yang, who is the author of the book American Born Chinese, I don’t think he has been “ involved with Avatar before now
  • It will come out January 25th 2012
  • While The Lost adventures had an age rating of 8+ this book is 10+ so I presume things will be more serious here.
  • The price on the solicit is $10.99
  • They will take place 1 year after the end of the series
  • This will be the first of a trilogy of books.

And probably the most interesting part of this, the description

“This series of digests rejoins Aang and friends for exciting new adventures, beginning with a faceoff against the Fire Nation that threatens to throw the world into another war, testing all of Aang’s powers and ingenuity!

“The continuation of” Airbender and the link to its upcoming sequel,” Legend of Korra!”

“tale of a world learning the ways of peace after a century of war. It is a difficult lesson, one that will threaten to tear the friendship of Avatar Aang and Fire Lord Zuko apart, and plunge the world back into war.”

This tells us a few things, that this will in some way link into Korra, which to me suggests that the various volumes each split into parts will cover Aang and co at a different point in their post war lives. The Fire Nation still have some people loyal to Ozai’s regime, which Aang and Zuko will need to sort out and may leave them with opposing ideas on how to do this.

Here is a blog post from the author ,Gene Luen Yang about his involvement

I am super excited, but what are your thoughts on what will be the continuation of Avatar The Last Airbender ?

Here is a Blog Post From the Publisher with More Information

1. sylvia Said: Comment by sylvia on August 28, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

wow I’m super excited! I’ve really wanted to know what happens to team avatar after the series. The same with the lost adventures though, i’m not too happy with the cover art shown. Zuko does Not look like that. I’m still excited for the stories though :-)

That is Gurihiru’s unique Art style, he goes for a more cartoony style, the inside will have the same style of art. On the plus side, it is full of character and emotions/facial expression.
    Plus Cover Images are never really the best way to judge a books are on as usually the cover is an out of context image that is never actually seen in the book.

Sylvia L. Reply:

yea i know not to judge a book by its cover :), but i guess i was hoping for the art style used in the series. this style makes it cute and i like that

2. Avatar of Dom
    Dom Said: Comment by Dom on August 28, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Already put a countdown in my phone to make the wait no less easy!

- Dom 8)

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Haha Good idea. I can’t wait for these ones, Zukos hairstyle is pretty interesting.

3. Sela Said: Comment by Sela on August 28, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Personally I would really like to sink my teeth into a full length novel on Aang and the gang. Don’t get me wrong, the graphic novels are great and I really admire the art, but so much more is conveyed in a traditional novel. I hope the creators will consider that option in the future. In the mean time I am really looking forward to this first installment!

I like the idea of a Novel too, but I can definitely see why they have no plans atm, Because Avatar’s animation and look is so key to the whole show they like the medium of comics as a non show way to continue on the story, this way they can show us what happened and not just tell us.

I would not fully agree that more is conveyed in a novel, because a novel lacks the Art that comics have and the art takes the place of most of the descriptive parts of a novel.
    And this format of a graphic novel, it is very close to being a novel since it will be longer stories and not short ones like The Lost Adventures.

Lets not forget that Avatar is a kids show and if they went for a novel it would either alienate the older fans who want complex plots and more mature themes or alienate the kids who I doubt many would read a full length novel.
    Hence why a comic works very well for Avatar, the kids get colourful and good art like the show and will be more interested in reading the story, and the more adult fans get the complex story and art to accompany it.

Again I would love an Avatar Novel, but I can see why there have been no plans as of yet.

4. Simon Earle Said: Comment by Simon Earle on August 29, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Permalink

PLEASE HAVE AZULA BE IN THISS!

Well the blog post linked mentions that we will see what happens to both Villains and Heroes. So I think Azula will definitely be in this, and If Ursa is alive I can definitely see some emotional scenes with Azula, Ursa and Zuko.

5. Avatar of Steve
    Steve Said: Comment by Steve on August 30, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Can’t wait!

Hope they have it on amazon!

The preorder there is not up yet, I am checking everyday though.
    Hopefully soon.

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yeah I’ve been checking Amazon as well, surprised it’s not up there yet.

Avatar of

Airbender Prodigy Reply:

It’s there now, only strange part about it is that it has no picture of the actual book. But I’m sure that’ll be up soon enough.

I pre-ordered (+

Yeah I saw that, it is not up on Amazon.co.uk yet (Cheaper for me in Ireland to order from here), I am thinking that when that goes up we may get a preview with a few pages from inside the book as we did with The Lost Adventures.

6. will landis Said: Comment by will landis on September 1, 2011 at 8:57 am | Permalink

actually zuko might look like that they say the book will pick up the adventures of the gang shortlly after the events of book 3. zuko’s hair by the end of the series looked verry unformal he could have hd it cut to look more formal.

Admin / Jordash Reply:

That’s an interesting idea.

7. Chantel Said: Comment by Chantel on September 1, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Will the trilogy be the only continuation comics that are released?

As far as we know these are. The creators want more comics to happen, and they will if these ones are successful and sell well.
    We will probably get more comics, announced probably after the 3 of these come out.

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yeah at this point looks to be the case, but hopefully more will be coming as well.

Chantel Reply:

Thanks for answering my question.

8. Chantel Said: Comment by Chantel on September 1, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Will the continuation trilogy be the only set of post-season 3 comics that are released?

9. Bulgeroku Said: Comment by Bulgeroku on September 4, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

I am really glad they’ve decided to expand on this and continue off of the series.

I wasn’t really content with the ending, of Ba Sing Se celebrating as if the war was entirely over. They only destroyed the airship fleet, and Ozai was defeated, but what about the rest of the Fire Nation? did they just give up? did they help?

Chantel Reply:

I agree. I kinda wish they would stop there though. I don’t know about you, but I have mixed feelings about LOK. I’m not really looking forward to a new avatar.

Dom Reply:

I thought so at first too. I was a little skeptical that they’d try to expand on a world they made so perfect in every way. I’m SO glad they decided to expand the world in a whole new light as opposed to making a sequel! So many epic franchises lost their initial glory with the release of a sub-par sequel because the first is just so hard to top. That’s why I’m glad they went with the comic book route to satiate our need to find out what happened to Ursa!!

Back to LoK tho.. I was skeptical at first but after watching the trailer at least 10 times as well as watching the ComicCon information session with the creators, all my doubts were immediately washed away. It’s gonna be awesome!!

- DOm

You have to keep in mind that Avatar is not just a solitary show (ATLA and its characters) it is a whole universe, we get backstory on previous Avatars in ATLA and we are interested in them, so what is the problem with the next Avatar ?
    By the sounds of things the story is going to be amazing.

And as Dom said, The creators felt like they could have done better with ATLA and are putting so much time and effort into Korra, they want to make Korra better than ATLA.

I hope that every Avatar fan is willing to give this show a chance.

Chantel Reply:

I would actually prefer that they did stories on previous avatars in order to leave the Gaang’s future open.

10. Avatar of Caleb
    Caleb Said: Comment by Caleb on September 15, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

This is Great!

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yeah it’s exciting.

11. ivean Said: Comment by ivean on September 22, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

man…wish i was in america to be able to purchase this! :( im from the phils. so its kinda hard to buy it here, not to mention the cost of the digest! :((

Admin / Jordash Reply:

I’m pretty sure they will be releasing a digital version as well, i’ll keep an eye out.

12. shivam Said: Comment by shivam on October 3, 2011 at 6:43 am | Permalink

I wanted to know that the avatar aang just die before the series Avatar the legend of korra, and if yes then how

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Probably old age.

random Reply:

katara died in her sleep after her 3rd granchild
    (the fortuneteller episode says that remember)

Indeed, assuming All of Aunt Wu’s predictions are true.

That also means we can pinpoint when she died, she would die shortly after the birth of Meelo, he looks about 7/8/9 so you can estimate that Katara died at about 77 years old.

random Reply:

yepp thats pretty much it
    i cant wait to watch it!!!
    can anyone find out the exact date korra is coming out?
    and 26 episodes seriously?
    hopefully there’s more that i just dont know about =(
    =D

We do not know an exact date yet, the show is still a good amount of time away about Mid/late 2012. They are on schedule with production as far as we know.

Yes it is 26 episodes, it was originally 12 so we have already got extra. I doubt we will get more that we don’t know about yet.

Don’t forget Avatar is not just shows anymore , we have comics to continue on the story, if the new ones sell well I am confident we will get more. Possibly to continue on Korra.

random Reply:

thats awesome i already ordered all in need
    so im set
    this is really awesome
    im glad they made a sequel and all =)

13. ashley Said: Comment by ashley on October 10, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

will it be sold in canada?

Admin / Jordash Reply:

Yes, most definitely.

Yes, it should be available in any comic store and a few bigger book stores when it is released.
    If you can’t find it, then Amazon.ca is your best bet, there is a preorder up there for a good price.

ashley Reply:

ok thanks :)

14. Linnea Said: Comment by Linnea on January 4, 2012 at 7:03 am | Permalink

will the promise be shown on nickelodeon or just as comic books?

Why and how would nick show a comic book on tv ?. The Promise is a series of 3 Graphic Novels, and won’t be made into episodes. So yes only available as comic books.

15. Avatar of Water Bending Master
    Water Bending Master Said: Comment by Water Bending Master on January 8, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Ah I can’t wait till The Promise Part 1 comes out! :)

16. jeffrey Said: Comment by jeffrey on July 9, 2012 at 6:55 am | Permalink

will the lost adventures be also be going on tv

17. jeffrey Said: Comment by jeffrey on July 9, 2012 at 6:57 am | Permalink

this sucks they could get a lot more out of it puttting it on tv